Mass Effect 2 - Save or Destroy The ... [Spoiler Warning!]

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by phearless (80 posts) -

I am curious as to other gamers choice for the ending of Mass Effect 2 when given the chance to save the Collector Base or Destroy it. My choice was to save the base. Forget about the weary reputation of Cerebrus or the 'Illusive Man' the whole freakin Galaxy is facing extinction!! On that note I thought it is better to use all the advantages of info and technology that we can. We can debate 'right and wrong' after we get past the Total Annhiliation by Reaper part!! After all it was the tech that Garrus got from the last reaper ship 'Soverign' that provided the upgrade for the Normandy's cannons. Normandy destroyed the Collector Recon ship with TWO shots!

Well anyway that is my take I wasn't going for 'lets do the right thing and destoy the base' when the resulting end of that can be the death of everyone and everything. At least Cerebus gave a damn - so I gave them the base. What did you do?

*mod edit*

#2 Posted by SaudiFury (8707 posts) -

that spoiler is in the title i'd imagine.

I destroyed it, because if Cerberus members couldn't survive living in a near-dead Reaper, than i wouldn't imagine they'd make it in the Reaper vehicle.

Also....

nothing good could come out of keeping that base. especially in the hands of Cerberus.

#3 Posted by murat8 (10361 posts) -
i destroyed it
#4 Posted by SparkyProtocol (7680 posts) -
Change the title. :|
#5 Posted by siLVURcross (26106 posts) -
Nice spoiler warning with the spoiler IN the title. Anyways, destroyed.
#6 Posted by Vaasman (11852 posts) -

wow seriously? Worst spoiler warning ever!

I destroyed it, screw TIM I'm not handing him the galaxy on a silver platter.

Not until my renegade run at least :P.

#7 Posted by Kickinurass (3357 posts) -

Saved it. Illusive man rubs me the wrong way, but I figure I'll get some neat gear in ME3 for doing it.

#8 Posted by SaltyMeatballs (25159 posts) -
Destroyed it. I didn't trust the Illusive Man, and I thought it would be best to destroy it.
#10 Posted by TheShadowLord07 (22234 posts) -

haven/t play the game yet. But I'm going to destroy it. Theres chance it cause Indoctrination.

#11 Posted by phearless (80 posts) -

If the title is a spoiler then the media is full of them. I knew about the ending before I even picked up the game! Don't be infants!

#12 Posted by J-Stantino (229 posts) -
Oh and im on my third playthrough. Adept on Hardcore
#13 Posted by rolo107 (5470 posts) -

If the title is a spoiler then the media is full of them. I knew about the ending before I even picked up the game! Don't be infants!

phearless
Um... That's great that you knew, and yes the media is full of them. But most people avoided the media for that reason, and you come on and ruin it for people and act like you didn't do anything, It's rather rude.
#14 Posted by navyguy21 (13113 posts) -
I destroyed it. I even paused the game for like 5 mins while i thought about the possible ramifications of saving vs destroying it in ME3. I couldnt think of anything positive that could come from saving it, or any negative from destroying it................so i blew that sucker up!! :P
#15 Posted by Lionheart08 (15680 posts) -

I destroyed it. I even paused the game for like 5 mins while i thought about the possible ramifications of saving vs destroying it in ME3. I couldnt think of anything positive that could come from saving it, or any negative from destroying it................so i blew that sucker up!! :Pnavyguy21

The Illusive Man is a lying Snake for one. Dude really can't be trusted.

Nice job putting the spoiler in the title TC.

#16 Posted by SaltyMeatballs (25159 posts) -
I destroyed it. I even paused the game for like 5 mins while i thought about the possible ramifications of saving vs destroying it in ME3. I couldnt think of anything positive that could come from saving it, or any negative from destroying it................so i blew that sucker up!! :Pnavyguy21
I decided in 2 seconds to destroy it, then told the illusive man where to shove it.
#17 Posted by Kickinurass (3357 posts) -

I feel bad now... I thought more people would have saved the base :(

#19 Posted by SaltyMeatballs (25159 posts) -

I feel bad now... I thought more people would have saved the base :(

Kickinurass
Just to make you feel worse, when I talked to the squad after all that they all said they thought I made the right choice :P
#20 Posted by Dead-Memories (6586 posts) -

saved it in the hopes that it will cause galactic turmoil with humans becoming the most feared species in the galaxy.

#21 Posted by moistsandwich (25 posts) -

I destroyed it.... I do not trust the Illusive Man.

