LTTP: TLOU aka masterpiece that wont be topped (spoilers)

• 132 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#51 Posted by bbkkristian (14946 posts) -

It's very likely that it's the best In its genre, but it's most definitely not the best game ever.

#52 Posted by ghostwarrior786 (4264 posts) -

@deadline-zero0: i actually read all of that :) sounds like u just like uncharted faster paced gameplay more. to me tlou shits all over uncharted in every department and i love the slower pace of the game

@ghostwarrior786

I'm talking about 50 threads justlike this one last year.

read the first sentence of op, 'seeing as how tlou remastered just released i figured the people who just played the game can discuss it.'. if u are tired of repeating yourself here is a thought, stop commenting on tlou threads, u are under no obligation to do so.

#53 Posted by Lulu_Lulu (11424 posts) -

@ghostwarrior786

No significant changes... Feel free to discususs resoultion, textures and framerates.... Other than that... All has been discussed...

#54 Posted by ghostwarrior786 (4264 posts) -

@ghostwarrior786

No significant changes... Feel free to discususs resoultion, textures and framerates.... Other than that... All has been discussed...

discussed by people that played it at that time. this is my first time playing it and because the remasted edition just released it will be the first time many have experienced the game. again, if u dont want to discuss dont comment. its really that simple.

#55 Edited by Lulu_Lulu (11424 posts) -

@ghostwarrior786

Fine !..... Twas an good game with a few flaws and brilliant story. It should have had co-op.

#56 Posted by ghostwarrior786 (4264 posts) -

@ghostwarrior786

Fine !..... Twas an good game with a few flaws and brilliant story. It should have had co-op.

there u go, wasnt hard was it. personally not a fan of co-op, it just isnt as engaging to me as single player games. also i dont have friends :(

#57 Edited by shadiezz2012 (2569 posts) -

i agree

the game is pure awesome and it's my GOTG...and it up there with best games ever for sure but calling it THE best game ever is very subjective

#58 Edited by DEadliNE-Zero0 (1922 posts) -

@deadline-zero0: i actually read all of that :) sounds like u just like uncharted faster paced gameplay more. to me tlou shits all over uncharted in every department and i love the slower pace of the game

Thanks for reading :) Honestly no. I liked Uncharted, more than TLOU, but didn't love it. Like i said,, my main issue is the contrast between the "slow paced cutscene narrative, which tends to focus on character development more, and "action gameplay", which, while still allowing for characters to interact, is more about the action oriented gameplay for obvious reasons.

In movies, series and booksm alot of, if not more, time is devoted to character interaction, and less fighting. In games, because that's how it is with development nowadays, more action sequences are needed, so it's up to the cutscenes to take care of that interaction, mostly. That's what i find to clash. The game is indeed slower paced and less bombastic than UC and other games, but, i felt it need to be even slower, with more light moments arounds.

But that's just me. Like i said, i still recomend the game. I did like, just couldn't find it to connect well enough to be a 10/10 game of the generation. If you enjoy it that much, that's awesome.

#59 Edited by Lulu_Lulu (11424 posts) -

@ghostwarrior786

I do... Friends are overated... :p

The game is at its best on Hard.... The other 2 difficulties on top of that raise certain bumps in the game's design.... Have you watched how the AI moves when the search for you ?

#60 Posted by kingtito (4903 posts) -

@kingtito said:

@ghostwarrior786 said:

@kingtito said:

Cow circle jerk for a game that was good but hardly the best of gen 7.

nothing x360 has rivals this campaign and i say this as someone who bought x360 on launch and has played through all its major exclusives.

That would be YOUR opinion though. One that not everyone would agree with. Like I said, TLOU is a good game 8/10 personally but for me it's not the best game of gen 7. I preferred Dark Souls to TLOU

oh so u understand the concept of opinion but refer to people who may see this as one of the greatest games as cows? interesting. tlou being the greatest game is arguable but it being the best tps ever made isnt even arguable. its blows uncharted/gears and all that crap out the water

Where did I reference cows in this thread because they liked TLOU?

Everything you said IS arguable AND YOUR opinion. It doesn't make it fact because YOU think it does. You're biased and frankly a cow. Most of your opinions mean nothing because you're so biased. This is no different.

