LTTP: TLOU aka masterpiece that wont be topped (spoilers)

• 132 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for ghostwarrior786
ghostwarrior786

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By ghostwarrior786
Member since 2005 • 5811 Posts

seeing as how tlou remastered just released i figured the people who just played the game can discuss it. also PLEASEEEEE if u talk about the left behind dlc use the spoilers tag. this thread is just for the main game

i just finished this game and i can confirm for sw that it is a masterpiece in gaming. this is the closest thing to perfection, the story is beautifully crafted and presented in the game, i havnt felt this immersed in a game since bioshock. the voice acting is superb as well as the dialogue. this game reminds me of 'the assassination of jesse james by coward robert ford' in that the game is about the journey of the character, its just beautiful. (edit: forgot to mention the soundtrack, it is perfect and fits the mood perfectly)

the pacing of the game is perfect, it constantly varies the challenges and throws different obstacles towards u. the slower paced walking segments are great for breaking up the action, fighting humans is a different experience to fighting the infected which involves different strategies. i never felt bored of fighting either + the puzzle sections are simple which is good.

now the gameplay, its amazing. i love stealth games so naturally took that option in encounters but sometimes i went guns blazing because the guns are just so satisfying to use. the loot system works great in this game even though i dont like loot because it adds to the survival theme and the upgrades are basic so i enjoyed it. the variety of gameplay here is just incredible.

if there ever was a game i would give 10/10 to its this, the minor flaws are the ai sometimes acts really stupid but i played on normal mode and maybe in the harder difficulties this isnt an issue. also i noticed sometimes ellie would be standing/talking right in front of an enemies but they dont engage unless they spot me, which breaks immersion but these are minor gripes and probably something that doesnt happen on harder difficulties.

people always talk about the jump from uc1 to uc2 but the jump from the uncharted franchise to tlou is astounding. i hope uc4 is the last game of that franchise because this is so much better in every way its quite unbelievable.

ok sw, what are ur thoughts on the game?

Seabas989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#2 Seabas989
Member since 2009 • 13565 Posts

Flop.

ghostwarrior786

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 ghostwarrior786

@Seabas989 said:

Flop.

thanks for ur contribution. now **** off

Blabadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 1

#4 Blabadon
Member since 2008 • 33030 Posts

Pacing isn't near perfect. The game introduces itself twice, once as a cliche cinematic section where you know what will happen, and a second time as a boring chest high wall TPS. Takes a few hours to get going where it gets really good. After Bill's town the game significantly picks up.

I really loved exploring the remnants of houses with Sam and his brother. But after a point, clicker sections just annoyed me. They lacked that openness of the human sections and I'm not a stealth guy. I was happy the last clicker section had a lot of gameplay afterwards because the hospital was one of the best part of the game.

As a story it's good, not great. Wasn't particularly attached to Ellie or Joel, and the supporting characters were more interesting. Also found the AI really dumb. Like awfully dumb.

Overall, it was a great game. 8/10

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

@ghostwarrior786 said:

@Seabas989 said:

Flop.

Flop you!

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 lostrib

@Blabadon said:

Pacing isn't near perfect. The game introduces itself twice, once as a cliche cinematic section where you know what will happen, and a second time as a boring chest high wall TPS. Takes a few hours to get going where it gets really good. After Bill's town the game significantly picks up.

I really loved exploring the remnants of houses with Sam and his brother. But after a point, clicker sections just annoyed me. They lacked that openness of the human sections and I'm not a stealth guy. I was happy the last clicker section had a lot of gameplay afterwards because the hospital was one of the best part of the game.

As a story it's good, not great. Wasn't particularly attached to Ellie or Joel, and the supporting characters were more interesting. Also found the AI really dumb. Like awfully dumb.

Oh lord, that last section that's just clickers and bloaters can go eat a dick.

ghostwarrior786

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By ghostwarrior786

@Blabadon said:

wait a second, 'boring chest fight wall tps'? lol nothing boring about it. the gunplay is the most satisfying of a tps/fps ive played ever. the guns feel so damn powerful and the impact of each bullet on the characters is amazing. and u said u dont like stealth so maybe thats u cant appreciate those gameplay section but i thought it was amazing because they give u option to use stealth or guns in almost every encounter in the game. and u wernt attached to the characters? why not? the story and the ending suits the game perfectly because its about the journey of the 2 characters

ghostwarrior786

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 ghostwarrior786

@lostrib said:

@Blabadon said:

wat??? not u too lostrib, i thought it was great. i loved the variety this game offered

Snugenz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#9 Snugenz
Member since 2006 • 13388 Posts

@lostrib said:

@Blabadon said:

I loved that bit, just about having two nail bombs and a well placed molotov.

