Maybe Wii U is not so bad after all

  • 85 results
  • 1
  • 2
#1 Edited by HipHopBeats (2899 posts) -

At least it has one good use

Could make a fun gift for your girl

#2 Posted by kitty (114791 posts) -

The WiiU just needs more good games. I don't think it is a bad console. But since it doesn't have a lot going for it, it's not appealing to anyone.

#3 Posted by getyeryayasout (7598 posts) -

Putin' the hard in hardcore!

#4 Posted by SolidGame_basic (17914 posts) -

Wii U is a great system. Most people here are too harsh and actually don't own the system.

#5 Edited by Lucianu (9443 posts) -

@2ndwonder said:

The WiiU just needs more good games. I don't think it is a bad console. But since it doesn't have a lot going for it, it's not appealing to anyone.

The WiiU has plenty of good games from what i'm seeing, i guess as a main console it's not as good as the other two because of the lack of 3rd party support, but as a console you buy for exclusives, it dwarfs the other two. If you have a PC, the WiiU is definitely the console to get, in my opinion at least.

The problem is that it's a commercial failure, so it will continue to lack in 3rd party multiplats and end up in a distant 3rd place. The only thing that can guarantee salvation from this fate is a strong, agressive marketing campaign, which for whatever reason, Nintendo will never do.

#6 Posted by Gargus (2147 posts) -

@SolidGame_basic said:

Wii U is a great system. Most people here are too harsh and actually don't own the system.

Not really it isn't.

Its just a slightly upgraded wii with a new controller and the wii itself was just a slightly upgraded gamecube with a new controller.

All of the games from Nintendo on it are just franchiser jerk offs of the same thing old again and again and again.

The online gaming and community portion is absolutely garbage and the worst of all game systems on the market today.

The hardware is to weak for newer games which loses them a lot of attention and a lot of sales.

They have awful 3rd party support for developers and publishers so they don't attract much to the table except little tiny companies like zoo that don't do anything but shit out constant shovelware.

The tablet controller has absolutely nothing going for it that makes it worth owning and Nintendo cant even come up with one reason why its a valuable gaming device.

Regardless of whether or not you own the system we all know these things to be true. I own one and I know they are true. I spend more time playing wii games on it than I do wiiu games.

#7 Edited by SolidGame_basic (17914 posts) -

@Gargus said:

@SolidGame_basic said:

Wii U is a great system. Most people here are too harsh and actually don't own the system.

Not really it isn't.

Its just a slightly upgraded wii with a new controller and the wii itself was just a slightly upgraded gamecube with a new controller.

All of the games from Nintendo on it are just franchiser jerk offs of the same thing old again and again and again.

The online gaming and community portion is absolutely garbage and the worst of all game systems on the market today.

The hardware is to weak for newer games which loses them a lot of attention and a lot of sales.

They have awful 3rd party support for developers and publishers so they don't attract much to the table except little tiny companies like zoo that don't do anything but shit out constant shovelware.

The tablet controller has absolutely nothing going for it that makes it worth owning and Nintendo cant even come up with one reason why its a valuable gaming device.

Regardless of whether or not you own the system we all know these things to be true. I own one and I know they are true. I spend more time playing wii games on it than I do wiiu games.

Maybe because I bought it knowing what exactly I was getting. I'm not dirt poor and can afford multiple consoles and I'm fine with it being my Nintendo machine. But saying it is awful for what it is not is like complaining that the Civic you just bought isn't a Mercedes. I also like the fact that it can play Wii games since I can catch up on some great games. Also, the online features, while not on par with Xbox LIve or PS, are still pretty good and I'll be having fun kicking ass in Mario Kart and Super Smash. I also don't have to plunk down on paying for online. Also, the tablet controller is great and fun to use and remote play is pretty handy.

#8 Posted by The_Last_Ride (72255 posts) -

It's not bad at all, it needs to lower its price again and release some good games. That's it

#9 Posted by Grey_Eyed_Elf (3904 posts) -

"Could make a fun gift for your girl"... Maybe If your girl is fictional TV character and no self respecting woman would do that... Unless you point a camera at them and pay them money.

#10 Posted by farrell2k (6325 posts) -

@Gargus said:

@SolidGame_basic said:

Wii U is a great system. Most people here are too harsh and actually don't own the system.

Not really it isn't.

Its just a slightly upgraded wii with a new controller and the wii itself was just a slightly upgraded gamecube with a new controller.

All of the games from Nintendo on it are just franchiser jerk offs of the same thing old again and again and again.

The online gaming and community portion is absolutely garbage and the worst of all game systems on the market today.

