Metal Gear Rising: REVENGEANCE | Hype Thread | 8.5 on GameSpot! | Let it Rip!

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by Slashkice (13092 posts) -

ib1ma2PTULM0c7.png

ig93niJPeaPkS.png

ib261o7StIgizM.png

MSRP: $59.99 / £34.99 (Regular) | $149.99 / £99.99 (Limited Edition, EU Version not pictured)

iNYF8L4rD8rOr.png

ibmkMLpaFVuOgr.png

ibagk0OYITcAOn.png

iHxMjm1dCgJSF.png

#2 Posted by Slashkice (13092 posts) -

ibx1lCaM9QHLHp.png

iyiGMsb5fKH5v.png

iNwE0wrF7LITd.png

ibb3bG8wT1qFSH.png

i6ilOZfDaZKNs.png

if2BZVuzCWnXG.png

ilDVU3XaEMjeW.png

iZXzSFAcr2TzW.png

#3 Posted by Slashkice (13092 posts) -

iMtGHhAme4p7w.png

iblROE7NbuBIr3.pngibu5FuJ4H5ALL1.pngibzsCF2jfxsXiY.pngidP3RhwKdWIjP.png

iB4jHaPOhR8Z2.pngibuClrYgVTPPcV.pngiNGB8qhzAjfZZ.pngiPtDUNnqJD0Rk.png

ibuK7jUo4wOgEL.pngiKcqtUZt299P6.pngiRAzr2u8HuVET.pngieoKUPtkklnru.png

iLXWvKZbh2ArK.pngiS9F7mJ7Boc1z.png

ivZTjdTwYruoD.png

ibgYqbgXSy4mtF.png

grrrreatrxzut.png

Full Review

Revengeance may not play like a typical Metal Gear game, but Raidens character arc justifies almost every change to the old formula. Its a beneficial dynamic, and the games biggest success overall. It ultimately tests the hypothesis that theres more to the series than just Snakes and sneaking behind enemy lines, and for the most part, it passes the test. The story may not wow you with its political trappings, but Raiden's transformation and the gameplay that springs from it are the most alluring reasons to give him another shot as the leading man. If you're even vaguely interested in the Metal Gear series or intelligent hack and slash games, do not pass up a chance to play this exciting and addicting hybrid.Peter Brown

gt_logo_front_texty1jwt.png

Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance is an amazing action game that offers a level of exacting fidelity that few can match.GameTrailers

eurogamert6oy8.png

[Metal Gear Rising] is simply the ultimate one-man show, worth its ticket price many times over, an experience that improves exponentially as it gets faster and as you get better.Eurogamer

destructoid-stands-ta4hkl4.gif

Metal Gear Rising is not Solid but still, unmistakably Metal Gear. Despite its lack of seeming significance to the larger scope of the franchise and less complex plot, it does no harm to the setting and features enough action-packed combat that nobody should really give a toss about the story anyway.Destructoid

polygonhxo2b.png

Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance combines reckless abandon with the beauty of precision. It's a fast, frantic, fun game that does its own thing.Polygon

logodbqu0.png

[Metal Gear Rising] is one of the best action games on the market, that anyone with even a passing interest in the genre owes to themselves to pick up.GamingBolt

ign0pox4.png

Risings troubles are rarely enough to derail the incredible momentum of an always-entertaining, action-oriented Metal Gear spinoff.IGN

gr_logo_tumblrxnr2e.png

4/5

Revengeance is unapologetic in the way it indulges your greatest power fantasies, often doing so with such a grandiose display of style that you'll be unable to wipe that ever-present smile from your face.GamesRadar

logo-homet3ppp.png

4/5

The points where the styles of Kojima Productions and PlatinumGames collide make playing Metal Gear Rising a short but enjoyable trip through a post-MGS4 world.GiantBomb

logo79jot.png

Platinum Games and Kojima Productions have made good on their promise to make Raiden an acrobatic, ass-kicking action hero. Its an enjoyable, fast-paced thrill ride, but given the track record of these two titans of Japanese game development, you cant help but think that Rising isnt quite all it couldve been.EGM

#4 Posted by campzor (34932 posts) -
Awesome, 9 i think. If vanquish and bayo are anything to go by.
#5 Posted by Thefatness16 (4672 posts) -

Excellent thread.

