Maybe next gen Sheep

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a07ca3443cc2
deactivated-5a07ca3443cc2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 deactivated-5a07ca3443cc2
Member since 2004 • 2626 Posts

Well sure, in terms of actual power the Wii doesn't stack up. But hey, maybe next gen Nintendo won't be such cheap bastards and give us a console that can make better graphics than a seven pound half a decade old Xbox!

I don't understand why Nintendo has gotten so cheap lately.

Ever since the runaway success of a certain handheld Nintendo thinks it can skimp out on actual processing power to turn ridiculous profits, which I'm aware is just business but come on! Imagine having Resident Evil 5 on the Wii with graphics and physics that are at least close to the 360 and PS3?

You have to admit it would be nice if Nintendo at least took a hit for their consumer.

Hell even Sony is losing like 200$ dollars with every PS3 sold! (which isn't many mind you, but it adds up)

Am I the only frustrated by this?:|

Oh well, maybe next gen Nintendo can make an innovative and with the times console in terms of developing technology and balance in terms of power and innovation. Maybe they'll screw over the consumer for "meh" graphics and physics for more money.

Who knows.

Thoughts?

haziqonfire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#2 haziqonfire
Member since 2005 • 36390 Posts

That 'Cheap' Machine is getting great media attention, new game announcments and amazing sales.

If anything - Nintendo's one smart company and they've done a good job with the Wii, althought now they need to bring out their software.

Daytona_178

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#3 Daytona_178
Member since 2005 • 14962 Posts
I think they knew they stood no chance against Microsoft & Sony graphically speaking so they just focused on making something cheap, fun and different!

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 deactivated-5a07ca3443cc2

That 'Cheap' Machine is getting great media attention, new game announcments and amazing sales.

If anything - Nintendo's one smart company and they've done a good job with the Wii, althought now they need to bring out their software.

Haziqonfire

Of course it's a great buisness plan and they are making tons of money it's just I wish Nintendo would become a forerunner in terms of visual technology too. Maybe it's too quick to jump the gun it's just I personally would like to play RE5 and GTA on the Wii with at least average next gen graphics. :(

goodlay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#5 goodlay
Member since 2005 • 5773 Posts
They wanted something that would appeal to everyone, and they didnt want to make a 400-600 dollar system, so they didnt make it as powerful as the 360 or PS3, because then the system would cost too much.
Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#6 Willy105
Member since 2005 • 26113 Posts

MAybe, but ONLY if it is less than $250.

The Wii was very expensive. I couldn't even buy a game with it. I could only afford the Wii itself.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 deactivated-5a07ca3443cc2
I think they knew they stood no chance against Microsoft & Sony graphically speaking so they just focused on making something cheap, fun and different!daytona_178
Maybe I'm just bitter and miss the old days, I just would love a repeat of the N64, in terms of software.
tree-branch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#8 tree-branch
Member since 2007 • 3262 Posts
hopefully the next sytem nintendo makes looks better then the xbox.
Ehlohim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Ehlohim
Member since 2007 • 293 Posts
"Maybe next gen", Sony can be innovative & come up with their own great franchises. Maybe they'll stop relying on Square Enix, Capcom & Konami to fill in the blanks of their lousy lineup.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 deactivated-5a07ca3443cc2
"Maybe next gen", Sony can be innovative & come up with their own great franchises. Maybe they'll stop relying on Square Enix, Capcom & Konami to fill in the blanks of their lousy lineup.Ehlohim
This is not about Sony though now is it?
Grodus5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Grodus5
Member since 2006 • 7934 Posts
Who cares about graphics? Who cares about physics? I can hardly tell the difference from Gears of War on my friends HDTV from Super Smash Bros. Melee. Why is that? Because I'm too busy playing and enjoying the game instead of worry about the graphics.
Ehlohim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Ehlohim

[QUOTE="Ehlohim"]"Maybe next gen", Sony can be innovative & come up with their own great franchises. Maybe they'll stop relying on Square Enix, Capcom & Konami to fill in the blanks of their lousy lineup.duncanvk
This is not about Sony though now is it?

