Mass Effect RETURN OF THE MAKO!!

  • 99 results
  • 1
  • 2
#1 Edited by TheEroica (13727 posts) -

THE MAKO IS Mutha$*#&^@!! BACK!!!!

ThxBro @mems_1224

Didn't see a thread on this, but Im sure it's been talked about, being a bigger fan of Mass Effect then @AdobeArtist I couldnt resist an opportunity to get system wars take. :P A really cool look into the early build of the new Mass Effect for those willing to give 30 minutes of their life. I enjoyed it, anyway.

My only concern at this point from what was shown is playing as "Your Hero". I think Bioware should tell another space opera centering around different characters and different things. I don't care when in the timeline they do it... there are stories to be told ALL OVER the galaxy they built... surely any fan of the series can see that.

We need the glorious MAKO back, so it can allow us the same freedom (done better) from Mass Effect 1. That is exactly how you get the scope and possibility back into the franchise. I loved that the original trilogy became more focused to tell shepards tale, but it came at the expense of the expansiveness of the first game. To that respect, it lost a little of the wonderment for me.

I want to see

  • SEVERAL planets and ladscapes... all interactive and loaded with outposts and wildlife... Shit, we live in the day of something as ambitious as No Mans Sky, make it happen Bioware...
  • Also, several larger hub worlds that are more delicately crafted. Organic, living breathing worlds, cities and desolation...
  • I want the Mako to be organic with the environment almost like a character.

Is System Wars happy to have the MAKO back?

We did it buddy... we got you back in the game!!! all those letters we wrote to BioW.... uh sorry. I mean, Here's the first pic...

#2 Posted by freedomfreak (41041 posts) -

I always liked the Mako. I liked going to bland planets to drive around, and take down rogue AIs.

I was so bummed when they took that out.

#3 Posted by TheEroica (13727 posts) -

@freedomfreak said:

I always liked the Mako. I liked going to bland planets to drive around, and take down rogue AIs.

I was so bummed when they took that out.

Me TOO! It still stings me a bit... A friend of mine and I would try and flip the damn thing and never could... He claims he did once, but of course no one was around to witness.

#4 Posted by freedomfreak (41041 posts) -
@TheEroica said:

Me TOO! It still stings me a bit... A friend of mine and I would try and flip the damn thing and never could... He claims he did once, but of course no one was around to witness.

He's lying. One cannot simply flip the Mako.

I hated it even more because they replaced it with planet scanning. Eroica, I don't know about you, but I am not the biggest fan of planet scanning.

#5 Posted by JangoWuzHere (16606 posts) -

The Mako was a total piece of crap in Mass Effect 1.

Hopefully it won't suck this time around.

#6 Edited by Stringerboy (7095 posts) -

#7 Posted by silversix_ (14820 posts) -

Return of the Mako means planetary exploration is back. If that's the case im hyped as F for this game!

#8 Posted by jg4xchamp (48427 posts) -

By this point I assume they learned how to make a vehicle with good controls (the mako controlled like shit). But, even if the Mako did control well in ME1 it never would have changed the part that the things you did in the Mako were fucking dull. I want exotic planets, I want variety, I want some bustling space cities because there has to be something other than the Citadel. If the Mako comes back for another round of copy n paste planets then fuck that.

#9 Posted by JangoWuzHere (16606 posts) -

@jg4xchamp said:

By this point I assume they learned how to make a vehicle with good controls (the mako controlled like shit). But, even if the Mako did control well in ME1 it never would have changed the part that the things you did in the Mako were fucking dull. I want exotic planets, I want variety, I want some bustling space cities because there has to be something other than the Citadel. If the Mako comes back for another round of copy n paste planets then fuck that.

This

I don't understand people's love for the planetary exploration in Mass Effect 1. Those copy and pasted planets and interiors were worse then the repeated levels in Dragon Age 2.

#10 Posted by TheEroica (13727 posts) -

@freedomfreak said:

@TheEroica said:

Me TOO! It still stings me a bit... A friend of mine and I would try and flip the damn thing and never could... He claims he did once, but of course no one was around to witness.

He's lying. One cannot simply flip the Mako.

I hated it even more because they replaced it with planet scanning. Eroica, I don't know about you, but I am not the biggest fan of planet scanning.

