Mario is Mario regardless of difference in gameplay

• 58 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

ImDaMan4Realz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By ImDaMan4Realz
Member since 2013 • 97 Posts

Sheep like to go around saying that every mario game feels completely different and the only thing they have in common is mario. WRONG. Ignoring the 2d marios which are all exactly like, every mario game feels like mario regardless of the difference in gameplay. The artstyles are all similar, the music is all similar, the stories are all similiar. There is more to a game being different than just gameplay. I know it makes you feel better with the thought that nintendo makes different types of games just with the same characters, artstyle, music, story, and atmosphere, but all mario games feel more alike to eachother than to other platformers.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c8ff6a32bb23
deactivated-5c8ff6a32bb23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#2 deactivated-5c8ff6a32bb23
Member since 2012 • 3185 Posts

What a derp.

ImDaMan4Realz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 ImDaMan4Realz

@PonchoTaco said:

What a derp

@PonchoTaco said:

What a derp.

This is the response I was expecting. Nothing to counter ny argument I see.

Devil-Itachi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Devil-Itachi
Member since 2005 • 4387 Posts

Okay then.

Pikminmaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#5  Edited By Pikminmaniac
Member since 2006 • 11513 Posts

So THE most important aspect a game can have is different between each installment of a Mario game... Cool. I'm OK with that completely

I would say the big difference between Mario games is the level design. You're whisked off to all new and creative worlds that are all very skillfully designed. That's what's been keeping the franchise fresh.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c8ff6a32bb23
deactivated-5c8ff6a32bb23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By deactivated-5c8ff6a32bb23
Member since 2012 • 3185 Posts

@imdaman4realz said:

@PonchoTaco said:

What a derp

@PonchoTaco said:

What a derp.

This is the response I was expecting. Nothing to counter ny argument I see.

Then why even post?

zassimick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 142

User Lists: 2

#7 zassimick  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 10470 Posts

@imdaman4realz said:

Sheep like to go around saying that every mario game feels completely different and the only thing they have in common is mario. WRONG. Ignoring the 2d marios which are all exactly like, every mario game feels like mario regardless of the difference in gameplay. The artstyles are all similar, the music is all similar, the stories are all similiar. There is more to a game being different than just gameplay. I know it makes you feel better with the thought that nintendo makes different types of games just with the same characters, artstyle, music, story, and atmosphere, but all mario games feel more alike to eachother than to other platformers.

I'll bite. First, why should we ignore 2D Mario games?

Second, the gameplay is the exact thing "sheep" are talking about when saying Mario games are different from one another. Galaxy plays a lot different than 3D World, which plays a lot different than Sunshine, and they all play a lot different than Super Mario World, Super Mario Bros 3, etc.

They share similarities because they are a part of the same franchise, that's not something I have seen people debate. In fact, that's one of the strengths of the franchise. I love seeing Goombas and Koopas running around. That's one of the great things about Super Mario 3D World, seeing enemies from Super Mario World in the environment.

I guess I'm just confused by the argument. There is more to a game than the gameplay, I agree, but the gameplay is what is being debated when Mario games are compared with each other. It is the blend of consistency of elements within the franchise yet making key changes to gameplay while still making it feel like Mario that makes the franchise so endearing.

bbkkristian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 1

#9 bbkkristian
Member since 2008 • 14971 Posts

Mario is Mario, Halo is Halo, Uncharted is Uncharted. You'll find that all games of a franchise are substantially similar to one another (mind = blown, right?)

Wild_man_22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#10 Wild_man_22
Member since 2010 • 907 Posts

3d world and galaxy are actually pretty distinct from one another. Other than the fact that they are both 3d platformers and set in the same universe.

They have different power ups, different map layouts, Different environmental presentations, heck their "stories" are even different.

I dont know what more people want from nintendo in order to distinguish them.

ImDaMan4Realz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 ImDaMan4Realz

@Zassimick said:

@imdaman4realz said:

I'll bite. First, why should we ignore 2D Mario games?

Second, the gameplay is the exact thing "sheep" are talking about when saying Mario games are different from one another. Galaxy plays a lot different than 3D World, which plays a lot different than Sunshine, and they all play a lot different than Super Mario World, Super Mario Bros 3, etc.

