Maybe Wii U is not so bad after all

• 85 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

User Lists: 0

#51  Edited By deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
Member since 2006 • 82724 Posts

@farrell2k said:

People buy Nintendo consoles to play Nintendo games. If you buy it for that purpose, you will love it.

This right here is something Nintendo really needs to address, and fast.

PurpleMan5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#52 PurpleMan5000
Member since 2011 • 10531 Posts
@StrongBlackVine said:

@foxhound_fox said:

@2ndwonder said:

The WiiU just needs more good games. I don't think it is a bad console. But since it doesn't have a lot going for it, it's not appealing to anyone.

The crazy thing is, is that it already has several good games. More than either the Bone or the PS4.

• Super Mario 3D World
  • Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze
  • Lego City Undercover
  • Pikmin 3
  • TLoZ: Wind Waker HD
  • The Wonderful 101
  • ZombiU

That's a sizeable list for anyone. All it's missing is Mario Kart and Smash Bros. and anyone who enjoys simply "fun" games should get one.

None of those interest me outside of the Zelda rehash which I still don't care to play. Pretty sure the PS4 exclusive list will be better and longer than that by the time it has been out 17 months or so....

Unless Sony has a few unannounced games that are going to be released over the next 12 months, the PS4 exclusive list is going to be worse and shorter.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#53 jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64037 Posts

It's a Platinum Games box.

It would be nice if it was anything beyond a Platinum Games box.

Avatar image for StrongBlackVine
StrongBlackVine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54  Edited By StrongBlackVine
Member since 2012 • 13262 Posts

@PurpleMan5000 said:
@StrongBlackVine said:

@foxhound_fox said:

@2ndwonder said:

The WiiU just needs more good games. I don't think it is a bad console. But since it doesn't have a lot going for it, it's not appealing to anyone.

The crazy thing is, is that it already has several good games. More than either the Bone or the PS4.

• Super Mario 3D World
  • Lego City Undercover
  • Pikmin 3
  • The Wonderful 101
  • ZombiU

That's a sizeable list for anyone. All it's missing is Mario Kart and Smash Bros. and anyone who enjoys simply "fun" games should get one.

None of those interest me outside of the Zelda rehash which I still don't care to play. Pretty sure the PS4 exclusive list will be better and longer than that by the time it has been out 17 months or so....

Unless Sony has a few unannounced games that are going to be released over the next 12 months, the PS4 exclusive list is going to be worse and shorter.

You seriously think Sony doesn't have any unannounced games that will be released in the next 12 months? They haven't to announce anything because PS4 is dominating. E3 will have see some reveals. Also MLB The Show, Drive Club, The Order 1886, Lily Bergamo and Deep Down could beat that list without any other announcement. The PS4 exclusives will definitely outsell most of those flops.

Pffrbt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#55 Pffrbt
Member since 2010 • 6612 Posts

The Wii U currently has more good games already on it and more interesting games coming out on it than either the PS4 or Xbone. It also has some of the more visually stunning games thanks to having games with actually appealing art styles.

Pffrbt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56  Edited By Pffrbt
Member since 2010 • 6612 Posts

@jg4xchamp said:

It's a Platinum Games box.

It would be nice if it was anything beyond a Platinum Games box.

PG is all you need. PG is one of the only developers that makes worthwhile games anymore.

AznbkdX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#57  Edited By AznbkdX
Member since 2012 • 4284 Posts

Its a great system to me since it plays what I like. Since this is sw I would even hazard to say some of the stuff it does is better than the ps4s functionality. The browser, pic sharing and sending, typing out things, the included apps, miiverse (sort of if not including Facebook and the like), and off tv features as of now are superior to what the ps4 got that is similar.

Too bad it won't get enough support though. I would still say that it is an excellent secondary machine that any videogame fan should check into at some point. At least for me it is has plenty worth a 200 plus dollar price tag.

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58  Edited By MirkoS77
Member since 2011 • 17640 Posts

For the games on offer the U is about a $100 value to me. I couldn't care less for any Mario, meh on Kong, W101 looks interesting but not assured, Zelda's years away, I won't even consider any eshop or online offerings until account happens and price drops, REALLY want Pikmin but that's it. Just not enough reason so far.

