Media revealing too much about games, example Mass Effect 2

This topic is locked from further discussion.

OwnallConsoles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 OwnallConsoles
Member since 2010 • 404 Posts

I have been in a media blackout of this game for 2 months but every article is revealing more and more. They might as well tell the whole story and everything. Why are games getting overexposure?

XaosII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 XaosII
Member since 2003 • 16705 Posts

The game comes out in two weeks. Theres going to be alot of coverage and info..... None of which you HAVE to read.

salxis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 salxis
Member since 2009 • 4280 Posts
Don't read it then
Sully28

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 Sully28
Member since 2003 • 5097 Posts

Best advice is dont read it. I have had plenty of moments in movies, music, and games ruined because i followed the media of it to much. There is nothing worse then playing one of your most anticipated games and having it feel like you already played just because you already know everything about it.

SpinoRaptor24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 143

#5 SpinoRaptor24
Member since 2008 • 10316 Posts

It's best to stay away from the Internet a couple of weeks before a blockbuster game comes out.

I know I did before the release of Halo 3.

Hellcat-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#6 Hellcat-
Member since 2008 • 1818 Posts
[QUOTE="SpinoRaptor24"]

It's best to stay away from the Internet a couple of weeks before a blockbuster game comes out.

its really annoying, even gamespot shows a friend in army of two 40th day video review being shot by you. Thanks for the spoiler. buts its more then a few weeks, this is why i visit game sites less often, i want new games like mafia2 and heavy rain to be new and spolier free.
AdjacentLives

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 AdjacentLives
Member since 2009 • 1173 Posts

I have been in a media blackout of this game for 2 months but every article is revealing more and more. They might as well tell the whole story and everything. Why are games getting overexposure?

OwnallConsoles

Your living in a time when the media and internet now have the run of the mill. World communication is now near instant and people like to know things before they happen (before release). My advice is to not listen or pay attention to any of it, if you don't want it ruined for you.

Salt_The_Fries

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Salt_The_Fries
Member since 2008 • 12480 Posts
Hmm, in Alan Wake's case it seemed to be exactly the opposite for a long time, in the recent times it changed a bit, but they were only showing some footage but without any context, so still they don't spoon-feed us with every single detail which could possibly ruin the experience beforehand, which is good IMO.
jakarai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#9 jakarai
Member since 2008 • 4289 Posts

OwnallConsoles
This is why I never click on threads that talk about games I know I am going to purchase. It just ruins the whole game for you in the end. The only time I pre view games is when I have my doubts about the game.
Avatar image for darth-pyschosis
darth-pyschosis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 darth-pyschosis
Member since 2006 • 9322 Posts

Yea just don't look

I wish i hadn't seen MGS4's ending a month before it came out

It would've blown my mind had i not know it was gonna happen

moistsandwich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 moistsandwich
Member since 2009 • 25 Posts

Yeah I put myself on media blackout after *** SPOILER *** you probably already know this.... but after they revealed that Shepard wasn't KIA, like the 1st trailer hinted at... I was like... "WTF, what was the point of the KIA trailer, if they are gonna spoil the suspense for us b4 the game even ships"... right then and there, I stopped watching any videos or reading any previews on the game.

The internet is great for many reasons.... but the gaming media ruins the experience for me sometimes. I don't wanna know the story inside and out... plot, characters, locations... etc. b4 I even get the game in my machine.

Some games I dont' mind so much.... but for things that are heavy on story or just stories I'm very interested in... I stay far away from any vids/previews.

PS... The single most annoying thing for me, is it seems all reviewers now go into detail about the story, when reviewing the game. It's absolutely ridiculous... just tell us if the story is good or not. There is absolutely no need to tell us everything that happens in the first hour of the game.

hot114

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#12 hot114
Member since 2003 • 4489 Posts

Simple, Sales is the only thing that matters to a publisher and they finally found out largely thanks to microsoft's halo franchise that marketing is WAY more important than the quality of your product and relieing on word to mouth

Dystopian-X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Dystopian-X
Member since 2008 • 8998 Posts