Not exactly, but in your original post you knocked Nintendo for being cheap and inconsiderate of the consumer while praising Sony. I thought it'd be fair to add my two cents.

hamstergeddon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 hamstergeddon
Member since 2006 • 7188 Posts
I think they knew they stood no chance against Microsoft & Sony graphically speaking so they just focused on making something cheap, fun and different!daytona_178

exactly, if Nintendo tried to compete with Sony and Microsoft in terms of power and graphics, it would be Gamecube all over again. I'm glad they decided to do something different
PhoebusFlows

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 PhoebusFlows
Member since 2007 • 2050 Posts

Next gen Nintendo will copy Sony and Microsoft's feature-rich machines and finally include HD graphics, multicore processors, digital distribution of movies, TV shows, etc, include voice chat, include the ability to play High Def movies, include a Hard Drive

Nintendo did not do anything that amazing this gen. They released a controller that could've been an add-on for Gamecube, and the Wii is basically a Gamecube 2.0. Meanwhile, it will be Nintendo doing more copying of the features of Sony and Microsoft next gen. Nintendo chickened out realizing they are not experts in multimedia features so they chose to keep it painfully simple.

Maybe next gen Nintendo will finally include the ability to play DVDs. :roll:

_vacant_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 _vacant_
Member since 2006 • 835 Posts
[QUOTE="Haziqonfire"]

duncanvk

Of course it's a great buisness plan and they are making tons of money it's just I wish Nintendo would become a forerunner in terms of visual technology too. Maybe it's too quick to jump the gun it's just I personally would like to play RE5 and GTA on the Wii with at least average next gen graphics. :(

"next gen graphics" are a matter of opinion. and nintendo doesn't need to be a forerunner in visual tech. that industry will develop without nintendo, and really, they arent in a good position to. theyre a video game company, a toy company at heart, and dont have the financial backing to really make the great developments. developments that will be made regardless, and then next gen, once the control interface is refined, the visual tech will be refined for them, and will be significantly cheaper.

then they can continue providing for their newfound audience, the visuals will be better, hopefully satisfying the snobby hardcore, and they can carry on making money instead of breaking the bank like sony and Ms did with their respective consoles.

also, look into gunpei yokoi and "Lateral thinking of withered technology" the big N's strategy becomes a lot clearer.

NorthlandMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 NorthlandMan
Member since 2007 • 2302 Posts
they're in it to win it
Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Willy105

hopefully the next sytem nintendo makes looks better then the xbox.tree-branch

That icon does not fit you. That icon makes you look pro-nintendo. Try cahnging your icon, otherwise you will look like a fakeboy/

rey06

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#19 rey06
Member since 2006 • 2699 Posts

hopefully the next sytem nintendo makes looks better then the xbox.tree-branch

its just so nice to keep track to this wii hater, *check post history OMG an absolute 100% wii hating who could not even put a nice logic and reasons all ur post

Ehlohim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Ehlohim

Next gen Nintendo will copy Sony and Microsoft's feature-rich machines and finally include HD graphics, multicore processors, digital distribution of movies, TV shows, etc, include voice chat, include the ability to play High Def movies, include a Hard Drive

Nintendo did not do anything that amazing this gen. They released a controller that could've been an add-on for Gamecube, and the Wii is basically a Gamecube 2.0. Meanwhile, it will be Nintendo doing more copying of the features of Sony and Microsoft next gen. Nintendo chickened out realizing they are not experts in multimedia features so they chose to keep it painfully simple.

Maybe next gen Nintendo will finally include the ability to play DVDs. :roll:

PhoebusFlows

Making a next-gen console with vamped up specs and the latest multimedia features is certainly not an original idea; It's more just a trend. You can't credit Sony and Microsoft with coming up with that idea, nor can you accuse Nintendo of copying it if they choose to follow suit. After seeing how well Nintendo was received last year at E3, Sony has added motion sensing to their controllers and is now developing the cutesy "LittleBigPlanet". Who's copying who? You also said that Nintendo will copy more features from the competition. What have they stolen so far?

Too bad the people at Nintendo aren't "experts in multimedia features". They must be incapable of producing a superior machine, despite doing that very thing last-gen. When Nintendo was developing the Wii, it would have been foolish to out-do Sony hardware wise again, as that did not result in good sales last time around.

If you ask me, Nintendo chose a very smart route (as smart as Sony using disc format on the PS1) because the tried and true method of upgrading graphics and tacking on multimedia features isn't doing Sony much good at all right now. If you think the Wii is boring and unremarkable, that's your loss.

