Marty O'Donnell fired from bungie

• 106 results
#1 Edited by WilliamRLBaker (28422 posts) -

No one knows what has happened but a single tweet has been posted.

https://twitter.com/MartyTheElder/status/456303189998841856

Marty O'Donnell @MartyTheElder

I'm saddened to say that Bungie's board of directors terminated me without cause on April 11, 2014.

As of right now nothing is known of the circumstances of the firing, and Mr. Donnell hasn't tweeted since.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/04/16/halo-composer-terminated-awithout-causea-from-bungie

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Martin_O'Donnell

grabbed image from ghost warrior.

#2 Edited by jg4xchamp (48403 posts) -

Considering his work didn't suck the only response is two different things

A: He did something really shady

B: Bungie are idiots.

Normally I'd say the answer is A, but this is Bungie, so B is actually highly likely. In fact it wouldn't be the underdog, it would be the favorite.

#3 Posted by lostrib (37791 posts) -

Obviously this means that Destiny will suck

#4 Posted by killatwill15 (845 posts) -

I hate how his twitter says "without cause"

maybe his music sucks?

or he got sidelined in favour of paul McCartney?

maybe he was defiant?

or he wasn't meeting deadlines due to not being in the studio enough?

or his music just wasn't fitting the mold of the game, it happens a lot in production.

#5 Edited by WilliamRLBaker (28422 posts) -

@killatwill15 said:

maybe his music sucks?

maybe he was defiant?

or his music just wasn't fitting the mold of the game, it happens a lot in production.

Bungie can do no wrong, I have no information on the firing at all from Bungie but I do from Marty and he says it was without cause so I'll just saying he did all this stuff wrong and deserved to be fired.

His music sucks? lol he and halo have won awards for the music.

#6 Posted by KittenNose (531 posts) -

I would say there are two important facts here:

1) Bungie's main claim to fame is tailoring FPSes for the bro crowd. That is after all why the tea-bag became the official victory dance of bros everywhere with Halo at the helm.

2) Bros don't really need a well orchestrated score to simulate the act of homoerotic violation of corpses. Unce Unce Unce will do just fine.

Seems to me someone just woke up and put one and two together. Seems to me a sweeping score would just make bros feel uncomfortable when they are pretending to rub their groins against the gore and blood filled mess of what used to be a dude's face. They wouldn't want the experience to suddenly become 'gay' now would they?

#7 Posted by killatwill15 (845 posts) -

@WilliamRLBaker said:

@killatwill15 said:

maybe his music sucks?

maybe he was defiant?

Bungie can do no wrong, I have no information on the firing at all from Bungie but I do from Marty and he says it was without cause so I'll just saying he did all this stuff wrong and deserved to be fired.

His music sucks? lol he and halo have won awards for the music.

you see martin sheen, I didn't say his music sucked,

I said maybe,

it happens a lot,

because it is hard for artists to determine if their work is good or not,

100% fact brah, they cater to their own tastes and people respond favorably.

that is why criticism is so hard to take,

maybe that's why he said "without cause" because he couldn't see past his own clout,

his firing is them basically saying his music wasn't right for destiny.

#8 Edited by Salt_The_Fries (9051 posts) -

It wouldn't surprise me if Bungie ended up just like Bizarre Creations after parting ways with MS and teaming up with Activision. Or at best like Bioware, a pawn within the grasp of capitalistic EA paws.

#9 Posted by Salt_The_Fries (9051 posts) -

My guess is he might have breached NDA somehow, innocuously maybe? "his music sucks"? Please, there's arguably nothing more iconic than Halo music as far as contemporary video games are concerned.

#10 Posted by TheShensolidus (224 posts) -

Could be any number of reasons, and I wouldn't look too much into it. It's a firing, happens all the time. If he was fired, then there is zero chance it was 'for no reason'. He isn't exactly someone you let go in a round of layoffs, which isn't this at all.