#22 Posted by Zassimick (7394 posts) -

Destroyed it.

Knowledge is power and it could have been very effective in the fight against the Reapers in the end, hell that choice could be the determining factor between whether existence survives or not, but it could also put Cerberus at the top of power in the end and I wasn't about to let that happen. The knowledge could also have such ramifications as to the races of the universe gaining too much knowledge too quickly, therefore using it for the wrong purposes, etc.

It makes sense in my head. :P

#23 Posted by naval (11109 posts) -
saved it --- as I thought saving it would open at-least one small story arc while destroying it will just destroy it and it will be the end
#24 Posted by kozzy1234 (35377 posts) -

I desrtoyed it.. The Mysterious Illusive man I just didnt trust :P

#25 Posted by rcignoni (8863 posts) -
I destroyed it because of [spoiler] what Cerberus did to Veetor [/spoiler]
#26 Posted by Silenthps (7284 posts) -
thats what multiple profiles are for ;)
#27 Posted by ronvalencia (15678 posts) -

I am curious as to other gamers choice for the ending of Mass Effect 2 when given the chance to save the Collector Base or Destroy it. My choice was to save the base. Forget about the weary reputation of Cerebrus or the 'Illusive Man' the whole freakin Galaxy is facing extinction!! On that note I thought it is better to use all the advantages of info and technology that we can. We can debate 'right and wrong' after we get past the Total Annhiliation by Reaper part!! After all it was the tech that Garrus got from the last reaper ship 'Soverign' that provided the upgrade for the Normandy's cannons. Normandy destroyed the Collector Recon ship with TWO shots!

Well anyway that is my take I wasn't going for 'lets do the right thing and destoy the base' when the resulting end of that can be the death of everyone and everything. At least Cerebus gave a damn - so I gave them the base. What did you do?

*mod edit*

phearless

I save the Collector's base. Cerberus already has Collector's bio-armour, SR2's EDI already has Sovereign's processors, SR2 has Sovereign's weapon tech (from upgrade). What's missing? Sovereign's shields,hull/armour, reator/power systemsand FTL (transgalactic drive).

#28 Posted by Chiddaling (9106 posts) -
I saved it. Who knows? Maybe I will get something new in ME3. But I'm doing a 2nd playthrough on Insanity and I'm pretty far so I'll be sure to destroy it this time. :P
#29 Posted by salxis (4280 posts) -

There's no point saving it, if you listen to what Mordin said throughout the game about Krogan extinction because they used technologies that's beyond their understanding.So human are doomed to repeat it, and by using Reaper technologies, we are evolving in a way that's predictable by the enemies (i.e. how the Reapers destroyed all the civilizations before us)

Also, notice how the Reapers use hit & run tactics throughout the game ( Protheans might have a chance if they didn't build around the citadel mass relay) , how they needed the Geth flee to do their works. They are all proves that Reapers do NOT want the galaxy to form up and fight against them, they are NOT as strong as they claimed, they are just really sneaky.

So even though I played as a full Renegade throughout the game, (minus some dumb choices like Morinth vs Samara) I chose to destroy the base. What's the point of fighting off a group of enemies, to give chances for another one to rise? Illusive man proved time and time again, the end justify his means, and his end = human domination.

#30 Posted by Senor_Kami (8447 posts) -

Saving it was the only choice that made sense to me. The technology gained could benefit the entire galaxy and be a major asset to humanity. It's reaper tech, but who cares? The reapers destroyed the intergalatic government using the Mass Relays but nobody rushed out and blew up all of those.

Even if Cereberus uses it for bad... who cares? Every alien race turned their back on humans in ME1 and the Alliance turned their back on Shepard in ME2. They deserve a hardcore screwing imo and whatever happens to them is 100% karma for being jackasses.

There's no point saving it, if you listen to what Mordin saidsalxis
Moridin also thinks the attempted genocide by killing 999 out of every 1000 babies is the ultimate solution to the galaxy's problems. You're going to let someone like that decide the fate of the galaxy?

#31 Posted by ronvalencia (15678 posts) -

There's no point saving it, if you listen to what Mordin said throughout the game about Krogan extinction because they used technologies that's beyond their understanding.So human are doomed to repeat it, and by using Reaper technologies, we are evolving in a way that's predictable by the enemies (i.e. how the Reapers destroyed all the civilizations before us)

Also, notice how the Reapers use hit & run tactics throughout the game ( Protheans might have a chance if they didn't build around the citadel mass relay) , how they needed the Geth flee to do their works. They are all proves that Reapers do NOT want the galaxy to form up and fight against them, they are NOT as strong as they claimed, they are just really sneaky.