Simple, Sales is the only thing that matters to a publisher and they finally found out largely thanks to microsoft's halo franchise that marketing is WAY more important than the quality of your product and relieing on word to mouth

hot114

Yeah like FF XIII and GOW3 ;D

VALikimlav

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 VALikimlav
Member since 2010 • 324 Posts

hot114
Halo would be amazing even without marketing. There was no console shooter that was its equal for years. It's just the game people love to hate, I guess. But yeah I read some Heavy Rain previews in GI and I felt like they were telling me too much, especially for a game like that.
skrat_01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 skrat_01
Member since 2007 • 33767 Posts
Its called marketing.
hot114

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 hot114
[QUOTE="hot114"]

VALikimlav
Halo would be amazing even without marketing. There was no console shooter that was its equal for years. It's just the game people love to hate, I guess. But yeah I read some Heavy Rain previews in GI and I felt like they were telling me too much, especially for a game like that.

Would you have been more comfortable if i mentioned MW2's "success"
VALikimlav

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 VALikimlav
Member since 2010 • 324 Posts
[QUOTE="hot114"][QUOTE="VALikimlav"][QUOTE="hot114"]

Would you have been more comfortable if i mentioned MW2's "success"

No, I think MW2 deserves its success, but within the franchise it wasn't the greatest COD, yet it's primed to be the one that sells the most. I think it's overrated, but that doesn't mean I don't think it shouldn't be successful, because I fully enjoyed it and it has a really deep multiplayer. What's with hating any game that's successful?
bobbetybob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#18 bobbetybob
Member since 2005 • 19370 Posts
[QUOTE="Hellcat-"][QUOTE="SpinoRaptor24"]

its really annoying, even gamespot shows a friend in army of two 40th day video review being shot by you. Thanks for the spoiler. buts its more then a few weeks, this is why i visit game sites less often, i want new games like mafia2 and heavy rain to be new and spolier free.

To be fair to Gamespot (and IGN who showed that as well) that guy being shot was in the demo, which I imagine a lot of people who were really interested in the game downloaded anyway so it wasn't too spoilerific.
ImOldGreg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 ImOldGreg
Member since 2007 • 2357 Posts

I actually agree, these days so many Devs reveal too much pre launch in order to market and build hype for their products. Of coarse you can simply not read about it, but that only ignores the problem.

There are better ways to market games I think, emotive teaser trailers and abstract viral campeigns come to mind as more elegant albeit more costly way to talk up a game over just blerting out this that and the other...

Planeforger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Planeforger
Member since 2004 • 19584 Posts
I personally haven't read anything about the plot, at all, and I'm still sort of hyped for the game. I agree that there are way too many spoilers in game marketing these days, but showing off the games' best bits is usually also the best way to get people to buy them, so that's just how it goes. The same thing happens with movies - you could watch, say, the Avatar trailer and know pretty much everything that was going to happen in the film.
Hathesulacon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Hathesulacon
Member since 2008 • 1374 Posts

Its so they let people know that its so much better than Mass Effect 1. A lot of people just dont watch. Try it. also, GOT GAME OF TEH GEN AAAA

Yandere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Yandere
Member since 2009 • 9878 Posts

1.) Don't read/watch it

2.) Don't play games that the media talks about

hot114

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 hot114
[QUOTE="Yandere"]

1.) Don't read/watch it

Thats a nice contradiction there.
foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#24 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

I haven't been paying one lick of attention to anything regarding ME2 and been easily able to avoid it. I don't think it is being "over-exposed," considering I know very little about it. Unfortunately, I won't be able to play it anytime soon.

Yandere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Yandere
Member since 2009 • 9878 Posts

[QUOTE="Yandere"]

1.) Don't read/watch it

hot114

Thats a nice contradiction there.

I was giving him options.

mo0ksi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#26 mo0ksi
Member since 2007 • 12337 Posts
Its called marketing.skrat_01
This. Besides, you're not forced to look at anything.
teh_shogun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 teh_shogun
Member since 2009 • 714 Posts

nothing compared to the spoiler ville's the MGS4 trailers were.

toxicmog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 toxicmog
Member since 2006 • 6355 Posts
Because in this day and age when they spend so much on creating the game they need the money back! So by revealing enough about the game they can get people hooked in to buy it, you wouldn't buy a game you knew nothing about.