Mario Kart 8 is slow selling Mario game

• 68 results
#1 Edited by FreedomFreeLife (2507 posts) -

http://gimmegimmegames.com/2014/07/mario-kart-8-selling-slower-us-double-dash-mk7-mk-wii/

First let’s compare the first two months of Mario Kart sales since the N64 release:

Mario Kart 64- February 1997 350k

Mario Kart 64- March 1997 350k

First two months: 700k

Mario Kart: Super Circuit- August 2001 107K

Mario Kart: Super Circuit- September 2001 183K

Two months: 291k

Mario Kart: Double Dash- November 2003 528K

Mario Kart: Double Dash- December 2003730K

Two months: 1.26 million

Mario Kart DS- November 2005 222K

Mario Kart DS- December 2005 431K

Two months: 653k

Mario Kart Wii- April 2008 1.1 million

Mario Kart Wii- May 2008 787K

Two months: 1.9 million

Mario Kart 7- December 2011 1.2 million

Mario Kart 7- January 2012 149K

Two months: 1.34 million

Mario Kart 8- May 2014 315K

Mario Kart 8- June 2014 470K

Two months: 885k

#2 Edited by super600 (30718 posts) -

What point are you trying to make TC because it looks like mario kart 8 outsold a bunch of the mario kart games listed in your OP in two months?

#3 Posted by slapshakle (4407 posts) -

Didn't MK8 sell a million copies in the first week?

#4 Posted by super600 (30718 posts) -

@slapshakle said:

Didn't MK8 sell a million copies in the first week?

These are US numbers.

#5 Edited by anderswhk (67 posts) -

I like Mario Kart, but let's be honest here. It's just Mario Kart. Not exactly anything new.

#6 Posted by DocSanchez (1642 posts) -

It's the worst one on the home console since N64. Not the slowest selling but significantly lower than recent home console versions according to your figures.

#7 Posted by R4gn4r0k (16627 posts) -

@super600 said:

What point are you trying to make TC because it looks like mario kart 8 outsold a bunch of the mario kart games listed in your OP in two months?

He should've read the title in his own source:

http://gimmegimmegames.com/2014/07/mario-kart-8-selling-slower-us-double-dash-mk7-mk-wii/

Selling slower than Double Dash, MK7 and MK Wii does not mean being the slowest Mario game ever...

#8 Posted by Kjranu (1029 posts) -

The Wii U install base is also a lot smaller compared to previous consoles. I highly doubt Nintendo made Mario Kart 8 for the first few months of sales but they're expecting it to sell a lot ... over time as Wii U sales pick up.

#9 Edited by super600 (30718 posts) -

@DocSanchez said:

It's the worst one on the home console since N64. Not the slowest selling but significantly lower than recent home console versions according to your figures.

I think both the N64 and the Gamecube mario kart's released during a holiday season in one or more regions so those really can not be compared to some of the other mario karts. Mario Kart 7 and wii had a larger audience to appeal to.Mario Kart 8 is still selling pretty good if we take this all into account.

#10 Posted by Shielder7 (5152 posts) -

@super600 said:

You really don't know his point? It's the point of all his other threads its...

Consoles bad very bad!

PC good very good!

Obvious.

#11 Posted by Netret0120 (2198 posts) -

How does this information affect your life in a positive way?

#12 Posted by DocSanchez (1642 posts) -

@super600: I agree it's selling good considering it's low base. It's one of the games which is absolutely bound to. It's one of the reasons people bought the system.

#13 Edited by Shielder7 (5152 posts) -

@Netret0120 said:

He's delusion is that everyone will quit console gaming and go to PC.

#14 Posted by LegatoSkyheart (25552 posts) -

@Shielder7 said:

@Netret0120 said:

He's delusion is that everyone will quit console gaming and got to PC.

They should.

#15 Posted by thehig1 (2233 posts) -

He should have said it's the slowest selling Mario kart game.

I don't have figures but I'm pretty sure Mario tennis on virtual boy sold less.

#16 Edited by AzatiS (7641 posts) -

@anderswhk said:

I like Mario Kart, but let's be honest here. It's just Mario Kart. Not exactly anything new.

