Media Create Japan Sales: Mario Kart Domination

• 70 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for blue_hazy_basic
blue_hazy_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#52 blue_hazy_basic  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 30854 Posts

@joehult said:

No surprise, Japan is dead and likes awful craps. No sense in even posting their numbers anymore since Europe now has a larger install base.

The UK alone has a larger install base, never mind Europe as a whole.

lordlors

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#54  Edited By lordlors
Member since 2004 • 6128 Posts
@PurpleMan5000 said:

@lordlors said:
@nintendoboy16 said:

@scottpsfan14 said:

@princessgomez92: Why would there be cow tears over Japanese sales?

Oh, I don't know. The fact that PS4, a console that's kicking the Wii U's ass in NA/EU is actually getting it's ass kicked by the Wii U in a major part of the gaming industry?

Is Japan still a major part of the gaming industry when its influence has waned for the past decade? I mean do gamers still care about japanese games (except for the weaboos)?

A lot of the best games are made in Japan, so if Japanese sales influence which platform those are placed on, then the sales matter.

Sadly no. A lot of the best games for the past decade comes from the Western world and indies had a great part in it. If you talk about the past before HD era then yeah but we live in the present. The Japanese indie scene is unknown and underdeveloped that it is essentially like a ghost. Indie game development where there is no publisher is still foreign to them with the image of an inferior product. Japan still makes great games but the quantity of these great games is very low. Not to mention most games here aren't made for an international audience and are thus usually not translated and sold outside of the country. You have to have both quality and quantity and of course be international to be a major part of the gaming industry. Until now, I'm still amazed at Japanese gamers not knowing Blizzard Entertainment and Braid, coming from the country supposedly known for gaming.

PurpleMan5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55 PurpleMan5000
Member since 2011 • 10531 Posts

@lordlors said:
@PurpleMan5000 said:

@lordlors said:
@nintendoboy16 said:

@scottpsfan14 said:

Oh, I don't know. The fact that PS4, a console that's kicking the Wii U's ass in NA/EU is actually getting it's ass kicked by the Wii U in a major part of the gaming industry?

Is Japan still a major part of the gaming industry when its influence has waned for the past decade? I mean do gamers still care about japanese games (except for the weaboos)?

A lot of the best games are made in Japan, so if Japanese sales influence which platform those are placed on, then the sales matter.

Sadly no. A lot of the best games for the past decade comes from the Western world and indies had a great part in it. If you talk about the past before HD era then yeah but we live in the present. The Japanese indie scene is unknown and underdeveloped that it is essentially like a ghost. Indie game development where there is no publisher is still foreign to them with the image of an inferior product. Japan still makes great games but the quantity of these great games is very low. Not to mention most games here aren't made for an international audience and are thus usually not translated and sold outside of the country. You have to have both quality and quantity and of course be international to be a major part of the gaming industry. Until now, I'm still amazed at Japanese gamers not knowing Blizzard Entertainment and Braid, the country supposedly known for gaming.

Last gen we got Valkyria Chronicles, The Last Remnant, Resonance of Fate, Ni No Kuni, Vanquish, Nier, Lost Odyssey, The World Ends with You, Muramasa, Ninja Gaiden 2, Street Fighter 4, Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn, Xenoblade Chronicles, Super Mario Galaxy 1 & 2, Zelda Twilight Princess and Skyward Sword, No More Heroes, Monster Hunter 3, Bayonetta, Dragon Quest 9, among others. I would trade the vast majority of western games for those titles.

santoron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#56 santoron
Member since 2006 • 8584 Posts

Less than 20k WiiUs on MK release week? Lol, so much for that system seller hype.

@musicalmac said:

SUPER low PS4 sales. Good gravy.

@TwistedShade said:

Japanese gamer's aren't fanboys and recognize there's no reason to buy a system with no games. Which is why the PS4 is doing so badly.

Yeah. I wonder what game it will take to get the market re-energized, or if anything can. I'm honestly surprised at the tiny WiiU bump, and I was the one saying it'd be smaller than Char and co. were hoping for. Shifting gaming trends and rising taxes are doing a real number on hardware over there. Not to mention the Japanese focused library makes the barren western library look stellar.