The hardware is to weak for newer games which loses them a lot of attention and a lot of sales.

They have awful 3rd party support for developers and publishers so they don't attract much to the table except little tiny companies like zoo that don't do anything but shit out constant shovelware.

The tablet controller has absolutely nothing going for it that makes it worth owning and Nintendo cant even come up with one reason why its a valuable gaming device.

Regardless of whether or not you own the system we all know these things to be true. I own one and I know they are true. I spend more time playing wii games on it than I do wiiu games.

Says one of the biggest trolls on these forums...

#11 Posted by yokofox33 (29867 posts) -

It's not a bad console at all. It needs more games, especially in the Virtual Console department. A close to full library of classic NES/SNES games would bring a lot of appeal I believe.

#12 Posted by freedomfreak (40883 posts) -

It's the least exciting console I've ever owned. It's been collecting dust for quite a while now.

#13 Posted by foxhound_fox (88660 posts) -

@2ndwonder said:

The WiiU just needs more good games. I don't think it is a bad console. But since it doesn't have a lot going for it, it's not appealing to anyone.

The crazy thing is, is that it already has several good games. More than either the Bone or the PS4.

  • Super Mario 3D World
  • Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze
  • Lego City Undercover
  • Pikmin 3
  • TLoZ: Wind Waker HD
  • The Wonderful 101
  • ZombiU

That's a sizeable list for anyone. All it's missing is Mario Kart and Smash Bros. and anyone who enjoys simply "fun" games should get one.

#14 Posted by anab0lic (273 posts) -

in terms of exclusives wii u has the best library right now of all the next gen consoles... it also has imo the best stuff coming in 2014...

#15 Edited by starwolf474 (693 posts) -
@2ndwonder said:

The WiiU just needs more good games. I don't think it is a bad console. But since it doesn't have a lot going for it, it's not appealing to anyone.

I have a lot of complaints about my Wii U; such as the crappy hardware, OS, online service, and controller, but one thing I definitely don't have any complaints about is the games. The Wii U has some really great games, much better than anything on Xbox One and PS4 right now and in the foreseeable future. And soon Mario Kart and Smash Bros will be added to Wii U's list of great games.

I would never recommend the Wii U to be anybody's primary console, but it is definitely worth purchasing as a companion console for it's awesome exclusive games.

#16 Posted by Willy105 (24545 posts) -

The Wii U needs more third party releases. There is no reason for the PS3 to be getting all these new releases and yet not be coming to Wii U. Sure, the new Donkey Kong is better than any game released this year on consoles; but there is no reason that should be the only game released on the Wii U so far this year.

#17 Posted by Xplode_games (527 posts) -

What is it with the silly Wii U threads?

#18 Posted by steamistrash (427 posts) -

no pressure sensitive triggers=suckage

#19 Posted by Puggy301 (160 posts) -

I'd rather play with her Wii.

#20 Posted by AmazonTreeBoa (16745 posts) -

My girl would slap me if I bought her a Wii U instead of the PS4. She isn't a big fan of wasting money and neither am I.

#21 Edited by BattleSpectre (6210 posts) -

I've got one more free spot in my TV cabinet, the PS4 and Xbox One are starting to get a long (Yeah fucken right lol) Maybe if I introduce a female to them both (Wii U) things will calm down a little. Come on Nintendo give me a reason to buy one.

#22 Posted by Kaze_no_Mirai (11412 posts) -

I really enjoy it but as others have said as a secondary console for its exclusives and the occasional multiplat (when it was still getting them). It does have some very good games available and some more coming up.

#23 Posted by DJ-Lafleur (34156 posts) -

The Wii U isn't bad at all, just not particularly great as it is now either, and probably won't look any better when third party picks up for the other 2 consoles.

#24 Posted by bbkkristian (14955 posts) -

At least the Wii U has the Wii library to back it up. That's already 10x more than the Xbone and ps4 have.

#25 Posted by SpideR_CentS (4764 posts) -
@Grey_Eyed_Elf said:

"Could make a fun gift for your girl"... Maybe If your girl is fictional TV character and no self respecting woman would do that... Unless you point a camera at them and pay them money.

Who wants a self respecting woman?

#26 Posted by Blabadon (26558 posts) -

The Wii U is extremely enticing as a secondary console, but I don't even know how much I'll be gaming as I near my 30s and beyond

#27 Posted by LegatoSkyheart (25519 posts) -

It is a good system, but it's hard to defend it when you look at the release dates for upcoming games for the System.

The Next "Big" WiiU game coming in 2014 is in May. MAY and it's end of May too, the 30th. Even if you take download to account the Next Game in line for WiiU is NES Remix 2 which is in April 25th.