You keep throwing around YOUR opinion off as fact and the rest of us non cows will see it for what it is.......YOUR opinion.

#61 Edited by ghostwarrior786 (4264 posts) -

@deadline-zero0 said:

@ghostwarrior786 said:

Thanks for reading :) Honestly no. I liked Uncharted, more than TLOU, but didn't love it. Like i said,, my main issue is the contrast between the "slow paced cutscene narrative, which tends to focus on character development more, and "action gameplay", which, while still allowing for characters to interact, is more about the action oriented gameplay for obvious reasons.

In movies, series and booksm alot of, if not more, time is devoted to character interaction, and less fighting. In games, because that's how it is with development nowadays, more action sequences are needed, so it's up to the cutscenes to take care of that interaction, mostly. That's what i find to clash. The game is indeed slower paced and less bombastic than UC and other games, but, i felt it need to be even slower, with more light moments arounds.

But that's just me. Like i said, i still recomend the game. I did like, just couldn't find it to connect well enough to be a 10/10 game of the generation. If you enjoy it that much, that's awesome.

i thought it done a great job with balancing its gameplay and its story narrative. i felt like most encounters were about surviving so most times i took the stealth approach because bullets do so much damage and getting behind the enemy is the most effective strategy. i think if u played on the harder difficulty maybe u would have taken the stealth approach too. i played it on normal mode but i play games stealthy when given the option anyway but on hard mode its prob a necessity.

@Lulu_Lulu said:

@ghostwarrior786

I do... Friends are overated... :p

The game is at its best on Hard.... The other 2 difficulties on top of that raise certain bumps in the game's design.... Have you watched how the AI moves when the search for you ?

not played on hard yet but on normal the ai is sometimes batshit insane. many times i see someone just sprinting back and forth and i was left thinking wtf. and sometimes ellie was clearly right in front of the ai but she goes unnoticed. it really annoys me how naughty dog hasnt fixed these issues for remastered edition.

#62 Posted by tormentos (17665 posts) -

@blackace said:

I owned PS1, PS2, PS3, PS4, PSVita & PSP and I still don't consider TLOU a masterpiece. lol!! It got awards mostly for the voice acting, story it told and how gamers were able to interact with it. The graphics, gameplay and AI were mostly fair to good. Super Mario Galaxy 1 & 2 are more of a masterpiece then TLOU.

I see so you don't have a game on xbox to counter it so you go wii...hahahahahaa

#63 Posted by Lulu_Lulu (11424 posts) -

@ghostwarrior786

The thing with Ellie is not really a problem unless she gets in your way, getting me exposed...

Anyway... The part I'm talking about was with Sam and Henry, at some point the four of you come across an enemy lookout spot with a generator. I played it on The Survivor/Survival Difficulty, The AI doesn't search randomly for you.... They don't spread out.... They will slowly move towards your general direction in unisan, like a hive mind, as if they already know where you are.

#64 Edited by ghostwarrior786 (4264 posts) -

@Lulu_Lulu said:

@ghostwarrior786

The thing with Ellie is not really a problem unless she gets in your way, getting me exposed...

Anyway... The part I'm talking about was with Sam and Henry, at some point the four of you come across an enemy lookout spot with a generator. I played it on The Survivor/Survival Difficulty, The AI doesn't search randomly for you.... They don't spread out.... They will slowly move towards your general direction in unisan, like a hive mind, as if they already know where you are.

haha that would look pretty hilarious. the ai is the only major gripe i have with this game. hopefully they learn and improve for next game

@kingtito said:

@ghostwarrior786 said:

@kingtito said:

@ghostwarrior786 said:

@kingtito said:

nothing x360 has rivals this campaign and i say this as someone who bought x360 on launch and has played through all its major exclusives.

That would be YOUR opinion though. One that not everyone would agree with. Like I said, TLOU is a good game 8/10 personally but for me it's not the best game of gen 7. I preferred Dark Souls to TLOU

oh so u understand the concept of opinion but refer to people who may see this as one of the greatest games as cows? interesting. tlou being the greatest game is arguable but it being the best tps ever made isnt even arguable. its blows uncharted/gears and all that crap out the water

Everything you said IS arguable AND YOUR opinion. It doesn't make it fact because YOU think it does. You're biased and frankly a cow. Most of your opinions mean nothing because you're so biased. This is no different.

