Mainstream media are covering MS sleazy youtube campaign

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#2 Posted by FoxbatAlpha (4646 posts) -

Good for MS. Finally taking a stand and showing some balls. I'm gonna go start a YouTube channel right now and sign up for this. Thanks for posting.

THE ONE is the greatest console ever made. XB1M13

#3 Posted by shawn30 (3722 posts) -

Lol, expose everyone is what I say. Find every major company that's doing it, and put a end to it. But do understand this whole contract lasted all of two days and ended on Jan 16. The contract should have never contained a non-disclosure clause so that if you watched the video you would know that person was being paid by MS. Sadly, corporations do this all the time. At worst MS gets a fine out of this as no ones made any substantial money from it and it lasted all of 48 hours. This type of marketing practice is sleazy. But it happens all the time. Of course SonyGaf is going nuts cause it always does. Hopefully MS will release their statement before the end of the day.

#4 Edited by Chutebox (35691 posts) -

@shawn30: Just read an article on my phone that days it goes to early February

#5 Edited by lundy86_4 (41673 posts) -

Cows are getting hilarious with this. Aren't you taking this a little personally, TC? Dude, your girlfriend is beating your sworn enemy in sales.

#6 Posted by shawn30 (3722 posts) -

@Chutebox said:

@shawn30: Just read an article on my phone that days it goes to early February

It was supposed too, but they reached whatever number they were looking for on Jan 16. So its been over since then.

#7 Edited by Heil68 (40564 posts) -

More nefarious actions by MS. When will they embrace the Live, Learn and Love lifestyle.

#8 Posted by blue_hazy_basic (26708 posts) -

Man I'm so glad that Sony wouldn't pull anything like this ... wait whats that you say, they have? You mean they created their own fake sites and reviewers? Huh who'd have thunk it.

#9 Edited by shawn30 (3722 posts) -

@Heil68 said:

More nefarious actions by MS. When will they embrace the Live, Learn and Love lifestyle.

Lol, they only embrace the "GetMoney" mentality. Hey, I'm gonna PM you about the podcasts. I am interested.

#10 Posted by Heil68 (40564 posts) -

@shawn30 said:

@Heil68 said:

Lol, they only embrace the "GetMoney" mentality. Hey, I'm gonna PM you about the podcasts. I am interested.

Awesome! We just did a SONY cast, it would be great to do a MS one, I still have my friend request pending on Live too!

#11 Posted by Dire_Weasel (15599 posts) -

Cows are getting hilarious with this. Aren't you taking this a little personally, TC? Dude, your girlfriend is beating your sworn enemy in sales.

Cows. Yes. Every news outlet linked in the OP is from "Cows". You nailed it.

Not much of actual relevance is actually discussed in the cesspool that is SW, but Microsoft running paid advertisements on youtube without full disclosure appears to be the rare exception.

#12 Edited by shawn30 (3722 posts) -

@Heil68 said:

@shawn30 said:

@Heil68 said:

Awesome! We just did a SONY cast, it would be great to do a MS one, I still have my friend request pending on Live too!

Will hit you up later today.

#13 Posted by TheEroica (12750 posts) -

@lundy86_4: I lol'd

Gamers get so offended like any of this matters... The x box isn't pulling some plot to expose the secrets of the government or covering up the cure for cancer, they're trying to sell entertainment... Simply don't buy it if you don't think what they sell is worth your hard earned money.

#14 Edited by shawn30 (3722 posts) -
#15 Posted by lundy86_4 (41673 posts) -

Cows. Yes. Every news outlet linked in the OP is from "Cows". You nailed it.

Not much of actual relevance is actually discussed in the cesspool that is SW, but Microsoft running paid advertisements on youtube without full disclosure appears to be the rare exception.

Yes, because that was my argument. I'm talking on this board, which is where the term is for. Certain Cows are being a little ridiculous.

Gamers get so offended like any of this matters... The x box isn't pulling some plot to expose the secrets of the government or covering up the cure for cancer, they're trying to sell entertainment... Simply don't buy it if you don't think what they sell is worth your hard earned money.

Seriously. It's a decent idea, if not a little sketchy, but people are taking it like someone came into their house and murdered their family. Gue actually posted an uinteresting video in the other thread, which is Francis explaining how the situation works.

#16 Edited by BlessedChill (676 posts) -

I will never buy a MS product again! Those corporate villains!!!!!!1!1!1!1

#17 Edited by TheEroica (12750 posts) -

@TheEroica said:

Seriously. It's a decent idea, if not a little sketchy, but people are taking it like someone came into their house and murdered their family. Gue actually posted an uinteresting video in the other thread, which is Francis explaining how the situation works.