Planet scanning was like a sick joke by Bioware... As if they were saying, "oh, ok you wanna complain about the mako? well now you get to do this for two games." It was literally, "Paint Dry", -the game

#11 Posted by Shewgenja (9640 posts) -

@TheEroica said:

@freedomfreak said:

@TheEroica said:

Me TOO! It still stings me a bit... A friend of mine and I would try and flip the damn thing and never could... He claims he did once, but of course no one was around to witness.

He's lying. One cannot simply flip the Mako.

I hated it even more because they replaced it with planet scanning. Eroica, I don't know about you, but I am not the biggest fan of planet scanning.

Planet scanning was like a sick joke by Bioware... As if they were saying, "oh, ok you wanna complain about the mako? well now you get to do this for two games." It was literally, "Paint Dry", -the game

That's how I felt about FFX when I played it. Usually, getting the airship in a Final Fantasy is this momentous rite of passage but they turned it into a complete shit fest since X.

#12 Posted by TheEroica (13727 posts) -

@JangoWuzHere said:

@jg4xchamp said:

By this point I assume they learned how to make a vehicle with good controls (the mako controlled like shit). But, even if the Mako did control well in ME1 it never would have changed the part that the things you did in the Mako were fucking dull. I want exotic planets, I want variety, I want some bustling space cities because there has to be something other than the Citadel. If the Mako comes back for another round of copy n paste planets then fuck that.

This

I don't understand people's love for the planetary exploration in Mass Effect 1. Those copy and pasted planets and interiors were worse then the repeated levels in Dragon Age 2.

Its not that theres love for the controls or god forbid you have to fight a thresher maw in that fu@kin thing, its that the Mako made the character a space traveler capable of searching his/her surrounding and though the flaws are acknowledged, it doesnt change the fact that the potential, when done right is most certainly there. I didnt want another shitty MAKO either... I want the evolution of the good idea.

#13 Edited by Krelian-co (11254 posts) -

I liked the Mako, what i didn't like was the planet layouts, i hope they make the maps better this time.

#14 Posted by Icarian (1504 posts) -

Yeah. That's the best thing in the next ME. Mako was so fun.

#15 Posted by TheEroica (13727 posts) -

@Shewgenja: yeah, ouch... cant eff up the Airship :( I still remember getting it in FFIV for the first time. "NO WAAAAY!!!" lol.

#16 Posted by padaporra (3430 posts) -

I was pleased to see we would have a vehicle in the next Mass Effect, hopefully this time around there the planet will have a good level design and the new Mako won't totally suck.

#17 Posted by Demonjoe93 (9631 posts) -

Let's hope it doesn't control like ass this time.

#18 Posted by Lulu_Lulu (13795 posts) -

The Mako was an excuse to pad the living crap out of Mass Effect. I get that people want "the immersion". But why are the standard's so low ?

You want the Mako back ? Yo got it.... But it won't a good Mako.

As for me... I just want some co-op.... And even better gameplay.

#19 Posted by SaltyMeatballs (25150 posts) -

As long as we aren't exploring just to kill things, more discoveries would be nice. Seems that the new Mako won't have any weapons. Game is loooong away which sucks, 2016 if we are lucky.

#20 Posted by The_Last_Ride (72504 posts) -

@TheEroica: keep your pants on dude :P

#21 Posted by TheEroica (13727 posts) -

@The_Last_Ride: they were never on to begin with :D

#22 Edited by Ballroompirate (23052 posts) -

My body is ready

#23 Posted by ghostwarrior786 (5087 posts) -

mako sucked ass but so did the whole mass effect gameplay. it is just so clunky, they really need to work to make movement more fluid.

#24 Posted by farrell2k (6393 posts) -

Exploring planets in the mako was awesome. Removing the mako made mass effect two suck balls.

#25 Edited by AdobeArtist (22954 posts) -

Let's be real here. The Mako in Mass Effect 1 handled like a Mac Truck with a busted steering wheel. And to have to maneuver that on planets with pyramid terrain was a pain in the ass. But if... IF they can redesign it with the responsive maneuverability as shown in the video... I might be on board with this. MAYBE. Also let's get more to the planets than just painted on texture swaps to the variable but same-ish geography.

Oh and loved that question about casual wear. On that I'd like to see this as an option for female character :)

#26 Posted by The_Last_Ride (72504 posts) -

@TheEroica said:

@The_Last_Ride: they were never on to begin with :D

:o Dude come on! :P

#27 Posted by getyeryayasout (7607 posts) -

This reminds me, I need to play ME3.