As for my verdict, i'd be closer to 9/10 maybe even 9.5 as it's one of the most engaging games i've played in a while, i honestly never felt the urge to skip a cutscene not even on subsequent playthroughs.

Still a flop on GS though.

Seabas989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#10 Seabas989
Member since 2009 • 13565 Posts
@ghostwarrior786 said:

@Seabas989 said:

Flop.

A flop is a flop.

Anyways I think it's an 8/10 too. Great game but I think Naughty Dog could make it better.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By lostrib

@ghostwarrior786 said:

@lostrib said:

wat??? not u too lostrib, i thought it was great. i loved the variety this game offered

Hmmmm? Oh, I greatly enjoyed the game, even with its issues

Pikminmaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#12  Edited By Pikminmaniac
Member since 2006 • 11513 Posts

Yeah this game is great and probably the best mix of cinematic story and gameplay I've ever played. Having said that, it still has some flaws (ones that are seemingly inherent to the genre), but I consider it the best of its kind and a far cry from Naughty Dog's previous work last gen.

P.S. The ending gameplay portion to Winter is exceptional. Clearly the highlight to the game.

Avatar image for ninjapirate2000
ninjapirate2000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 ninjapirate2000
Member since 2008 • 3347 Posts

I couldn't replay it again because it starts so slow. My god the first 6 hrs of that game...

Snugenz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Snugenz
Member since 2006 • 13388 Posts

@Pikminmaniac said:

Yeah this game is great and probably the best mix of cinematic story and gameplay I've ever played. Having said that, it still has some flaws (ones that are seemingly inherent to the genre), but I consider it the best of its kind and a far cry from Naughty Dog's previous work last gen.

P.S. The ending gameplay portion to Winter is exceptional. Clearly the highlight to the game.

I gotta agree, i own all the Uncharteds but honestly i'm not a fan of them, the stories and cinematic parts are pretty good but the gameplay always felt off, so, i went into TLOU thinking "it's another ND game so it'll probabaly do this and this good and that bad" thankfully i was wrong and it is head and shoulders above what they did with the Uncharted series.

ghostwarrior786

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 ghostwarrior786

@ninjapirate2000 said:

I couldn't replay it again because it starts so slow. My god the first 6 hrs of that game...

u know u could just start from the chapter u like. not sure if all chapters are unlocked from the get go in the remastered edition but after finishing the game u can choose whatever chapter. it would be nice though if they gave u a playlist that allows u to choose the encounters u want to play like masterchief collection is doing.

@lostrib said:

@ghostwarrior786 said:

@lostrib said:

why didnt u enjoy that clickers/bloaters bit?

@Pikminmaniac said:

yeah the winter section is truly magnificent, i hope naughty dog improve uncharted gameplay because tlou makes it look like shit in comparison

blackace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#16  Edited By blackace
Member since 2002 • 23576 Posts

@ghostwarrior786: Yaaaaawwwwn!! Been there, done that.

Sushiglutton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#17 Sushiglutton
Member since 2009 • 9853 Posts

It will be remembered as the best game of the PS3/X360 gen.

Kaze_no_Mirai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Kaze_no_Mirai
Member since 2004 • 11763 Posts

I thought it felt like it dragged on near the end so I had some problems with the pacing. The AI had issues both friendlies and enemies. I can't count the times I saw some enemies running around in a circle it looked to weird. I enjoyed the story even though it was completely predictable. Did anyone really not see that Joel would end up getting attached to Ellie? The only thing I didn't expect is how much it would be or what it would come down to.

Other than that the game was really fun I enjoyed it this second time as well but it's nowhere near perfect in my opinion. I said it last year and I'll say it again 8/10 sounds perfect for me.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 lostrib

@ghostwarrior786 said:

@lostrib said:

@ghostwarrior786 said:

@lostrib said:

I spooked the bloater at the end

Avatar image for EducatingU_PCMR
EducatingU_PCMR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#20 EducatingU_PCMR
Member since 2013 • 1581 Posts

@Sushiglutton said:

That would be MGS4.

tonitorsi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#21  Edited By tonitorsi
Member since 2006 • 8692 Posts

The slayage had me like:

throughout the entire game.