It's only a bad idea to those who support the company that didn't think of it first... Need I bring up Sony spamming the Halo 3 wikipedia page in gen7 by stealthily posting inaccuracies about the game and its features? Get off your cross cows... someone else needs the wood, for realz.

#18 Posted by lundy86_4 (41673 posts) -

It's only a bad idea to those who support the company that didn't think of it first... Need I bring up Sony spamming the Halo 3 wikipedia page in gen7 by stealthily posting inaccuracies about the game and its features? Get off your cross cows... someone else needs the wood, for realz.

Oh man, I completely forgot about that.

#19 Posted by LJS9502_basic (148629 posts) -

Eh....is it not illegal to do what they are doing?

#20 Posted by TheEroica (12750 posts) -

@TheEroica said:

I honestly don't know... its just more fodder for the soup. Show me a corperation and following behind it will be a laundry list of shady consumer practices. If it's "illegal" then MS should be prosecuted I suppose, though as I mentioned above to Lundy, just a few years ago we were making threads about SONY sending paid employees into manipulate Halo3's wikipedia page as well as spam forums etc. I'd say if you wanted to point and laugh at MS, cool... im down with that, but nobody should be claiming the moral high ground over the sale of multi billion dollar investments into these machines... they'll do anything to sell em.

#21 Edited by betamaxx83 (337 posts) -

What a magical device the Xflop is

#22 Posted by SEANMCAD (5464 posts) -

wait no Fox Newz?

#23 Posted by I_can_haz (5726 posts) -

Xbone continues to get dominated by PS4 despite M$'s best efforts. When will M$ learn they can't buy customers' good will, they have to earn it. Sony has gained gamers' respect with the LIve, Learn, and Love philosophy and by the gamers for gamers mantra. M$ started last gen good but quickly turned into greedy schmucks when they felt they had gained the customers they wanted. They started out this gen by trying scam gamers with always online DRM and now that that backfired they have returned to paying for positive comments on Youtube like that will help them lol.

#24 Edited by betamaxx83 (337 posts) -

Is it a surprise folks? Microsoft is an American company. Americans deal with their problems by "giving out" money to solve their issues and garner support.

#25 Edited by Krelian-co (9133 posts) -

they are literally having to pay people to gather support and don't say how bad xbone is or that they are getting paid. Disgusting

#26 Posted by hrt_rulz01 (4971 posts) -

It's a dumb move by MS, that's for sure.

But like I said in the other thread, you'd be naïve to think that MS are the only ones who have done it.

#27 Posted by BlessedChill (676 posts) -

Microsoft really is scared thier console will flop.

At this point they'll be lucky for 4.2 million lifetime sales.

#28 Posted by Krelian-co (9133 posts) -

@shawn30 said:

Lol, expose everyone is what I say. Find every major company that's doing it, and put a end to it. But do understand this whole contract lasted all of two days and ended on Jan 16. The contract should have never contained a non-disclosure clause so that if you watched the video you would know that person was being paid by MS. Sadly, corporations do this all the time. At worst MS gets a fine out of this as no ones made any substantial money from it and it lasted all of 48 hours. This type of marketing practice is sleazy. But it happens all the time. Of course SonyGaf is going nuts cause it always does. Hopefully MS will release their statement before the end of the day.

BUT BUT BUT THEY ALL DO IT!!!!!!!!! damn you haven't lost the touch of making me laugh at your dumb excuses.

#29 Posted by Jakandsigz (4512 posts) -

When no actual TV news outlet wlll jump out and grab this story you know that the people complaining have either a few screws lose or blaming the wrong company.

Microsoft is also practically ignoring everyone who is complaining about it because i am 100% sure they know that had nothing to do with this or there is a misunderstanding.

But when microsft does things, it must be top priority and they are clearly to blame for everything like Afghanistan.

I am not saying that they did not do this, i am saying there is nothing there to prove they did and no one is grabbing this story because half the complaints are jumping to random conclusions. For all you know Machina did this by themselves and since MS has a history of not racking their partners, I would not e surprised.

If they, soon, are actually shown to have done it it would actually make them look stupid because it does not make sense to risk something like that when the only lead your competitor had/has is 1.2 million.

But this seems way overreacted. There isn't even enough to jump to the conclusion and no court would do anything about that now. Because there is nothing there (as of now0 that connects anything anybody is accusing microsoft of.

