Maybe it's not just a Nintendo problem...

• 133 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#51 Posted by DarkLink77 (31695 posts) -

It's about games. It always has been and always will be. It's not the state of the economy. It's not the identity of the manufacturer. It's not the hardware specs. It's games. Until new hardware gets must-have games it won't sell. That's all there is to it.

PatchMaster

Very true.

Unfortunately, the things in bold probably aren't helping.

#52 Posted by StormyJoe (4869 posts) -

[QUOTE="PatchMaster"]

It's about games. It always has been and always will be. It's not the state of the economy. It's not the identity of the manufacturer. It's not the hardware specs. It's games. Until new hardware gets must-have games it won't sell. That's all there is to it.

DarkLink77

Very true.

I disagree. You both seem to be proceeding from the assumption that Nintendo can tap the same base it did with the Wii. I don't think that is true at all - a good portion of Wii owners are non-tradional gamers; and another portion all but abandoned the platform for the PS3 or 360.

As far as "there are no games", the 360 was sold out for months at launch... and it's best game was Perfect Dark Zero.

#53 Posted by DarkLink77 (31695 posts) -

[QUOTE="DarkLink77"]

[QUOTE="PatchMaster"]

StormyJoe

Very true.

I disagree. You both seem to be proceeding from the assumption that Nintendo can tap the same base it did with the Wii. I don't think that is true at all - a good portion of Wii owners are non-tradional gamers; and another portion all but abandoned the platform for the PS3 or 360.

As far as "there are no games", the 360 was sold out for months at launch... and it's best game was Perfect Dark Zero.

I don't think Nintendo can pull another Wii. I do think they can pull decent numbers if they get their sh!t together, though. Um... the 360 had an excellent launch, and Perfect Dark was by no means the best game on that system. Call of Duty 2 and PGR3 sh!t on that game, as did a lot of the other launch games.
#54 Posted by AznbkdX (3120 posts) -

No one knows how this will play out. If you think you do, you probably don't know much in reality.

Lets wait a year or so and see. The whole gaming market may see a change.

#55 Posted by BrunoBRS (73260 posts) -
1- wii u, like the vita, presently lacks enough good reasons to be purchased. The launch of a new system is alwaya like that. 2- it's the month after holiday season, which means sales as a whole dropped. 3- the mobile market caters to an entirely different crowd. It's only harming the companies trying to cater to that crowd with a console. As you can see, some systems are doing fairly well, mobile market or not. 4- it's not about the tech, it's about what each system brings to the table, what makes them stand out.
#56 Posted by lunar1122 (664 posts) -
ps4 / nextbox will sell wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy more than wii u. The reason the wii u is doing badly is because people learn from their mistakes. The orginal wii was a dust collector and people eventually got very disappointed buying. It got none of the mutliplat games ( and when it did the version looked so damn bad because of the graphics). All it has is nintendo games, of which some are good, but really how much times can mario be milked? ..like seriously.. People are fedup of the crap nintendo releases and want a real console. 2-3 years from now when xbox 720/ps4 get all the next gen games, whats going to happen to the wii u with its inferior xbox 360 looking graphics? whos gonna wanna play zig zag graphics on battle field 3 ports with less players (24 or so) vs 64 players and better graphics on the real next gen hardware? wii u is a failure right out of the box Francis also agrees with me http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JkdqL2rhWns
#57 Posted by KillzoneSnake (1691 posts) -

ps4 / nextbox will sell wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy more than wii u. The reason the wii u is doing badly is because people learn from their mistakes. The orginal wii was a dust collector and people eventually got very disappointed buying. It got none of the mutliplat games ( and when it did the version looked so damn bad because of the graphics). All it has is nintendo games, of which some are good, but really how much times can mario be milked? ..like seriously.. People are fedup of the crap nintendo releases and want a real console. 2-3 years from now when xbox 720/ps4 get all the next gen games, whats going to happen to the wii u with its inferior xbox 360 looking graphics? whos gonna wanna play zig zag graphics on battle field 3 ports with less players (24 or so) vs 64 players and better graphics on the real next gen hardware? wii u is a failure right out of the box Francis also agrees with me http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JkdqL2rhWnslunar1122

This man speaks the truth.

Its going to be funny how the Wii U will get no multiplat games the next gen consoles will have. Devs aren't going to also make a last gen version of their game just for Wii U lol.

