Man pays $700 for XboxOne on Ebay, gets piece of paper.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Edited by Jakandsigz (4512 posts) -

Wow..http://www.complex.com/video-games/2013/12/xbox-one-ebay-scam-piece-of-paper

Every time a new piece of shiny technology drops on the market scammers are ready to get the low hanging fruit of the Ebay economy. Unfortunately for Peter Clatworthy of Nottingham, UK he dropped £450, about $735, on what he thought was an Xbox One day-one edition but turned out to a baldy printed image of his dream machine.

The 19-year-old student saved up his shillings to buy an Xbox One for his four-year-old son, who absolutely kills atFIFA 14. Though when making his purchase on Ebay through what seemed like a quality vendor, he did notice the listing said “Photo of Xbox One Day-One Edition” Mr. Clatworthy still went all-in and got stiffed. What’s the worst part? It’s not even a good copy. Come on scammers! Would it kill you to get an ink jet printer?

Well, i mean did he check the description?

#2 Edited by JangoWuzHere (15930 posts) -

I'm pretty sure that is illegal. If he were to take him to court he would win easily.

#3 Posted by Zophar87 (4337 posts) -

Haha. Idiot.

#4 Posted by Jakandsigz (4512 posts) -

I'm pretty sure that is illegal. If he were to take him to court he would win easily.

Depends on the description. Because someone did that with the first Xbox and lost because it was in the description with "photo" in quotes all over it.

#5 Posted by cain006 (8625 posts) -

He's gonna get all his money back, ebay and paypal are very good about stuff like this.

#6 Posted by bobbetybob (19087 posts) -

Orrr he could just get his money back from Paypal like he did, since that's kind of the whole point of eBay using Paypal in the first place. Plus this is nothing new, people have been doing these kind of scams for years on ebay, only they're obviously pretty pointless now that Paypal is standard.

Also did anyone else find "The 19-year-old student saved up his shillings to buy an Xbox One for his four-year-old son" the standout line in this article. 15 year olds having kids always weirds me out.

#7 Posted by Trail_Mix (2021 posts) -

I'd expect nothing less from a guy with a 4 year child at the age of 19.

Was that in bad taste?

#8 Posted by Zophar87 (4337 posts) -

Was that in bad taste?

Nope. I thought the same exact thing. If he's dumb enough to have a child at 15 then he's dumb enough to neglect to read an item's description.

#9 Posted by k2theswiss (16598 posts) -

and it wasn't even a good copy of it :(

#10 Posted by lawlessx (46273 posts) -

thats ashame,but if he did it thru ebay/paypal he should be able to get that money back

#11 Edited by Legendaryscmt (12532 posts) -

The seller is a douche trying to take advantage of people and the buyer is a moron for not paying attention. Then again, looking over his track record, this won't be the last mistake he makes most likely.

#12 Posted by inb4uall (5149 posts) -

Typical idiot lemming.

#13 Posted by Chutebox (36216 posts) -

A 19 year old with a 4 year old kid? AND buying a X1 for a 4 year old???

#14 Posted by lundy86_4 (42663 posts) -

Genius. Still, this is the good thing about buying through Ebay/Paypal, or even CC... There are avenues to explore for reversing the transaction, or receiving the money back.

#15 Posted by Ghost120x (3652 posts) -

Always read the description. I bought bangai o spirits for ds and it was not a us version of the game, but luckily ds games aren't region locked.

#16 Posted by 23Jarek23 (2616 posts) -

Not sure what to feel bad about here. The fact that he got ripped off, the fact that his kid might not get an X1 for Christmas, or the fact that he's got a 4 year old at the age of 19.

All signs point to this guy being an idiot though, he probably ignored the description just like he did birth control.

#17 Posted by seanmcloughlin (38168 posts) -

Was that in bad taste?

I'd say it's completely relevant. Guy's clearly dumb

#18 Posted by Cyberdot (3510 posts) -

First of all, why the hell did he buy it from eBay?

#19 Posted by cain006 (8625 posts) -

Orrr he could just get his money back from Paypal like he did, since that's kind of the whole point of eBay using Paypal in the first place. Plus this is nothing new, people have been doing these kind of scams for years on ebay, only they're obviously pretty pointless now that Paypal is standard.

Also did anyone else find "The 19-year-old student saved up his shillings to buy an Xbox One for his four-year-old son" the standout line in this article. 15 year olds having kids always weirds me out.

I don't get why he said he wants it for his kid. A 4 year old will be more than satisfied with just a wii. He probably wants it for himself.

#20 Posted by bobbetybob (19087 posts) -
@cain006 said:

@bobbetybob said:

I don't get why he said he wants it for his kid. A 4 year old will be more than satisfied with just a wii. He probably wants it for himself.