They share similarities because they are a part of the same franchise, that's not something I have seen people debate. In fact, that's one of the strengths of the franchise. I love seeing Goombas and Koopas running around. That's one of the great things about Super Mario 3D World, seeing enemies from Super Mario World in the environment.

I guess I'm just confused by the argument. There is more to a game than the gameplay, I agree, but the gameplay is what is being debated when Mario games are compared with each other. It is the blend of consistency of elements within the franchise yet making key changes to gameplay while still making it feel like Mario that makes the franchise so endearing.

Don't try and pretend that sheep haven't been saying that every new mario game could pass for another ip if they changed the characters. That is sheep's excuse for the rehashing. They dont think a new ip is necessary because all the difference mario games already feel like completely different games which is false.

Avatar image for deactivated-59b71619573a1
deactivated-59b71619573a1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By deactivated-59b71619573a1
Member since 2007 • 38222 Posts

More Mario may be more Mario but when the gameplay is improved or innovated constantly then I don't see a problem. Mario changes more from sequel to sequel than most other AAA games.

On the surface it may look similar but the level design and mechanics are usually different enough for it not to feel the exact same. I'd choose better level design and mechanics in a sequel any day over a new story and different locations, which is all most other gmaes do

ImDaMan4Realz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 ImDaMan4Realz

@Wild_man_22 said:

3d world and galaxy are actually pretty distinct from one another. Other than the fact that they are both 3d platformers and set in the same universe.

They have different power ups, different map layouts, Different environmental presentations, heck their "stories" are even different.

I dont know what more people want from nintendo in order to distinguish them.

Nintendo doesn't have to distinguish one mario game from another. But that's the excuse for them not making new IPs. Just because every mario game has key differences doesnt mean that they shouldn't make new IPs that dont involve mario.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#14 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46201 Posts

@Pikminmaniac said:

So THE most important aspect a game can have is different between each installment of a Mario game... Cool. I'm OK with that completely

I would say the big difference between Mario games is the level design. You're whisked off to all new and creative worlds that are all very skillfully designed. That's what's been keeping the franchise fresh.

Yup, Mario's level design and controls are among the best of all the platformers out there. That is where a game like this can stand or fall in my opinion, not the re-use of story or re-use of music. I couldn't care less about those, in fact I think many fans love the old mario tunes and love hearing them remade in newer games as well as original score.

@seanmcloughlin said:

More Mario may be more Mario but when the gameplay is improved or innovated constantly then I don't see a problem. Mario changes more from sequel to sequel than most other AAA games.

On the surface it may look similar but the level design and mechanics are usually different enough for it not to feel the exact same.

Have you played 3D Land yet ? (free with the purchase of a 3DS and one game)

ImDaMan4Realz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 ImDaMan4Realz

@seanmcloughlin said:

On the surface it may look similar but the level design and mechanics are usually different enough for it not to feel the exact same. I'd choose better level design and mechanics in a sequel any day over a new story and different locations, which is all most other gmaes do

They're not different enough that Nintendo doesnt need to make new IPs though. Sheep lately have been saying that there is no point of them making new IPs since everyvmario game already feels like a completely different game which isn't true at all.

zassimick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 zassimick  Moderator

@imdaman4realz said:

Don't try and pretend that sheep haven't been saying that every new mario game could pass for another ip if they changed the characters. That is sheep's excuse for the rehashing. They dont think a new ip is necessary because all the difference mario games already feel like completely different games which is false.

Can I get a link on this?

And I'd agree that Nintendo doesn't need a new IP for all the Mario games. Each game is strengthened by the fundamentals of the franchise, elements taken from past games and used in great ways. One is example is when Nintendo brought back the flag poles at the end of the stages; the poles gave a nostalgic feel to the newer games. Now they serve as an indicator of the end of the level and are a constant goal to get to the top.

Again, I'm left confused by your argument. Mario is Mario, we get that. There are plenty of gameplay changes made through the series to keep it fresh while each installment retains elements of past games that continues to strengthen the franchise. There is no need to take this gameplay and change the characters; I bet it would hurt the game as a result if they did that. I don't see why you are making this argument though.

wiifan001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

#17 wiifan001
Member since 2007 • 18660 Posts
@imdaman4realz said:

Sheep like to go around saying that every mario game feels completely different and the only thing they have in common is mario. WRONG. Ignoring the 2d marios which are all exactly like, every mario game feels like mario regardless of the difference in gameplay.