It's literally how a few years back everyone was on Activision about various things to the point where it was insane pure hatred (mostly from the gaming community, casuals could give a no shits) and nothing happened because there was nothing there.

Only EA got a shaft and that was one time in the early 2000's.

#30 Posted by mariokart64fan (19331 posts) -

I TELL YOU WHAT nintendos already working on

FUSION DS

CPU: ARMv8-A Cortex-A53 GPU: Custom Adreno 420-based AMD GPU

COM MEMORY: 3 GB LPDDR3 (2 GB Games, 1 GB OS)

>2 130 mm DVGA (960 x 640) Capacitive Touchscreen

>Slide Out Design with Custom Swivel Tilt Hinge

>Upper Screen made of Gorilla Glass, Comes with Magnetic Cover

>Low End Vibration for Gameplay and App Alerts

>2 Motorized Circle Pads for Haptic Feedback

>Thumbprint Security Scanner with Pulse Sensing Feedback

>2 1mp Stereoptic Cameras

>Multi-Array Microphone

>A, B, X, Y, D-Pad, L, R, 1, 2 Buttons

>3 Axis Tuning Fork Gyroscope, 3 Axis Accelerometer, Magnetometer

>NFC Reader

>3G Chip with GPS Location

>Bluetooth v4.0 BLE Command Node used to Interface with Bluetooth Devices such as Cell Phones, Tablets

>16 Gigabytes of Internal Flash Storage (Possible Future Unit With 32 Gigbytes)

>Nintendo 3DS Cart Slot

>SDHC “Holographic Enhanced” Card Slot up to 128 Gigabyte Limit

>Mini USB I/O

>3300 mAh Li-Ion battery

FUSION TERMINAL

GPGPU: Custom Radeon HD RX 200 GPU CODENAME LADY (2816 shaders @ 960 MHz, 4.60 TFLOP/s, Fillrates: 60.6 Gpixel/s, 170 Gtexel/s)

CPU: IBM 64-Bit Custom POWER 8-Based IBM 8-Core Processor CODENAME JUMPMAN (2.2 GHz, Shared 6 MB L4 cache)

Co-CPU: IBM PowerPC 750-based 1.24 GHz Tri-Core Co-Processor CODENAME HAMMER

MEMORY:

4 Gigabytes of Unified DDR4 SDRAM CODENAME KONG, 2 GB DDR3 RAM @ 1600 MHz

(12.8 GB/s) On Die CODENAMED BARREL

>802.11 b/g/n Wireless

>Bluetooth v4.0 BLE

>2 USB 3.0

>1 Coaxial Cable Input

>1 CableCARD Slot

>4 Custom Stream-Interface Nodes up to 4 Wii U GamePads or 4 DSc

>Versions with Disk Drive play Wii U Optical Disk (4 Layers Maximum), FUSION Holographic Versatile Disc (HVD) and Nintendo 3DS Card Slot.

>1 HDMI 2.0 1080p/4K Port

>Dolby TrueHD 5.1 or 7.1 Surround Sound

>Inductive Charging Surface for up to 4 FUSION DS or IC-Wii Remote Plus Controllers

>Two versions: Disk Slot Version with 60 Gigs of Internal Flash Storage and Diskless Version with 300 Gigs of Internal Flash Storage.

so they are going to need all the publicity they can get , cAUSE ONCE THE NEW DS IS OUT AND THE NEXT WII , NO BODY WILL WANT XBOX ONE

#31 Edited by Krelian-co (9133 posts) -

video creators were not permitted to say "anything negative or disparaging about Machinima, Xbox One, or any of its games". Participants were also prohibited from mentioning the promotional agreement to be eligible for payment.

#32 Edited by charizard1605 (52774 posts) -

FUSION DS

>Multi-Array Microphone

>NFC Reader

>Bluetooth v4.0 BLE Command Node used to Interface with Bluetooth Devices such as Cell Phones, Tablets

>Nintendo 3DS Cart Slot

>Mini USB I/O

>3300 mAh Li-Ion battery

FUSION TERMINAL

GPGPU: Custom Radeon HD RX 200 GPU CODENAME LADY (2816 shaders @ 960 MHz, 4.60 TFLOP/s, Fillrates: 60.6 Gpixel/s, 170 Gtexel/s)

CPU: IBM 64-Bit Custom POWER 8-Based IBM 8-Core Processor CODENAME JUMPMAN (2.2 GHz, Shared 6 MB L4 cache)

MEMORY:

>802.11 b/g/n Wireless

>Bluetooth v4.0 BLE

>2 USB 3.0

>1 Coaxial Cable Input

>1 CableCARD Slot

>Versions with Disk Drive play Wii U Optical Disk (4 Layers Maximum), FUSION Holographic Versatile Disc (HVD) and Nintendo 3DS Card Slot.