Honest question to those that follow Japanese gaming: What's on the horizon that might excite gamers?

Because if we can't find something to bring them back to "real" gaming platforms, we may have to wall off Japan to contain the mobile threat! ;P

lordlors

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57 lordlors
Member since 2004 • 6128 Posts
@PurpleMan5000 said:

@lordlors said:
@PurpleMan5000 said:

@lordlors said:
@nintendoboy16 said:

@scottpsfan14 said:

Sadly no. A lot of the best games for the past decade comes from the Western world and indies had a great part in it. If you talk about the past before HD era then yeah but we live in the present. The Japanese indie scene is unknown and underdeveloped that it is essentially like a ghost. Indie game development where there is no publisher is still foreign to them with the image of an inferior product. Japan still makes great games but the quantity of these great games is very low. Not to mention most games here aren't made for an international audience and are thus usually not translated and sold outside of the country. You have to have both quality and quantity and of course be international to be a major part of the gaming industry. Until now, I'm still amazed at Japanese gamers not knowing Blizzard Entertainment and Braid, the country supposedly known for gaming.

Last gen we got Valkyria Chronicles, The Last Remnant, Resonance of Fate, Ni No Kuni, Vanquish, Nier, Lost Odyssey, The World Ends with You, Muramasa, Ninja Gaiden 2, Street Fighter 4, Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn, Xenoblade Chronicles, Super Mario Galaxy 1 & 2, Zelda Twilight Princess and Skyward Sword, No More Heroes, Monster Hunter 3, Bayonetta, Dragon Quest 9, among others. I would trade the vast majority of western games for those titles.

Aside from Nintendo's games and action and fighting games, most of the titles you mentioned haven't been as influential as Braid, Minecraft, FEZ, Super Meat Boy, etc. The Witcher series trumps modern JRPGs. Japan hasn't made any game that can match the storytelling of The Walking Dead, an indie game. Japan still hasn't opened up to RTS. In the Western world, all kinds of genres exist and are recognized. There are a lot of issues holding back the Japanese video game industry. Honestly, with the current condition, Japan just doesn't have the capacity to replicate the past's glory and fame. Mobile gaming is eating up the industry here. I've been to TGS twice already. A mobile game company's cubicle was as big as Sony's and a big part of the building was dedicated solely to mobile gaming. I'm not sure with E3 but at least with E3, consoles still dominate and PC will always get multiplatform and indie games.

PurpleMan5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58  Edited By PurpleMan5000
Member since 2011 • 10531 Posts

@lordlors: I'm not saying I would want to give up the best of the Western games, either. I would hate to miss out on the best Japanese games on consoles, though. They really are still very good.

GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#59 GreySeal9
Member since 2010 • 28247 Posts

ITT: a few rather salty cows.

Giancar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60 Giancar
Member since 2006 • 19159 Posts

Bad sales for the PS4, really bad sales. Need games.

Worse for the WiiU. I expected better with the release of the highest Nintendo profile game for a while. WiiU's fate is set in stone.

Shottayouth13-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62 Shottayouth13-
Member since 2009 • 7018 Posts

Consoles are officially dead in Japan.

sailor232

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#63 sailor232
Member since 2003 • 6880 Posts

PS3 > Ps4. Last gen FTW.

GamingGod999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64 GamingGod999
Member since 2011 • 3135 Posts

Hardware sales are piss-poor.

AM-Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By AM-Gamer
Member since 2012 • 8116 Posts

@charizard1605: Its good they can do well in Japan. In the rest of the world they are getting murdered.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

#66 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
Member since 2006 • 82724 Posts

@AM-Gamer said:

@charizard1605: Its good they can do well in Japan. In the rest of the world they are getting murdered.

Were. MK8 seems to have re-energized the Wii U worldwide.

AM-Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67 AM-Gamer

@charizard1605: and I'm glad it did , but it's still far from the PS4. And with no third party support it's solely up to Nintendo to keep the console alive.

PsychoLemons

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68 PsychoLemons
Member since 2011 • 3183 Posts

Well then, it's official. PS3>>>PS4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@AM-Gamer said:

@charizard1605: and I'm glad it did , but it's still far from the PS4. And with no third party support it's solely up to Nintendo to keep the console alive.