And Winter will very fucking much stay as Naughty Dog's finest craft in a video game until they top it again.

Its one of those games where any kind of praise is well deserved, no matter what. The quality is outrageous.

Raw talent at Naughty Dog.

ghostwarrior786

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By ghostwarrior786

@Kaze_no_Mirai said:

I thought it felt like it dragged on near the end so I had some problems with the pacing. The AI had issues both friendlies and enemies. I can't count the times I saw some enemies running around in a circle it looked to weird. I enjoyed the story even though it was completely predictable. Did anyone really not see that Joel would end up getting attached to Ellie? The only thing I didn't expect is how much it would be or what it would come down to.

Other than that the game was really fun I enjoyed it this second time as well but it's nowhere near perfect in my opinion. I said it last year and I'll say it again 8/10 sounds perfect for me.

i get what u are saying about the story but to me it was about the journey of the character, i cant really explain it but i really enjoyed it. sony the sons of bitches spoiled the part of the black lady pointing the gun at joel in the trailer of the remastered edition so i knew that from the start but i didnt know how it would end. do u think the story would have been better if joel/ellie died in the end?

@lostrib said:

@ghostwarrior786 said:

@lostrib said:

@ghostwarrior786 said:

@lostrib said:

I spooked the bloater at the end

lol noob, i threw 3 bombs at the bitch like a true mlg pro

Avatar image for deactivated-5ebea105efb64
deactivated-5ebea105efb64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By deactivated-5ebea105efb64
Member since 2013 • 7262 Posts

8/10- Tom Mcrap.

kingtito

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 kingtito
Member since 2003 • 11775 Posts

Cow circle jerk for a game that was good but hardly the best of gen 7.

Kaze_no_Mirai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Kaze_no_Mirai
Member since 2004 • 11763 Posts

@ghostwarrior786: No honestly I think the ending was perfect. They both survive but its not a completely happy ending. Even though I think the ending was predictable the touches that were added are nice. Like Joel calling Ellie "baby girl" when he called his daughter that. Him carrying Ellie in his arms trying to save her just like the beginning of the game with his daughter, but this time managing to save his "baby girl" it was pretty cool stuff in my opinion.

ghostwarrior786

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 ghostwarrior786

@kingtito said:

nothing x360 has rivals this campaign and i say this as someone who bought x360 on launch and has played through all its major exclusives.

PurpleMan5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 PurpleMan5000
Member since 2011 • 10531 Posts

I thought the game was fantastic. I preferred the clicker sections to the human sections because they were so tense. It was kind of a cop out that they were blind, imo, but they made the game work with that mechanic pretty well. I turned the volume up on my sound system for the game, because the sound was so well done. I honestly think Naughty Dog did a better job with the audio on the game than they did the graphics, and obviously the graphics are superb.

Overall, I give the game a 9/10. It was one of the best games of last gen.

Avatar image for speedfreak48t5p
speedfreak48t5p

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 62

#28 speedfreak48t5p
Member since 2009 • 14416 Posts

@EducatingU_PCMR said:

@Sushiglutton said:

That would be MGS4.

LOL

kingtito

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By kingtito
Member since 2003 • 11775 Posts

@ghostwarrior786 said:

@kingtito said:

nothing x360 has rivals this campaign and i say this as someone who bought x360 on launch and has played through all its major exclusives.

That would be YOUR opinion though. One that not everyone would agree with. Like I said, TLOU is a good game 8/10 personally but for me it's not the best game of gen 7. I preferred Dark Souls to TLOU

BldgIrsh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 5

#30 BldgIrsh
Member since 2014 • 3044 Posts

Enjoyed the game. Though, somewhat depressing to say that nothing will top this game... A flop can't be the best game ever.

PurpleMan5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By PurpleMan5000
Member since 2011 • 10531 Posts

@bldgirsh said:

Enjoyed the game. Though, somewhat depressing to say that nothing will top this game... A flop can't be the best game ever.

There has never been and never will be a game made that isn't a flop to somebody.