>Inductive Charging Surface for up to 4 FUSION DS or IC-Wii Remote Plus Controllers

>Two versions: Disk Slot Version with 60 Gigs of Internal Flash Storage and Diskless Version with 300 Gigs of Internal Flash Storage.

so they are going to need all the publicity they can get , cAUSE ONCE THE NEW DS IS OUT AND THE NEXT WII , NO BODY WILL WANT XBOX ONE

Are you fucking high?

#33 Posted by GrenadeLauncher (2280 posts) -

You know things are bad when even lems can't defend this.

#34 Posted by the_bi99man (10916 posts) -

@TheEroica said:

Honestly, probably not. Microsoft is one of the most wealthy corporations in the world, and you can be sure they have an entire army of the best lawyers money can buy. An army of lawyers who's sole job is to go over things like this with a fine-toothed comb and clear them, before giving the go-ahead to actually launch the campaign. It may seem kind of shady on the surface, and it really is, but I guarantee that underneath it all, there is some kind of legalese that makes it, technically, perfectly legal.

#35 Posted by navyguy21 (12539 posts) -

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/sony-pays-for-fake-reviews/

And again,

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/4741259.stm

Its only bad when MS does it...

#36 Edited by mems_1224 (44803 posts) -

@LJS9502_basic said:

@TheEroica said:

Honestly, probably not. Microsoft is one of the most wealthy corporations in the world, and you can be sure they have an entire army of the best lawyers money can buy. An army of lawyers who's sole job is to go over things like this with a fine-toothed comb and clear them, before giving the go-ahead to actually launch the campaign. It may seem kind of shady on the surface, and it really is, but I guarantee that underneath it all, there is some kind of legalese that makes it, technically, perfectly legal.

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2014/01/21/microsoft-and-machinima-respond-to-concerns-over-advertising-promotion.aspx

"Reaction across social media and a number of publications cited two issues of concern. The first is that YouTube personalities were accepting money for sponsorship, a practice that seems to be common. The second is a confidentiality clause in the Machinima agreement, which appears now to have been misinterpreted as a gag order preventing participants from disclosing the existence of the deal."

#37 Edited by SolidTy (40431 posts) -

There is a lot of corporate apologists in SW. Lying is good, make money, etc. Those despicable marketing cases from any companies past can suck for those companies, and many of them I was in those threads when they were new topics in SW. Right now in Jan 2014, the relevant issue is this Stealth Youtube promotions for Xbone. We can hide from this by pointing at Betty Crocker, Ford, Sony, Nintendo, Activision, EA, Edge cases, King.com...or we can accept this situation right now.

DENIAL is the first step in the five stages of grief.

I SEE WAY TOO MUCH DENIAL in these threads. I see some ANGER, which is the second stage, so some progress is made. I see some BARGAINING as the third. I'd like to see us move to the fifth step of ACCEPTANCE when you are ready SW. Skip Depression, just accept that one of your fave company got caught in the back alley with hookers, and move on because they'll make some good games you can play later. Don't fret, SW Darlings. I know for a fact, some SWarriors never move to acceptance, they ride the wave of DENIAL and ANGER until some other news breaks.

Do you your part and be a big brother/sister to System Wars Children today! *Cue Sarah McLachlan music*

@the_bi99man said:

@LJS9502_basic said:

@TheEroica said:

Well, this is from the horse's mouth (M$) who do seem to have a problem with it:

"That didn’t happen here and we’re evaluating why," the statement said. "All participants are being asked today to include our standard language going-forward. We apologize for the error and any confusion."

and

"We have asked Machinima to not post any additional Xbox One content as part of this media buy and we have asked them to add disclaimers to the videos that were part of this program indicating they were part of paid advertising.”

---

Those also answer the question that seems to pop up again and again these last few days, for all those debating back and forth over whether they were really required to disclose...

M$ didn't expect to get caught, and this thing blow up in their face. These things happen as people repeatedly point out. Another PR disaster perhaps, but whatevs. I don't care, I'm not offended by this...but some passionate responses, armchair, acne faced corporate apologists, and a few posts screaming denial to pique my interest, ever so slightly.

Microsoft: "We are sorry, but also...We did NOT do it, ask Machinima?!"