Oh, don't get me wrong- I'm not saying the Wii U will ever do as well as the PS4. I am just saying it will do well, period, on its own standards, it will do better than the ghastly numbers it has been posting so far. That really isn't much of a stretch, is it?

AM-Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70 AM-Gamer

@charizard1605: If they have some good titles at E3 and keep it consistent then they have a chance. I would like to see it at least equal the GC.

Avatar image for drummerdave9099
drummerdave9099

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71  Edited By drummerdave9099
Member since 2010 • 4606 Posts

If PS4 was leading Japan sales then I'm sure Japan sales wouldn't matter at all

Right cows?

WiiU won this month in Japan, let them have the victory.

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#72 Bigboi500
Member since 2007 • 35550 Posts

@big_mak523 said:

It's funny how a few months ago, it was terrible that the Wii U was being outsold by last generation hardware, but now that it's the PS4, I hardly hear anything... Strange...

Moospot.

super600

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#73  Edited By super600
Member since 2007 • 33103 Posts

@Suppaman100 said:

@super600 said:

@Suppaman100 said:

@super600 said:

@Suppaman100 said:

LOL at charizard posting these japan sales numbers every week and thinking this makes the Wii U's situation any less worse. LOL

At the rate the ps4 is selling it will be lucky if it even beats the WiiU's ltd ever in Japan. Even if the PS4 beats the WiiU in Japan it probably won't be by much(1 to 2 million max probably if it's unlucky). We look at the state of the console and handheld industry all over the world on SW and not just in the western world.

In the end it's only the total number that counts. And worldwide the picture is totally different.

But Japan can still have an affect on the console's final ltd. Sony will now have to rely on mostly NA and Europe to sell the ps4. Smaller countries and Japan will most likely not help the PS4's ltd that much.

Japan is a special case, it's one of the only nations were handheld gaming really dominates.

Don't think Japan will play a big role in the sales war since it's between PS4 and Xbone. The Wii U may live in Japan but in the rest of the world the Wii U is...dead.

It won;t play a big role, but japan and developing/smaller countries may determine if the PS4 ever does significantly better than the PS3.The xbox 360 and ps3 struggled to sell to developing countries.Sony now needs to focus on the developing countries if they ever want to the PS4 to do significantly better than the PS3 since it's kinda useless now for sony to focus on Japan again since they kinda failed to focus on the Japanese market while developing the PS4.

Kjranu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#74 Kjranu
Member since 2012 • 1802 Posts

@charizard1605 said:

@blue_hazy_basic said:

Really bad that the PS4 only managed to chart 1 game too. Looks like the Japanese are more prepared than the rest of the world to sit and wait for a next gen console. That is if they even care #handheldgamingdomination

The Japanese, it seems, won't fall for Sony's empty hype and promises like everyone else did :(

Erm, empty hype? I bought a PS4 in advance because of all the great exclusive games on PS3 that I, personally, enjoyed and got my money's worth. Their track record is great and I expect them to repeat previous successes on PS4 as all indicators are pointing that way.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 219

#75 Jag85
Member since 2005 • 19543 Posts

@blue_hazy_basic said:

@joehult said:

No surprise, Japan is dead and likes awful craps. No sense in even posting their numbers anymore since Europe now has a larger install base.

Only in terms of console & PC gaming. If we mean video gaming as a whole, including handhelds, mobiles, and arcades, then Japan still has a huge gaming market, with revenues comparable to North America/Europe/China as a whole.

Thunderdrone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77 Thunderdrone
Member since 2009 • 7154 Posts

HARDWARE:

PlayStation 4: 6,508

aroxx_ab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#78 aroxx_ab
Member since 2005 • 13236 Posts

What a shitty time for Xbox, lol

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@Jag85 said:

@blue_hazy_basic said:

@joehult said:

Only in terms of console & PC gaming. If we mean video gaming as a whole, including handhelds, mobiles, and arcades, then Japan still has a huge gaming market, with revenues comparable to North America/Europe/China as a whole.

You should know better than to bump up a thread that is four months old.