#28 Posted by Vatusus (4703 posts) -

The Mako was meh

#29 Posted by wolverine4262 (19398 posts) -

Until I see the game, I have little interest in ME4. Bioware practically ruined the universe for me.

#30 Posted by Lulu_Lulu (13795 posts) -

@AdobeArtist

Well that solves the execution problem that was in the 1st game..... But theres a basic Design issue... I fear the the Mako's return will be nothing more than the same problem with better controls, physics, and gameplay.

I want to see less "immersion" focused design, I want a more practical game. Something that doesn't require me to fill in the blanks to be fun cause thats pretty much what Mass Effet 1 was.

#31 Edited by uninspiredcup (9021 posts) -

It's that car from that part of the game I hated in that game series I never liked.

Emotions all over the place. Oh.

#32 Posted by AdobeArtist (22954 posts) -

@Lulu_Lulu said:

@AdobeArtist

Well that solves the execution problem that was in the 1st game..... But theres a basic Design issue... I fear the the Mako's return will be nothing more than the same problem with better controls, physics, and gameplay.

I want to see less "immersion" focused design, I want a more practical game. Something that doesn't require me to fill in the blanks to be fun cause thats pretty much what Mass Effet 1 was.

What do you mean by "fill in the blanks" ?

#33 Posted by Lulu_Lulu (13795 posts) -

@AdobeArtist

Mass Effect was a horrible game. To enjoy it, you had to really make alot of excuses for it. Mass Effect is kinda like a Slient Movie long after "talkies" have been invented, to enjoy it you kinda have to "Fill in the blanks" because theres clearly holes in every aspect of its design, everything from its combate to its dialogue. You know what I mean ?

#34 Edited by wolverine4262 (19398 posts) -

@Lulu_Lulu said:

Mass Effect was a horrible game.

#35 Posted by seanmcloughlin (38216 posts) -

The Mako wasn't perfect but at least it let me feel like I was actually exploring some damn planets rather than probing them from miles away. They just need to tighten up the controls and vary the locations a bit

#36 Posted by Lulu_Lulu (13795 posts) -

@wolverine4262

It was a good RPG.... You gotta atleat give'm credit for that.

#37 Posted by farrell2k (6393 posts) -

@Lulu_Lulu said:

@AdobeArtist

Mass Effect was a horrible game. To enjoy it, you had to really make alot of excuses for it. Mass Effect is kinda like a Slient Movie long after "talkies" have been invented, to enjoy it you kinda have to "Fill in the blanks" because theres clearly holes in every aspect of its design, everything from its combate to its dialogue. You know what I mean ?

Can't tell if you're being sarcastic or not. For 2007, Mass Effect was fantastic!

#38 Posted by Lulu_Lulu (13795 posts) -

@farrell2k

People often confuse things they like with things that are good.

If you're one one of those people then I strongly reccomend you stay far away from drugs and alcohol.

#39 Edited by AdobeArtist (22954 posts) -

@Lulu_Lulu said:

@AdobeArtist

Mass Effect was a horrible game. To enjoy it, you had to really make alot of excuses for it. Mass Effect is kinda like a Slient Movie long after "talkies" have been invented, to enjoy it you kinda have to "Fill in the blanks" because theres clearly holes in every aspect of its design, everything from its combate to its dialogue. You know what I mean ?

I will grant you, ME1 was plagued with technical issues, especially around frame rate and area loading. Combat was hampered by trying to mesh incompatible RPG mechanics with the gunplay; having a skill stats system yet relying on the players own aim. I don't think there was too much issue with its dialog, and c'mon, lots of memorable comedic moments came out of that game (big stupid jellyfish!!).

Where the ME games really shine is the universe, lore, settings, art direction, music, and cast of characters that stay with us long after we finish the game.

#40 Posted by farrell2k (6393 posts) -

@Lulu_Lulu said:

@farrell2k

People often confuse things they like with things that are good.

If you're one one of those people then I strongly reccomend you stay far away from drugs and alcohol.

hmmm. Mass effect has a metascore of 91 for the 360 and 89 for the PC at metacritic. It is clear that you are on drugs, so lest I want to run around like a crazy person claiming that games universally accepted as "great" are actually, "horrible", I will take your wise advice and stay away from the drugs. :)

#41 Posted by Lulu_Lulu (13795 posts) -

@AdobeArtist

and if Mass Effect was a theme park or a convention then that would be fantastic, but as a game, Nothing should compensate for bad gameplay. But in any medium, you should never use "compenation design", atleast not deliberately. I mean thats like game of throwns getting great reception based on things that have nothing to do with cinematogrophy and narrative.