PBSnipes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 PBSnipes
Member since 2007 • 14621 Posts
Who cares about graphics? They're like rims on a car, sure its nice of you have good ones, but they're not going to make a Ford perform like a Ferrari.
PhoebusFlows

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 PhoebusFlows

If you ask me, Nintendo chose a very smart route (as smart as Sony using disc format on the PS1) because the tried and true method of upgrading graphics and tacking on multimedia features isn't doing Sony much good at all right now. If you think the Wii is boring and unremarkable, that's your loss.Ehlohim

A $600 pricetag is not going to light the world on fire immediately. This is a marathon, not a sprint. The Cell was chosen because it has deep potential to last for a long time, well into 2010. The PS3 and 360 will be relevant and not outdated both gameplay wise and visually even if they are surrounded by HDTVs and HD movies and digital media downloads. They have that all covered. Nintendo has none of that covered. It's relying on one controller to save them and last for five years. The hardware sure won't last when the specs reveal it is pretty much tapped out already like the original Xbox.

You look at the success of the Wii now and think it will continue that way for five years. I'm saying, the PS3 has every reason to bounce back -- it will be cheaper, have more games, will provide media features that will only become more popular in five years, and finally just name recognition alone and install base is still worth a lot in this industry. This is not Nokia or Panasonic, this is SONY

After seeing how well Nintendo was received last year at E3, Sony has added motion sensing to their controllers and is now developing the cutesy "LittleBigPlanet". Who's copying who? You also said that Nintendo will copy more features from the competition. What have they stolen so far?Ehlohim

That really is hilarious how you think Little Big Planet was inspired by Nintendo. You can import personal jpgs and designs on the fly, play online multiplayer and actually *gasp* chat with three other players, create your own levels, upload it for anyone in the world to try. This is like a virtual video game Myspace community.

Name one Nintendo game that does that? No voice chat, no online (except for two games), can't upload or download much of anything. Just because Little Big Planet has a "cute" look does not mean Nintendo has the monopoly on "cute looks." Otherwise I'd give that honor to Disney for inventing it, and even then he got it from somewhere else. Forget the looks of the game, look at the LittleBigPlanet can do -- things even the big budget Wii titles can't do.

springz300

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 springz300
Member since 2004 • 2050 Posts

why are sheep so concerned with the fact that nintendo is ripping people off and making money.

what do their profits have to do with YOUR gaming? They obviously dont care about you.

you excuse the fact that wii has virtually no online because its so crappy, and you have few solid titles.

sheep are patheitc.

tree-branch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 tree-branch
Member since 2007 • 3262 Posts

[QUOTE="tree-branch"]hopefully the next sytem nintendo makes looks better then the xbox.Willy105

That icon does not fit you. That icon makes you look pro-nintendo. Try cahnging your icon, otherwise you will look like a fakeboy/

no,rouge is the best

ill never change it

Eponique

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#25 Eponique
Member since 2007 • 17918 Posts

Oh my goodness we don't have graphics, I think I'm gonna cry. :|

If I was going to make flamebait thread, I would've done it 1000x better than this crap.

PhoebusFlows

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 PhoebusFlows

why are sheep so concerned with the fact that nintendo is ripping people off and making money.

what do their profits have to do with YOUR gaming? They obviously dont care about you.

you excuse the fact that wii has virtually no online because its so crappy, and you have few solid titles.

sheep are patheitc.

springz300

With over 7 million Wii units sold, what has Nintendo done for online for the fans?

name one online sports game. Zero.

Name one online FPS game. Zero.

Name one online racing game. Zero.

This is what Nintendo does with your money: Laugh.

Tsug_Ze_Wind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Tsug_Ze_Wind
Member since 2006 • 9511 Posts

Of course it's a great buisness plan and they are making tons of money it's just I wish Nintendo would become a forerunner in terms of visual technology too. duncanvk

Why? We already have two consoles that focus heavily on visual technology. If Nintendo didn't go this route, this gen would be so boring.

I praise Nintendo for not jumping on the HD train. That takes some balls.

air_wolf_cubed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#28 air_wolf_cubed
Member since 2004 • 10233 Posts
[QUOTE="springz300"]

sheep are patheitc.

