Mario Kart 8 Might Be Getting New DLC Courses

• 72 results
#1 Edited by charizard1605 (58247 posts) -

You see that up there? That up there are icons for four additional cups found within the code for Mario Kart 8. Four icons and cups that simply don't exist in Mario Kart 8 currently. A very helpful hint as to what they might be comes from the file names for these, which is “ym_CupIconDLC_00_130x130^h.bflim”.

You know what this means? There will be at least four new DLC cups that Nintendo will release for Mario Kart 8. We already know this isn't a big deal- they are releasing the first bit of DLC for the game on August 28 (along with a major patch for the game as well), and they have discussed, multiple times in the past, continued support for the game via DLC. Adding new tracks to the game would be a great idea.

Would these cups have all new tracks? Retro remastered tracks? A mixture of both? Who knows? We are, however, looking at 16 more tracks being added, for a grand total of 48 tracks in the game. Pretty damn exciting.

Personally, I'd pay about $5-$8 for a single cup, or $16-$20 for all four of them, if they were released at once. But make no mistake, I would buy them for sure.

What about you, System Wars? Would you get these? What price would be okay for you? What are your hopes from them? And when do you think will Nintendo announce them?

SOURCE

#2 Posted by nintendoboy16 (26904 posts) -

If true then... oh shit!

#3 Posted by yokofox33 (29908 posts) -

I'd prefer better characters...

#4 Edited by FreedomFreeLife (2522 posts) -

I want tropical maps!!!(MORE!!!)

#5 Edited by starwolf474 (697 posts) -

I'd probably buy them, but what Mario Kart 8 really needs even more than new racing tracks is DLC of some real battle arenas. They already have enough good racing tracks, but all of the battle courses are terrible.

The terrible battle mode is Mario Kart 8's biggest flaw and fixing that should be Nintendo's first priority with DLC. I would be willing to pay a lot of money for some good battle arenas.

#6 Posted by charizard1605 (58247 posts) -

@starwolf474 said:

I'd probably buy them, but what Mario Kart 8 really needs even more than new racing tracks is DLC of some real battle arenas. They already have enough good racing tracks, but all of the battle courses are terrible. The terrible battle mode is Mario Kart 8's biggest flaw and fixing that should be Nintendo's first priority with DLC.

Hey, maybe these are battle arena tracks for all we know, you know?

#7 Posted by AutoPilotOn (8524 posts) -

They need to make it easier to chat.

#8 Edited by dotWithShoes (4859 posts) -

lots of games have left overs from stuff that wasn't included in the game. doesn't mean its DLC. I don't doubt that MK8 will get DLC however.

#9 Posted by freedomfreak (40971 posts) -

I'd prefer actual battle maps.

#10 Posted by Sphensen (769 posts) -

given how Mario Kart is one of NIntendo's heavy hitters, it would be wise to keep this game thriving as long as possible by adding to it to help in courage hardware sales. I also hope for better battle arenas, *MK64 maps cough cough*

#11 Posted by YearoftheSnake5 (7493 posts) -

I'd gladly throw money at a battle arena pack.

#12 Posted by osan0 (12748 posts) -

a great idea for DLC. TCs pricing is also what i would also pay roughly. MK8 is ripe for expansion. new and remade tracks, new modes and so on.

fingers crossed they deliver. MK8 with every single track in the history of mario kart + an equal number of new tracks.....that would be pretty sweet.

#13 Posted by madsnakehhh (14491 posts) -

I'm totally ok with this.

#14 Posted by Bigboi500 (30062 posts) -

Gimmi nao!

#15 Posted by bbkkristian (14957 posts) -

Let's hope... I could use some new tracks for the game. Especially some more tracks from Wii plz.

#16 Posted by Lucianu (9448 posts) -

That would be a great idea, a bundle of downloadable tracks for 5-10$ from time to time is really welcomed to prolong the life span of MK8 and keep the players excited.

#17 Edited by Seabas989 (10402 posts) -

Cool. I also hope they will improve the battle mode.

#18 Posted by sirk1264 (5565 posts) -

Awesome if true. Would love more tracks and more characters to be added in the game.

#19 Edited by wolverine4262 (19391 posts) -

Woooh! DLC and you cant even chat in race! Ninty giving gamers what they want and nothing else!

#20 Posted by tacoma1972 (181 posts) -

About fucking time. I would totally buy these. That being said, NO-ONE should be praising Nintendo for this. They are so far behind in the concept of DLC it is disgusting. I am personally glad they have had their asses handed to them so far this generation and I hope it continues. That way they might actually change. I dont regret my Wii-U but hell will freeze over before I EVER risk being a early adopter of their products in the future.