But poor sheeps dont have anything else to play rather than 2-3 first party titles ,and Kart is one of them ...

#17 Posted by nintendoboy16 (26872 posts) -

@Shielder7 said:

@Netret0120 said:

Really? I always thought FFL was a lem.

#18 Edited by bloodlust_101 (2716 posts) -
@nintendoboy16 said:

@Shielder7 said:

@Netret0120 said:

Really? I always thought FFL was a lem.

He switched sides when he realized how bad the XBone really was, and how impossible it is to defend.

That said - I prefer him as a hermit, Hermits get another rampant idiot in their ranks to stereotype :)

#19 Posted by foxhound_fox (88691 posts) -

I'm not sure where you took math... but 885,000 is a larger number than 653,000, 291,000 and 700,000.

#20 Posted by pyro1245 (855 posts) -

On the slowest selling Nintendo console? No.

#21 Posted by dobzilian (2490 posts) -

Does not compute.

#22 Posted by ActicEdge (24492 posts) -

The data you're providing is really flawed. Launch period is important too. The tracking for MK8 was only about 3 days in May for example. MK:DD launched holiday season and hasn't sold much more than MK8 during the weakest period of the year. If you compare in the next 6 months, MK8 is going to easily eclipse all other mario karts except Wii, 7 and DS. It won't surpass 7 strictly because the December launch makes it inherently more frontloaded. 1.2 million is the largest month for any Mario Kart game even though 7 will sell less than Wii and DS assuredly.

#23 Edited by 22Toothpicks (11290 posts) -

TC cannot math for shit.

It is selling fairly low, though. Like others have said it's small install base (what is it, 4 million? IDK) is a factor.

#24 Posted by bobbetybob (19288 posts) -

So slowest selling except for the other ones that sold slower, including the DS version and what a shitty console that turned out to be.

#25 Posted by ivo_ree (103 posts) -

You're math is kinda wrong, because Mario Kart 8 has sold more than some of the other Mario Karts on that list.

#26 Posted by ivo_ree (103 posts) -

Your math is kinda wrong because it sold more than some of the other games on the list.

#27 Posted by Solaryellow (489 posts) -

How about actual dates rather than just months. Didn't 8 launch at the end of May?

#28 Posted by drummerdave9099 (746 posts) -

I expect Mario Kart 8 to do very well for Nintendo. There are currently Mario Kart 8 happy meal toys at McDonalds, which is good advertising. Expect to see it in some advertisements during the holidays as well

#29 Posted by louisfoxton (1398 posts) -

Tc must be on drugs Mario 8 sold better than 64 so how is it the slowest selling mario kart game?

Mario Kart 64- February 1997 350k

Mario Kart 64- March 1997 350k

First two months: 700k

Mario Kart 8- May 2014 315K

Mario Kart 8- June 2014 470K

Two months: 885k

#30 Posted by MonsieurX (30417 posts) -

Look at your title and your data OP.

Anyway,not bad considering the small user base Wii U has

#31 Edited by HalcyonScarlet (4492 posts) -

I think its more to do with the platform rather than the game. Certainly the first one to interest me since maybe the SNES or the N64 one.

#32 Edited by TwistedShade (3165 posts) -

Yet it still sold more than most Xbox exclusives could dream of....

#33 Posted by charizard1605 (58152 posts) -

This thread is misleading. Mario Kart 8 is slowest selling in one territory (even there it's not the slowest, incidentally, your own OP contradicts your post). Worldwide LTD, it's the fastest selling yet, with more than 2 million copies sold in a one month period.

Please edit your thread, or I will have to lock it. You are free to make a new one with a proper title and/or numbers, however, if that happens.

#34 Posted by Suppaman100 (3937 posts) -

Lol Wii U...such a fail for Nintendo.

#35 Posted by charizard1605 (58152 posts) -

@Suppaman100 said:

Fastest selling Mario Kart in history (TC's own numbers contradict his claims, which are for just one territory anyway), and the WIi U is a fail, amirite?

At least properly read the OP you are responding to.