So even though I played as a full Renegade throughout the game, (minus some dumb choices like Morinth vs Samara) I chose to destroy the base. What's the point of fighting off a group of enemies, to give chances for another one to rise? Illusive man proved time and time again, the end justify his means, and his end = human domination.

salxis

SR2's Sovereign weapons killed the Collector's starship... The Collectors is what's left of Protheans. The Collectors/Protheans needs real firepower.

#32 Posted by SpinoRaptor24 (10069 posts) -

I saved it.

I came close to blowing it up, but the Illusive man kept telling me I was making a big mistake, so I saved it.

#33 Posted by SaltyMeatballs (25159 posts) -

I saved it.

I came close to blowing it up, but the Illusive man kept telling me I was making a big mistake, so I saved it.

SpinoRaptor24
Lol, he would say that wouldn't he :P
#34 Posted by Phoenix534 (17774 posts) -

I destroyed it. I don't trust the ship, I don't trust theIllusive Man, and I don't trust Cerberus. If that means I have to fight extra to kill of the Reaper army heading towards the Milky Way, so be it.

#35 Posted by Phoenix534 (17774 posts) -

I saved it.

SpinoRaptor24

lol. That's one of the main reason I destroyed it.

#36 Posted by Phoenix534 (17774 posts) -

Saving it was the only choice that made sense to me. The technology gained could benefit the entire galaxy and be a major asset to humanity. It's reaper tech, but who cares? The reapers destroyed the intergalatic government using the Mass Relays but nobody rushed out and blew up all of those.

Even if Cereberus uses it for bad... who cares? Every alien race turned their back on humans in ME1 and the Alliance turned their back on Shepard in ME2. They deserve a hardcore screwing imo and whatever happens to them is 100% karma for being jackasses.

[QUOTE="salxis"]There's no point saving it, if you listen to what Mordin saidSenor_Kami

Moridin also thinks the attempted genocide by killing 999 out of every 1000 babies is the ultimate solution to the galaxy's problems. You're going to let someone like that decide the fate of the galaxy?

It was either spread the Genophage or risk a Krogan uprising. I'm not saying mass genocide is right, but they did what they had to do.

#37 Posted by SaudiFury (8707 posts) -

I saved it.

SpinoRaptor24

looks like your a victim of the Milgram Experiment

Listening to the reassuring boss man.... even if he may be not trust worthy..

#38 Posted by SpinoRaptor24 (10069 posts) -

^^Yeah I kinda regret it now.

It didn't even seem that bad until nearly all my squadmates told me it that I shouldn't have given it to him.

D:

#39 Posted by Phoenix534 (17774 posts) -

I destroyed it because of [spoiler] what Cerberus did to Veetor [/spoiler] rcignoni

What did Cerberus do to Veetor? I let him go back to the Migrant Fleet on my playthrough.

#40 Posted by salxis (4280 posts) -

[QUOTE="salxis"]There's no point saving it, if you listen to what Mordin saidSenor_Kami

Krogan are blood thirsty by nature (as in Grunt's case), if we don't control their population, they will destroy everything. Another example is the "scientist" on Krogan planet, they would rather destroy than preserve as shown many time by Krogan history. Mordin's right about controlling it, they are controlling the fertility rate, you can't murder something that hasn't been born yet (i.e. it's not even in Larval stage). The genophage allowed other species to have a chance to evolve, including the Krogans, he could've easily made Krogan extinct like Rachni (which he said he regrets a lot), instead the Salarians allowed everyone to live.

@ ronvalencia I am sure their beam weapon would've damaged SR2 if it actually hit (try not upgrading your weapon, you will see their weapon actually destroys the old weapons), so rather than fire power, they need armor :P, also it's been 50,000 years between Soverign's weapon and Prothean's destruction, I am sure Soverign got some decent upgrade as well (Hell, you could even say they made this weapon from Prothean tech they stole 50,000 years ago). I don't think Reapers are as powerful as they claimed, the battle at Citidal, 2400 human died fighting both the geth flee and Soverign, granted Soverign was hacking the Mass Relay + Controlling Saren at that time.

#41 Posted by salxis (4280 posts) -

What did Cerberus do to Veetor? I let him go back to the Migrant Fleet on my playthrough.