The Game Droughts are horrendous. WiiU should have gotten Dark Souls 2, WiiU should have gotten Final Fantasy XIII Lightning Returns, WiiU should have gotten South Park the Stick of Truth, WiiU should have gotten Metal Gear Solid Ground Zeroes, WiiU should have gotten Castlevania Lords of Shadow 2....I could keep going but that's not going to change much.

WiiU is just too poor of a system to defend. I have a lot of games for the system, but the future for it is dim.

#28 Posted by nintendoboy16 (26863 posts) -

@LegatoSkyheart said:

It is a good system, but it's hard to defend it when you look at the release dates for upcoming games for the System.

The Next "Big" WiiU game coming in 2014 is in May. MAY and it's end of May too, the 30th. Even if you take download to account the Next Game in line for WiiU is NES Remix 2 which is in April 25th.

The Game Droughts are horrendous. WiiU should have gotten Dark Souls 2, WiiU should have gotten Final Fantasy XIII Lightning Returns, WiiU should have gotten South Park the Stick of Truth, WiiU should have gotten Metal Gear Solid Ground Zeroes, WiiU should have gotten Castlevania Lords of Shadow 2....I could keep going but that's not going to change much.

WiiU is just too poor of a system to defend. I have a lot of games for the system, but the future for it is dim.

What, did it need Colonial Marines too? :roll:

I won't lie, it does need third party support, just NOT those games. I'll give you Dark Souls 2 and South Park, but... *facepalm*

#29 Posted by Treal_basic (553 posts) -

@LegatoSkyheart said:

It is a good system, but it's hard to defend it when you look at the release dates for upcoming games for the System.

The Next "Big" WiiU game coming in 2014 is in May. MAY and it's end of May too, the 30th. Even if you take download to account the Next Game in line for WiiU is NES Remix 2 which is in April 25th.

The Game Droughts are horrendous. WiiU should have gotten Dark Souls 2, WiiU should have gotten Final Fantasy XIII Lightning Returns, WiiU should have gotten South Park the Stick of Truth, WiiU should have gotten Metal Gear Solid Ground Zeroes, WiiU should have gotten Castlevania Lords of Shadow 2....I could keep going but that's not going to change much.

WiiU is just too poor of a system to defend. I have a lot of games for the system, but the future for it is dim.

did you honestly think the WiiU was going to get those games given the history of Nintendo consoles that came before it?

#30 Posted by HalcyonScarlet (4490 posts) -

@foxhound_fox said:

@2ndwonder said:

The WiiU just needs more good games. I don't think it is a bad console. But since it doesn't have a lot going for it, it's not appealing to anyone.

The crazy thing is, is that it already has several good games. More than either the Bone or the PS4.

  • Super Mario 3D World
  • Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze
  • Lego City Undercover
  • Pikmin 3
  • TLoZ: Wind Waker HD
  • The Wonderful 101
  • ZombiU

That's a sizeable list for anyone. All it's missing is Mario Kart and Smash Bros. and anyone who enjoys simply "fun" games should get one.

Well the other two have been out for 4-5 months and the Wii U has been out for what, nearly a year and a half? That's not a lot really. And while you could say you were just pointing to a snapshot in time, the concern is whether this trend will be representative of the consistency in which good games are released for the console.

And there's this crazy idea, I don't know if it's nostalgia, but "fun" is somehow synonymous with Nintendo more so than the other platforms. Because consoles from the other companies cater to what ever you want really.

#31 Posted by LegatoSkyheart (25519 posts) -
@Treal_basic said:

did you honestly think the WiiU was going to get those games given the history of Nintendo consoles that came before it?

Apparently it's wrong to think Nintendo would get decent 3rd Party support.

Nintendo consoles have had Turok, Resident Evil, Metal Gear and even Final Fantasy before you know. Heck Hitman can be found on the gamecube. Again is it wrong to expect such support for Nintendo Consoles?

@nintendoboy16 said:

What, did it need Colonial Marines too? :roll:

I won't lie, it does need third party support, just NOT those games. I'll give you Dark Souls 2 and South Park, but... *facepalm*

See what I said for Treal_Basic. Also Just because you didn't like those games doesn't mean they were bad.

#32 Edited by nintendoboy16 (26863 posts) -

@LegatoSkyheart said:
@Treal_basic said:

did you honestly think the WiiU was going to get those games given the history of Nintendo consoles that came before it?

Apparently it's wrong to think Nintendo would get decent 3rd Party support.