Plus Nintendo's giving me no reason to get excited. No major announcements. They toss out their games with little fanfare or marketing support. They don't even seem to be trying to get attention or seem to care. So I don't care. They're boring and conservative. And in that case, so am I with my wallet. Perhaps when they get a fire lit under their ass again I'll come to care to notice. Until then I'll give my money to companies that really are willing to fight for it.

Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59 SolidGame_basic  Online
Member since 2003 • 44946 Posts

@Randolph said:

@SolidGame_basic said:

I also don't have to plunk down on paying for online.

That's only because they can't create a service thats worth paying for. If they could find a way to make such a service, they would charge for it in a heart beat and you know it. Fortunately for you Nintendo is bafflingly incompetent when it comes to absolutely anything online related, so in all likelihood they won't get a service worth paying up and running until some time in the 2020's.

The Wii U is an abysmally bad console in every conceivable way. It just cannot be defended anymore.

Have you even tried Wii U's online? the mii service is excellent and is something that both consoles could learn from

F-Minus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60 F-Minus
Member since 2005 • 1009 Posts
@charizard1605 said:

@farrell2k said:

People buy Nintendo consoles to play Nintendo games. If you buy it for that purpose, you will love it.

The system is missing more core mature games, but I wouldn't necessary want Call of Duty, Titanfall or Infamous on the Wii U, well I wouldn't be bother, I just wouldn't buy it for that particular console. What I'm missing right now is a new Metroid, Zelda, etc., core Nintendo games that are not necessary games that mostly target kids. Mario Kart 8 will be a system seller regardless and it looks good, Bayonetta 2 will possibly be awesome too, and I bet both Metroid and Zelda will come eventually.

So yeah, I guess they might need more 3rd party games, but like Farrell2k said, I buy Nintendo consoles for Nintendo games.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#61 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

@StrongBlackVine said:

None of those interest me [...]

Great, then Nintendo doesn't care about you or your money.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62 foxhound_fox

@StrongBlackVine said:

Also MLB The Show, Drive Club, The Order 1886, Lily Bergamo and Deep Down could beat that list without any other announcement.

I can't wait till each and every one of these games, aside from the MLB one, flops harder than inFAMOUS II.

Cows literally will hype anything if it's exclusive, won't they?

svaubel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 133

#64 svaubel
Member since 2005 • 4571 Posts

@treedoor said:

If it actually got a consistent flow of good games it'd be worth it.

With that said, the other consoles suffer from this as well. I'm really not sure why anyone is excited about console gaming nowadays. It just seems way too expensive for what you get.

My like for gaming in general is hanging on by a thread, just hardly have the time anymore. Why I went with only one console this gen. I went with WiiU because my favorite games are only found on Nintendo systems.

From what Ive seen so far, and Ive seen a lot since roommate has both Xbone and PS4; neither look very impressive. None of the current gen systems have much in the pipeline. It's to be expected as development costs skyrocket. This makes game releases more sparse.

SakusEnvoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65 SakusEnvoy
Member since 2009 • 4764 Posts

@Coolyfett said:

@Xplode_games said:

What is it with the silly Wii U threads?

Nintendo really needs to release a device that allows 3DS games to play on an HDTV. Wii U is down, invest your efforts in the 3DS Nintendo.

A 400x240 image would look incredibly ugly on an HDTV, though. I think a 4.88" screen is about as far as they should realistically go with it.

It's too late for the 3DS, but maybe their next handheld will have a proper 720p screen that can be output on the TV. It's true, though - if I can buy a $170 device that gets new Nintendo games and has great/unique third party support I can't get elsewhere, where's the incentive to buy a Wii U?

In a way, Sony also has this problem but the exact opposite: they put almost all of their major first party games on home console and receive almost all their third party support there as well, so they fail to incentive buying a Vita.

Avatar image for Bread_or_Decide
Bread_or_Decide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By Bread_or_Decide
Member since 2007 • 29761 Posts

I love my Wii U. I lay in bed and play mario 3d world on the tablet. So nice to be able to play without turning on the tv. Great game, great system. Just needs more games.