Phoenix534

They tortured him for information, drove him to the edge of insanity :P, apprently they inject him for every "wrong" answer he gave, and interrupts his air supply

#42 Posted by Phoenix534 (17774 posts) -

[QUOTE="Phoenix534"]

salxis

They tortured him for information, drove him to the edge of insanity :P, apprently they inject him for every "wrong" answer he gave, and interrupts his air supply

Those bastards! Now I know I made the right choice. This is why I don't trust Cerberus.

#43 Posted by Squall18 (3755 posts) -

I totally destroyed it despite the illussive man not caring much for me at the end. It sets up for 3 soo perfectly

#44 Posted by Phoenix534 (17774 posts) -

I totally destroyed it despite the illussive man not caring much for me at the end. It sets up for 3 soo perfectly

Squall18

The Prothean ship destroyed, the Reaper fleet awakened from hiberation, Shepard possibly dead(depending on which ending you got. My Shepard's alive) Mass Effect 3 can't come soon enough.

#45 Posted by salxis (4280 posts) -

[QUOTE="Squall18"]

Phoenix534

The Prothean ship destroyed, the Reaper fleet awakened from hiberation, Shepard possibly dead(depending on which ending you got. My Shepard's alive) Mass Effect 3 can't come soon enough.

If you died in the suicide mission, which I did it on purpose for my 4th play through (dragged everyone down with me as well :evil:) you get an epilogue ending, concluding the story of Shephard! Congratulation! you don't' need to buy ME3 :D

#46 Posted by Phoenix534 (17774 posts) -

[QUOTE="Phoenix534"]

[QUOTE="Squall18"]

salxis

If you died in the suicide mission, which I did it on purpose for my 4th play through (dragged everyone down with me as well :evil:) you get an epilogue ending, concluding the story of Shephard! Congratulation! you don't' need to buy ME3 :D

lol. I wonder what ME3 will be like for those people? Also, the only people to die during the Suicide Mission for me were Mordin and Kelly. They will be missed. I almost cried when I saw Mordin lying on the ground after being shot down.

#47 Posted by skrat_01 (33767 posts) -

Destroy.

Never comrpomise.

Advice Rorschach - never compromise even in the face of armaggedon

No one died for me, blew it up happy ending, told the illusive man to pipe down.

To be honest I was expecting people to die (especially after killing that 'boss') so I was careful with my choices.

Happy with the outcome, though I would hav eliked to be challenged a bit more.

#48 Posted by ronvalencia (15678 posts) -
[QUOTE="Phoenix534"]

[QUOTE="salxis"]

[QUOTE="Phoenix534"]

lol. I wonder what ME3 will be like for those people? Also, the only people to die during the Suicide Mission for me were Mordin and Kelly. They will be missed. I almost cried when I saw Mordin lying on the ground after being shot down.

All my "hero" crew members are alive.
#49 Posted by ronvalencia (15678 posts) -
[QUOTE="salxis"]

[QUOTE="Senor_Kami"]

There's no point saving it, if you listen to what Mordin saidsalxis

Krogan are blood thirsty by nature (as in Grunt's case), if we don't control their population, they will destroy everything. Another example is the "scientist" on Krogan planet, they would rather destroy than preserve as shown many time by Krogan history. Mordin's right about controlling it, they are controlling the fertility rate, you can't murder something that hasn't been born yet (i.e. it's not even in Larval stage). The genophage allowed other species to have a chance to evolve, including the Krogans, he could've easily made Krogan extinct like Rachni (which he said he regrets a lot), instead the Salarians allowed everyone to live.

@ ronvalencia I am sure their beam weapon would've damaged SR2 if it actually hit (try not upgrading your weapon, you will see their weapon actually destroys the old weapons), so rather than fire power, they need armor :P, also it's been 50,000 years between Soverign's weapon and Prothean's destruction, I am sure Soverign got some decent upgrade as well (Hell, you could even say they made this weapon from Prothean tech they stole 50,000 years ago). I don't think Reapers are as powerful as they claimed, the battle at Citidal, 2400 human died fighting both the geth flee and Soverign, granted Soverign was hacking the Mass Relay + Controlling Saren at that time.

Firing into enemy' ship's gun barrel as it charges up is a good move.
#50 Posted by salxis (4280 posts) -
[QUOTE="ronvalencia"] Firing into enemy' ship's gun barrel as it charges up is a good move.

So the Thanix cannon upgrade really is an upgrade for Joker's brain :P