Nintendo consoles have had Turok, Resident Evil, Metal Gear and even Final Fantasy before you know. Heck Hitman can be found on the gamecube. Again is it wrong to expect such support for Nintendo Consoles?

@nintendoboy16 said:

What, did it need Colonial Marines too? :roll:

I won't lie, it does need third party support, just NOT those games. I'll give you Dark Souls 2 and South Park, but... *facepalm*

See what I said for Treal_Basic. Also Just because you didn't like those games doesn't mean they were bad.

Dude, FFXIII - Lightning Returns and Lords of Shadows 2 got mediocre reception all around (granted, this comes from someone who enjoys several games that has mediocre reception, but still, hardly anybody I'm seeing like these games, and the last thing Wii U needs are games that have this reception). That, and people are upset with Ground Zeroes.

#33 Edited by LegatoSkyheart (25519 posts) -

@nintendoboy16 said:

Dude, FFXIII - Lightning Returns and Lords of Shadows 2 got mediocre reception all around (granted, this comes from someone who enjoys several games that has mediocre reception, but still, hardly anybody I'm seeing like these games, and the last thing Wii U needs are games that have this reception). That, and people are upset with Ground Zeroes.

So you want Nintendo games to get nothing, but High Profile ONLY games that are nothing but the Green Zone in Metacritic that all gamers just love.

Yeah I think that's a poor reason to state why it's good for WiiU to miss out on such games.

#34 Posted by treedoor (7648 posts) -

If it actually got a consistent flow of good games it'd be worth it.

With that said, the other consoles suffer from this as well. I'm really not sure why anyone is excited about console gaming nowadays. It just seems way too expensive for what you get.

#35 Edited by nintendoboy16 (26863 posts) -

@LegatoSkyheart said:

@nintendoboy16 said:

Dude, FFXIII - Lightning Returns and Lords of Shadows 2 got mediocre reception all around (granted, this comes from someone who enjoys several games that has mediocre reception, but still, hardly anybody I'm seeing like these games, and the last thing Wii U needs are games that have this reception). That, and people are upset with Ground Zeroes.

So you want Nintendo games to get nothing, but High Profile ONLY games that are nothing but the Green Zone in Metacritic that all gamers just love.

Yeah I think that's a poor reason to state why it's good for WiiU to miss out on such games.

Not what I'm saying at all. I'm saying the Wii U doesn't need another reason to struggle and those games would add fuel to the fire. I'm saying it needs a better received library, and they don't have to be big budget or high profile (well, actually, it needs something well known that isn't Mario/Zelda/Pokemon) either.

#36 Posted by SakusEnvoy (4333 posts) -

Sure, the Wii U "should" be getting at least ports of the games coming to PS3/360, but I think most developers are already satisfied with the install base reached on PS3/360/PC combined. The thinking behind it is that most Wii U owners either bought their system primarily for first party games, or probably own a 360 or PS3 already given that those systems have a huge install base when combined together.

It will all become a moot point as developers shift to PS4/PC/One games, because the Wii U will be too underpowered to run a game designed from the beginning for more advanced hardware.

In short, developers don't feel they're missing out on much by not targeting Nintendo consoles. And you would think that Nintendo would learn by now that power does matter to Western developers. It may not matter to Japanese devs, but non-indie Western developers design cutting edge games with PC hardware in mind and then only put those games on consoles capable of handling them.

#37 Edited by foxhound_fox (88660 posts) -

@HalcyonScarlet said:

Well the other two have been out for 4-5 months and the Wii U has been out for what, nearly a year and a half? That's not a lot really. And while you could say you were just pointing to a snapshot in time, the concern is whether this trend will be representative of the consistency in which good games are released for the console.

And there's this crazy idea, I don't know if it's nostalgia, but "fun" is somehow synonymous with Nintendo more so than the other platforms. Because consoles from the other companies cater to what ever you want really.

That's a lot for any console after a year. The Bone and PS4 barely have two decent exclusive games worth playing and they've been out for 5 months.

Nostagia has nothing to do with the success of Nintendo's first party. If you have played their newest games (most at least, not things like Yoshi's New Island), you would know that despite the outer appearance of "the same old" mechanically they are leaps and bounds different and improved over their predecessors. Especially the likes of Super Mario 3D World.

#38 Edited by charizard1605 (58094 posts) -

The Wii U is a nice system; it's just not good enough, and certainly not good enough to be your primary/only console.

Regardless, it's got some great games, and the console itself is unusually progressive in many, many ways.

#39 Posted by PsychoLemons (2107 posts) -

Well it is Nintendo's problem for not aiding third party companies on the Wii U's kit. And thus lack of support.