Wii U will die people... it doesn't have the casual pull that got moms to buy the Wii. You know... shacking the stick all over the place :shock:

#58 Posted by 2Chalupas (5014 posts) -

[QUOTE="Blue_Shield"]

The whole "tables and smartphones markets are hurting Nintendo" point would be a valid argument, if Nintendo was making the right choices.

Just one little problem. They are not. Not even close. Mobile or not, Nintendo decision making would still be dumb. They are just all the more dumb now, with tougher marketplace they face now.

Zophar87

Your statement would make sense if the 3DS was having a hard time. Except it's not. The way you state it doesn't sound like a Nintendo problem at all, but more like an "industry as a whole" issue. Sony and Microsoft have both made horrible decisions, why not call them out too if that's the case?

360 outsold Wii-U like 4:1 in January and PS3 outsold it like 3:1 - this was after the holidays, after all the "black friday bundles" at $199 were in effect. So even when the "last gen" consoles had their prices go back UP to $249 or $299, they still outsold the Wii-U like crazy. The holiday launch also fell massively below Nintendo's own expectations. That sounds like a Nintendo problem.

Also the 3DS is not a tablet or smartphone. So the fact that it's doing (reasonably) well proves that the 3DS is a product people want even in a world of smartphones and tablets, the Wii-U is a product people dont' want. Therefore Nintendo clearly screwed the pooch with the Wii-U launch. It has less to do with the overall market, and more to do with the design of the product and lack of games. (also the confusing marketing in calling it the Wii-U... common people dont know anything about it... they don't know it exists or is a new console).

#59 Posted by Mrmedia01 (1917 posts) -

Wii U has no compelling software, not much reason to buy it at the moment.SaltyMeatballs

Oh and I would not consider the Hardware next gen either.

As long as Xbox 720 and PS4 release something day 1 that puts everyone in "Awwwww WoW, that was amazing and that was next gen gaming"

They will sell much better than WiiU. The casuals might be gone, but the hardcores are still there, and us Hardcores love Sony and MS games. Give me the next Uncharted, The Last Guardian, Halo, Gears, Disgaea, I want to PLAY THEM ALL, I play hardcore games of all genres and unique games.

#60 Posted by PurpleMan5000 (6963 posts) -

[QUOTE="DarkLink77"] An industry crash would probably be one of the best things that could happen at this point.LordQuorthon

Yup. 

The only way I could see that actually happen is if Microsoft and Sony both decide not to allow used game sales. That would make it pretty hard for game shops to stay in business, and low console sales might cause major retailers to stop carrying them in favor of something else.
#61 Posted by 2Chalupas (5014 posts) -

ps4 / nextbox will sell wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy more than wii u. The reason the wii u is doing badly is because people learn from their mistakes. The orginal wii was a dust collector and people eventually got very disappointed buying. It got none of the mutliplat games ( and when it did the version looked so damn bad because of the graphics). All it has is nintendo games, of which some are good, but really how much times can mario be milked? ..like seriously.. People are fedup of the crap nintendo releases and want a real console. 2-3 years from now when xbox 720/ps4 get all the next gen games, whats going to happen to the wii u with its inferior xbox 360 looking graphics? whos gonna wanna play zig zag graphics on battle field 3 ports with less players (24 or so) vs 64 players and better graphics on the real next gen hardware? wii u is a failure right out of the box Francis also agrees with me http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JkdqL2rhWnslunar1122

Winner.

Wii was a fad. It sold like gangbusters for 2 years, then Nintendo thougth they had a cash machine. So all they did was make low budget games for it, and license any shovelware that was presented to them.  There were MONTHS stretches where the Wii had no decent games at all, and in the last half of it's existance it maybe got 4 or 5 worthwhile games per year. (Ironically the very last year was one of it's best, but probably after many people had long given up). 

I knew Wii-U was in trouble after the 1st E3. I said then the Wii-U was confusing, and the best thing they could do was drop the whole tablet thing and instead to make a "Super Wii" which would have had a nostalgia factor from the SNES days. So those very same casuals that bought the Wii, might have jumped back in for the Super Wii. Unfortunately the Wii-U was totally confusing. I'm sure there are still alot of people that just think it's a tablet add on to the Wii, like the uDraw or something like that. Anyway Nintendo had their chance to fix things after the original reveal, but they did not go back to the drawing board. In fact, they didn't seem to do anything much at all except secure some half-assed effort for 3rd party support (that I knew would not materialize long term, because the Wii-U is not truly a next gen system). 

