Mario Golf: World Tour | GS Review

#1 Edited by Slashkice (13008 posts) -

Mario Golf: World Tour revels in power-ups and fantastical courses, while frequently breaking its offerings into a series of portable-friendly bite-sized chunks that have you flitting from one exotic course to another. There's a lot of fun to be had here, and with classic Nintendo characters backing up the action, World Tour is a thoroughly charming game too. What a shame, then, that it lacks the cohesion and refinement to make those sometimes-brilliant moments easier to digest and access. But if you can plough through the awkwardness, and get to grips with its seemingly endless array of powerups, you'll find an enjoyable and loveable game of golf.

THE GOOD

Solid golfing mechanics reward player improvement

Varied courses with individual aesthetics

Wide range of content

THE BAD

Only three so-so courses unlocked from the start

Powerups and special courses are poorly explained

Clunky menu navigation

--

I tried the demo on the eShop and it's actually pretty fun. I'm sticking with Hot Shots Golf though as that satisfies any golfing itch I might have later.

Are you picking up Mario Golf, System Wars?

#2 Posted by Blabadon (25682 posts) -

Anything the 3DS does, the Vita does better

IGN gave it a good review, I might try it.

#3 Edited by Blabadon (25682 posts) -

Also, the reviewer lol

"Stace Harman has been playing video game golf for more than two decades, and played close to 20 hours of Mario Golf: World Tour for this review. The Vita version of Everybody's Golf is a mainstay of his handheld gaming, and he has very fond memories of 2004's Mario Golf on the GBA."

I'm actually having quite a good time playing Let's Golf 3 which is free on my phone, so I guess I'm part of the problem. :P

#4 Posted by darkspineslayer (19476 posts) -

I get to review it, the demo was fun enough though.

Still salty though, GCN and GBA were great as a set, wish they would do another RPG.

#5 Posted by WitIsWisdom (3655 posts) -

If this were on the WiiU it would have been a first day buy. It seems like everything I want to buy from Nintendo is on handhelds... and I don't like playing on little screens that much... that is why I rarely if ever play handhelds... even though I own them. My 65 inch tv would look good rocking this game.... but I guess it isn't going to happen.

#6 Posted by freedomfreak (38717 posts) -

The demo was fun. Surprisingly fun.

Not picking it up at the price it's at now.

#7 Posted by Bigboi500 (29132 posts) -

Probably not day one, but a sure buy asap.

#8 Posted by SolidGame_basic (16482 posts) -

oh great, another mario game for my 3ds

#9 Posted by 93BlackHawk93 (5198 posts) -

Meh golf games. I'm more excited for Kirby: Triple Deluxe.

#10 Posted by yokofox33 (29230 posts) -

Totally getting it. Seems like it plays like the N64/Gamecube versions, so it's a must buy for me. I absolutely adored the older games.

#11 Posted by charizard1605 (55524 posts) -

I played the demo (my first Mario Golf game) and was totally hooked. I'll definitely buy this, although probably not day one, since my May gaming money goes towards Kart.

#12 Edited by Zassimick (6245 posts) -

I miss Hot Shots Golf for PSone and PSP. Man, were those games fun. I'll have to try out the demo for this, didn't even realize there was one. :P

#13 Posted by Shinobishyguy (22358 posts) -

Not really a fan of golf (or sports games in general) so I'm gonna have to pass. Plus it comes out the same day as Kirby

#14 Edited by Wanderer5 (25668 posts) -

I like the demo a bit, through think I pass. I have always been more of Mario tennis fan than golf (too bad the new Mario tennis look like a disappointment -.-), but Mario golf 64 was good and this looks to be another good addition to the series.

And eeeeh Nintendo releasing both Mario Golf and Kirby next Friday? Probably would rather get Kirby too.

#15 Edited by lbjkurono23 (12544 posts) -

Solid score, not surprising though. Hot Shot Golf is superior in every way. Can't believe they screwed up the power ups. lol

Will get, just not day 1. There are better games to pick up right now.

#16 Edited by lbjkurono23 (12544 posts) -

Yeah, because they all play the same way.

#17 Edited by SolidGame_basic (16482 posts) -
#18 Posted by Wanderer5 (25668 posts) -

@SolidGame_basic said:

It been ten years since the last Mario golf game hasn't it? Heh that quite a while.

#19 Edited by blackace (20007 posts) -

The demo was fun. Surprisingly fun.

Not picking it up at the price it's at now.

Amazon.com has it for $29.99. I'll be preorder mine soon.

#20 Posted by lbjkurono23 (12544 posts) -

I miss Hot Shots Golf for PSone and PSP. Man, were those games fun. I'll have to try out the demo for this, didn't even realize there was one. :P

If you have a vita, I highly recommend getting Hot Shots Golf. It's $14 right now. Best $14 bucks you'll ever spend on a game.

#21 Posted by aroxx_ab (9219 posts) -

Mario lol...nah i think i just pick up some Tiger woods game from EA or something:D

#22 Edited by lbjkurono23 (12544 posts) -

@lbjkurono23 said:

@SolidGame_basic said:

It been ten years since the last Mario golf game hasn't it? Heh that quite a while.

It sure has. It was for the GBA.

#23 Posted by Zassimick (6245 posts) -

@Zassimick: get it for Vita

If you have a vita, I highly recommend getting Hot Shots Golf. It's $14 right now. Best $14 bucks you'll ever spend on a game.

I just might have to now. Been a long time since I played but it was a ton of fun back in the day. For $14 it would easily be worth it.