Media Create sales (july14-july20) yokai watch 2 300k

• 62 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for blue_hazy_basic
blue_hazy_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#51  Edited By blue_hazy_basic  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 30854 Posts

@ActicEdge said:

@blue_hazy_basic said:

My point is that if you only eat mcdonalds and pizza you'll never know you like something else. Japanese games really don't explore western titles. The same cannot be said for the western consumer. Cultural tastes play a part, but in the west gamers will play alot of wildly different games from east and west. Just because certain titles from the east don't sell well in the west is a complete non-argument, lots of western games crash in the west too and some western genres don't sell as well as others.

I'm not suggesting that people who've played shooters and don't like shooters should run out and buy them. However, if you've never played a shooter maybe you should give it a go before deciding whether its for you or not? (and not just talking about shooters .... )

Instead of trading the same point back and forth let's try this. Last gen, what new IP from Japan sold over a million copies in western territories? No point in using games that were popular in the west when Japan dominated console gaming and that was where the highest quality games came. So in the last 8 or so years, what Japanese games sold big numbers in the West?

Only on for a few secs, but off top of head, dead rising wii sports, wii fit, smash bros, mario galaxy, lost planet (not sure if all were dev'd there, but can't check atm- sure there must be more esp on handhelds)

lordlors

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#52  Edited By lordlors
Member since 2004 • 6128 Posts

@ActicEdge said:

@blue_hazy_basic said:

Taste is taste because you don't experience new things. Its like people saying I only like pepperoni pizza and macdonalds and have never tried to broaden their palate.

No it's not. Taste is taste because you know what you prefer and what you like. I don't like shooters generally speaking. I'm not going to be interested in new shooters because I have gauged I don't enjoy playing them. What you are suggesting in game form is that Japanese players should all run out, buy western games droves, play them and then say, naw not my thing. I'm sorry but it doesn't work that way in the exact same way you don't see JRPGs not named final fantasy doing huge numbers in the west or why visual novels aren't big or why something like Zack and Wiki bombed. A) because marketing plays a roll, and B) because you can't try everything and won't want to try everything.

In Asia excluding Japan, both Japanese and Western titles are popular especially in my country. Having lived in Japan for 2 years now, I can say that the world of Japanese gamers is a pretty small one. I'm currently studying game development at a technical school and aside from the popular AC, CoD, Watch Dogs, etc. titles from the west my classmates don't know Starcraft, Diablo, Braid, etc. when these titles are pretty known in Southeast Asia especially my country. There's a problem when Japan supposed to be one of the most influential countries in video games seem to be ignorant of Western(PC) gaming especially RTS and MMO unlike other Asian countries. Not to mention the indie scene is nonexistent. Japan seriously is way behind now and them not opening up to Western titles and learning something from Western devs especially the indies, isn't helping either.

PurpleMan5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53 PurpleMan5000
Member since 2011 • 10531 Posts

I can't say I blame Japanese gamers for not playing Western titles. Their games have better gameplay than western games for the most part, and I wouldn't be surprised if the Japanese versions of our games are just as bad with the voice acting and translations as the western versions of many Japanese games.

lordlors

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54  Edited By lordlors

@PurpleMan5000 said:

I can't say I blame Japanese gamers for not playing Western titles. Their games have better gameplay than western games for the most part, and I wouldn't be surprised if the Japanese versions of our games are just as bad with the voice acting and translations as the western versions of many Japanese games.

Sorry but Western games especially indie games currently trump on Japanese games. Japanese games nowadays really suck in the gameplay department. Let a Japanese play Braid and see how it goes from there.

PurpleMan5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55  Edited By PurpleMan5000

@lordlors said:

@PurpleMan5000 said:

Sorry but Western games especially indie games currently trump on Japanese games. Japanese games nowadays really suck in the gameplay department. Let a Japanese play Braid and see how it goes from there.

I couldn't disagree with this more. I played Braid and thought it was awful. Super Meat Boy is good. I think just about anyone would have fun with that title.

lordlors

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56 lordlors
@PurpleMan5000 said:

@lordlors said:

@PurpleMan5000 said:

I couldn't disagree with this more. I played Braid and thought it was awful. Super Meat Boy is good. I think just about anyone would have fun with that title.