#62 Posted by PurpleMan5000 (6963 posts) -
I think Nintendo would have been much better off by making the Mii's look a whole lot better than they do on the Wii and 3DS. When your flagship game is Nintendo Land, and the graphics, other than being displayed at a higher resolution, don't appear to be that much better than what's on the Wii, consumers are going to think you are just selling a peripheral.
#63 Posted by LegatoSkyheart (24865 posts) -

No, casuals would have bought the WiiU if the graphics looked like The Adventures of TinTin.

(Ironically the very last year was one of it's best, but probably after many people had long given up). 

2Chalupas

You mean 2010.

2010 was the BEST Year for the Nintendo Wii.

2011 was abysmal.

#64 Posted by Novotine (1199 posts) -
I'm thinking it's solely a Nintendo problem. The Wii U is dead and Nintendo is in some serious trouble.
#65 Posted by Lucianu (9349 posts) -

People made the same doom and gloom threads over and over wen the 3DS was failing. Look at how the 3DS skyrocketed thanks to a steady supply of quality games. The same thing will happen to the Wii U once it taps a steady supply of good games. Once they get a foothold of a new Zelda, Super Smash Bros., Mario Kart, that new JRPG that i forgot what its called, and other games, it'll sell like there's no tomorrow. I'll bet you. 

#66 Posted by AznbkdX (3120 posts) -

I wish ignorance was fleeting.

I mean yeah its bad, but holy hell... some of the comments on here are ultra facepalm worthy. :lol:

#67 Posted by fernandmondego_ (3170 posts) -
It's a Nintendo problem.
#68 Posted by LegatoSkyheart (24865 posts) -

People made the same doom and gloom threads over and over wen the 3DS was failing. Look at how the 3DS skyrocketed thanks to a steady supply of quality games. The same thing will happen to the Wii U once it taps a steady supply of good games. Once they get a foothold of a new Zelda, Super Smash Bros., Mario Kart, that new JRPG that i forgot what its called, and other games, it'll sell like there's no tomorrow. I'll bet you. 

Lucianu

Thing is, 3rd Party was there for the 3DS.

3rd Party isn't there for WiiU.

We'll see as E3 gets closer, but I'm almost certain 3rd party doesn't want to let go of Sony or Microsoft anytime soon.

#69 Posted by KungfuKitten (20840 posts) -

[QUOTE="Lucianu"]

LegatoSkyheart

Thing is, 3rd Party was there for the 3DS.

3rd Party isn't there for WiiU.

We'll see as E3 gets closer, but I'm almost certain 3rd party doesn't want to let go of Sony or Microsoft anytime soon.

Sony or Microsoft and the PC. I suppose many people would buy a console even if there was a better alternative in every way. I'm really hoping that people will wise up. Rationally, this should be more of a Microsoft console problem than a Nintendo or Sony problem.

#70 Posted by LordQuorthon (5283 posts) -

The only way I could see that actually happen is if Microsoft and Sony both decide not to allow used game sales. That would make it pretty hard for game shops to stay in business, and low console sales might cause major retailers to stop carrying them in favor of something else.PurpleMan5000

They, as well as developers, will do a lot of crap to fight against used games. What most forum dwellers don't understand is that used games are not the problem, development costs and a stagnant interest on the hobby by the general public is the real issue. Waging war against used games is more of a financial palliative that developers (and now apparently at least one hardware company) have decided to use in order to avoid the real problems. 

Third parties can't really be as open as they should about how they can't really take risks and how HD development costs have remained almost the same since 2006 (the entire industry was counting on those to go down after 2009 or something like that). A developer can't really tweet about how their next game has to sell a million copies to break even and how anything less than that will force them to stick to the Call of Soldiers of Street Fighting Auto: Revenge of the Resident Fantasy Zombies VIII-2 or else it's buh-bye studio. Thus, they go after used games and sell horse armor DLC in an attempt to squeeze the last penny out of your wallet. 

In a way, hard to believe as it is, Japanese developers have outsmarted their Western competitors. Yes, there's the whole "TROLLOLOLO JAPANESE GAMES ARE STUCK IN THE LATE 90S OR SUMTHN CARTOONY GAMES LOL" which has a lot of truth to it and, yes, Japanese games don't sell or have the same impact as they used to sell and have in Western countries a few years ago, but still, if a Japanese game developer makes a game for a portable and sells 80 thousands copies, the game is already profitable. That kind of safety net gives studios more space to breath and let developers try different things here and there. The Wii was supposed to be somewhere in between HD consoles and handhelds in terms of development costs and the kind of risks developers would want to take, but nobody in the West saw that opportunity. In Japan, however, some developers actually did, but most still prefered to stick with handhelds because of the gigantic installed base. 