By this logic Mario Teaches Typing feels like a Mario game just as much as Super Mario Bros 3, and Super Mario Galaxy feels like a Mario game just as much as Mario Paint?

If you truly believe that you're either far too one-dimensional in so many ways or you really haven't thought this through.

sHaDyCuBe321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 sHaDyCuBe321
Member since 2003 • 5769 Posts

Given the following entries to popular game series, which franchise has changed more drastically between each iteration?

Since 2007 - Main Series Entries

Mario - Galaxy 1, Galaxy 2, Super Mario 3D World

Halo - Halo 3, Halo Reach, Halo 4

Uncharted - Uncharted 1, 2 and 3

Gameplay wise....probably Mario

Renegade_Fury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#19  Edited By Renegade_Fury
Member since 2003 • 21700 Posts

Mario's gameplay barely ever changes, which is why I'm so bored of it atm. They do try new things with the level design, I'll give them that, but I want to see more fundamental changes.

PurpleMan5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 PurpleMan5000
Member since 2011 • 10531 Posts

@Renegade_Fury said:

Mario's gameplay barely ever changes, which is why I'm so bored of it atm. They do try new things with the level design, I'll give them that, but I want to see more fundamental changes.

Well, they have put out the Mario and Luigi, Paper Mario, and Luigi's Mansion series which are completely different gameplay-wise from the standard 2D and 3D experiences. As far as making changes to those games, what do you have in mind? They all usually have a different mechanic or suit of some sort, but they are still platformers. I really don't know how much else they could change while still making the game revolve around platforming.

Renegade_Fury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Renegade_Fury
Member since 2003 • 21700 Posts

@PurpleMan5000 said:

@Renegade_Fury said:

Well, they have put out the Mario and Luigi, Paper Mario, and Luigi's Mansion series which are completely different gameplay-wise from the standard 2D and 3D experiences. As far as making changes to those games, what do you have in mind? They all usually have a different mechanic or suit of some sort, but they are still platformers. I really don't know how much else they could change while still making the game revolve around platforming.

I only care about the Mario platformers; I don't like the rpgs or luigi's mansion. I'm talking about how he controls, his physics, what moves he can perform without powerups, etc. At its core, Mario has handled the same since 64 (it's gotten way more polished, but it has again stagnated since '07). I want real changes, so to speak, and I'm not a believer in "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" after a long period of time. Other franchises either don't come out as often, or they flip things around every now and then, but Mario doesn't. Instead, his games are releasing more periodically, and they all handle the same or extremely similarly. That gets boring to me.

ImDaMan4Realz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 ImDaMan4Realz

@wiifan001 said:
@imdaman4realz said:

Sheep like to go around saying that every mario game feels completely different and the only thing they have in common is mario. WRONG. Ignoring the 2d marios which are all exactly like, every mario game feels like mario regardless of the difference in gameplay.

By this logic Mario Teaches Typing feels like a Mario game just as much as Super Mario Bros 3, and Super Mario Galaxy feels like a Mario game just as much as Mario Paint?

If you truly believe that you're either far too one-dimensional in so many ways or you really haven't thought this through.

.... Did I say anything about the terrible spin offs? Can u quote where u thought I may have been talking about spin offs?

DarkLink77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 DarkLink77
Member since 2004 • 32731 Posts

@seanmcloughlin said:

This.

"Well, the only thing that's different is the gameplay."

And that's the only thing that matters. TC is a moron.

wiifan001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

#24 wiifan001
Member since 2007 • 18660 Posts

@imdaman4realz said:

@wiifan001 said:
@imdaman4realz said:

.... Did I say anything about the terrible spin offs? Can u quote where u thought I may have been talking about spin offs?

You said "EVERY Mario feels like a Mario game regardless of the difference in gameplay". And "every" includes the spin offs, I don't know how to interpret your meaning of "every Mario game," but I see now it's not a complete generalization....