Something happened that deemed one of the most lauded composers of our industry to be deemed fire-able. Many of you guys might wanna chalk it up to Bungie mishaps or they didn't like what he was producing, when maybe it could just be an issue of personal conduct or an HR violation. Either way, we'll most likely never know definitely, but you can bet your ass firing a high profile employee is never 'for no reason'.

#11 Posted by lglz1337 (3855 posts) -

noooooo this only happens @ sony

#12 Posted by killatwill15 (845 posts) -

@Salt_The_Fries said:

My guess is he might have breached NDA somehow, innocuously maybe? "his music sucks"? Please, there's arguably nothing more iconic than Halo music as far as contemporary video games are concerned.

you guys don't get it,

the black album sucked despite metallica rocking 4 albums straight,

808s and heart breaks sucks despite Kanye wests graduation being one of the best albums ever made.

just because an artist had a stellar past,

does not bar them from sniffing their own farts once in a while,

and shitting on the next record.

it happens.

#13 Edited by Spartan070 (16361 posts) -

Can't wait to hear the reasons behind this...

Bungie and Marty have done great things together, he'll be missed.

#14 Posted by m_machine024 (15020 posts) -

I think even Halo haters can agree that Halo games soundtrack is great.

Wonder what happened. He can find work anywhere with his background tho.

#15 Posted by Spartan070 (16361 posts) -

343industries should be offering him a contract RIGHT NOW.

#16 Posted by Salt_The_Fries (9051 posts) -
@Spartan070 said:

And they will.

#17 Edited by TheShensolidus (224 posts) -

@Spartan070: Maybe, maybe not. High-level employee contracts usually involve things like 'no-compete' clauses, so take that as you will. It's happened in this industry before.

Not to mention, there very well could be a person story just simmering under the surface regarding this. His anti-abortion stance on twitter certainly garnered him no friends.

#18 Posted by remiks00 (1913 posts) -

@Spartan070 said:

lol, I wouldn't be surprised actually

#19 Posted by GrenadeLauncher (5155 posts) -

Wow, wonder what he did to justify that happening. Destiny's out in five months so I imagine the bulk of his work is done.

Also lmao lemmings begging 343 to hire him. Then again nothing's surprising after the fuckers begged Phil Sphincter to buy Capcom. That game drought hitting home?

#20 Posted by WilliamRLBaker (28422 posts) -

@killatwill15 said:

@Salt_The_Fries said:

you guys don't get it,

808s and heart breaks sucks despite Kanye wests graduation being one of the best albums ever made.

just because an artist had a stellar past,

does not bar them from sniffing their own farts once in a while,

and shitting on the next record.

it happens.

lol the black album sucked? loololololololololollolololollolollolollllloooollllolollollloll

#21 Posted by HaloinventedFPS (4731 posts) -

He will be replaced by Skrillex

Wonder who will hire him, maybe Blizzard, Blizzard love their orchestrated music & will pay whatever Marty wants

#22 Posted by getyeryayasout (7604 posts) -

Board of directors said they parted on friendly terms, he says he was fired without cause, which sounds less than friendly. Probably it's dollars and cents, and his name probably draws a higher premium than any number of composers they could hire for less. Or he wouldn't put out.

#23 Posted by HalcyonScarlet (4520 posts) -

@lglz1337 said:

I know right. Instead of trying to emulate Sony, Bungie should be trying to make a good game for the first time since Halo 3.

#24 Edited by edwardecl (2239 posts) -

Guess they found someone cheaper to do the job.

#25 Posted by Spartan070 (16361 posts) -

@WilliamRLBaker said:

@killatwill15 said:

lol the black album sucked? loololololololololollolololollolollolollllloooollllolollollloll

Agree with Baker here but the first 4 are still better.

1. ...And Justice for All

2a. Master of Puppets

2b. Ride the Lightning

4. Kill em' All

5. the black album

#26 Posted by HalcyonScarlet (4520 posts) -
@GrenadeLauncher said:

Wow, wonder what he did to justify that happening. Destiny's out in five months so I imagine the bulk of his work is done.

