Metal Gear Online Could've Been Better On XBL..

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Mystery_Writer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 Mystery_Writer
Member since 2004 • 8351 Posts

.. or it would've faced the same issues it's having on PSN?

Couth_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 Couth_
Member since 2008 • 10369 Posts
It would be the same
locopatho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 locopatho
Member since 2003 • 24259 Posts
To me, MGS just doesn't work as a multiplayer game.
TenP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#4 TenP
Member since 2006 • 3338 Posts

PSN offered Konami to run the game on their servers, Konami said no to PSN and they would've said the same to XBL.

It would've failed on Xbox as much as it does on PS3.

gtawoof

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 gtawoof
Member since 2003 • 1843 Posts

MGO is good. It's polished, has MANY features, customization, many weapons, good maps, and everything. Overall it's a great online experience

It has a learning curve, but thats cuz its for hardcore gamers, and when you get into it for a few days it gets good.

However imo, it's just not as FUN as Call of Duty 4. it's not as pick up and play, also its slower, and I like COD4's fast gameplay more right now, but that'll change when Socom comes out.

Mystery_Writer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Mystery_Writer

PSN offered Konami to run the game on their servers, Konami said no to PSN and they would've said the same to XBL.

TenP

why would they say no to XBL if it's free hosting?

SSJ_Nega

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 SSJ_Nega
Member since 2005 • 3171 Posts

It would be the same.

I've never seen a company fail so much like they are now and for the past few days.

terdoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#8 terdoo
Member since 2006 • 5306 Posts
Konami is bad at mannaging multiplayer games.Why do I need to make two online ids?I dont know.
Albanian_Killa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Albanian_Killa
Member since 2007 • 1685 Posts
It's not even on PSN wiseguy. Konami decided to run it off their service. Do research before hitting the "New Topic" button.
Albanian_Killa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Albanian_Killa

Konami is bad at mannaging multiplayer games.Why do I need to make two online ids?I dont know.terdoo

So you can buy off of the MGO Shop. If they sold on the PlayStation Store, Sony would take some profits. With this, Konami keeps all the cash to themselves! Greedy bastards.

heretrix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#11 heretrix
Member since 2004 • 37881 Posts

Mystery_Writer

That's the problem. IT ISN'T ON PSN. This is Konami's mess. But I blame Sony also because they made it easy for developers/publishers to pull crap like this. And when it goes bad......Well just look.

fiscope

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 fiscope
Member since 2006 • 2426 Posts
It also could have been better on PSN.... Why konami didn't integrate it with PSN accounts, I have no idea....
Albanian_Killa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Albanian_Killa
[QUOTE="Mystery_Writer"]

heretrix

That's the problem. IT ISN'T ON PSN. This is Konami's mess. But I blame Sony also because they made it easy for developers/publishers to pull crap like this. And when it goes bad......Well just look.

I'm sure they let them do this as one of the few conditions to keep MGS4 exclusive. Konami would then not let MGO go on XBL which MS also insists on having. Every single other game I think will be on PSN. This is Konami's dirty, greedy work. I'm sure it won't happen with any other dev/publisher/game that doesn't have the MGS name to it.

Solid_Snake300

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Solid_Snake300
Member since 2008 • 141 Posts
MGO would suck no matter what platform, just appreciate the fantastic single player.
DJCUEBALL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 DJCUEBALL
Member since 2008 • 2562 Posts
Coulda, Woulda, Shoulda, not gonna happen-a.
ThugKing6669

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 ThugKing6669
Member since 2008 • 725 Posts

It's really dissapointing to hear that Konami did such a bad job with MGO. Although they don't really have much experience in the online gaming field. As far as I know MGO, and the online modes for Metal Gear Solid 3 are the only experience that Konami has with online play (unless there's some other games they did that have online), so maybe they just need more practice at how to get it right.

locopatho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 locopatho
Member since 2003 • 24259 Posts

It's really dissapointing to hear that Konami did such a bad job with MGO. Although they don't really have much experience in the online gaming field. As far as I know MGO, and the online modes for Metal Gear Solid 3 are the only experience that Konami has with online play (unless there's some other games they did that have online), so maybe they just need more practice at how to get it right.

ThugKing6669

Pro Evo. Unfortunately that's not very good online either.