It's between this, Destiny(if it comes put this year), and Pokemon X/Y for my GOTY. Gonna vote AAA, because Platinum are amazing.

#6 Posted by finalfantasy94 (26436 posts) -

I know the game is going to kick butt after the demo i played. Just wanna see if LE goes down a bit since I want it. 150 is a bit much. So far plat games only made 1 game I liked mad world and it seems this is going to be another. I still gatta try anarcy reigns though.

#7 Posted by OneSanitarium (6906 posts) -

I expect it to be reviewed at a solid 8, maybe 8.5. Slight chance of a 9, but I don't see it beyond that.

Going to preorder it tomorrow. Grey Fox, Fox Blade, and artbook are too good to pass up.

#8 Posted by jg4xchamp (47906 posts) -
#9 Posted by cainetao11 (17358 posts) -
8.0-8.5 I think.
#10 Posted by DivineSword (15751 posts) -

AA, the demo was good just not great.

#11 Posted by Sword-Demon (6970 posts) -
that HF lamp looks pretty cool, but not worth an extra $90 im guessing it'll score an 8.5
#12 Posted by Some-Mist (5630 posts) -
I think it'll score AA on here, but my personal hype is AAA.
#13 Posted by BrunoBRS (73260 posts) -
every time i hear "let'er rip", i can't help but think of beyblades :|
#14 Posted by NoirLamia777 (2146 posts) -

AA looks fun.

#15 Posted by crimsonman1245 (4253 posts) -

All Platinum Games AAAA hype!

#16 Posted by Yangire (8797 posts) -

every time i hear "let'er rip", i can't help but think of beyblades :|BrunoBRS

The threads slogan should just be "Let it rip!".

#17 Posted by sandbox3d (5116 posts) -

Hyping AAA, probably AA, likely wont get around to playing it.

#18 Posted by BrunoBRS (73260 posts) -

"Let it rip!"

Yangire

http://images2.fanpop.com/image/photos/11400000/Beyblade-image-beyblade-11464707-488-418.jpg

#19 Posted by HaloPimp978 (7287 posts) -

Since Platinum is making it I will say 8.5

#20 Posted by Slashkice (13092 posts) -

The threads slogan should just be "Let it rip!".

Yangire

I like this. Done.

#21 Posted by SuperFlakeman (7342 posts) -

The demo was great but I think I need more time and proper tutorial before I comment in depth. I haven't been following the game so I was in the "wtf am I doing" state lol

Also is that game really 60 frames per second? Impressive.

#22 Posted by BrunoBRS (73260 posts) -
i see my beyblade joke got ruined by hotlinking. *fixes*
#23 Posted by g0ddyX (3914 posts) -

10/10 for what it is and sets out to do.
Solid 9 from here or more.

#24 Posted by sandbox3d (5116 posts) -

10/10 for what it is and sets out to do.

g0ddyX

Funny how you cherry pick the games that you apply this reasoning to.

#25 Posted by faizan_faizan (7866 posts) -
Less.
#26 Posted by madsnakehhh (14269 posts) -

I was honestly expecting much less from this game, even with Platinum on board...however after playing the demo i have to say i'm pretty hyped, i'll go and say AAA even if i know it will get an 8.5 at best, however i really liked the demo, the action is fast peaced, the animations are great, it has challenge, the gameplay is responsive, the boss battle was pretty fun, the gore is over the top yet pretty cool, in other words is everything that DmC is not.