Yeah it probably was just for himself. 4 year old's don't care about graphics and Zoo Tycoon/Skylanders (which are the only launch games I can think of suitable for a 4 year old) are both on 360.

#21 Posted by FinalFighters (1315 posts) -

The picture he is holding up of the XBONE is blurry and hard to see...it must be a 720p photo copy.

#22 Posted by rjdofu (9167 posts) -
#23 Posted by chikenfriedrice (9426 posts) -

The alarming part is someone paying that much for an X1 or any console for that matter.

#24 Posted by Kaze_no_Mirai (10893 posts) -

So, he saw that the description said "photo" and still went ahead and bought? :/

#25 Posted by Cyberdot (3510 posts) -

Considering that he has a 4 year old kid at the age of 19, I'm not surprised that he have yet to discover his sheer stupidity.

#26 Edited by Macutchi (3940 posts) -
#27 Posted by AutoPilotOn (7948 posts) -

Doesn't even look like the picture was in 1080p

#28 Edited by clr84651 (5285 posts) -

He got scammed. It happens to people. I bought a white PS3 controller that the seller showed the DS3 in white on E-bay and what I got was a cheap rip-off of the DS3. The seller lied about what he was selling.

#29 Edited by Daious (880 posts) -

@JangoWuzHere said:

its not. People do this on ebay all the time. I have seen empty console boxes sell for hundreds of dollars because people can't read. Most of the time the "empty" item say all sales are final and returns are not accepted.

#30 Posted by Mr-Kutaragi (1849 posts) -

"The 19-year-old student saved up his shillings to buy an Xbox One for his four-year-old son, who absolutely kills atFIFA 14. Though when making his purchase on Ebay through what seemed like a quality vendor, he did notice the listing said “Photo of Xbox One Day-One Edition” Mr. Clatworthy still went all-in and got stiffed."

Lemmings HAHAH.

#31 Posted by KHAndAnime (13165 posts) -

"The 19-year-old student saved up his shillings to buy an Xbox One for his four-year-old son, who absolutely kills atFIFA 14. Though when making his purchase on Ebay through what seemed like a quality vendor, he did notice the listing said “Photo of Xbox One Day-One Edition” Mr. Clatworthy still went all-in and got stiffed."

Lemmings HAHAH.

#32 Edited by Darth1337 (64 posts) -

Yes, let's all go ahead and berate the guy because we're all so clearly intellectually superior... </s>

Christ, even if the guy is a dolt, this is against eBay's Terms of Use anyways so it's not like he's left out in the cold.

#33 Posted by Fishsticklover (247 posts) -

Well he is a Lemming.

#34 Posted by lamprey263 (22453 posts) -

I've heard of these scams before, they take advantage of people who don't read the fine print. I think that's actually illegal in some areas I hope it was where this happened and his ass gets sued until it bleeds.

#35 Posted by babycakin (1400 posts) -

@Chutebox said:

A 19 year old with a 4 year old kid? AND buying a X1 for a 4 year old???

Dude trying to act like it's for his son. Homeboy knows its for him <.<

#36 Posted by RR360DD (11414 posts) -

Having a kid at 15. Buying a 4 year old an Xbox One. Taking a year to save up £450. Clearly on the dole, what a model human being.

#37 Posted by superclocked (5823 posts) -

I remember the guy that sold an XBox 360 box on eBay last gen. It was legit, since the title and description said XBox 360 Box, but it was still pretty shady...

#38 Edited by Animal-Mother (26224 posts) -

I'm sorry 6 threads in one day dude?

#39 Edited by Daious (880 posts) -

@RR360DD said:

Having a kid at 15. Buying a 4 year old an Xbox One. Taking a year to save up £450. Clearly on the dole, what a model human being.

not to mention he read that it said picture of xboxone and still bought it

#40 Posted by blackace (19745 posts) -

It's illegal and he already got his money back from PayPal. EBay & Paypal will go after the fraud seller and take him to court to recoup the funds. Crime doesn't pay.

#41 Posted by blackace (19745 posts) -

The alarming part is someone paying that much for an X1 or any console for that matter.

It always happens at launch time and during the holidays. Kiddies begging their rich parents for whichever console they want at any price. I'm sure I could sell both of my next-gen consoles for $700-$800 each on Ebay if I wanted to.

#42 Posted by Mr-Powers (142 posts) -

Shit is all fucked up.

#43 Posted by Travis_Odell (1701 posts) -

What if he's the 4 year old and his son is 19?

#44 Posted by BeardMaster (1580 posts) -

Its weird how people are willing to berate dumb people despite things like IQ being heavily tied to genetics, and largely out of a person's control.

However berating someone for their religion or sexual preference is considered a big taboo.

Cut the guy some slack, even if he aint the brightest bulb he cant be all bad if he saved up his dough just to make his kid happy on christmas.