PhoebusFlows

With over 7 million Wii units sold, what has Nintendo done for online for the fans?

aww the poor baby has no friends so he has to compare online
Eponique

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Eponique
[QUOTE="springz300"]

sheep are patheitc.

PhoebusFlows

Yes, "Zero" is an awesome game. ^.^

PhoebusFlows

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 PhoebusFlows

aww the poor baby has no friends so he has to compare online
air_wolf_cubed

What a lame excuse.

When it's 8pm on a weekday do you invite a party of 32 friends to your house? Or how about something called online play where you play 32+ people over the internet and continually meet new challenges? Ever heard of that one Sheep? I'm going to laugh if Super Smash Bros. Brawl has no online. It would be typical of Nintendo's outdated attitude.

air_wolf_cubed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#31 air_wolf_cubed
Member since 2004 • 10233 Posts

[QUOTE="air_wolf_cubed"]aww the poor baby has no friends so he has to compare online
PhoebusFlows

What a lame excuse.

When it's 8pm on a weekday do you invite a party of 32 friends to your house? Or how about something called online play where you play 32+ people over the internet and continually meet new challenges? Ever heard of that one Sheep? I'm going to laugh if Super Smash Bros. Brawl has no online. It would be typical of Nintendo's outdated attitude.

what? ud rather have a party via internet?
Tsug_Ze_Wind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Tsug_Ze_Wind
Member since 2006 • 9511 Posts

name one online sports game. Zero.PhoebusFlows

One. Strikers.

PhoebusFlows

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 PhoebusFlows

what? ud rather have a party via internet?
air_wolf_cubed

Don't play around. Online play still is better than a gathering ofthree drunk friends who probably don't even play the game seriously. And how are you going to play FPS, on a tiny box with 4 player split screen? :lol: Like Red Steel?

And when you play with your cousins and friends, you know their skill level. After the 10th gaming session it will get predictable who is the best and who is the worst. BORING.

With online you always have a challenge and fresh experience.

Get with the program Nintendo. The PS2 and PSP does things better than your sytem.

springz300

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 springz300
Member since 2004 • 2050 Posts

The Wii is not for us hardcore gamers. Sheep need to accept this.

And whats the point of online play anyway if you have to have specific friend codes, and there's absolutely NO Voice chat or video chat.

Nintendo always thinks they know whats best for their gamers. This is why they fail.

BuHh Buhh "I Could Make haLo". no , what you could do is rehash the same franchises for 30 years.

Ehlohim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Ehlohim

A $600 pricetag is not going to light the world on fire immediately. This is a marathon, not a sprint. The Cell was chosen because it has deep potential to last for a long time, well into 2010. The PS3 and 360 will be relevant and not outdated both gameplay wise and visually even if they are surrounded by HDTVs and HD movies and digital media downloads. They have that all covered. Nintendo has none of that covered. It's relying on one controller to save them and last for five years. The hardware sure won't last when the specs reveal it is pretty much tapped out already like the original Xbox.

You look at the success of the Wii now and think it will continue that way for five years. I'm saying, the PS3 has every reason to bounce back -- it will be cheaper, have more games, will provide media features that will only become more popular in five years, and finally just name recognition alone and install base is still worth a lot in this industry. This is not Nokia or Panasonic, this is SONY

PhoebusFlows

The PS3 has top-notch hardware, there's no arguing that. If success and longevity in the gaming industry were decided on that factor alone, Sony would have already conqured this gen. In practice however, the factor that makes or breaks a console is (not surprisingly) games. Despite how advanced (or inferior) the PS1&2 were relative to their competition, they were successful because of their exclusive titles. Specifically, the exclusive titles produced by Grade A 3rd party developers that Sony happened to have a stranglehold on. As that stranglehold dissolves, you really start to get an idea just how viable and competent Sony's gaming division is on it's own merits. Nobody's going to buy a PS3 just to play the latest Daxter, but how many times have you heard "I want a PS3 so I can play MGS4 and FFXIII". Imagine if those titles were offically announced multiplat with no delayed release dates. Although the PS3 has amazing specs, Sony simply can't support their own consoles without considerable assitance from others. It's a completely different story with Nintendo.

