Master Chief: Greatest Video Game Character Ever Created?

• 166 results
#1 Posted by Draign (691 posts) -

I dedicate my 500th post to the man, the myth, the legend. The greatness which is Halo and the character which lends its identity, are undisputed & undeniable. Master Chief has blazed a path for the past 3 generations and counting. It is a testament that we are are still mystified by what drives him, and where he will lead us. No matter our gaming platform of choice, we have all heard the name, and at some time or another, witnessed the glory.

Salute- Master Chief

#2 Edited by Heil68 (43946 posts) -

No, that would go to either Pacman or Mario.

#3 Edited by Desmonic (13745 posts) -

@Heil68 said:

#4 Posted by jsmoke03 (12841 posts) -

i never got why all the lems have a hard on for this guy....

#5 Edited by BldgIrsh (2192 posts) -

Mr. Game and Watch /thread

#6 Posted by lostrib (35796 posts) -

lol

#7 Edited by DEadliNE-Zero0 (1946 posts) -

@Desmonic said:

@Heil68 said:

This

#8 Posted by SecretPolice (21752 posts) -

Without a smidgen of doubt, yes.

#9 Posted by freedomfreak (39997 posts) -

lol

#10 Posted by sam890 (1108 posts) -

I don't believe there could be a "greatest video game character ever created".

#11 Edited by always_explicit (2763 posts) -

I will agree he is a definite contender because he isnt simply a recognised character like mario....he is a character with a story to tell. He is definitely top 3 greatest and probably my personal number one also.

followed by Zelda and Agent 47.

I actually think mario is one of the worst video game characters.

#12 Posted by HadOne2Many (1279 posts) -

I guess this depends on your age and what type of games you were playing when you first started out. Mario for me since I started gaming in the early 80's, but for the younger crowd who's first experience was on the OG Xbox, then yeah I can see it. The Halo games are top notch.

#13 Posted by R4gn4r0k (16449 posts) -

I find him to be very unremarkable.

He's not a bad game character, far from it, but he doesn't have anything that makes him stand out.

#14 Posted by PrincessGomez92 (3538 posts) -

He's a great character for sure. You've clearly never played Lollipop Chainsaw though. That has the greatest game character.

#15 Edited by ReadingRainbow4 (13815 posts) -

Oh god no.

He's the archetype strong,silent and bald marine character.

#16 Posted by Heil68 (43946 posts) -

@Desmonic said:

@Heil68 said:

Dont be hating on Pacman, that game put games in the main stream brother :P

#17 Posted by Blabadon (26150 posts) -

He's the poster child for video games' popularity boom in the 2000s.

As a character, none of the Halos I've played have meant anything to put him in contention.

#18 Posted by Mozelleple112 (6658 posts) -

Nope, Master chief deserves the most generic video game character in existence award. The greatest video game character award should go to G-man (villain) or Solid Snake (hero)

#19 Edited by B4X (4269 posts) -

Pac-Man {Started it all. Popularity was unreal at the time.}> Mario> Zelda> Master Chief> Sonic> Donkey Kong> Solid Snake> Laura Croft> MK Scorpion> Ryo Hazuki> FF Sepiroth> Banjo Kazooie> Crash Bandicoot > SF Ryu / Bison> ?

That's my list. Popularity now is very different to that list for many people though.

#20 Posted by MlauTheDaft (3638 posts) -

I think he's rather generic and not particularly interesting.

He's basically a space marine and about as deep as the characters from GeoW.

#21 Posted by Desmonic (13745 posts) -

@Heil68 said:

@Desmonic said:

@Heil68 said:

Dont be hating on Pacman, that game put games in the main stream brother :P

Aye, he did, but he hasn't been relevant for a long time, while Mario has yet to become irrelevant (for Ninty or gaming in general). Between the two, Mario is the clear winner IMO. :)

#22 Posted by Telekill (4511 posts) -

Master Chief is a favorite of many but the best ever created? No. That award is subjective and depends on the time.

If it's your opinion that he's the best ever created then he is to you. For me, Nathan Drake is the best ever created.

#23 Edited by ReadingRainbow4 (13815 posts) -

I'd say Big Boss is easily the best game character. Followed by Solid Snake.

