Mario Kart 8 is slow selling Mario game

• 68 results
#51 Edited by lamprey263 (25613 posts) -

It hasn't been two months yet and it's already sold 2 million. It'd also be stupid to think of May as a month of sales as the game basically released on the 30th. Nearly 1 out of every 3 Wii U owners owns it, that's pretty good.

#52 Edited by Shinobishyguy (22648 posts) -

Well this thread backfired quickly

#53 Posted by Suppaman100 (4365 posts) -

@drummerdave9099 said:

@Suppaman100 said:

@drummerdave9099 said:

@Suppaman100 said:

@charizard1605 said:

@Suppaman100 said:

Lol Wii U...such a fail for Nintendo.

Fastest selling Mario Kart in history (TC's own numbers contradict his claims, which are for just one territory anyway), and the WIi U is a fail, amirite?

At least properly read the OP you are responding to.

Read it, Wii U still a failure.

Lol come on now sheep, the Wii U is lost cause, MK8 or even Zelda won't save it.

And a month ago you were admitting that Nintendo won E3

Yes of course and they still "won" E3. Sony and MS's E3 were so mediocre, Nintendo's E3 was a bit better than mediocre but still not good enough imo.

But what does it matter who wins E3? We already know where Wii U is heading, dead last. Zelda or any other first party nintendo game won't change that.

So all you care about is sales then? Not games?

I know sheep don't like it, but sales are important. If sales are bad, there is no incentive for developers to make content for that system. Then you're only left with first-party. So if you want games, the console also needs to sell well.

#54 Posted by Zassimick (7160 posts) -

I feel like the slow sales are because of the poor Battle Mode in the game. Probably would have had some cows and lemmings purchasing the game if it had the old mode from the N64 game.

The game is awesome though, I've had a ton of fun with it regardless.

#55 Edited by nintendoboy16 (28079 posts) -

@Zassimick said:

I feel like the slow sales are because of the poor Battle Mode in the game. Probably would have had some cows and lemmings purchasing the game if it had the old mode from the N64 game.

The game is awesome though, I've had a ton of fun with it regardless.

Massively doubtful.

#56 Posted by Ballroompirate (23744 posts) -

Well this further proves freedomfreelife should stop making dumb threads

#57 Posted by charizard1605 (61729 posts) -

@Suppaman100 said:

@drummerdave9099 said:

I know sheep don't like it, but sales are important. If sales are bad, there is no incentive for developers to make content for that system. Then you're only left with first-party. So if you want games, the console also needs to sell well.

Were sales important last gen, then? When the Wii (and DS) were kicking ass? Are they important in the handheld market where the 3DS has humiliated the Vita?

Just curious, is all.

#58 Edited by Speak_Low (1258 posts) -

Sales are always important. Don't forget that those who say they aren't also keep posting "Nintendomination" and "Nintendo owns Japan" every week with Media Create/Famitsu, and will eyeball those very same sales tables when SSBU and Zelda U arrives, fascinated by the cause & effect sales have on their favorite system.

Software sales have an incredible effect on console sales and the resulting developer support, and when that end flourishes, it immediately feeds into more software/console sales, which equals even more valuable support. This energetic flow is what gives a console those sustaining qualities necessary for long-term success and profitability.

Any one who acts like this healthy cycle a new thing to them are just pretending and feigning obliviousness, just because some numbers don't look quite as good as they hoped and they are stuck with few defenses or explanations for sagging numbers.

And when they suggest that a person who looks at sales doesn't care about games or gameplay, then you know that person is trying to manufacture "guilt" within the opposition, as if they are not real gamers or don't know how to fully appreciate the finer qualities of the medium.

That said - I think the MK8 sales are doing well for the rather low install base ("low" compared to where the Wii U should ideally be at now) I just take issue with those who say "you look at sales! You hate gameplay! You HATE games!!" I am not playing a platformer, so please don't make such fantastic leaps for me. You chose to enter a sales thread after all...so sales will be discussed. We do not have to bring up gameplay design 101, advanced artistic principles, philosophy, narrative engagement, the current body of neuroscience and the entirety of video game history into every sales thread. Whatever we leave out doesn't mean we don't care about it.

#59 Posted by Zassimick (7160 posts) -

@nintendoboy16: The world may never know... ;)

#60 Edited by Shinobishyguy (22648 posts) -

@speak_low said:

Sales are always important.

Yeah, I'm sure you were saying the same thing last gen when the wii was dominating right?