#27 Posted by Slashkice (13092 posts) -
#28 Posted by funsohng (27660 posts) -
9. Unless it has some problems like short length, I don't think there is any action game that can top this game in action aspect any time soon. Oh wait, Vanquish was short and it still got 9. Hmmm Anyways, this game is a sex. So good. Blade mode takes a while to get used to, but parrying.... parrying is just so f*cking awesome. And I love how the game is built around that, making the game something more than a button masher.
#29 Posted by funsohng (27660 posts) -

The demo was great but I think I need more time and proper tutorial before I comment in depth. I haven't been following the game so I was in the "wtf am I doing" state lol

SuperFlakeman
The tutorial mode in the full game is apparently much better and sexier.
#30 Posted by OneSanitarium (6906 posts) -

[QUOTE="SuperFlakeman"]

funsohng

The tutorial mode in the full game is apparently much better and sexier.

I swear i read somewhere the big metal gear fight where Raiden lifts it up is apart of the tutorial.

#31 Posted by DarkLink77 (31697 posts) -

something something something AAA

#32 Posted by PhazonBlazer (11706 posts) -

Sweet thread!

I'll guess AA. Why? Because I don't know.

#33 Posted by Gue1 (9775 posts) -

I was honestly expecting much less from this game, even with Platinum on board...however after playing the demo i have to say i'm pretty hyped, i'll go and say AAA even if i know it will get an 8.5 at best, however i really liked the demo, the action is fast peaced, the animations are great, it has challenge, the gameplay is responsive, the boss battle was pretty fun, the gore is over the top yet pretty cool, in other words is everything that DmC is not.

madsnakehhh

DmC has way better combat in every sense of the word.

#34 Posted by OneSanitarium (6906 posts) -

[QUOTE="madsnakehhh"]

Gue1

He never said the combat was better than DmC, just that in every other department MGR is better.

#35 Posted by madsnakehhh (14269 posts) -

[QUOTE="madsnakehhh"]

Gue1

From what i saw perhaps, then again and somehow DmC felt much more like a button masher than this, maybe is the parrying system and Blade mode, that really adds a lot to the combat.

#36 Posted by TheGuardian03 (21692 posts) -
8.5 on here but my personal hype is AAA.
#37 Posted by m_machine024 (14921 posts) -

Nice thread! I'll def check the game out.

#38 Posted by travisstaggs (10536 posts) -

Have a feeling it's gonna get an 8 or 8.5 on here.

I personally hope it's AAA.

#39 Posted by rjdofu (9170 posts) -
Hype AAA, but will probably get AA on here.
#40 Posted by timmy00 (15360 posts) -

Knowing GS, AA but it'd be nice to see this get AAA.

Can't wait for the game, already got it preordered.

#41 Posted by DISSESHOWEDO (1775 posts) -

AAA, for me, probably 8.5 on GS ! Can't wait for my CE to arrive, took 6 day paid leave for this game !!!

Rising-Premium-Pack-21.jpg

#42 Posted by hayato_ (5008 posts) -

I'm going with A.

Didn't like the demo or controls. Will stil pick it up at $15 to $20 bucks later down the road. I think blade mode was cool enough 

#43 Posted by GamerwillzPS (8530 posts) -

A massive QTE fest.

#44 Posted by Master_ShakeXXX (13361 posts) -

AA

#45 Posted by El_Zo1212o (6010 posts) -
I preordered at Gamestop because the demo sold me and the Cyborg Ninja outfit is just ten kinds of badass. There's just one thing about the game I don't understand- in a future where any half assed merc can get bionic implants to enhance everything from his physical strength to the size and effectiveness of his wang, why does Raiden use a rolled-up bandana for an eyepatch?
#46 Posted by Slashkice (13092 posts) -

A note about the DLC, if anyone cares:

kVaImTT.png

#47 Posted by Iantheone (8242 posts) -
The costume design for the character on the "Media" Header is pretty... interesting >.>
#48 Posted by Slashkice (13092 posts) -

The costume design for the character on the "Media" Header is pretty... interesting >.> Iantheone

Yep, that's one of the bosses, Mistral. :]

tumblr_mgth3mwaml1r7x3ijm8.gif

#49 Posted by LadyBlue (3928 posts) -

A note about the DLC, if anyone cares:

kVaImTT.png

Slashkice
Sounds like the capcom pr team. Honestly don't care, the game is shaping up to be pretty good. :D
#50 Posted by Quaker-w00ts (1585 posts) -

Nice thread, gonna go AA