PurpleMan5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68 PurpleMan5000

@StrongBlackVine said:

@PurpleMan5000 said:
@StrongBlackVine said:

@foxhound_fox said:

@2ndwonder said:

• Super Mario 3D World
  • Lego City Undercover
  • Pikmin 3
  • The Wonderful 101
  • ZombiU

You seriously think Sony doesn't have any unannounced games that will be released in the next 12 months? They haven't to announce anything because PS4 is dominating. E3 will have see some reveals. Also MLB The Show, Drive Club, The Order 1886, Lily Bergamo and Deep Down could beat that list without any other announcement. The PS4 exclusives will definitely outsell most of those flops.

I seriously doubt they have more than 1 or 2. They probably have 0. How often do you hear about a game for the first time, and then it gets released within a year?

Animal-Mother

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#69 Animal-Mother
Member since 2003 • 27362 Posts

@2ndwonder: This 10X over.

Avatar image for Bread_or_Decide
Bread_or_Decide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70 Bread_or_Decide
Member since 2007 • 29761 Posts

Nintendo is taking so much time to work on mario kart and smash bros...it makes me wonder..WHAT HAVE THEY BEEN DOING ALL THESE YEARS SINCE THEY KILLED THE Wii?

PurpleMan5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71 PurpleMan5000

@Bread_or_Decide said:

Nintendo is taking so much time to work on mario kart and smash bros...it makes me wonder..WHAT HAVE THEY BEEN DOING ALL THESE YEARS SINCE THEY KILLED THE Wii?

3DS 2013

Avatar image for deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

#72 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
Member since 2006 • 82724 Posts

@Bread_or_Decide said:

Working on the 3DS, it looks like. I mean, its 2013 was flat out insane.

StrongBlackVine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73 StrongBlackVine

@foxhound_fox said:

@StrongBlackVine said:

Also MLB The Show, Drive Club, The Order 1886, Lily Bergamo and Deep Down could beat that list without any other announcement.

I can't wait till each and every one of these games, aside from the MLB one, flops harder than inFAMOUS II.

You mean flop in sales or scores? Because Sony exclusives are going to sell MUCH better than last generation...

StrongBlackVine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74  Edited By StrongBlackVine
@PurpleMan5000 said:

@StrongBlackVine said:

@PurpleMan5000 said:
@StrongBlackVine said:

@foxhound_fox said:

@2ndwonder said:

• Super Mario 3D World
  • Lego City Undercover
  • Pikmin 3
  • The Wonderful 101
  • ZombiU

I seriously doubt they have more than 1 or 2. They probably have 0. How often do you hear about a game for the first time, and then it gets released within a year?

1 or 2 is enough. They don't need much to dominate Microsoft and Nintendo.

g0ddyX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75 g0ddyX
Member since 2005 • 3914 Posts

What dumb video link in OP. You can play games with motion controls and have your partner doing it in lingerie no problem. Trying to use sex factor to sell, how low... lol

The Wii U fails on all accounts unless your strictly into Nintendo games and even if its the same platform year after year.
The casuals who ran the Wii in sales department are not there to support Wii U. Hardware is weak. Overpriced for what it is. Third Party support is not there. Worse content in terms of DLC from the multiplatform games when there is one.
When developers and next gen engines are not supporting and working on the Wii U, that alone should speak volumes even to the hardcore fanboys.

The PS4/PC/X1 make a more worthy investment and future proof and even for a secondary machine.
You can find 'fun' and 'artsy' and 'cartoon' games everywhere, and not just on a Nintendo Machine.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76 foxhound_fox

@StrongBlackVine said:

@foxhound_fox said:

@StrongBlackVine said:

You mean flop in sales or scores? Because Sony exclusives are going to sell MUCH better than last generation...

Crystal ball much?

StrongBlackVine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77 StrongBlackVine

@foxhound_fox said:

@StrongBlackVine said:

@foxhound_fox said:

@StrongBlackVine said:

Crystal ball much?

Killzone Shadow Fall already outsold Killzone 3. InFAMOUS Second Son will outsell inFAMOUS 2. Meanwhile Zombii U, Pikmin 3, Wonderful 101(especially this one) were commercial flops which is sad when exclusives are all the Wii U has going for it.

MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78 MonsieurX
Member since 2008 • 39858 Posts

@StrongBlackVine said:

@foxhound_fox said:

@StrongBlackVine said:

@foxhound_fox said:

@StrongBlackVine said:

Crystal ball much?

Killzone Shadow Fall already outsold Killzone 3. InFAMOUS Second Son will outsell inFAMOUS 2. Meanwhile Zombii U, Pikmin 3, Wonderful 101(especially this one) were commercial flops which is sad when exclusives are all the Wii U has going for it.