Machinima: "Something went wrong...*gulp* We are terribly sorry we forgot to tell our channels."

What is also worth note is that Machinima has done many, many Xbox Promotions in the past, but this new nondisclosure bit was added for this promo. Somebody somewhere changed this promotion. Damage control is expected, but if this was allowed and acceptable behavior as many here are trying to argue...don't bother. Both companies are denying responsibility and apologizing for this matter.

#38 Posted by whiskeystrike (12068 posts) -

FUSION DS

>Multi-Array Microphone

>NFC Reader

>Nintendo 3DS Cart Slot

>Mini USB I/O

>3300 mAh Li-Ion battery

FUSION TERMINAL

MEMORY:

>802.11 b/g/n Wireless

>Bluetooth v4.0 BLE

>2 USB 3.0

>1 Coaxial Cable Input

>1 CableCARD Slot

Please never stop posting.

#39 Posted by Gargus (2147 posts) -

So you justify a company paying for false information to mislead millions of consumers who will never learn of this? So Microsoft as a company pays for lies and your response is "Don't buy it then" and then casually walk away. This is a prime example of why shit like this goes on, because everyone just shrugs and walks off.

There was a time when companies actually treated their customers like they were indeed "the customer" and did everything they could to earn their money. But now we are shocked when we get customer service that isn't horrible, we let companies outright to everyone, we put up with inferior products, we let ourselves get nickel and dimed to death and just generally treated like we are shit and companies are gods all because of mentalities like the statement I quoted.

20 years ago Microsoft would have fined and sued for doing something like that. Now thanks to overly passive consumers they wont see an ounce of backlash for paying for false information in order to mislead unaware consumers into buying a product that is being improperly represented.

You sell entertainment by advertising your product and make a product worth paying for, you don't sell it by lying to people. But that's the American mentality of "fuck it" then lazily wandering off to something else while making up excuses to justify why they are being lied to without a single care.

#40 Posted by lostrib (26458 posts) -

@the_bi99man said:

@LJS9502_basic said:

@TheEroica said:

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2014/01/21/microsoft-and-machinima-respond-to-concerns-over-advertising-promotion.aspx

"Reaction across social media and a number of publications cited two issues of concern. The first is that YouTube personalities were accepting money for sponsorship, a practice that seems to be common. The second is a confidentiality clause in the Machinima agreement, which appears now to have been misinterpreted as a gag order preventing participants from disclosing the existence of the deal."

Once again, the internet making mountains out of mole hills

#41 Posted by handssss (1337 posts) -

Good for MS. Finally taking a stand and showing some balls. I'm gonna go start a YouTube channel right now and sign up for this. Thanks for posting.

THE ONE is the greatest console ever made. XB1M13

they won't pay you for your ass kissing if you aren't popular enough to get enough views.

#42 Posted by lostrib (26458 posts) -

@Gargus said:

@TheEroica said:

So you justify a company paying for false information to mislead millions of consumers who will never learn of this? So Microsoft as a company pays for lies and your response is "Don't buy it then" and then casually walk away. This is a prime example of why shit like this goes on, because everyone just shrugs and walks off.

There was a time when companies actually treated their customers like they were indeed "the customer" and did everything they could to earn their money. But now we are shocked when we get customer service that isn't horrible, we let companies outright to everyone, we put up with inferior products, we let ourselves get nickel and dimed to death and just generally treated like we are shit and companies are gods all because of mentalities like the statement I quoted.

20 years ago Microsoft would have fined and sued for doing something like that. Now thanks to overly passive consumers they wont see an ounce of backlash for paying for false information in order to mislead unaware consumers into buying a product that is being improperly represented.

You sell entertainment by advertising your product and make a product worth paying for, you don't sell it by lying to people. But that's the American mentality of "fuck it" then lazily wandering off to something else while making up excuses to justify why they are being lied to without a single care.

Where is there evidence of any of these things?

#43 Posted by getyeryayasout (6414 posts) -

Microsoft may have inadvertently created a situation were positive reviews and news posted on Youtube regarding X1 are regarded as "fake" and inaccurate, or are just flat out ignored since there is no way of knowing if the positive reviews are paid for or not, and only negative Youtube posts are regarded as "real" and honest. Or maybe it's a big ol' of Nothin' at theend of the day. Public perception can be fickle, just ask Richard Sherman. #LOB

#44 Edited by Crossel777 (5593 posts) -

PS4 doesn't need fake positive news, it already has the real thing. This deception wont do a damn thing for xbone.