You write off the Wii remote and suggest Nintendo will fail in the long run because of the Wii'scomparatively weaker specs. But again, you ignore the most important part of the equation; games. When you think about long-lived and successful franchises, what developer comes to mind first? Even without 3rd party support, Nintendo will be able to strongly support themselves. The Wii can't rightly rely soley on the Wii remote to succeed, just as Sony can't expect the PS3's power or Blu-Ray to do all the heavy lifting. The bottom line is that Nintendo will surely endure this generation regardless of HD or inferior graphics. Sony's success depends not on their own abilities to make powerful consoles, but 3rd party developers' abilities to make great exclusives (the biggest of which's exclusivity is rather ambiguous at the moment).

That really is hilarious how you think Little Big Planet was inspired by Nintendo. You can import personal jpgs and designs on the fly, play online multiplayer and actually *gasp* chat with three other players, create your own levels, upload it for anyone in the world to try. This is like a virtual video game Myspace community.

Name one Nintendo game that does that? No voice chat, no online (except for two games), can't upload or download much of anything. Just because Little Big Planet has a "cute" look does not mean Nintendo has the monopoly on "cute looks." Otherwise I'd give that honor to Disney for inventing it, and even then he got it from somewhere else. Forget the looks of the game, look at the LittleBigPlanet can do -- things even the big budget Wii titles can't do.

PhoebusFlows

I wasn't saying the game mechanics were inspired by Nintendo, simply the aesthetics. When I first saw the game, the character designs and emphasis on cooperation seemed instantly reminiscent of Animal Crossing. I'm not saying Nintendo owns the trademark for cute games, simply that they've reduced some of the scrutiny cute games tend to face. Nonetheless, the LittleBigPlanet bit was a very minor part of my arguement and a strange thing to pick out. I'd be more interested in hearing you elaborate on what you think Nintendo has or will copy from other companies.

Eponique

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Eponique

springz300

The recent NDP report disagrees.

ramen613

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 ramen613
Member since 2007 • 621 Posts

Well sure, in terms of actual power the Wii doesn't stack up. But hey, maybe next gen Nintendo won't be such cheap bastards and give us a console that can make better graphics than a seven pound half a decade old Xbox!

I don't understand why Nintendo has gotten so cheap lately.

Ever since the runaway success of a certain handheld Nintendo thinks it can skimp out on actual processing power to turn ridiculous profits, which I'm aware is just business but come on! Imagine having Resident Evil 5 on the Wii with graphics and physics that are at least close to the 360 and PS3?

You have to admit it would be nice if Nintendo at least took a hit for their consumer.

Hell even Sony is losing like 200$ dollars with every PS3 sold! (which isn't many mind you, but it adds up)

Am I the only frustrated by this?:|

Oh well, maybe next gen Nintendo can make an innovative and with the times console in terms of developing technology and balance in terms of power and innovation. Maybe they'll screw over the consumer for "meh" graphics and physics for more money.

Who knows.

Thoughts?

duncanvk
if they were cheap then they wouldnt give us faulty hardware like tne 360
Ehlohim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Ehlohim

springz300

Somehow, I really doubt you accurately represent "hardcore gamers". Games have always been my main hobby. I've been gaming since the NES days, although the first console I actually played was my older bro's 2600. I've owned a variety of consoles and handhelds from both sides of the fence, playstation included. I've played, beat,and still enjoy a rich gamut of game genres (right now I'm playing through Resident Evil 4 again, Boktai, and about to finish Starcraft). I say these things because I'm a serious gamer who happens to love the Wii. It seems to me that most of the people who call themselves hardcore are just niche gamers who throw around a lot of money.

Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Willy105
[QUOTE="Willy105"]

[QUOTE="tree-branch"]hopefully the next sytem nintendo makes looks better then the xbox.tree-branch

no,rouge is the best

ill never change it

Ha, then you will always have to live with hating Nintendo, yet having a character for a game that became popular on a Nintendo system. Sucks, don't it?

And the Wii does look better than the Xbox.

Shiny white Apple-looking machine >>>>>>>> giant black box with an X on the top.

Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Willy105

[QUOTE="PhoebusFlows"]name one online sports game. Zero.Tsug_Ze_Wind

One. Strikers.

Two. Madden NFL 08

Taladon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Taladon
Member since 2007 • 74 Posts

Haziqonfire

Media attention =/= justification for poor hardware.

New game announcements =/= Good games

Sales =/= mean the console itself is good. It's a casual fad. It's different, but not NEARLY better than the competition.