Killzone was pretty much the only big game worth buying at launch,no surprise

Infamous is the only new exclusive launching for a while,no surprise again

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79 foxhound_fox

@StrongBlackVine said:

A launch game that showcases the platforms graphics (and was really the only thing worth playing) sold more than a late-generation second iteration that is almost universally hated compared to the second game?

In other news... the Sun rose this morning.

whiskeystrike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80 whiskeystrike
Member since 2011 • 12213 Posts
@AmazonTreeBoa said:

My girl would slap me if I bought her a Wii U instead of the PS4. She isn't a big fan of wasting money and neither am I.

I'm trying to figure out exactly how "bitch with a whip" fits into system wars arguments but heh, maybe you enjoy it.

thehig1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#81 thehig1
Member since 2014 • 7537 Posts

It might as well not exist in the UK, in a lot of stores there is not even a part of the gaming section dedicated to it. Asda and Tesco were I live have large gaming areas with plenty of 360/Ps3 games accessories. There is also Xbox One and Ps4 games and consoles but nothing for the Wii U.

Even if I intended on buying one i'd find it hard to find one in a shop and would have to order online

edwardecl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82 edwardecl
Member since 2005 • 2240 Posts
@IMAHAPYHIPPO said:

@SpideR_CentS said:
@Grey_Eyed_Elf said:

"Could make a fun gift for your girl"... Maybe If your girl is fictional TV character and no self respecting woman would do that... Unless you point a camera at them and pay them money.

Who wants a self respecting woman?

Oh, nobody, except for real men.

If you were a real man you would not need the Wii for that... just give her TV remote and get he to do swinging action in her underwear and if she stops hit her... how's that for physical exercise :).

glimpus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#83 glimpus
Member since 2004 • 2306 Posts

Wii-U is a good system. I have a really good PC and I still play my Wii-u nearly every day. It;s full with platformers right now, and Donkey Kong was really challenging.

Nintendo dropped the ball by making it not nearly powerful enough to bother attracting 3rd parties, so I'm not sure how it'll play out. But once there's a new Zelda announced, and a successor to Mario Galaxy I could see it selling Gamecube like numbers on their 1st party IP's alone - which isn't mind boggling, but it's good enough to keep it relevant enough for Nintendo to keep making games for it. A new strategy is required next-gen, though.

This gen shouldn't be too long as the PS4 and Xboxone aren't exactly powerhouses in themselves, they're already eclipsed by a (slightly above?) average gaming PC.

Avatar image for deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
Member since 2009 • 21398 Posts

The wiiu already has great games. Mario Kart in a month or so and smash bros soon after. Imo, the games available warrant a purchase. The same can't be said for ps4/xbox

Xplode_games

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85  Edited By Xplode_games
Member since 2011 • 2540 Posts

@SakusEnvoy said:

@Coolyfett said:

@Xplode_games said:

What is it with the silly Wii U threads?

Nintendo really needs to release a device that allows 3DS games to play on an HDTV. Wii U is down, invest your efforts in the 3DS Nintendo.

A 400x240 image would look incredibly ugly on an HDTV, though. I think a 4.88" screen is about as far as they should realistically go with it.

It's too late for the 3DS, but maybe their next handheld will have a proper 720p screen that can be output on the TV. It's true, though - if I can buy a $170 device that gets new Nintendo games and has great/unique third party support I can't get elsewhere, where's the incentive to buy a Wii U?

In a way, Sony also has this problem but the exact opposite: they put almost all of their major first party games on home console and receive almost all their third party support there as well, so they fail to incentive buying a Vita.

I have said many times that Nintendo should port all of their first party 3DS games over to the Wii U of course upgrading the res to 720p. They should sell them for $39. They should also port over the best DS games upgraded to HD and sell them for $29.

The Wii U has the unique ability to translate DS and 3DS games with their two screens. Nintendo has failed to realize this huge potential that could help revive the Wii U.

LegatoSkyheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

#86 LegatoSkyheart
Member since 2009 • 29733 Posts

@charizard1605 said:

@farrell2k said:

As I have said before. People who say that are no different than those who say Nintendo should go 3rd Party because they're essentially are treating Nintendo as one.