The Wii U will have HD development costs and the next Microsoft and Sony consoles will have HD development costs + X. It's safe to assume that they will keep attacking used games to hide the real issue and plenty of companies will go the way of THQ on account of not having a franchise like Call of Duty to rely on. Also, not trying to lure children in during the last generation was a monumental mistake. That's when people are supposed to get into video games. If you don't lure children in, your potential audience will inevitably tend to shrink.

Then again, this is System Wars... Making sense if forbidden around these parts so: THEY SHOULD HAVE NAMED IT TEH SUPER WII THAT WOULD HAVE SAVED THEM LOLOLOLOL. 

#71 Posted by PurpleMan5000 (6963 posts) -
I personally don't care if there is not another non-Nintendo published game on the Wii U, as long as it gets quality first party titles for the next 5-7 years. If you are buying a console for anything more than exclusives, you are doing it wrong, imo.
#72 Posted by ImBatman- (1014 posts) -

The PS4 will be the saviour of this industry.

#73 Posted by PurpleMan5000 (6963 posts) -
It might be, Batman, but it's going to have to cost less than $599 US dollars to do so.
#74 Posted by fernandmondego_ (3170 posts) -
I personally don't care if there is not another non-Nintendo published game on the Wii U, as long as it gets quality first party titles for the next 5-7 years. If you are buying a console for anything more than exclusives, you are doing it wrong, imo.PurpleMan5000
That is a very naive attitude.
#75 Posted by PurpleMan5000 (6963 posts) -
[QUOTE="PurpleMan5000"]I personally don't care if there is not another non-Nintendo published game on the Wii U, as long as it gets quality first party titles for the next 5-7 years. If you are buying a console for anything more than exclusives, you are doing it wrong, imo.fernandmondego_

Why is that? I'm just a consumer who plays video games. Why should I care about how much money Nintendo earns, or whether they even stay afloat? If I can get 5-7 years of quality games off of my purchase, that is good enough. I play multiplats on the PC, and I don't really see that ever changing. If a console does not have several exclusive IP's that interest me, I'm not picking it up. 3rd parties don't sell consoles to me.
#76 Posted by PurpleMan5000 (6963 posts) -

[QUOTE="PurpleMan5000"]

The only way I could see that actually happen is if Microsoft and Sony both decide not to allow used game sales. That would make it pretty hard for game shops to stay in business, and low console sales might cause major retailers to stop carrying them in favor of something else.LordQuorthon

They, as well as developers, will do a lot of crap to fight against used games. What most forum dwellers don't understand is that used games are not the problem, development costs and a stagnant interest on the hobby by the general public is the real issue. Waging war against used games is more of a financial palliative that developers (and now apparently at least one hardware company) have decided to use in order to avoid the real problems. 

Third parties can't really be as open as they should about how they can't really take risks and how HD development costs have remained almost the same since 2006 (the entire industry was counting on those to go down after 2009 or something like that). A developer can't really tweet about how their next game has to sell a million copies to break even and how anything less than that will force them to stick to the Call of Soldiers of Street Fighting Auto: Revenge of the Resident Fantasy Zombies VIII-2 or else it's buh-bye studio. Thus, they go after used games and sell horse armor DLC in an attempt to squeeze the last penny out of your wallet. 

In a way, hard to believe as it is, Japanese developers have outsmarted their Western competitors. Yes, there's the whole "TROLLOLOLO JAPANESE GAMES ARE STUCK IN THE LATE 90S OR SUMTHN CARTOONY GAMES LOL" which has a lot of truth to it and, yes, Japanese games don't sell or have the same impact as they used to sell and have in Western countries a few years ago, but still, if a Japanese game developer makes a game for a portable and sells 80 thousands copies, the game is already profitable. That kind of safety net gives studios more space to breath and let developers try different things here and there. The Wii was supposed to be somewhere in between HD consoles and handhelds in terms of development costs and the kind of risks developers would want to take, but nobody in the West saw that opportunity. In Japan, however, some developers actually did, but most still prefered to stick with handhelds because of the gigantic installed base. 

The Wii U will have HD development costs and the next Microsoft and Sony consoles will have HD development costs + X. It's safe to assume that they will keep attacking used games to hide the real issue and plenty of companies will go the way of THQ on account of not having a franchise like Call of Duty to rely on. Also, not trying to lure children in during the last generation was a monumental mistake. That's when people are supposed to get into video games. If you don't lure children in, your potential audience will inevitably tend to shrink.