Different strokes for different folks i guess. It is critically acclaimed and the game design of that game is truly unique and shows the creativity of breaking gameplay standards. Japanese games however stick to their outdated gameplay. Save locations, turn based random battles, etc.

PurpleMan5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57 PurpleMan5000

@lordlors said:
@PurpleMan5000 said:

@lordlors said:

@PurpleMan5000 said:

Different strokes for different folks i guess. It is critically acclaimed and the game design of that game is truly unique and shows the creativity of breaking gameplay standards. Japanese games however stick to their outdated gameplay. Save locations, turn based random battles, etc.

Depending on the genre, save locations are generally a good thing, and turn-based battles make for the most memorable experiences. How anyone can play games like Valkyria Chronicles and The Last Remnant and then turn around and say there is no innovation is beyond me. Both of those games are amazing and have unique turn-based battle systems. Then you have games like Super Mario 3D World, Donkey Kong Country Returns, Pikmin, Persona, SMT, Luigi's Mansion, Fire Emblem, Tactics Ogre, Zelda, Bayonetta, Ninja Gaiden 2, Devil May Cry, and on and on. There are some real gems made in the west, too, but on consoles, Japan is still king.

lordlors

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58  Edited By lordlors

@PurpleMan5000 said:

@lordlors said:
@PurpleMan5000 said:

@lordlors said:

@PurpleMan5000 said:

Depending on the genre, save locations are generally a good thing, and turn-based battles make for the most memorable experiences. How anyone can play games like Valkyria Chronicles and The Last Remnant and then turn around and say there is no innovation is beyond me. Both of those games are amazing and have unique turn-based battle systems. Then you have games like Super Mario 3D World, Donkey Kong Country Returns, Pikmin, Persona, SMT, Luigi's Mansion, Fire Emblem, Tactics Ogre, Zelda, Bayonetta, Ninja Gaiden 2, Devil May Cry, and on and on. There are some real gems made in the west, too, but on consoles, Japan is still king.

Man look at how people play Starcraft 2, CoH, or even Street Fighter and made astonishing finishes. Memorable experiences are made on real time gameplay not turn based. Turn based are for those not accustomed to fast critical thinking and reflexes. It appears you haven't played much Western games especially indie games because on consoles, great Japanese games are fewer and most of them are from Nintendo (which is clear from your list).

PurpleMan5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By PurpleMan5000

@lordlors said:

@PurpleMan5000 said:

@lordlors said:
@PurpleMan5000 said:

@lordlors said:

@PurpleMan5000 said:

Man look at how people play Starcraft 2, CoH, or even Street Fighter and made astonishing finishes. Memorable experiences are made on real time gameplay not turn based. Turn based are for those not accustomed to fast critical thinking and reflexes. It appears you haven't played much Western games especially indie games because on consoles, great Japanese games are fewer and most of them are from Nintendo (which is clear from your list).

I play more western games than eastern. I just enjoy the relatively few Japanese games that I get more than their western counterparts. I enjoyed Dragon Age Origins, for example, but it would have been twice the game if it would have had a grid layout with turn-based combat. The game's combat system suffered in favor of having something that resembled real time combat. Yes, you can pause and set up attack orders, but it is difficult to react. Squad-based games are always better with turn-based combat.

Japanese studios also do genres that are not turn-based, like hack 'n slash, platformers, and fighters, better than the west as well.

lordlors

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60 lordlors
@PurpleMan5000 said:

@lordlors said:

@PurpleMan5000 said:

@lordlors said:
@PurpleMan5000 said:

@lordlors said:

@PurpleMan5000 said:

I play more western games than eastern. I just enjoy the relatively few Japanese games that I get more than their western counterparts. I enjoyed Dragon Age Origins, for example, but it would have been twice the game if it would have had a grid layout with turn-based combat. The game's combat system suffered in favor of having something that resembled real time combat. Yes, you can pause and set up attack orders, but it is difficult to react. Squad-based games are always better with turn-based combat.