#21 Edited by Shinobishyguy (22488 posts) -

@tacoma1972: lol they've been doing dlc for a while now

#22 Posted by foxhound_fox (88743 posts) -

I still need a Wii U and this game (along with several others of course).

#23 Posted by tacoma1972 (181 posts) -

@Shinobishyguy:

No shit. Not much though and not quality either. It has been at a level more to TEST the Nintendo fan base to see what they will buy. Dont kid yourself or these boards. Show me comparison downloads provided by Nintendo equal to what is being proposed with Mario Kart 8.

LOL back at you.

#24 Posted by madsnakehhh (14491 posts) -

@tacoma1972 said:

@Shinobishyguy:

No shit. Not much though and not quality either. It has been at a level more to TEST the Nintendo fan base to see what they will buy. Dont kid yourself or these boards. Show me comparison downloads provided by Nintendo equal to what is being proposed with Mario Kart 8.

LOL back at you.

Mmmm...New Super Mario Bros WiiU ??? sure, Nintendo is not known for their DLC content, but when they do, they do it damn right.

#25 Posted by tacoma1972 (181 posts) -

@madsnakehhh:

K. There is 1. This just proves my point.

#26 Posted by charizard1605 (58247 posts) -

@tacoma1972 said:

@Shinobishyguy:

LOL back at you.

Ehhh, when Nintendo does DLC, it does it right. Look at New Super Luigi U. I would take that over three shitty maps in a $15 Map Pack any day.

#27 Posted by tacoma1972 (181 posts) -

Once again. One. You guys are bringing up ONE DLC. I will download this for Mario Kart 8 but dont praise Nintendo fro FINALLY starting to do what they should have been doing for a LONG time.

#28 Edited by Aquat1cF1sh (10903 posts) -

Hmm, four new cups would also conveniently fit in on the cup selection screen...

#29 Posted by madsnakehhh (14491 posts) -

@tacoma1972 said:

@madsnakehhh:

K. There is 1. This just proves my point.

Actually, no, or not entirely...i'm all over good DLC, but honestly, most of the DLC we see nowadays, is pathethic, take EA for example with their Day 1 DLC BS, now i'm not saying Nintendo is not behind times in this, but honestly, i rather have fewer DLC that is really worth it than content that is only locked in the disc for the sake of easy money.

Now once again, i'm not saying they are the only ones who put great DLC, Rockstar is known for their terrific DLC in their games as well as Capcom (at least USFIV is well worth it) what i'm trying to say is that it would have been very easy for Nintendo to just put a coat of paint on most of their games and called it a day, however they are putting DLC only where they think is really worth it.

#30 Posted by nintendoboy16 (26904 posts) -

@madsnakehhh said:

Actually, no, or not entirely...i'm all over good DLC, but honestly, most of the DLC we see nowadays, is pathethic, take EA for example with their Day 1 DLC BS, now i'm not saying Nintendo is not behind times in this, but honestly, i rather have fewer DLC that is really worth it than content that is only locked in the disc for the sake of easy money.

Now once again, i'm not saying they are the only ones who put great DLC, Rockstar is known for their terrific DLC in their games as well as Capcom (at least USFIV is well worth it) what i'm trying to say is that it would have been very easy for Nintendo to just put a coat of paint on most of their games and called it a day, however they are putting DLC only where they think is really worth it.

Bethesda CAN be (bar horse armor) good with DLC too. Shivering Isles in Oblivion for example.

#31 Posted by Shinobishyguy (22488 posts) -

@tacoma1972: pikmin 3: loads of dlc challenge stages and an update that allows touchscreen controls for aiming and throwing pikmin

But hey don't let me stop you from spouting off shit

#32 Posted by TwistedShade (3165 posts) -

Yes please. Mario Kart 8 is a stable party game around here we'd definitely buy more maps if available.

#33 Posted by tacoma1972 (181 posts) -

@Shinobishyguy:

DLC & Updates are different. Challange stages............................................. wow, awsome. All Im saying is about fucking time and I hope it continues. Also I aint spouting shit. Its a fact they have been behind in DLC............period. I guess I just expect more value for my money, and DLC provides me a choice, despite the quality. I have grown tired of Nintendo because unlike 75% of this board I grew up with them (42 years young right now). I also own alot of Nintendo products. I still have my original NES complete with box and Rob the Robot and its in mint condition. I also own about half dozen nintendo watches and quartz games, as well as around 90 original NES games of which I have over half have their boxes.

You can accuse me of spouting off shit all you want but it does not change the fact that Nintendo's lack of progression and adoption of mainstream technology is hurting them. If you accuse me of being a fanboy then I accuse you of being a dumbass.

If people dont approve of my attitude towards Nintendo I dont care. The OP should not have posted under system wars if he was not expecting someone to say ABOUT FUCKING TIME NINTENDO.