Also lmao lemmings begging 343 to hire him. Then again nothing's surprising after the fuckers begged Phil Sphincter to buy Capcom. That game drought hitting home?

I think you're confused. Sony made the PS4, the console with one game to play. MS made the X1, the Console with more than one game to play.

#27 Posted by Spartan070 (16361 posts) -

@HalcyonScarlet said:

@lglz1337 said:

I know right. Instead of trying to emulate Sony, Bungie should be trying to make a good game for the first time since Halo 3.

They've only made 2 games since then and Halo Wars and ODST were both respectable.

#28 Posted by HalcyonScarlet (4520 posts) -
@Spartan070 said:

@HalcyonScarlet said:

@lglz1337 said:

They've only made 2 games since then and Halo Wars and ODST were both respectable.

They made Reach and ODST. Reach was okay, but no where near as good. No where near as fun, even at being a co-op and the game is designed as a co-op game first. Just feels like you're moving from one area to the next. Halo 3 co-op was epic.

ODST was horrible, it's the same gameplay of Halo 3 without the rechargeable shield, which is just lazy. The shied is a core mechanic the gameplay revolves around. If they were to take that away, what they should have done was made adjustments to the gameplay and rebuilt the game around this change,

Halo Wars was made by Ensemble Studios.
Now considering ODST was a expansion arguably without much effort, the only real effort they've done is Reach since 2007. It's been a long time since Bungie made a good game.
#29 Posted by nutcrackr (12646 posts) -

Hey guys, I have more details about why he was fired. Read below for the real transcript of events leading to his demise.

Bungie: This music sounds like Halo, can you make it a little more distinct to the worlds we are trying to create?

Marty: What? Nah. Halo is sweet as duders, listen to that choir and backing Cellos

Bungie: Marty, we don't want it to sound like Halo, we want it to sound like Destiny

Marty: Halo is our Destiny, *rocks out to Halo theme*

Bungie: You're Fired.

#30 Posted by HalcyonScarlet (4520 posts) -
@nutcrackr said:

Hey guys, I have more details about why he was fired. Read below for the real transcript of events leading to his demise.

Bungie: This music sounds like Halo, can you make it a little more distinct to the worlds we are trying to create?

Marty: What? Nah. Halo is sweet as duders, listen to that choir and backing Cellos

Bungie: Marty, we don't want it to sound like Halo, we want it to sound like Destiny

5 bucks says that pos Destiny has Halo like gameplay.

#31 Posted by ghostwarrior786 (5072 posts) -

holy sh%t, i was liking destiny music but it did sound a lot like halo. maybe they are really trying to differentiate themselves from halo or the vast majority of his work is done now anyway and they are looking to go different direction in the next game. he wont have a hard time finding a new job, if 343 have any sense they would get him, halo 4 music sucked @ss

#32 Edited by ghostwarrior786 (5072 posts) -

@HalcyonScarlet said:
@nutcrackr said:

whats wrong with having halo gameplay? the gameplay is good enough, just the story telling and everything else has been garbage since halo 3. the series is done, destiny will be an evolution of the gameplay which is just what i wanted

#34 Edited by ghostwarrior786 (5072 posts) -

#35 Edited by HalcyonScarlet (4520 posts) -
@ghostwarrior786 said:

@HalcyonScarlet said:
@nutcrackr said:

whats wrong with having halo gameplay? the gameplay is good enough, just the story telling and everything else has been garbage since halo 3. the series is done, destiny will be an evolution of the gameplay which is just what i wanted

I was referring to his point/joke that they didn't want the music to sound like Halo. When I know it's going to play like Halo.

An evolution, my ass. I don't know why people suddenly grant Bungie all this praise just because they went multiplat, when before that everyone was like 'fuck Bungie, Halo is shit'. Now it's 'Bungie, yeahhhh, Destiny's so awesome'.