Then again, this is System Wars... Making sense if forbidden around these parts so: THEY SHOULD HAVE NAMED IT TEH SUPER WII THAT WOULD HAVE SAVED THEM LOLOLOLOL. 

This is a high quality post and I agree with it for the most part.
#77 Posted by fernandmondego_ (3170 posts) -
[QUOTE="fernandmondego_"][QUOTE="PurpleMan5000"]I personally don't care if there is not another non-Nintendo published game on the Wii U, as long as it gets quality first party titles for the next 5-7 years. If you are buying a console for anything more than exclusives, you are doing it wrong, imo.PurpleMan5000

Why is that? I'm just a consumer who plays video games. Why should I care about how much money Nintendo earns, or whether they even stay afloat? If I can get 5-7 years of quality games off of my purchase, that is good enough. I play multiplats on the PC, and I don't really see that ever changing. If a console does not have several exclusive IP's that interest me, I'm not picking it up. 3rd parties don't sell consoles to me.

Nintendo games wont be enough to save the WiiU. With the cost of developing games they will need to sell a lot of software just to break even on each game. Not only are they not selling much hardware, they are not selling much software. If Nintendo pretty much abandoned the GC becuase they were losing money on it with mostly just Nintendo games, what you think it's going to happen now that cost is much higher and sales are much lower? No third party games keeps people from buying the console which gives Nintendo a smaller userbase to sell games to (they don't get third party royalties either). Nintendo will be swimming in red ink. Unless you want them to go third party, you should hope that they get more third party support.
#78 Posted by fernandmondego_ (3170 posts) -
[QUOTE="PurpleMan5000"][QUOTE="fernandmondego_"]That is a very naive attitude.fernandmondego_

Nintendo games wont be enough to save the WiiU. With the cost of developing games they will need to sell a lot of software just to break even on each game. Not only are they not selling much hardware, they are not selling much software. If Nintendo pretty much abandoned the GC becuase they were losing money on it with mostly just Nintendo games, what you think it's going to happen now that cost is much higher and sales are much lower? No third party games keeps people from buying the console which gives Nintendo a smaller userbase to sell games to (they don't get third party royalties either). Nintendo will be swimming in red ink. Unless you want them to go third party, you should hope that they get more third party support.

Btw, if you get all multi-plats on PC anyways, maybe them going third party would be a good thing for you. You could than save money on buying a console and just get their games on the PC you already have.
#79 Posted by Wild_man_22 (579 posts) -

[QUOTE="Lucianu"]People made the same doom and gloom threads over and over wen the 3DS was failing. Look at how the 3DS skyrocketed thanks to a steady supply of quality games. The same thing will happen to the Wii U once it taps a steady supply of good games. Once they get a foothold of a new Zelda, Super Smash Bros., Mario Kart, that new JRPG that i forgot what its called, and other games, it'll sell like there's no tomorrow. I'll bet you. LegatoSkyheart
Thing is, 3rd Party was there for the 3DS.3rd Party isn't there for WiiU.We'll see as E3 gets closer, but I'm almost certain 3rd party doesn't want to let go of Sony or Microsoft anytime soon.

I'd debate that, other then resident evil/kingdom hearts what big third party games has 3DS gotten from western developers? that people actually bought?

revelations sold so well they're porting it a year later.

Western third party developers haven't done really anything for the 3DS. Nintendo pretty much saved that sinking ship themselves. just my opinion.

Will just have to see if they can do the same with wii-u. Unfortunetly it will probably be alot more work for them. Unless sony and microsoft screw up royally with their launches.

#80 Posted by PurpleMan5000 (6963 posts) -
Nintendo games wont be enough to save the WiiU. With the cost of developing games they will need to sell a lot of software just to break even on each game. Not only are they not selling much hardware, they are not selling much software. If Nintendo pretty much abandoned the GC becuase they were losing money on it with mostly just Nintendo games, what you think it's going to happen now that cost is much higher and sales are much lower? No third party games keeps people from buying the console which gives Nintendo a smaller userbase to sell games to (they don't get third party royalties either). Nintendo will be swimming in red ink. Unless you want them to go third party, you should hope that they get more third party support.fernandmondego_
I don't need to hope for anything. Nintendo is not going to abandon the Wii U after only a couple of years of struggle. As long as they last 5 years or so, I will be happy with my purchase and that is all I really care about. If Nintendo has to go 3rd party, so be it. I agree that Nintendo should hope they can scrounge up some 3rd party support, but unless it comes as quality exclusives, or at least games that aren't on the PC, I won't be buying those games for the Wii U, anyway.
#81 Posted by fernandmondego_ (3170 posts) -