#34 Posted by nini200 (9827 posts) -

If true then great. Only one Bowser's Castle? Really? No Choco Island, Vanilla Lake? I was very happy when I saw Donut Plains though. Bowser's Castle DS would be the best choice for track conversion on this one. Matter of fact, the DS had a bunch of stages that could transition to the gravity arena's pretty easily. People are begging for new characters, I think bringing back/adding new items, balancing the item slot chance (Get too many coins in 1st place and hardly nothing to defend yourself with) and new stages are more important than characters right now. Battle Mode is a joke.

Sidenote: It'd be pretty crazy to see a modified F-Zero track in there.

#35 Posted by DocSanchez (1648 posts) -

I'm fine with it but it will be interesting seeing the total 180 degree turn Nintendo fans will be having on here. Having decried DLC for years and claiming Nintendo would never stoop so low they are now going to be pretending they were waiting for it all along and are glad they are finally getting it.

For me if a game feels finished and they are adding extra content it's different than gimping your game and releasing half of it behind a paywall as capcom have been doing.

#36 Posted by Shinobishyguy (22488 posts) -

@tacoma1972: okay what does that speil have anything to do with Nintendo's DLC? I take a jab at your ignorance of recent games and you give me your life's story as if it's relevant at all

#37 Posted by MBirdy88 (8330 posts) -

Go go Blue Shell... give me some actual challenging courses! F*ck the 2 included rainbow roads (though the old one is very pretty and good on nostalgia)

#38 Posted by nini200 (9827 posts) -

@DocSanchez said:

I'm fine with it but it will be interesting seeing the total 180 degree turn Nintendo fans will be having on here. Having decried DLC for years and claiming Nintendo would never stoop so low they are now going to be pretending they were waiting for it all along and are glad they are finally getting it.

For me if a game feels finished and they are adding extra content it's different than gimping your game and releasing half of it behind a paywall as capcom have been doing.

Nintendo has done DLC already... The DLC that fans (Not just Nintendo fans) cry about content that was already on disk but was held back to make bank like DLC on other consoles. Nintendo themselves already said they will not be doing that kind of DLC and the kind they would be doing is the kind that is adding to already completed games.

#39 Posted by Legend002 (7220 posts) -

The content from the original MK8 is enough for me but damn these DLCs will split up a lot of players. I might be "forced" to buy the add on just to avoid being segmented away from the community.

#40 Posted by Minishdriveby (10031 posts) -

What the game needs is some Dry Bones.

#41 Posted by nintendoboy16 (26904 posts) -

@DocSanchez said:

I for one actually dread how this'll be handled for this game.

#42 Posted by mikhail (2326 posts) -

Is this System Wars or Post Every News Story You See Wars?

#43 Posted by DocSanchez (1648 posts) -

@nini200: That's not true. Everyone decries that kind of DLC. But when Nintendo wasn't joining in the online revolution the fans used to enjoy bragging about how all their games were "complete" and Nintendo wouldn't turn to the same "money gouging" practices of the others. Of course, now they are people are creaming their jeans over it.

#44 Edited by PurpleMan5000 (7323 posts) -

I'm not a fan of console DLC and I will probably skip this if The combined cost is more than the $20 an expansion pack would cost.

#45 Posted by PrincessGomez92 (3616 posts) -

Nintendo should go all the way with DLC. Give us DLC for every game, day 1 DLC. Make sure each pack is $15 too. Oh yeah, that would be awesome.

#46 Posted by hiphops_savior (7945 posts) -

@Legend002: Or maybe Nintendo might do something shockingly generous and allow for all players to play a DLC track if that player selects it (of course, main disadvantage is that player would know the track inside-out while you have to adjust as you go).

#47 Posted by lamprey263 (24221 posts) -

hopefully it's not a Mercedes Cup

#48 Posted by locopatho (20384 posts) -

Awesome! Would buy. I was gonna not support Nintendo DL content in case my console breaks and I lose it... but then I drunkenly bought the frickin' game on the digital store... so I might as well buy some maps too!

Side bar: do sheep like DLC now? Weren't they trumpeting last gen about how they weren't "milked" like fans of say, Halo, were? Is this another stand they've abandoned now that Ninty are doing it and (*SPOILER!*) it's actually pretty fucking cool? ;)

#49 Edited by Legend002 (7220 posts) -

@princessgomez92 said:

Nintendo should go all the way with DLC. Give us DLC for every game, day 1 DLC. Make sure each pack is $15 too. Oh yeah, that would be awesome.

#50 Edited by Bigboi500 (30062 posts) -

Dear Lord. I guess I've forgotten just how petty and lame some of you douches are. Must be miserable living in your skins. :<