#36 Edited by BldgIrsh (2685 posts) -

@Shielder7 said:

@super600 said:

You really don't know his point? It's the point of all his other threads its...

Consoles bad very bad!

PC good very good!

Obvious.

Sad part is he's a lemming hiding behind a PC.

#37 Edited by super600 (30718 posts) -

@charizard1605 said:

This thread is misleading. Mario Kart 8 is slowest selling in one territory (even there it's not the slowest, incidentally, your own OP contradicts your post). Worldwide LTD, it's the fastest selling yet, with more than 2 million copies sold in a one month period.

Please edit your thread, or I will have to lock it. You are free to make a new one with a proper title and/or numbers, however, if that happens.

I think it's a good idea to lock this thread if he doesn't change the thread's title in the next hour or two. He still has yet to respond to my post.I was going to lock this thread last night because of the title, but I decided to wait until he responded to my post.You have a 1 hour limit t to respond to my post Tc starting now.

#38 Posted by madsnakehhh (14483 posts) -

@anderswhk said:

Exactly what i was thinking before buying it...now i think is the best Mario Kart in a long, long time.

#39 Posted by Roler42 (767 posts) -

Second misleading thread in a single day

#40 Posted by Suppaman100 (3937 posts) -

@charizard1605 said:

@Suppaman100 said:

Fastest selling Mario Kart in history (TC's own numbers contradict his claims, which are for just one territory anyway), and the WIi U is a fail, amirite?

Read it, Wii U still a failure.

Lol come on now sheep, the Wii U is lost cause, MK8 or even Zelda won't save it.

#41 Posted by charizard1605 (58152 posts) -

@Suppaman100 said:

@charizard1605 said:

@Suppaman100 said:

Lol come on now sheep, the Wii U is lost cause, MK8 or even Zelda won't save it.

No one has ever claimed the Wii U will be anything but a last place console. Probably Nintendo's worst performing console ever.

Fine, that's established. Why are we going over it again, really?

It's like the PS3, it was doing poorly, but Sony gave us all a lot of great games for it. At least that's what Nintendo is doing, doubling down and giving us loads of great games for the Wii U in spite of its failure, unlike Sony and the Vita, where they've just given up.

#42 Edited by Shielder7 (5152 posts) -
@LegatoSkyheart said:

@Shielder7 said:

@Netret0120 said:

He's delusion is that everyone will quit console gaming and got to PC.

They should.

#43 Posted by drummerdave9099 (746 posts) -

@Suppaman100 said:

@charizard1605 said:

@Suppaman100 said:

And a month ago you were admitting that Nintendo won E3

#44 Edited by charizard1605 (58152 posts) -

Sorry TC. You got multiple warnings to edit the thread title, but you've failed to do so.

Feel free to repost, albeit not with a misleading title this time.

EDIT: Title changed, so you're back in business.

#45 Posted by Suppaman100 (3937 posts) -

@drummerdave9099 said:

@Suppaman100 said:

@charizard1605 said:

@Suppaman100 said:

Yes of course and they still "won" E3. Sony and MS's E3 were so mediocre, Nintendo's E3 was a bit better than mediocre but still not good enough imo.

But what does it matter who wins E3? We already know where Wii U is heading, dead last. Zelda or any other first party nintendo game won't change that.

#47 Posted by drummerdave9099 (746 posts) -

@Suppaman100 said:

@drummerdave9099 said:

@Suppaman100 said:

@charizard1605 said:

@Suppaman100 said:

Yes of course and they still "won" E3. Sony and MS's E3 were so mediocre, Nintendo's E3 was a bit better than mediocre but still not good enough imo.

But what does it matter who wins E3? We already know where Wii U is heading, dead last. Zelda or any other first party nintendo game won't change that.

So all you care about is sales then? Not games?

#48 Posted by Shielder7 (5152 posts) -

@drummerdave9099 said:

@Suppaman100 said:

@charizard1605 said:

@Suppaman100 said:

Winning E3 doesn't mean a whole lot.

#49 Edited by MonsieurX (30417 posts) -

Dat title now

#50 Posted by santoron (7774 posts) -

His threads sure haven't improved after running to PC...