#61 Posted by ActicEdge (24492 posts) -

@Shinobishyguy said:

@speak_low said:

Yeah, I'm sure you were saying the same thing last gen when the wii was dominating right?

His account is from 2013, of course he wasn't lol. He's not wrong though, sales are sales. You go into a sales thread, discuss sales. That's what it's for. This thread has no reason for existing though since TC posted blatantly false information.

#62 Posted by 93BlackHawk93 (6256 posts) -

Yet, it's the best selling Mario Kart worldwide.

#63 Edited by KungfuKitten (21414 posts) -

@R4gn4r0k said:

@super600 said:

What point are you trying to make TC because it looks like mario kart 8 outsold a bunch of the mario kart games listed in your OP in two months?

He should've read the title in his own source:

http://gimmegimmegames.com/2014/07/mario-kart-8-selling-slower-us-double-dash-mk7-mk-wii/

Selling slower than Double Dash, MK7 and MK Wii does not mean being the slowest Mario game ever...

I suspect their installed audience was larger too.

#64 Posted by Suppaman100 (4365 posts) -

@charizard1605 said:

@Suppaman100 said:

@drummerdave9099 said:

Were sales important last gen, then? When the Wii (and DS) were kicking ass? Are they important in the handheld market where the 3DS has humiliated the Vita?

Just curious, is all.

Yes of course sales were important last gen. But PS3 still managed to get to second place (by now) and secure a good third party support.

And sales are also important for handhelds. Even though I love the Vita hardware and think it has so much potential, I and you know it's a lost cause, just like Wii U imo.

#65 Posted by PurpleLabel (314 posts) -

It's fun as hell. Enjoy playing numbers.

#66 Edited by Speak_Low (1258 posts) -

@Shinobishyguy said:

@speak_low said:

Of course I felt the same back then. When one console is selling more it doesn't completely halt production of games for the other ones (unless you're the Wii U - then that's a different story). The PS360 were still getting lots of AAA third-party games (and more of the better ones than the Wii /dealwithit) because of their very good sales, rapidly growing online community and better hardware.

I didn't sit their paralyzed for over seven years last gen, forlornly looking at the Wii news headlines and with no games to play, while the Wii was selling like crazy thanks to hungry Casual warfare that came and went quickly. I had lots to play thanks to the PS360 keeping up with their own sales right behind the Wii. The distance between them wasn't that huge where I needed a telescope just to see last place.

The "ass kicking" that Nintendo gave left the mildest imprint possible. PS360 still got way more of the bigger AAA third-party titles anyways like nothing happened, and both of these consoles are going to end up being about 10 million units behind the Wii's 101 million total, and the Xbox 360 is going to pass the Wii's units sales in the US in just a few months. For the PS360 to keep selling to this day and make profit, and to have their fanbase show eager support for the next-gen consoles so quickly, is the type of widespread loyalty that has to be commended and something that Nintendo wishes they had right now.

If you just read the CNN and Yahoo headlines last gen and didn't dig below the surface, it would seem like the Wii and Nintendo won everything and had absolutely no problems, no flaw and worries, and set themselves up beautifully for their Wii U successor. And yet, looking further, we could see worrisome Nintendo problems (and recurring ones) gathering and building up and following them right into the Wii U era. Now Nintendo has all sorts of full-blown problems now, despite having the highest sales last generation. Hmmm, gee, I wonder why???

I also wonder if Nintendo would've preferred a 70-80 million Wii total instead, taken a respectable third place, BUT have guaranteed loyalty and double (or triple) the Wii U sales today. One could only imagine how things could've been vastly different if the Wii U sales were so much better today, and the fanbase actually bought lots more third-party games and had an online population that could rival PSN/Xbox Live's communities.

#67 Edited by Shinobishyguy (22648 posts) -

@speak_low: lol so now your falling back on the same "who cares about sales, we still got games" excuse you accuse sheep of using only this time with the ps3 and 360.

So which is it?

#68 Posted by Speak_Low (1258 posts) -

@Shinobishyguy said:

@speak_low: lol so now your falling back on the same "who cares about sales, we still got games" excuse you accuse sheep of using only this time with the ps3 and 360.

So which is it?

I didn't say "who cares about sales" - I said it has always mattered (I mention it over and over again in the previous posts). PS360 had lots of games because of good sales (and hardware also helped).

Sometimes I think you oversimplify and intentionally misread so you can have the last word.

#70 Posted by Shinobishyguy (22648 posts) -

@speak_low: the wii had even better sales and got jack shit from third parties. It's obviously not the be all end all