Japanese studios also do genres that are not turn-based, like hack 'n slash, platformers, and fighters, better than the west as well.

Dragon Age series suck. Go play The Witcher series. That's a good WRPG. And have you played Starcraft 2 or CoH? Have you seen how pros play and win multiplayer games? That is something you just can't replicate with turn based gameplay. As for platformers, have you played LIMBO, Rayman Origins/Legends, FEZ, etc.? Western devs can compete with the Japanese on the genre. I still find the lack of consciousness of the RTS and MMO genre in Japan pretty weird for a country supposed to be very influential in video games. I mean most Japanese gamers don't know Blizzard or even Valve when other Asians do. WTF.

PurpleMan5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61 PurpleMan5000

@lordlors said:
@PurpleMan5000 said:

@lordlors said:

@PurpleMan5000 said:

@lordlors said:
@PurpleMan5000 said:

@lordlors said:

@PurpleMan5000 said:

Dragon Age series suck. Go play The Witcher series. That's a good WRPG. And have you played Starcraft 2 or CoH? Have you seen how pros play and win multiplayer games? That is something you just can't replicate with turn based gameplay. As for platformers, have you played LIMBO, Rayman Origins/Legends, FEZ, etc.? Western devs can compete with the Japanese on the genre. I still find the lack of consciousness of the RTS and MMO genre in Japan pretty weird for a country supposed to be very influential in video games. I mean most Japanese gamers don't know Blizzard or even Valve when other Asians do. WTF.

Real time combat in The Witcher works because you only control Geralt, and don't have an entire party to manage. I have only played the first game, and I would argue that its combat system is actually kind of weak, anyway. I understand that it has been reworked pretty extensively for TW2.

Yes, I have played and enjoy many RTS games. I prefer TBS, but RTS is great. Western developers are better at both, and this is largely why I prefer PC to consoles.

As for platformers, I have played Rayman Origins/Legends and think they are great. I didn't like FEZ much, and haven't played LIMBO. Super Meat Boy is probably the best western platformer I have played.

nutcrackr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

User Lists: 1

#62  Edited By nutcrackr
Member since 2004 • 13032 Posts

lol xbox 360 at 129 units sold

be interesting come early sept when the xbone launches

also lol, yokai watch is practically pokemon

PapaTrop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#63 PapaTrop
Member since 2014 • 1792 Posts

@blue_hazy_basic said:

@ActicEdge said:

@blue_hazy_basic said:

My point is that if you only eat mcdonalds and pizza you'll never know you like something else. Japanese games really don't explore western titles. The same cannot be said for the western consumer. Cultural tastes play a part, but in the west gamers will play alot of wildly different games from east and west. Just because certain titles from the east don't sell well in the west is a complete non-argument, lots of western games crash in the west too and some western genres don't sell as well as others.

I'm not suggesting that people who've played shooters and don't like shooters should run out and buy them. However, if you've never played a shooter maybe you should give it a go before deciding whether its for you or not? (and not just talking about shooters .... )

Instead of trading the same point back and forth let's try this. Last gen, what new IP from Japan sold over a million copies in western territories? No point in using games that were popular in the west when Japan dominated console gaming and that was where the highest quality games came. So in the last 8 or so years, what Japanese games sold big numbers in the West?

Only on for a few secs, but off top of head, dead rising wii sports, wii fit, smash bros, mario galaxy, lost planet (not sure if all were dev'd there, but can't check atm- sure there must be more esp on handhelds)

The first question that should be asked is "how many new IPs from Japan sold a million copies IN JAPAN ONLY last gen?"

And then from there have the discussion.

Because it's true that there aren't many new IPs from Japan that sell a million in the West, but that's not necessarily a point against Western audiences. I'd say it seems the vast majority of devs in Japan (making console games) make games specifically for the niche Japanese audiences, and their games seem to rarely sell well relatively speaking. It's not as if Japan is making a whole bunch of 5-10+ million selling games that only sell 10k in the West.

How many new IPs sell as well as Yokai Watch in Japan?

PurpleMan5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By PurpleMan5000

It's only a matter of time before Yokai Watch comes to the west, and I fully expect it to be a million+ seller.