Avatar image for princessgomez92
PrincessGomez92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 201

#25  Edited By PrincessGomez92
Member since 2013 • 5747 Posts

TC is a moron.

g0ddyX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 g0ddyX
Member since 2005 • 3914 Posts

TC is right in what he says. But the loyal Nintendo fans would think its completely different and new.
The same old formula wont change and it works for Nintendo as kids and their fans are entertained and buy into it.
It is a rehash and it was one that works for them.

Gameplay and Graphics go hand in hand. The best games have that combination.
After all, you are 'seeing' a game and what is on the screen is what you see.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 deactivated-59b71619573a1

@imdaman4realz said:

@seanmcloughlin said:

They're not different enough that Nintendo doesnt need to make new IPs though. Sheep lately have been saying that there is no point of them making new IPs since everyvmario game already feels like a completely different game which isn't true at all.

Sheep for all intents and purposes of SW are fanboys of Nintendo and their games and therefore shouldn't be taken seriously. Just like Cows, Lems, Herms and any other fanboy period.

enzyme36

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 enzyme36
Member since 2007 • 5557 Posts

There is more innovation and originality in 1 stage of a Mario game than there is in most full games. So when you say Mario is Mario.... you are absolutely correct. Because Mario is the golden standard in fresh, innovative, original gameplay.

bobbetybob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#29  Edited By bobbetybob
Member since 2005 • 19370 Posts

I've never seen anybody say every Mario game feels different, in fact, them feeling similar is part of the appeal, you know you're going to be getting tight, fantastically designed platforming.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By deactivated-59b71619573a1

@bobbetybob said:

I've never seen anybody say every Mario game feels different, in fact, them feeling similar is part of the appeal, you know you're going to be getting tight, fantastically designed platforming.

let alone anyone saying it feels different enough to be a new IP every time

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 lundy86_4  Online
Member since 2003 • 61473 Posts

There are people far more educated on Mario than myself, who have, and will destroy your thread.

Avatar image for Nintendo_Ownes7
Nintendo_Ownes7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#32 Nintendo_Ownes7
Member since 2005 • 30973 Posts

@seanmcloughlin said:

@bobbetybob said:

Neither have I but I did say that Sunshine might have been better received if if it was a new IP.

It got a lot of hate because they thought it wasn't a good Mario game but it was one of the best Platformers of the 6th Generation it just wasn't what people thought when they thought of a Mario title.

Shinobishyguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Shinobishyguy
Member since 2006 • 22928 Posts

Mariokart and mario rpg are totally the same game guise, srsly

Gue1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#34  Edited By Gue1
Member since 2004 • 12171 Posts

on Mario 64 you enter to a paint and have some absolutely crazy platforming like never seen before.. On Mario Sunshine they completely changed the platforming with a water pump. On Mario Galaxy you run around spherical plains. On Mario 3D World they went back to something more traditional but with multiplayer.

Mario is the only Nintendo franchise that truly changes through time unlike all their others stuck with the same formula. If each game had a different character and name it could pass for new IP's and no one would notice it.

Ghost120x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Ghost120x
Member since 2009 • 6058 Posts

Okay. Your point?

Wild_man_22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Wild_man_22

@imdaman4realz:

Wait...so the problem you have is that they do distinguish themselves? Why wouldnt you want them to distinguish themselves?

The idea that nintendo doesnt make new ips because they shove everything into mario is ridiculous....

If that were the case why do they have so many other platforming franchises?

ImDaMan4Realz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 ImDaMan4Realz

@seanmcloughlin said:

@bobbetybob said:

Charizard

ImDaMan4Realz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 ImDaMan4Realz

@Wild_man_22 said:

@imdaman4realz:

Wait...so the problem you have is that they do distinguish themselves? Why wouldnt you want them to distinguish themselves?

The idea that nintendo doesnt make new ips because they shove everything into mario is ridiculous....

If that were the case why do they have so many other platforming franchises?

What besides kirby do they have? Metroid has been dead for awhile now.

Avatar image for Nintendo_Ownes7
Nintendo_Ownes7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Nintendo_Ownes7
Member since 2005 • 30973 Posts

@imdaman4realz said:

Metroid isn't dead if they made a new game in 2010.