[QUOTE="LegatoSkyheart"][QUOTE="Lucianu"]People made the same doom and gloom threads over and over wen the 3DS was failing. Look at how the 3DS skyrocketed thanks to a steady supply of quality games. The same thing will happen to the Wii U once it taps a steady supply of good games. Once they get a foothold of a new Zelda, Super Smash Bros., Mario Kart, that new JRPG that i forgot what its called, and other games, it'll sell like there's no tomorrow. I'll bet you. Wild_man_22

Thing is, 3rd Party was there for the 3DS.3rd Party isn't there for WiiU.We'll see as E3 gets closer, but I'm almost certain 3rd party doesn't want to let go of Sony or Microsoft anytime soon.

I'd debate that, other then resident evil/kingdom hearts what big third party games has 3DS gotten from western developers? that people actually bought?

Western third party developers haven't done really anything for the 3DS. Nintendo pretty much saved that sinking ship themselves. just my opinion.

Will just have to see if they can do the same with wii-u. Unfortunetly it will probably be alot more work for them. Unless sony and microsoft screw up royally with their launches.

Neither Resident Evil nor Kingdom Hearts are western games.
#82 Posted by PurpleMan5000 (6963 posts) -

[QUOTE="fernandmondego_"][QUOTE="PurpleMan5000"] Why is that? I'm just a consumer who plays video games. Why should I care about how much money Nintendo earns, or whether they even stay afloat? If I can get 5-7 years of quality games off of my purchase, that is good enough. I play multiplats on the PC, and I don't really see that ever changing. If a console does not have several exclusive IP's that interest me, I'm not picking it up. 3rd parties don't sell consoles to me.fernandmondego_

Btw, if you get all multi-plats on PC anyways, maybe them going third party would be a good thing for you. You could than save money on buying a console and just get their games on the PC you already have.

If they can maintain their same level of quality, it wouldn't be bad at all. That's a big "if" though.

#83 Posted by fernandmondego_ (3170 posts) -
[QUOTE="fernandmondego_"]Nintendo games wont be enough to save the WiiU. With the cost of developing games they will need to sell a lot of software just to break even on each game. Not only are they not selling much hardware, they are not selling much software. If Nintendo pretty much abandoned the GC becuase they were losing money on it with mostly just Nintendo games, what you think it's going to happen now that cost is much higher and sales are much lower? No third party games keeps people from buying the console which gives Nintendo a smaller userbase to sell games to (they don't get third party royalties either). Nintendo will be swimming in red ink. Unless you want them to go third party, you should hope that they get more third party support.PurpleMan5000
I don't need to hope for anything. Nintendo is not going to abandon the Wii U after only a couple of years of struggle. As long as they last 5 years or so, I will be happy with my purchase and that is all I really care about. If Nintendo has to go 3rd party, so be it. I agree that Nintendo should hope they can scrounge up some 3rd party support, but unless it comes as quality exclusives, or at least games that aren't on the PC, I won't be buying those games for the Wii U, anyway.

They abandoned the GC, what makes you think they wouldn't do the same to a much bigger money hole that the WiiU seems to be?
#84 Posted by PurpleMan5000 (6963 posts) -
[QUOTE="PurpleMan5000"][QUOTE="fernandmondego_"]Nintendo games wont be enough to save the WiiU. With the cost of developing games they will need to sell a lot of software just to break even on each game. Not only are they not selling much hardware, they are not selling much software. If Nintendo pretty much abandoned the GC becuase they were losing money on it with mostly just Nintendo games, what you think it's going to happen now that cost is much higher and sales are much lower? No third party games keeps people from buying the console which gives Nintendo a smaller userbase to sell games to (they don't get third party royalties either). Nintendo will be swimming in red ink. Unless you want them to go third party, you should hope that they get more third party support.fernandmondego_

They abandoned the GC, what makes you think they wouldn't do the same to a much bigger money hole that the WiiU seems to be?