As for the Dialogue system.... The problem there actually occurs in the sequels. In the 1st game the dialogue/choice system is no worse than any other RPG (and yeah I'm implying most RPGs have inferior dialogue/systems)

#42 Edited by Lulu_Lulu (13795 posts) -

@farrell2k

Lol. It damn sure didn't get those numbers from gameplay... That much I can assure you because unlike you I' think for myself instead of adopting the public oppinion, the same public oppinion that gave Bioshock Infinite and Skyrim a high Metacritic Score. Yes I am claiming its possible for the majority to be wrong and have poor taste infact in this medium poor taste is what sells and occasionally gets all the best critical receptions. You're welcome to treat Metacritic like the god you believe it to be, I'd never deny anybody to practice their faith, no matter how how inconsistant it is. FYI... That was sarcasm ! :p

#43 Posted by TheEroica (13727 posts) -

@Lulu_Lulu: I didn't look at it as padding so much as it was incomplete... I remember the doctors at bioware circa 2007 saying how their intentions were to add on to the world's via dlc which on consoles was in its infancy. I can be quoted as saying "independent bioware is the goat" but one thing they never did well until the EA acquisition was dlc.

#44 Posted by LegatoSkyheart (25637 posts) -

Eh...Mass Effect is done.

#45 Posted by harry_james_pot (10951 posts) -

More exploration, YES!!

Also, Mako > planet scanning.

#46 Edited by Lulu_Lulu (13795 posts) -

@TheEroica

Even then... What would we get to do on these worlds besides putting up with more hacking minigames, lackluster gameplay and exploitive looting and grinding ? i hear the word "Exploration" getting thrown around alot, The Idea sounds like fun but in practice its terrible, yes in everysingle game... Its terrible, or maybe I'm only saying that because real life exploration shits on all virtual exploration. Nothing beats going out like normal people... Thats the best exploration there is.

Am I literally the only one who finds the perpetual loot/grind machine tedious ?

They could add more people to talk to but that would only further shine a light on the game's dialogue issues.

Also DLC isn't actually new.... DLC are bascically mods and patches that cost money and thats not new at all.

#47 Posted by pelvist (4878 posts) -

@TheEroica: Thats the best dealwithit gif i have ever seen lol.

#48 Posted by coasterguy65 (6038 posts) -

I really have no interest in driving that balloon tire piece of crap up mountains, and over the same boring ass planets over and over. We'll see what they do with the new ME.

Planet scanning sucked, but at least you only had to do it until you upgraded everything then you could just ignore it.

#49 Posted by finalfantasy94 (26597 posts) -

The mako controlled like crap. It was like a boucny ball with wheels. I admit the thought of exploring new planets is cool but tinting different planets different colors does not make it new. Its right up there with DA2 cut and paste dungions.

#50 Posted by lamprey263 (24246 posts) -

It wasn't the Mako or the planet visits that bugged me about that aspect of ME1, it was the tedious nature of resource gathering. Some planets weren't so bad, they had rather flat open terrain, but some were mountainous with ridiculously steep cliffs and deviously jagged terrain, it made the planet zones a chore to explore. I didn't mind it so much my first playthrough of ME1 but it just felt like a chore on repeat playthroughs, now I don't bother playing it without a laptop by my side so I have a wikia ready to get a full map to cut the time of each visit down immensely. If they bring back the Mako for well crafted side missions I wouldn't mind, just steer clear of tedious cookie cutter planet visits.

Anyhow, I also hear the next game will be set in another galaxy... that's kind of big. I mean in the story the relays pretty much limited life in the galaxy to the confines of the galaxy. And, well, those of us that played the games remember what happened at the end of the trilogy. So I imagine intergalactic travel would be even more challenging... then again, I guess one could argue the Reapers leaving the relays to be found is part of their cyclical plan for life in the galaxy and it limiting civilizations technological progress that the Reapers intended for before their return, one could say that being freed from the shackles of that forerunner technology could allow the now marooned intragalactic civilizations to achieve that technical nohow on their own, and maybe utilizing it to reach even further distances.