You keep throwing around YOUR opinion off as fact and the rest of us non cows will see it for what it is.......YOUR opinion.

'Cow circle jerk for a game that was good but hardly the best of gen 7' - yep that u calling anyone who thinks this game is the best of gen 7 a cow haha and im a cow because i bought x360 at launch and going to be buying x1 when halo collection releases? haha ok

#65 Posted by Lulu_Lulu (11424 posts) -

@ghostwarrior786

The AI was fantastic... The flaws only seem like a big deal because they were so close to perfecting it.... The Infected on the other hand were dull and uninspired, they should have never had them in the 1st place.

#66 Edited by ghostwarrior786 (4264 posts) -

@ghostwarrior786

The AI was fantastic... The flaws only seem like a big deal because they were so close to perfecting it.... The Infected on the other hand were dull and uninspired, they should have never had them in the 1st place.

no way!! i dont even like zombie games but i enjoyed how they were implemented here. 1 thing that annoys me is when doing a stealth kill the enemy makes alot of noise yet no one else seems to notice not even the clickers. minor flaws but u have to nitpick because its great game. might give re4 a go now when it hits steam sales, tlou got me in mood for some zombie games

#67 Edited by Lulu_Lulu (11424 posts) -

@ghostwarrior786

But they were stupid :(

I hate braindead AI.

#68 Posted by Blabadon (26138 posts) -

@ghostwarrior786: The game, when it first puts you with Tess, starts out as a boring cover shooter.

Also I can appreciate the gameplay, thank you very much. Doesn't make the stealth sections that good either way.

#69 Edited by Nengo_Flow (9640 posts) -

@kingtito said:

#70 Posted by cainetao11 (17281 posts) -

@lostrib said:

@Blabadon said:

Pacing isn't near perfect. The game introduces itself twice, once as a cliche cinematic section where you know what will happen, and a second time as a boring chest high wall TPS. Takes a few hours to get going where it gets really good. After Bill's town the game significantly picks up.

I really loved exploring the remnants of houses with Sam and his brother. But after a point, clicker sections just annoyed me. They lacked that openness of the human sections and I'm not a stealth guy. I was happy the last clicker section had a lot of gameplay afterwards because the hospital was one of the best part of the game.

As a story it's good, not great. Wasn't particularly attached to Ellie or Joel, and the supporting characters were more interesting. Also found the AI really dumb. Like awfully dumb.

Overall, it was a great game. 8/10

Oh lord, that last section that's just clickers and bloaters can go eat a dick.

That on hard difficulty is unreal. Great game.

#71 Posted by GoldenElementXL (2955 posts) -

The story in TLOU was probably the best since Mass Effect for me personally. The gameplay however was nothing special. (Imo of course) I am playing through the Remaster now and having played through the story before makes the experience much less special. 60 fps is a HUGE bonus, but things like the special ed A.I. are exposed even more when I'm not as engaged with the story.

I am actually jealous of those playing TLOU for the first time. Don't take that frame rate for granted!

#72 Posted by jg4xchamp (47846 posts) -

I love it, but I'd also agree with Blab the opening stretch of that game is pretty weak. Because it feels like the game doesn't trust you to do more than the most rudimentary of encounters. It's not super boring or anything, but like from Bill's town forward you get the impression that two different directors took over from a design direction stand point. The early portion is linear to the point of being insulting, and the later levels have more freedom in their encounter design. More space to work with, and a better balance between action and stealth.

The atmosphere is fantastic for the most part, but I'd argue the level by level nature never really captures being in a place the way more open world/singular environment worlds feel. But that's a matter of preference at that point. The Last of Us's atmosphere otherwise is terrific. Great audio design across the board between weapon audio, ambient noise, clickers and how they sound, etc. Art direction is consistent in creating a destroyed beauty aesthetic without needing to go super grey with it.

The gunplay I absolutely adore. I think it's incredibly satisfying because of the recoil, the sway, and the deliberate animations. The reasons that type of shit doesn't fly in like a shooter like Uncharted 3 or Killzone is because those games encounters are meant to be more about precise and quick shooting. The Last of Us you have deliberate mechanics meant to stop you from spraying and praying, but so do your enemies. Plus it forces you to be sneaky during infected scenarios, and makes genuine shooting gallery segments satisfying. Great feedback, good death animations, and I like the fact that you can break line of sight. I want that last part in ALL third person shooters, hell first person shooters.