GodBox360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 GodBox360
Member since 2008 • 140 Posts

TenP

everygame has to be run wiht XBL servers as I remember reading

Couth_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Couth_
Member since 2008 • 10369 Posts
[QUOTE="TenP"]

GodBox360

everygame has to be run wiht XBL servers as I remember reading

Then it won't happen at all on XBL
sonicmj1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#21 sonicmj1
Member since 2003 • 9130 Posts

If Konami wants to take this path so much that they're shunning the built-in systems that PSN already has, they wouldn't even accept the restrictions that come with Xbox Live.

MGO would be better on PSN, and it would certainly be improved with XBL. But they'd much rather have their own game ID and friends lists, and their own stores that are run out of the PS3's web browser.

Well, whatever works for them...

Mystery_Writer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Mystery_Writer

If Konami wants to take this path so much that they're shunning the built-in systems that PSN already has, they wouldn't even accept the restrictions that come with Xbox Live.

MGO would be better on PSN, and it would certainly be improved with XBL. But they'd much rather have their own game ID and friends lists, and their own stores that are run out of the PS3's web browser.

sonicmj1

wouldn't sony be partially blamed here for letting PSN be this loose allowing devs do such disservice to PSN users?

or this is absoluely outside sony's control.. & such thing could've happen on XBL as well (multiple IDs, downloads outside market place.. etc..)?

DonPerian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#23 DonPerian
Member since 2005 • 3773 Posts

TenP

See, there's the difference. MS wouldn't offer. They mandate how multiplayer works so it fits into the code. If it were on 360, you wouldn't have to go through that ridiculous registration process.

skirlnik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 skirlnik
Member since 2004 • 909 Posts

Better on XBL? Easier, maybe. Better, no. Keyboard & mic support, free online play, and really solid gameplay make it great. You guys want to get on internet forums and complain - enjoy that. My 360-only friend (he's working on getting a PS3) was really impressed with the general action, customizability, squad-based gameplay, graphics, and everything else about MGO.

Your quibbles do nothing to defuse that. People were clearly looking for something to bash about a game that received 10/10 here, and the online is arguably the weakest part of that 10/10. Even so, it's a great game that encourages teamwork and has very little lag that I've seen.

Haters go home.

naruto7777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 naruto7777
Member since 2007 • 8059 Posts
no
sonicmj1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#26 sonicmj1
Member since 2003 • 9130 Posts
[QUOTE="sonicmj1"]

Mystery_Writer

wouldn't sony be partially blamed here for letting PSN be this loose allowing devs do such disservice to PSN users?

or this is absoluely outside sony's control.. & such thing could've happen on XBL as well (multiple IDs, downloads outside market place.. etc..)?

Sony's system has things in place such that a company doesn't need to do the sort of things Konami did with MGO, but it's open enough that there are workarounds.

On the other hand, I doubt Microsoft would have allowed MGO certification on their platform in its current online state. The only game I have seen circumvent the Xbox Live system on the platform was Final Fantasy XI, and that's a MMORPG.

Hitman533

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Hitman533
Member since 2008 • 642 Posts
MGO isnt that bad, I play it at least everyday. It got some interesting features that other games like cod4 should've used.
Avatar image for mistervengeance
mistervengeance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#28 mistervengeance
Member since 2006 • 6769 Posts

as the core game, no. but because it was part of xbox live, it would be better due to many factors

cross game invites, in game voice chat/mesaging, standard microphones, etc. achievements

Tiefster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

#29 Tiefster
Member since 2005 • 14639 Posts
[QUOTE="TenP"]

Mystery_Writer

why would they say no to XBL if it's free hosting?

If you want to run your own servers then it's your business. Maybe Konami doesn't want another company hangoing over their heads.
diped

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 diped
Member since 2008 • 2005 Posts
it would be the same clunky mess that it is on PSN, its not PSN people are complaining about, its the gameplay of MGO.
Avatar image for ReverseCycology
ReverseCycology

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 ReverseCycology
Member since 2006 • 9717 Posts

This is what happens when you let these individual gaming devs handle the online part.

Since XBL mandate things, you could expect using one gamertag, having Achievements, and everyone have headsets.

Mongo-Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Mongo-Boss
Member since 2008 • 2108 Posts
It's not on PSN, MGO was built from the ground up so Konami could milk. I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't want to do it on the 360 just because they would have to share profits. Can you imagine how horrible it would be if Konami and MS joined forces? It would be the biggest milkage ever .
opex07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 opex07
Member since 2007 • 2236 Posts

It would probably be better since MS would manage and offer the tools needed to operate the servers, avoiding the need for konami to try and manage there own servers and how players go about adding content to their games.