#24 Edited by thehig1 (1695 posts) -

@Heil68: true but pacman has has a rougher ride than sonic for shitty games.

#25 Edited by sts106mat (19425 posts) -

not really in my opinon, though he is probably my favourite. He is certainly iconic and seeing him in the trailer for Halo 5 I felt super excited about halo again. I also think 343 did a great job byactually giving him more character in halo 4.

#26 Posted by Draign (691 posts) -

Wow, no love for Q-bert?

#27 Edited by GrenadeLauncher (4612 posts) -

How is Master Chef a character? He's just another voiceless avatar the player can slip into while playing an FPS, like Gordon Freeman.

I'd say Big Boss is easily the best game character. Followed by Solid Snake.

This guy gets it.

#28 Posted by mems_1224 (46955 posts) -

Obviously.

#29 Edited by PonchoTaco (2044 posts) -

How is Master Chef a character? He's just another voiceless avatar the player can slip into while playing an FPS, like Gordon Freeman.

But he does have a voice...

#30 Posted by General_Solo76 (197 posts) -

Samus would mop the floor with that chumbalone!

#31 Posted by Chutebox (36989 posts) -

MC is terrible, what is this?

#32 Posted by Shewgenja (8776 posts) -

It took novels to give him a personality, so I will go with 'no'. Although, the games are great (at least up til 3 and Reach.. All downhill from there)

#33 Edited by Cloud_imperium (2940 posts) -

One of the greatest , yes . Greatest , No .

#34 Edited by B4X (4269 posts) -

When grown men do this...He's kinda popular, I would love to have a MC costume!! I would wear it everywhere!

#35 Posted by Draign (691 posts) -

@b4x said:

When grown men do this...He's kinda popular, I would love to have a MC costume!! I would wear it everywhere!

That guy wins.

#36 Posted by GreySeal9 (24189 posts) -

Fuck no.

#37 Posted by Lulu_Lulu (11534 posts) -

Many will exclaim that theres much better characters with more emotional depth and complex characteristics than Master Chief..... But why does that matter ?

Ultimately the game is played by you. All that fluff is just incentive to keep you playing !

There is no such thing as the best video game character. At most you have characters who just happen to be in a video game.

#38 Posted by B4X (4269 posts) -

@draign said:

@b4x said:

That guy wins.

I would wear it to the Grocery store. :p

#39 Posted by Zero_epyon (5216 posts) -

Plenty of characters better than Master Chief. Hell Kratos has more character, and he's a douche bag.

#40 Edited by PrincessGomez92 (3538 posts) -
#41 Edited by MonsieurX (29983 posts) -
#42 Posted by AmazonAngry (945 posts) -

If one of the most boring, uninspired, monotonous,drones is one of the best gaming characters....the industry deserves to tank.

#43 Posted by RR360DD (11775 posts) -

Yup. Nothing Sony has created is even in the same league.

Bless them, they did try with Sackboy ... LOL

#44 Edited by Gue1 (9763 posts) -

master chief is so great that their creators dumped him and never even gave him a decent closure to his story.

#45 Edited by Lulu_Lulu (11534 posts) -

@RR360DD

What ! Sackboy is Fantastic..... He's a boy... Made of Sack... How can you not love that ! :o

#46 Edited by handssss (1834 posts) -

@jsmoke03 said:

i never got why all the lems have a hard on for this guy....

he's a good character in the books, but nothing more than a meh character in the games, tho at least halo 4 made him a lot more real.

he's basically just iconic though and that's why people say things like this. it's the same thing as Gordon Freeman. we all know there's too many idiots who would call that empty shell that only has a name for narrative purposes and a face for box art purposes "the greatest character ever!"

#47 Posted by XOne_ShotX91 (151 posts) -

No, not hardly. He's rather bland and uninteresting in all honesty.

Keep in mind, I do LOVE Halo, and I think the games are fantastic (With the exception of Halo 3), MC is rather dull.

#48 Posted by misterpmedia (3380 posts) -
#49 Posted by StormyJoe (5115 posts) -
#50 Posted by GamingTitan (540 posts) -

If anything I would say cortana is the more interesting character.

My personal fav is Sam fisher. Ironside fisher that is.