The AI is inconsistent though. In combat they are fine, if nowhere near the revolutionary shit they were pimping at E3, but they are mostly effective and fun to fight against. In Stealth they are stuck to predictable routines and patterns. Not necessarily game breaking awful, but dumb enough to knock the stealth down a peg or two.

Otherwise the whole package of gameplay works for me. Shooting is gratifying because of the limitations put on your animations, the upgrading system, and being able to break line of sight combined with fundamentally sound stealth mechanics, and survival elements that make it so you can't go full rambo in the game. In a lot of ways this is what those old Resident Evil games pretended they were. You know minus the jump scare routine and stuff. Terrific game, and the multiplayer is a cool addition. The pay 2 win garbage? is atrocious though. I paid 60 dollars for a game. Why are there perks that would make the actual MP interesting hidden behind a pay wall? fuck you.

#73 Posted by cainetao11 (17281 posts) -

@ghostwarrior786 said:

@uninspiredcup said:

As a long time pc gamer with vast gaming experience, this seems more of an immediate reaction than a long term thing from those who have not experienced the wide catalog of games.

A very good comparison my friends, I Christopher Nolan. The young people say "oh oh oh, the Dark Knight, masterpiece" and then like cockroach, invade IMDB and spam all his movies to the top 200. Even though, in the grand scheme of things, his movies have no place among the Akira Kurasawa's and Sergio Leones.

In this case, The Last Of Us is in a similar situation. With no comprehension of titles such as Homeworld or Planescape Torment. It's incredibly saddening for us to see this. But, it will pass. As experienced and knowledge is gained, a broader pallet will be formed and thus, a more objective opinion will be formed.

but dark knight is a masterpiece

Compared to a masterpiece examination of evil such as Akira Kurasawa's biblical sized epic Ran, the Dark Knight comes across as superfluous fluff for a hip narcissistic generation of young 20 somethings.

Fully illustrating the non sense of comparing the films. The Dark Knight is a great film, possibly the best in the comic-movie sub genre. Nobody compares Shakespeare to Raiders of the lost arc because it isn't necessary or applicable. Raiders is one of the finest action films ever made and was a Best Picture nominee. Ran is a feudal Japan take on King Lear and I agree it is a masterpiece. But Throne of Blood which was a Kurasawa take on Macbeth was more enjoyable for me. I am glad you are an appreciator of one of the finest film makers in history, but that doesn't mean other films are not great. An as far as Nolan, Following, Memento, and to some degree Insomnia show the man has chops.

#74 Posted by mems_1224 (46940 posts) -

@lostrib said:

@Blabadon said:

Pacing isn't near perfect. The game introduces itself twice, once as a cliche cinematic section where you know what will happen, and a second time as a boring chest high wall TPS. Takes a few hours to get going where it gets really good. After Bill's town the game significantly picks up.

I really loved exploring the remnants of houses with Sam and his brother. But after a point, clicker sections just annoyed me. They lacked that openness of the human sections and I'm not a stealth guy. I was happy the last clicker section had a lot of gameplay afterwards because the hospital was one of the best part of the game.

As a story it's good, not great. Wasn't particularly attached to Ellie or Joel, and the supporting characters were more interesting. Also found the AI really dumb. Like awfully dumb.

Overall, it was a great game. 8/10

Oh lord, that last section that's just clickers and bloaters can go eat a dick.

I thought that part was awesome because I figured since we were in Utah it was close to the end so I just used all the weapons I was saving up.

#75 Posted by uninspiredcup (8257 posts) -

@uninspiredcup said:

@ghostwarrior786 said:

@uninspiredcup said:

As a long time pc gamer with vast gaming experience, this seems more of an immediate reaction than a long term thing from those who have not experienced the wide catalog of games.

A very good comparison my friends, I Christopher Nolan. The young people say "oh oh oh, the Dark Knight, masterpiece" and then like cockroach, invade IMDB and spam all his movies to the top 200. Even though, in the grand scheme of things, his movies have no place among the Akira Kurasawa's and Sergio Leones.