#40 Edited by PurpleMan5000 (7321 posts) -

@Gargus said:

@SolidGame_basic said:

Wii U is a great system. Most people here are too harsh and actually don't own the system.

Not really it isn't.

Its just a slightly upgraded wii with a new controller and the wii itself was just a slightly upgraded gamecube with a new controller.

All of the games from Nintendo on it are just franchiser jerk offs of the same thing old again and again and again.

The online gaming and community portion is absolutely garbage and the worst of all game systems on the market today.

The hardware is to weak for newer games which loses them a lot of attention and a lot of sales.

They have awful 3rd party support for developers and publishers so they don't attract much to the table except little tiny companies like zoo that don't do anything but shit out constant shovelware.

The tablet controller has absolutely nothing going for it that makes it worth owning and Nintendo cant even come up with one reason why its a valuable gaming device.

Regardless of whether or not you own the system we all know these things to be true. I own one and I know they are true. I spend more time playing wii games on it than I do wiiu games.

The Wii U is underpowered for a console in 2014, but to call it a slight upgrade from the Wii is just ridiculous. That's like saying the Xbox 360 was a slight upgrade from the Xbox.

#41 Edited by Bigboi500 (29999 posts) -

The criticisms thrown at it from people who don't own it are, mostly, ridiculous. It has a good number of quality games, has flawless backwards compatibility and more ways to play with numerous quality controllers than the competition.

The problem is simply a lack of consistent releases. The high quality Nintendo/third party exclusives are few and far between, which makes having it as a stand alone primary system a real problem. Most in-the-know veteran gamers realize that and have accepted this as standard fare for Nintendo consoles, and utilize it as a secondary system for the titles they can't get elsewhere.

#42 Edited by StrongBlackVine (8418 posts) -

@foxhound_fox said:

@2ndwonder said:

The WiiU just needs more good games. I don't think it is a bad console. But since it doesn't have a lot going for it, it's not appealing to anyone.

The crazy thing is, is that it already has several good games. More than either the Bone or the PS4.

  • Super Mario 3D World
  • Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze
  • Lego City Undercover
  • Pikmin 3
  • TLoZ: Wind Waker HD
  • The Wonderful 101
  • ZombiU

That's a sizeable list for anyone. All it's missing is Mario Kart and Smash Bros. and anyone who enjoys simply "fun" games should get one.

None of those interest me outside of the Zelda rehash which I still don't care to play. Pretty sure the PS4 exclusive list will be better and longer than that by the time it has been out 17 months or so....

#43 Posted by DocSanchez (1634 posts) -

Every wii u fan has a single excuse as to why the wii u failed and an easy quick fix. And they are all different. HundreDs of different primary failings, should tell you something.

It isn't a great system.stop being biased. It's ancient, over priced tech with few good games. It's a pile of crap and I'm delighted the gaming community have rejected it.

#44 Posted by PS4hasNOgames (1771 posts) -

this has been seen on the wii 10 years ago...nothing new. welcome to the world.

#45 Posted by ConanTheStoner (5587 posts) -

At the moment, it's the only new console worth owning imo. I have plenty of good exclusives to play on my Wii U. Not so much on my PS4. I know this will change very soon and the Wii U will be left in the dust, but for the time being it seems a lot of people are just jumping on the hate wagon for the hell of it.

#46 Posted by IMAHAPYHIPPO (2601 posts) -

@SpideR_CentS said:
@Grey_Eyed_Elf said:

"Could make a fun gift for your girl"... Maybe If your girl is fictional TV character and no self respecting woman would do that... Unless you point a camera at them and pay them money.

Who wants a self respecting woman?

Oh, nobody, except for real men.

#47 Posted by farrell2k (6325 posts) -

People buy Nintendo consoles to play Nintendo games. If you buy it for that purpose, you will love it.

#48 Posted by Randolph (10542 posts) -

@SolidGame_basic said:

I also don't have to plunk down on paying for online.

That's only because they can't create a service thats worth paying for. If they could find a way to make such a service, they would charge for it in a heart beat and you know it. Fortunately for you Nintendo is bafflingly incompetent when it comes to absolutely anything online related, so in all likelihood they won't get a service worth paying up and running until some time in the 2020's.

The Wii U is an abysmally bad console in every conceivable way. It just cannot be defended anymore.

#49 Edited by farrell2k (6325 posts) -

@Randolph: The PC demonstrates that console online service is a rip off.

#50 Posted by Coolyfett (5085 posts) -

@Xplode_games said:

What is it with the silly Wii U threads?

Nintendo really needs to release a device that allows 3DS games to play on an HDTV. Wii U is down, invest your efforts in the 3DS Nintendo.