May 2014 NPD thread of officiality

Posted by Shewgenja (7949 posts) 1 month, 16 days ago

Poll: May 2014 NPD thread of officiality (178 votes)

PS4 did its thing again. It's a blowout! 57%
XBone is back in the saddle. Good news swings the US firmly back to MS. 6%
Nintendo made like an Altered Beast and RISEd FROM IT'S GRAVE! Rawr! 11%
PS4 won, but not by much. May was not an easy victory for the Playstation. 16%
XBone is winning back the US slowly but surely. Wasn't a big victory, but an important one. 5%
Nintendo scrapped one out. Came out on top, though. Winning is winning #VinDiesel 4%

What kind of NPD month are we going to have from May? System Wars, the vote begins now! I will try to update the OP with the results when they become available. I figured a poll would be a fun way to do it this time.

#1 Posted by Daious (880 posts) -

When do the results come out?

#2 Posted by Desmonic (12703 posts) -

Well, considering they announced that the X1 would be cheaper in June (this month) by the start of May, I expect regular PS4 sales with shit X1 sales (since there was only the $499 available).

June should be a far more interesting story though. But yeah, PS4 in the lead, and the other two fighting it out for the 2nd place.

#3 Posted by Suppaman100 (3596 posts) -

PS4 still dominating although much less than previous months.

One thing's sure. TLWBO

#4 Posted by chikenfriedrice (9426 posts) -

Sadly I think the PS4 will take May by 30k

#5 Posted by finalstar2007 (24876 posts) -

like always

PS4 First

3DS second

Xbox One Last place

#6 Edited by lglz1337 (3023 posts) -

ps4 wins!

and lemmings will not care about sales once again

#7 Posted by DEadliNE-Zero0 (685 posts) -

PS4 ahead. By how much, i don't know.

#8 Edited by Suppaman100 (3596 posts) -

Obligatory Xbone fail gif

#9 Posted by Nengo_Flow (9291 posts) -

i think the xbox sold decent and the PS4 sold less than previous months but still more than xbox one.

June NPD you'll probably see the xbox one and PS4 about even in numbers sold for that month

#10 Posted by TheEroica (13062 posts) -

@finalstar2007: fancy trolling there finalstar ;)

Ps4 and Xbox one will be separated by less than 20k this month I feel... wiiu will be behind the lead by > 50k.

My guess based on nothing. :D

#11 Posted by LadyBlue (3722 posts) -

PS4 in first place

WiiU takes two if this includes the MK8 surge

Xbone last

handhelds

3ds first

vita dead

#12 Posted by I_can_haz (6484 posts) -

Obligatory Xbone fail gif

Pretty much confirms the SDC we'll be seeing for May.

#13 Posted by StormyJoe (4584 posts) -

@Desmonic said:

Well, considering they announced that the X1 would be cheaper in June (this month) by the start of May, I expect regular PS4 sales with shit X1 sales (since there was only the $499 available).

June should be a far more interesting story though. But yeah, PS4 in the lead, and the other two fighting it out for the 2nd place.

This

#14 Posted by Riverwolf007 (23398 posts) -

i am pretty sure the ps4 will be leading this entire gen.

the only reason the 360 did so well was because of how terrible the ps3 was for the first couple of years.

without sony shooting themselves in the foot ms has little chance at a lead.

#15 Posted by Zero_epyon (5048 posts) -

@Desmonic said:

I agree. If I were in the market for an xbox I would have waited for the price drop as well. But after E3, there's really not much coming out for each console exclusively, so I don't see much change in the gap, but both slowing down in June.

#16 Posted by Shewgenja (7949 posts) -

@Desmonic said:

This

Let's not kid ourselves. XBone is going to get murdered in June NPD, too.

#17 Edited by GrenadeLauncher (3231 posts) -

So chaps, how bad are we expecting it to be?

#18 Posted by Nike_Air (18253 posts) -

@daious said:

When do the results come out?

Monday.

#19 Posted by StormyJoe (4584 posts) -

@StormyJoe said:

@Desmonic said:

This

Let's not kid ourselves. XBone is going to get murdered in June NPD, too.

I don't know if that is true.

#20 Posted by Indicud (739 posts) -

@TheEroica: based on your fanboy*

PS4 is going to outsell it 2:1.

#21 Posted by TheEroica (13062 posts) -
#22 Posted by kingtito (4739 posts) -

like always

PS4 First

3DS second

Xbox One Last place

Suddenly the Wii U isn't counted?

Always cowing aren't you kid?

#23 Posted by xhawk27 (7089 posts) -

@lglz1337 said:

ps4 wins!

Like you didn't care about most of last gen.

#24 Posted by blackace (19745 posts) -

I wouldn't expect much in May. Low sales all around. XB1 won't see an increase until June with the new SKU released. Then again in Sept when it launches in Japan and all those other countries. Then once more after Master Chief Collection is launched.

#25 Posted by Heil68 (42691 posts) -

More domination for the by gamers for gamers SONY and the illustrious PS4.

#26 Posted by Shewgenja (7949 posts) -

@xhawk27 said:

@lglz1337 said:

ps4 wins!

Like you didn't care about most of last gen.

Hmmm. I thought the debate the Cows got owned on, at least since I've been here, is which year will be "The Year of the PS3" overtaking the 360 in global sales? I've only been here since 09, but that would definitely cover most of Gen7.

#27 Edited by Dire_Weasel (15886 posts) -

Xbox One will sell less than 100k on the NPD, and may even get passed by the Wii U for May.

Playstation 4 will sell about 200k, and I'm guessing will double Xbox One sales in May.

PS Vita will have a slight increase this month, thanks to the Vita 2000 being released in NA.