In this case, The Last Of Us is in a similar situation. With no comprehension of titles such as Homeworld or Planescape Torment. It's incredibly saddening for us to see this. But, it will pass. As experienced and knowledge is gained, a broader pallet will be formed and thus, a more objective opinion will be formed.

but dark knight is a masterpiece

Compared to a masterpiece examination of evil such as Akira Kurasawa's biblical sized epic Ran, the Dark Knight comes across as superfluous fluff for a hip narcissistic generation of young 20 somethings.

Fully illustrating the non sense of comparing the films. The Dark Knight is a great film, possibly the best in the comic-movie sub genre. Nobody compares Shakespeare to Raiders of the lost arc because it isn't necessary or applicable. Raiders is one of the finest action films ever made and was a Best Picture nominee. Ran is a feudal Japan take on King Lear and I agree it is a masterpiece. But Throne of Blood which was a Kurasawa take on Macbeth was more enjoyable for me. I am glad you are an appreciator of one of the finest film makers in history, but that doesn't mean other films are not great. An as far as Nolan, Following, Memento, and to some degree Insomnia show the man has chops.

My friend, Insomnia appears to be his only good movie. No M. Night Shyamalan level twists. No convoluted story-line. No pacing issues. No wooden love interests. Al Pacino superior acting ability giving emotional resonates as the guilt gradually breaks him down. It's worth noting as well, Robin Williams villain and connection to lead is far better than anything in the Dark Knight.

Sadly, Al Pacino not having a half broken egg shell on his head talking like the cookie monster to a boring villain will not appeal to the young peoples.

#76 Posted by cainetao11 (17281 posts) -

@uninspiredcup: Well entertainment is subjective because not everyone is entertained by everything. I disagree, my friend. Memento is a great film as was the Dark Knight and Rises. Batman Begins is good, but in my opinion not as good as its sequels. You feel different, another day on SW.

#77 Edited by handssss (1834 posts) -

Try the multiplayer. Played it for the first time today and it's so much fun (played with 2 friends) The battles are tense as hell and it reminds me of Gears o War's MP somewhat.

There was some BS though. 1 of our matches, a teammate quit and it was 3v4 the whole match. Last round ended with 2 of us down and 3 guys rushing but then we got revived and all hell broke lose when they threw a molotov and I banzai shiv rushed to get another kill for us. Pulled that win out of our asses.

#78 Posted by kingtito (4903 posts) -

'Cow circle jerk for a game that was good but hardly the best of gen 7' - yep that u calling anyone who thinks this game is the best of gen 7 a cow haha and im a cow because i bought x360 at launch and going to be buying x1 when halo collection releases? haha ok

Actually that's referring to the well known cows and YOU know who they are. I didn't call everyone that likes the game a cow. Just the usual cows coming in here circle jerking anything Sony or ND as usual.

No you're a cow because you praise Sony no matter what they do and put down MS for ridiculous reasons. I've owned every PS console yet I'm still labeled a lem. So yeah, you're a cow.

#79 Posted by Bigboi500 (29572 posts) -

@kingtito: That's because EVERY comment you make is to wah wah about cows. EVERY single comment you ever made, ever. Cows cows cows cows cows.

#80 Posted by Lulu_Lulu (11424 posts) -

@Bigboi500

To be fair, Cows are very annoying.

#81 Edited by Bigboi500 (29572 posts) -

@Lulu_Lulu: Very true. Even so, it's unhealthy to obsess with any product or group no matter what it is. I mean, I like Sony systems but am by no means a cow, but he'd probably call me one regardless.

#82 Posted by Lulu_Lulu (11424 posts) -

@Bigboi500

I would too if it weren't for the fact the Sony can and do make great games every now and then.

#83 Edited by kingtito (4903 posts) -

@kingtito: That's because EVERY comment you make is to wah wah about cows. EVERY single comment you ever made, ever. Cows cows cows cows cows.

That's because cows are lame and say some the dumbest shit in the history of SWs. They're obnoxious, overbearing and most of the time unreasonable. So yeah, what else am i going to so say. You seem to be under the impression that being called a lem bothers me. It doesn't and never has but being called a cow sure seems to be an insult to some people. I wonder why that is?