It can't be dead if it has only been 3 years.

hiphops_savior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 hiphops_savior
Member since 2007 • 8535 Posts

@Nintendo_Ownes7 said:

@imdaman4realz said:

Metroid isn't dead if they made a new game in 2010.

It can't be dead if it has only been 3 years.

Well, Other M did flop, and Metroid Prime for all intents and purposes, is finished. I would say it's more of a hiatus than dead.

crimsonman1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 crimsonman1245
Member since 2011 • 4253 Posts

In Nintendo's defense, they do a pretty good job of making every new mario game different from the other's, most sequels we get from other publishers are pretty much exactly the same with different assets.

But they do rely on him to much.

HarlockJC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#42  Edited By HarlockJC
Member since 2006 • 25546 Posts

Your having a hard time finding any who agree with you. Most the people that would agree with you have not played the games. There is a reason why Mario games are ranked so high, and it's not because they all play the same. Do they all have common parts in them, yes they do. But there is must more of a differences between playing NSMW 4d than playing NSMB than any other sequels your going to find. It's like saying a 2d shooter is the same as a 3d shooter. Yet they have a lot in common, but they are still 2 complacently different styles of gameplay.

Meinhard1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Meinhard1
Member since 2010 • 6790 Posts

Mario Sunshine, Mario Galaxy, and Mario 3D world are three very different platformers with pretty different visual styles.

Sunshine

Galaxy

Mario 3D World

Or here, similar themes:

Meinhard1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Meinhard1
Member since 2010 • 6790 Posts

Or this, for music:

Two of the more recent 3D Mario gave us two great but very different lava level themes

Try listening to the first 30 seconds of each.

Mario Galaxy:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qJsXoRYptG8

Mario 3D:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vkEKa3LHRX8

drinkerofjuice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#45  Edited By drinkerofjuice
Member since 2007 • 4567 Posts

So it's different in the most important aspect? Good enough for me.

Avatar image for deactivated-58c8ef5f8044e
deactivated-58c8ef5f8044e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 deactivated-58c8ef5f8044e
Member since 2012 • 546 Posts

Wouldn't that logic go with most of today's games?

WitIsWisdom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#47 WitIsWisdom
Member since 2007 • 9531 Posts

There are so many games that could have or should have stayed a little more true to their roots and they would either STILL BE AROUND today or would be doing MUCH better. Nintendo makes a perfect example in the face that you CAN have subtle changes without completely rewriting the formula or breaking the mold.

Wild_man_22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Wild_man_22

@imdaman4realz:

Donkey kong country? Yoshi? kirby? thats 4 pretty distinct platformers.

If nintendo really shoved all their ideas in mario why do these games exist?

The reason nintendo releases so much mario branded stuff has more to do with their own lack of confidence in products. Not a lack of creativity.

ImDaMan4Realz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 ImDaMan4Realz

Damn would yall read the OP? Can yall read? I'm not trying to say that the mario games arent different enough, I'm saying that just because each game is somewhat different, doesnt mean they're different enough to say that new IPs arent needed.

zassimick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By zassimick  Moderator
@imdaman4realz said:

Damn would yall read the OP? Can yall read? I'm not trying to say that the mario games arent different enough, I'm saying that just because each game is somewhat different, doesnt mean they're different enough to say that new IPs arent needed.

@imdaman4realz said:

There was a reason I kept saying I was confused in my posts. Care to point out in the OP where it mentions the argument of people saying new IPs aren't needed? Maybe if it had that the conversation would be where you wanted it to be.

Even then, I'm not sure what your argument is. Is it that Nintendo just flat out needs to make new IPs? Should they be swapping out the Mario universe out of some of these games and putting in a new franchise in its place? Do they just need another platformer that is a new IP (as if they don't have enough of these now, with Mario, Kirby, Donkey Kong, and Wario at times.)

If your argument is simply, "just because each [Mario] game is somewhat different, doesnt mean they're different enough to say that new IPs arent needed," then I've seen a few people in the thread argue that not many people have stated this. When asked who you mentioned Charizard1605, which is just one person. It seems a small minority think this thought, therefore it doesn't seem like too many seem to hold this view that you have a problem with.