They abandoned it after 6 years.
#85 Posted by fernandmondego_ (3170 posts) -

[QUOTE="fernandmondego_"][QUOTE="fernandmondego_"]Nintendo games wont be enough to save the WiiU. With the cost of developing games they will need to sell a lot of software just to break even on each game. Not only are they not selling much hardware, they are not selling much software. If Nintendo pretty much abandoned the GC becuase they were losing money on it with mostly just Nintendo games, what you think it's going to happen now that cost is much higher and sales are much lower? No third party games keeps people from buying the console which gives Nintendo a smaller userbase to sell games to (they don't get third party royalties either). Nintendo will be swimming in red ink. Unless you want them to go third party, you should hope that they get more third party support.PurpleMan5000

If they can maintain their same level of quality, it wouldn't be bad at all. That's a big "if" though.

I don't see why they wouldn't. It would be the same game they would make for their own console. Mario Galaxy will be Mario Galaxy on what ever platform.
#86 Posted by Wild_man_22 (579 posts) -

[QUOTE="Wild_man_22"][QUOTE="LegatoSkyheart"]Thing is, 3rd Party was there for the 3DS.3rd Party isn't there for WiiU.We'll see as E3 gets closer, but I'm almost certain 3rd party doesn't want to let go of Sony or Microsoft anytime soon.fernandmondego_

Neither Resident Evil nor Kingdom Hearts are western games.

huh I mispoke on that bit. regardless they're widely popular franchises in the west. I apologize for my awful wording.

#87 Posted by fernandmondego_ (3170 posts) -
[QUOTE="PurpleMan5000"][QUOTE="fernandmondego_"][QUOTE="PurpleMan5000"] I don't need to hope for anything. Nintendo is not going to abandon the Wii U after only a couple of years of struggle. As long as they last 5 years or so, I will be happy with my purchase and that is all I really care about. If Nintendo has to go 3rd party, so be it. I agree that Nintendo should hope they can scrounge up some 3rd party support, but unless it comes as quality exclusives, or at least games that aren't on the PC, I won't be buying those games for the Wii U, anyway.

They abandoned it after 6 years.

Nope. After 04 they pretty much gave up on it. They even delayed Zelda just to make it a Wii launch tittle. The last few years of the GC were incredibly pathetic. They had months where there were no games at all released on it and the only games Nintendo would release on it were cheap shovelware.
#88 Posted by PurpleMan5000 (6963 posts) -
[QUOTE="PurpleMan5000"]

[QUOTE="fernandmondego_"] Btw, if you get all multi-plats on PC anyways, maybe them going third party would be a good thing for you. You could than save money on buying a console and just get their games on the PC you already have.fernandmondego_

I don't see why they wouldn't. It would be the same game they would make for their own console. Mario Galaxy will be Mario Galaxy on what ever platform.

Nintendo would have to change the way they are currently developing games to make games that really work well for the PC. Some games, like Mario Galaxy and Metroid Prime, would be far better on the PC than they currently are on consoles. Other games, like Mario Kart, 2D Mario, Super Smash Bros, etc. have a major emphasis on local multiplayer that would be difficult to capture on the PC. Online play is great, but it seems to have come at a cost to quality local multiplayer experiences in a lot of instances, and I really appreciate that Nintendo still delivers on that aspect.
#89 Posted by OhSnapitz (18100 posts) -

Lucianu

The 3DS had no real competition.. The PSV-> :lol: sure you could site smartphones, tablets, ect.. but in the gaming world it had no competition. Enter the Wii-U and it's competing (seemingly) against the 36o/PS3 both of whom still have strong sales.. and with the 720/PS4 looming in the background. You have to wonder.. will lighting strike twice for Nintendo.

EDIT: Oh and Nintendo slashed the price (quite a bit) of the 3DS a mere 6 months after it's launch.  

#90 Posted by ShadowDeathX (10575 posts) -
The console market I can see regressing.
#91 Posted by fernandmondego_ (3170 posts) -

[QUOTE="fernandmondego_"][QUOTE="PurpleMan5000"] If they can maintain their same level of quality, it wouldn't be bad at all. That's a big "if" though.PurpleMan5000

Nintendo would have to change the way they are currently developing games to make games that really work well for the PC. Some games, like Mario Galaxy and Metroid Prime, would be far better on the PC than they currently are on consoles. Other games, like Mario Kart, 2D Mario, Super Smash Bros, etc. have a major emphasis on local multiplayer that would be difficult to capture on the PC. Online play is great, but it seems to have come at a cost to quality local multiplayer experiences in a lot of instances, and I really appreciate that Nintendo still delivers on that aspect.