#84 Posted by handssss (1834 posts) -

@kingtito said:

@Bigboi500 said:

That's because cows are lame and say some the dumbest shit in the history of SWs. They're obnoxious, overbearing and most of the time unreasonable. So yeah, what else am i going to so say. You seem to be under the impression that being called a lem bothers me. It doesn't and never has but being called a cow sure seems to be an insult to some people. I wonder why that is?

you're describing yourself a whole awful lot in this post.

#85 Posted by PsychoLemons (2070 posts) -

Not to mention that most of Nolan's films have WAY too much exposition, that it becomes too pretentious.

#86 Edited by Lulu_Lulu (11424 posts) -

@kingtito

Amen to that ! ! ! :)

#88 Posted by Bigboi500 (29572 posts) -

@kingtito said:

@Bigboi500 said:

Try leaving those lame and childish names on the side of the road once in a while and just, you know, discuss games for a change. Most SW vets don't even use terms any more and they only still exist because of a few bad trolls and alt account idiots.

#89 Edited by Legend002 (7085 posts) -

TLoU is the greatest game of all time. Can't say anything new that haven't been said before about it.

#90 Posted by dommeus (9261 posts) -

@ghostwarrior786:

They really need to fix the friendly AI. I was hoping they would try and fix it for the re-release, but apparently not.

The other (minor) gripe I have with the game is how some of the 'leveling' works in regards to Joel. He should at least have the clicker take-down skill under his belt from the get go, since the first time he ever encounters one in a cutscene he deals with it mano-e-mano.

#91 Posted by sts106mat (19362 posts) -

It is a masterpiece. In terms of immersion and story telling its as good as it gets in it's genre i think.

I dont see myself going through more than twice though, there isn't enough to pull me back, i feel like i have seen it all already.

#92 Posted by MirkoS77 (7320 posts) -

Um, you're not the only "enlightened" one. I, (and I'm sure many others) have just a broad pallet of experience garnered from the best in the genre and all this industry's had to offer in the past, and that doesn't preclude us from giving TLoU its due rights and praise.

Please, let's try to not be so elitist.

#93 Posted by GamersJustGame (304 posts) -

@ghostwarrior786:

Absolutely loved it. I am not a big fan of Uncharted and never bought TLOU on PS3. But I bought the remastered PS4 version and its a masterpiece. few clitches but the game is awesome. I really grew affection towards the characters including Sarah. Elle really pulls at your heart strings. I truly believe this franchise will be the flagship of the PS4. So much potential and direction they can take this franchise.

#94 Edited by Cloud_imperium (2925 posts) -

Very good game , really enjoyed it . Doesn't bring anything new to the table but tries to improve what have already been done . Gameplay is good for an Action game , AI is bad , Story telling is good but graphics were blurry on PS3 . I didn't like Left Behind DLC at all .

Main game : 8.5/10 .

I also liked ending of the game . It was a bit different than other games .

#95 Posted by Lulu_Lulu (11424 posts) -

@dommeus

LudoNarrative Dissonance perhaps ? I think he should have had it from the get go because its suppose to be there regardless of what the cutscenes say.

#96 Posted by freedomfreak (39964 posts) -

One of my favorites.

#97 Edited by PSdual_wielder (10646 posts) -

I think TLOU can be polarizing because of two different perspectives. One would be if you merely break the game down into it's mechanical aspects, like the AI, 3rd person shooting gameplay, clicker sections, etc, then you can argue there are a ton of flaws. But on the other hand if you look at the game as whole and how it pulls off the scenarios in conjunction with each other, with all the mechanics working together, then the experience just feels bloody incredible.

And gamespot's credibility in reviewing games went down the drain over the years. It's not just one guy, but more like the entire quality standard of the editorial. This game is more like a 9.5 for me.

#98 Posted by dommeus (9261 posts) -

@Lulu_Lulu:

True. Joel is a 20 year vet of this new world. He already has experience with the clickers, so he should be able to shiv in self defense from the beginning (you can on 'easy').

#99 Posted by Lulu_Lulu (11424 posts) -

@dommeus

Uhm... You're missing my point... I was trying to say that the game is alil unbalanced without it.

And why does a Survival Game have upgrades ?

#100 Edited by dommeus (9261 posts) -

@Lulu_Lulu:

Unbalanced without what? The need to upgrade to get it, or not having it in the first place?