I wouldn't put TLOU in my top 5 games of last gen, but it is very close and I can certainly see how somebody would put it at number 1.

ghostwarrior786

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 ghostwarrior786

@kingtito said:

@ghostwarrior786 said:

@kingtito said:

That would be YOUR opinion though. One that not everyone would agree with. Like I said, TLOU is a good game 8/10 personally but for me it's not the best game of gen 7. I preferred Dark Souls to TLOU

oh so u understand the concept of opinion but refer to people who may see this as one of the greatest games as cows? interesting. tlou being the greatest game is arguable but it being the best tps ever made isnt even arguable. its blows uncharted/gears and all that crap out the water

pyro1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 pyro1245
Member since 2003 • 9397 Posts

i'll top that shit

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Lulu_Lulu
Member since 2013 • 19564 Posts

Come on man... Really ? We've been through this already, last year... Remember ? Nothing has changed.

ghostwarrior786

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 ghostwarrior786

@Lulu_Lulu said:

Come on man... Really ? We've been through this already, last year... Remember ? Nothing has changed.

ive been on a media blackout for this game since i seen the e3 reveal. i do this for almost all games i intend to purchase so i dont really know what was being debated. enlighten me

AmazonAngry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By AmazonAngry
Member since 2014 • 968 Posts

I came in here thinking, "oh boy. Tc gonna get mauled by rabid, jelly crazed lems and herms," and boy was I ever right.

Glad toy enjoyed the masterpiece, the most award winning game of all time, tc.

And im glad you made this thread to draw out the rage that still festers in non PS owners.

Its an eternal rage that will never subside.

SDC

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 lostrib

@amazonangry said:

I came in here thinking, "oh boy. Tc gonna get mauled by rabid, jelly crazed lems and herms," and boy was I ever right.

And im glad you made this thread to draw out the rage that still festers in non PS owners.

SDC

you're trying too hard

AmazonAngry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 AmazonAngry
Member since 2014 • 968 Posts

@lostrib: you're trying too hard

Explain

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 lostrib

@amazonangry said:

@lostrib: you're trying too hard

Explain

why not just discuss the game instead of dropping troll bait

blackace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 blackace
Member since 2002 • 23576 Posts

@amazonangry said:

SDC

I owned PS1, PS2, PS3, PS4, PSVita & PSP and I still don't consider TLOU a masterpiece. lol!! It got awards mostly for the voice acting, story it told and how gamers were able to interact with it. The graphics, gameplay and AI were mostly fair to good. Super Mario Galaxy 1 & 2 are more of a masterpiece then TLOU.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Lulu_Lulu

@ghostwarrior786

Enlighten you about what ? I just hate things repeating themselves.

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22374 Posts

It is definitely a brilliant piece of game creation... the first time you play it. But that's the problem. Having just finished it for the 2nd time, it was nowhere near as enjoyable to me as the first time & I can't see myself replaying it. And as was said on a different thread a few days ago, I think it's because without the impact of the story for the first time, the gameplay isn't good enough to keep you engaged. And that's the sign of a true masterpiece to me... a game that you can replay over & over and never get tired of it.

Well that's my opinion anyway.

ghostwarrior786

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 ghostwarrior786

@blackace said:

@amazonangry said:

SDC

I owned PS1, PS2, PS3, PS4, PSVita & PSP and I still don't consider TLOU a masterpiece. lol!! It got awards mostly for the voice acting, story it told and how gamers were able to interact with it. The graphics, gameplay and AI were mostly fair to good. Super Mario Galaxy 1 & 2 are more of a masterpiece then TLOU.

hahahha u clown mario galaxy is a piece of shit kid game that i would play when i was 3. and the grpahics and gameplay of tlou arnt 'fair to good' they are great

@Lulu_Lulu said:

@ghostwarrior786

Enlighten you about what ? I just hate things repeating themselves.

enlighten me about what the hell u are talking about

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#44  Edited By uninspiredcup  Online
Member since 2013 • 58944 Posts

As a long time pc gamer with vast gaming experience, this seems more of an immediate reaction than a long term thing from those who have not experienced the wide catalog of games.

A very good comparison my friends, I Christopher Nolan. The young people say "oh oh oh, the Dark Knight, masterpiece" and then like cockroach, invade IMDB and spam all his movies to the top 200. Even though, in the grand scheme of things, his movies have no place among the Akira Kurasawa's and Sergio Leones.

In this case, The Last Of Us is in a similar situation. With no comprehension of titles such as Homeworld or Planescape Torment. It's incredibly saddening for us to see this. But, it will pass. As experienced and knowledge is gained, a broader pallet will be formed and thus, a more objective opinion will be formed.

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Bigboi500
Member since 2007 • 35550 Posts

@ghostwarrior786 said:

wow, what a jackass

ghostwarrior786

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 ghostwarrior786

@uninspiredcup said:

As a long time pc gamer with vast gaming experience, this seems more of an immediate reaction than a long term thing from those who have not experienced the wide catalog of games.