I think Bungie has so much to prove. They peaked with Halo 3 and since then some of the team have left.

#36 Posted by SolidGame_basic (17973 posts) -

What about Marty McFly?

#37 Posted by ghostwarrior786 (5072 posts) -

@HalcyonScarlet said:
@ghostwarrior786 said:

@HalcyonScarlet said:
@nutcrackr said:

I was referring to his point/joke that they didn't want the music to sound like Halo. When I know it's going to play like Halo.

An evolution, my ass. I don't know why people suddenly grant Bungie all this praise just because they went multiplat, when before that everyone was like 'fuck Bungie, Halo is shit'. Now it's 'Bungie, yeahhhh, Destiny's so awesome'.

I think Bungie has so much to prove. They peaked with Halo 3 and since then some of the team have left.

its not just because they went multiplat its because they are working on new ip, halo has been sh^t since halo 3. they should have stopped right there and handed off halo to a different studio and start working on new ip but obviously m$ would never allow that because they like milking, only nintendo matches them in that respect. destiny has double jump, dash etc. it seems to look like an evolution of halo formula, i am excited couldnt give a sh$t about halo that franchise is done

#38 Edited by FoxbatAlpha (7428 posts) -

He probably was adding more elements from Halo to Destiny.

#39 Posted by WilliamRLBaker (28422 posts) -

@nutcrackr said:

and yet destiny looks like halo, looks to play like halo, and looks to have pretty much the same story as halo....

#40 Posted by HalcyonScarlet (4520 posts) -
@ghostwarrior786 said:

@HalcyonScarlet said:
@ghostwarrior786 said:

@HalcyonScarlet said:
@nutcrackr said:

its not just because they went multiplat its because they are working on new ip, halo has been sh^t since halo 3. they should have stopped right there and handed off halo to a different studio and start working on new ip but obviously m$ would never allow that because they like milking, only nintendo matches them in that respect. destiny has double jump, dash etc. it seems to look like an evolution of halo formula, i am excited couldnt give a sh$t about halo that franchise is done

Same shitty dev with a new ip. Whatever, we'll see how it turns out. As I said, since this is the first time they've done something new, they have a lot to prove. But the decline in Halo quality speaks volumes to me about them, until they prove otherwise.

#42 Edited by HalcyonScarlet (4520 posts) -
@WilliamRLBaker said:

@nutcrackr said:

and yet destiny looks like halo, looks to play like halo, and looks to have pretty much the same story as halo....

This.

#43 Edited by uninspiredcup (9013 posts) -

Having made Halo this fellow will have no problem getting a job a Mcdonalds.

#44 Posted by Old_Gooseberry (3753 posts) -

Halo music was great, maybe he can work on the new Halo games now. Seems weird they'd fire him since he was the one that made Halo sound so great... probably some jealous employee is behind this

#45 Posted by Heirren (17381 posts) -

Neil Davidge replaced him. I was skeptical when I heard Martin was not doing the music for Halo 4, but I'll be the first to say that Neil Davidge and Co developed a brilliant soundtrack. Imo Martins work in the Halo universe went downhill after Halo2.

#46 Posted by ghostwarrior786 (5072 posts) -

@uninspiredcup said:

as a master chef

#47 Edited by uninspiredcup (9013 posts) -

@ghostwarrior786 said:

@uninspiredcup said:

as a master chef

#48 Posted by Stevo_the_gamer (42983 posts) -

Woah, that is shocking news. I wish we had more details. He is incredibly talented, so it stinks to see this come to pass.

#49 Edited by musicalmac (23036 posts) -

That's misleading information. There's always cause -- but whether or not it's a good cause, we can't say. Nobody gets fired for no reason.

#50 Posted by Heil68 (45245 posts) -

Well according to @shawn30, I guess we can all forget about Destiny now, Real shame, I wanted to play that game. :(