For those that are thinking the Xbox One will have a giant comeback for June, you might want to take a look at the Amazon best-sellers list for the month of June:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/bestsellers/2014-06/videogames?tag=viglink129408-20

The Playstation 4 has two SKUs in the top 20: The $399 model at #9, and the $449 Destiny Bundle at #20.

The Xbox One $499 Titanfall bundle is at #47, and the $399 Xbox One Kinectless bundle is at #52.

Manage your expectations.

#28 Posted by lamprey263 (22456 posts) -

I don't expect the Xbox to do good (or better at least) until the June price cut is taken into account.

#29 Posted by ghostwarrior786 (3310 posts) -

ps4 will more than double x1 in may because thats the month ms announced the kinectless sku so people were probably wait for that. 200k ps4 80-100k x1

#30 Posted by LadyBlue (3722 posts) -
#31 Edited by ghostwarrior786 (3310 posts) -

@Desmonic said:

june will be the new march, bu-bu-bu titanfall!!!!

#32 Posted by Desmonic (12703 posts) -

9/10 times a price drop, propels better sales than regular "good" months, so it wouldn't be any sort of surprise if it happened.

#33 Posted by kingtito (4739 posts) -

Funny how cows care about NPD sales numbers all of a sudden. They didn't give 2 shits about it for 7 years last gen "buh buh buh NPD =/= world" was the mantra

#34 Posted by Shewgenja (7949 posts) -

@kingtito said:

Funny how cows care about NPD sales numbers all of a sudden. They didn't give 2 shits about it for 7 years last gen "buh buh buh NPD =/= world" was the mantra

Sour grapes much?

#35 Posted by TheTruthIsREAL (750 posts) -

Ps4 of course. There's no reason to buy an Xbox One

#36 Edited by ninjapirate2000 (2934 posts) -

I'm guessing ps4 by 80k.

#37 Edited by LadyBlue (3722 posts) -
@Desmonic said:

@ghostwarrior786 said:

9/10 times a price drop, propels better sales than regular "good" months, so it wouldn't be any sort of surprise if it happened.

Is that concern I'm reading?

#38 Edited by Desmonic (12703 posts) -

@ladyblue said:

Is that concern I'm reading?

Wut?

#39 Posted by edwardecl (1796 posts) -

I would be surprise if the PS4 didn't outsell the Xbox One by at least 2:1 due to the price cut being announced.

#40 Posted by sailor232 (4273 posts) -

Ps4 will be in front, only way I can see it changing is if Sony don't bring anything out at all for it while Microsoft continue to pump out games.

#41 Posted by LadyBlue (3722 posts) -

@Desmonic said:

Wut?

The xbox is about to outsell the ps4.

#42 Posted by Desmonic (12703 posts) -

@ladyblue said:

@Desmonic said:

Wut?

Yeah, and I was explaining it to him. Where the heck did you get concern from that? lol

#43 Posted by Speak_Low (746 posts) -

PS4>Xbox One>Wii U

X1 and Wii U numbers won't see much of a bump this NPD because it will reflect sales from the month of May (before the $399 price drop and MK8)

#44 Posted by LadyBlue (3722 posts) -

@Desmonic said:

@ladyblue said:

@Desmonic said:

Wut?

Yeah, and I was explaining it to him. Where the heck did you get concern from that? lol

I'm capable of sensing concern (& other emotions) from text. I developed it years ago.

#45 Edited by mynamesdenvrmax (2191 posts) -

@lglz1337 said:

ps4 wins!

At least Microsoft is willing to report sales knowing they'll get better. Sony just flat out was embarrassed and hid them for years. Talk about fanboys not "caring" about sales, PS fanboys just played it off like "Only stupid Americans like the shootboxtdontfailme" or my favorite: "AMERICA ISNT THE WORLD!" (no, just the market that sells the most consoles).

#46 Posted by kingtito (4739 posts) -

@kingtito said:

Sour grapes much?

Sour grapes from what super cow? I was never impressed with NPD sales for any of the consoles. I just find you hypocrites funny is all.

#47 Edited by B4X (2679 posts) -

Worse thread ever!

There is only one answer. The first choice. The rest is just filler to make your thread self fanboy compliant.

#48 Posted by CrashNBurn281 (385 posts) -

ps4 will more than double x1 in may because thats the month ms announced the kinectless sku so people were probably wait for that. 200k ps4 80-100k x1

This. I do not see people going out to buy XBO when a significant price cut is widely known for the following month. Probably some of the lowest since it has come out. Hell who knows, weird things have been known to happen though.

#49 Edited by super600 (29967 posts) -

@speak_low said:

PS4>Xbox One>Wii U

X1 and Wii U numbers won't see much of a bump this NPD because it will reflect sales from the month of May (before the $399 price drop and MK8)

There's about a 70% chance the wiiu beats the xbox one in May. It sold at least 60k in the last week or so in May in the US and about 12--14k in the previous weeks in May. So anywere from 90K-120K is possible for the WiiU.

#50 Edited by B4X (2679 posts) -
@super600 said:

@speak_low said:

PS4>Xbox One>Wii U

There's about a 70% chance the wiiu beats the xbox one in May. It sold at least 60k in the last week or so in May in the US and about 12--14k in the previous weeks in May. So anywere from 90K-120K is possible for the WiiU.

That could be very true. I think Mario Kart 8 is pushing sales.

I was just at Bestbuy today the games manager "Terry "said they were sold through their 2nd shipment of 399 X1's. Waiting on their 3rd. He said they are selling fast. Who knows if they only got 20-30 console shipments though. I didn't ask.

This is a small example. So who knows. June should be interesting though

I'll ask him about WiiU sales. When I go back in. One stores sales is minuet in the over all picture. Maybe he can give me regional St. Louis store numbers.

I'll find out.