People will play them online, plus Nintendo could always put them on another console as well. Than you could take the money you would spend on their console and get a Playstation or Xbox and play Smash Bros on that. You also get access to what ever exclusive that console has.

#92 Posted by WreckEm711 (6922 posts) -
For me it's pretty universal. I'm not in any hurry to upgrade, there are still a ton of games this gen I'd like to play but haven't had a chance to, and with the prices dropping I'll be able to play a lot more before I even want to move on to next gen. Of course, that may change if the MS/Sony consoles show a big enough leap to make it enticing to upgrade, but right now I still have Wii games in my backlog, and there are a lot of 360 games I want to buy.
#93 Posted by fernandmondego_ (3170 posts) -

[QUOTE="Lucianu"]

OhSnapitz

The 3DS had no real competition.. The PSV-> :lol: sure you could site smartphones, tablets, ect.. but in the gaming world it had no competition. Enter the Wii-U and it's competing (seemingly) against the 36o/PS3 both of whom still have strong sales.. and with the 720/PS4 looming in the background. You have to wonder.. will lighting strike twice for Nintendo.

EDIT: Oh and Nintendo slashed the price (quite a bit) of the 3DS a mere 6 months after it's launch.  

I'd argue that tablets and phones have taken a chunk of the handheld market from Nintendo in the US. As parents start to more and more buy smartphones for their kids, this could possibly get worse. The 3DS still sells well but in the US it's not anywhere near what the DS was.
#94 Posted by lamprey263 (23096 posts) -
I think consumers are ready, publishers on the other hand would probably want to sell to a larger install base than a small growing one.
#95 Posted by DivineSword (15744 posts) -

I'm not really sure atm. Nintendo poor decision seems to indicate that it's a Nintendo problem, but until we see the sales of the next Playstation and Xbox I can't really say for sure.

#96 Posted by ultimate-k (2348 posts) -

Nintendo is 5 years too late to the competation, no one wants a wii u because it offers nothing that 5 year old consoles can't already do. People rather save money on new cutting edge hardware, than a console that should of been released 5 years ago.

#97 Posted by sailor232 (4432 posts) -

I think most people that buy into gaming are not "hardcore" enough to worry about specs, which just leaves the wiiU problem to the lack of games out at the moment.

#98 Posted by nintendoboy16 (26272 posts) -

[QUOTE="PurpleMan5000"]

[QUOTE="fernandmondego_"] Btw, if you get all multi-plats on PC anyways, maybe them going third party would be a good thing for you. You could than save money on buying a console and just get their games on the PC you already have.fernandmondego_

I can see why they would. Referring to Nintendo's former rivals at SEGA with the Sonic series.

The original Sonic Adventure on Dreamcast got high praise, the later ports for GameCube, PSN, and XBLA got slammed (why the PC version didn't get reviewed is beyond me, I've played it and it was quite a sloppy port, despite the game being quite fun)

Not to mention, the newer Sonic games, regardless of positive (Sonic Advance series, Sonic Rush series, Sonic Colors, Sonic Generations) or negative (Sonic the Hedgehog 06, Sonic the Hedgehog Genesis, Shadow the Hedgehog) were mostly hated on by fans and for a while SEGA got hate for mishandling the Sonic franchise alone after they went third party (before the Bayonetta and Shining Force III YouTube copyright claim controversies came along).

#99 Posted by mariokart64fan (19377 posts) -

nintendo is far from dead look at 3ds !!

#100 Posted by fernandmondego_ (3170 posts) -

[QUOTE="fernandmondego_"][QUOTE="PurpleMan5000"] If they can maintain their same level of quality, it wouldn't be bad at all. That's a big "if" though.

nintendoboy16

I can see why they would. Referring to Nintendo's former rivals at SEGA with the Sonic series.

The original Sonic Adventure on Dreamcast got high praise, the later ports for GameCube, PSN, and XBLA got slammed (why the PC version didn't get reviewed is beyond me, I've played it and it was quite a sloppy port, despite the game being quite fun)

Not to mention, the newer Sonic games, regardless of positive (Sonic Advance series, Sonic Rush series, Sonic Colors, Sonic Generations) or negative (Sonic the Hedgehog 06, Sonic the Hedgehog Genesis, Shadow the Hedgehog) were mostly hated on by fans and for a while SEGA got hate for mishandling the Sonic franchise alone after they went third party (before the Bayonetta and Shining Force III YouTube copyright claim controversies came along).

Massive difference.