A very good comparison my friends, I Christopher Nolan. The young people say "oh oh oh, the Dark Knight, masterpiece" and then like cockroach, invade IMDB and spam all his movies to the top 200. Even though, in the grand scheme of things, his movies have no place among the Akira Kurasawa's and Sergio Leones.

In this case, The Last Of Us is in a similar situation. With no comprehension of titles such as Homeworld or Planescape Torment. It's incredibly saddening for us to see this. But, it will pass. As experienced and knowledge is gained, a broader pallet will be formed and thus, a more objective opinion will be formed.

but dark knight is a masterpiece

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Lulu_Lulu

@ghostwarrior786

I'm talking about 50 threads justlike this one last year.

DEadliNE-Zero0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By DEadliNE-Zero0
Member since 2014 • 6607 Posts

My biggest problem with the game was the gameplay. The basic mix of TPS, stealth elements and some "puzzles" in there. The issue is that none of them shine.

The shooting also feel abit more cluncky than even Uncharted, but overall, works, just nothing special.

The stealth is the well known "avoid line of sight/noise when in proximity" mechanics that, while well excuted, feel, well, basic and done before a million times. And the "ladder/plank puzzles" are a joke.

Also, fighting clickers, aka zombies, is almost always a boring chore. This si because they tend to be stupid (by nature) and die easily or kill you in 1 shot. Yeah, i know it's a zombie game, but there in lies the issue. Oh, and AI problems from time to time.

I always felt Uncharted's setting and storyline allowed the mechanics to mix well with the mechanics. This was all because ND created the set pieces first. It felt like a big "summer blockbuster game".

With TLOU, due to the slower paced nature, ND clearly transfered the basics, but it didn't mix like before. IMHO, it clashed with the tone of the game. It need less action and stealth sequences. More moments like those silence horse rides, in the university, or the hunting moments with Ellie. But instead, you spend alot of your time shooting and killing zombies and humans in corridors, moving from each set to each set, keeping the action flowing. Not all the time, obviously, but abit too much for my liking.

When it comes to the story, it's clearly the best part of the game. Sadly, without going too much into detail right now, it feltsomewhat too cliche. Lots of "post apocalypse tropes" where there.

The constant themes of fight for survival, protection of ones own against dangerous people, the way it portraied the main characters and their friends as more of the "good ones" and enemy humans as villains, and others such tropes. While very well excuted, it's the same themes and lessons that we have explored in some other games and, mainly, many others forms of entertainment, like movies and tv, without even referencing litterature. All of this while following a traditional narrative where one single individual may be the salvation for mankind, and the battle to bring her to a safe zone.

The characters are the best part, and while, cliches show up again, nothing to problematic. I felt Ellie was the best character, being able to transition from a scared 14 year old in a ruined world, dealing with life and death situations, to near adult like, decisive woman. All of this, without really breaking character much

Joel, on the other hand, is the older male protagonist, who as lost is daughter at the beginnign of the apocalypse (check), became bitter at the world (check) and finds a young girl who he slow grows to care for in a surrogate manner and will defend at all costs (check). Once again, well writen, but it's a very well know character archtype for this setting. Fortunatly, he isn't bad, not even mediocre. The game also does a good job at nto maing him seem like a kind heart heroic figure. He feels like what he looks like. An "anti hero", hurt by the world, no longer having that many good feelings nside of himself. A grey characters, that slowly opens up. Sadly, to the cliche surrogate of his daughter, but eh.

in short: Is the game bad? No, it's good. I'ts just that when someone calls it the game of the generation, i expect it to excell in many aspects, mainly gameplay. But when that is so basic as it is, and clashes with the story format, then i guess teh story should be abit more. Sadly, while good,with great characters, it's dragged down by overly used themes and survival of the zombie apocapypse tropes.The best way to look at it would be the ending,i guess. Also, Children of Man and The Walking Dead. Yeah, the tropes.

Well,i guess i should blog this, huh? Also, if i had to score it, i'd give it an 8/10. I'd recomend it to anyone who enjoys narrative driven games.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#49  Edited By uninspiredcup  Online
Member since 2013 • 58944 Posts

@ghostwarrior786 said:

@uninspiredcup said:

but dark knight is a masterpiece

Compared to a masterpiece examination of evil such as Akira Kurasawa's biblical sized epic Ran, the Dark Knight comes across as superfluous fluff for a hip narcissistic generation of young 20 somethings.