Lots of 3DS games are getting canceled.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

lordlors

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#101 lordlors
Member since 2004 • 6128 Posts

[QUOTE="lordlors"][QUOTE="DerekLoffin"] Sorry, but your denial of the smartphone market has zero relevance on whether the developers spend their money there rather than other places. Developers want to make money, and if they can pump out 10 cheap $5 games that net them 5 million total vs 1 $40 game that nets them 3 million, they'll likely go with the 10 cheap ones whether we like it or not.DerekLoffin

It seems you can't comprehend. I'm simply saying devs will make games on smartphones but not like the games you play on handhelds no matter how strong the hardware of smartphones will get. If anything, smartphones are doing a favor to 3DS/Vita because casual games and trashy games will appear less on the two platforms and migrate to smartphones while core games will remain on the handhelds.

And what you don't seem to comprehend is you need developers to spend money on your platform, even on cheap games, ESPECIALLY when you aren't pushing a hardware advantage. We don't want shovelware, and we don't buy shovelware, but fact of the matter is shovelware pays the bills and moves hardware much of the time, and thus supports the stuff we want. As I said, DS was the cheap development option of its time, and thus got a lot of developer attention because of that. Now 3DS can't rely on that because that aspect has largely been taken. It has to carve itself a new niche and as of yet it hasn't materialized. And if you want to discuss VITA, it is going more the power route, trying for a completely different demographic of player. However it too has major hurtles to overcome (as another poster said, it has to compete with dollars spend on established consoles).

3DS is also catering to gaming enthusiasts just like Vita is even though Vita is more powerful so why are you saying Vita is trying for a different demographic player? Also, most devs that make core games don't make shovelware so i don't see what shovelware has to do with the devs who make core games. If shovelware is the key to moving hardware then why does 3DS already have better sales than DS' first months. Can you explain why?
Avatar image for turtlethetaffer
turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 144

#102 turtlethetaffer
Member since 2009 • 18973 Posts

Glancing at the list of cancelled games, I can see that no one really even cared about them to begin with, for the most part.

93BlackHawk93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#103 93BlackHawk93
Member since 2010 • 8611 Posts

I'm starting to fear for Time Travelers, Layton vs. Wright, Fantasy Life, Resident Evil: Revelations and Beyond the Labyrinth.

SakusEnvoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#104 SakusEnvoy
Member since 2009 • 4764 Posts

[QUOTE="DerekLoffin"][QUOTE="lordlors"] I'm sorry but until smartphones get a game similar to Uncharted, Mario Kart, LBP, Resident Evil Revelations, Dragon Quest IX, etc., smartphones are irrelevant in the gaming handheld discussion. You never see proper versions of FF, RE, etc. from smartphones. You get mini games and spin-offs. Handhelds are here to stay. Casuals won't buy games from their smartphones that are expensive compared to the plethora of $1 games so developing a core game or should i say a high quality/high budget game on smartphones isn't rosy as it seems.

lordlors

Sorry, but your denial of the smartphone market has zero relevance on whether the developers spend their money there rather than other places. Developers want to make money, and if they can pump out 10 cheap $5 games that net them 5 million total vs 1 $40 game that nets them 3 million, they'll likely go with the 10 cheap ones whether we like it or not.

It seems you can't comprehend. I'm simply saying devs will make games on smartphones but not like the games you play on handhelds no matter how strong the hardware of smartphones will get. If anything, smartphones are doing a favor to 3DS/Vita because casual games and trashy games will appear less on the two platforms and migrate to smartphones while core games will remain on the handhelds.

Why should devs even opt for handhelds over just making their big games on home consoles and PC, with their much larger install bases, ease of multiplatform development, and greater hardware potential? 3DS and Vita live in a world where developers make console-exclusive software, but that world is basically dead (except for games with cheap development budgets). But if devs want to make a cheap game, they might be better served making a smartphone, XBLA or PSN game. If devs want to make a proper game in a series, they'll probably go all out and make a 360/PS3/PC game.

I also think hardcore gamers are served by so many platforms now -- the 360, the PS3, the PC, the DS, the PSP, the 3DS, soon the Vita and the Wii U -- the 3DS is going to have a hard time getting a software library that makes people should out "I need that one" when looking at all these console options out there. It's confusing, and a bit over-saturated.

lordlors

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#105 lordlors
Member since 2004 • 6128 Posts

[QUOTE="lordlors"][QUOTE="DerekLoffin"] Sorry, but your denial of the smartphone market has zero relevance on whether the developers spend their money there rather than other places. Developers want to make money, and if they can pump out 10 cheap $5 games that net them 5 million total vs 1 $40 game that nets them 3 million, they'll likely go with the 10 cheap ones whether we like it or not.SakusEnvoy

Why should devs even opt for handhelds over just making their big games on home consoles and PC, with their much larger install bases, ease of multiplatform development, and greater hardware potential? 3DS and Vita live in a world where developers make console-exclusive software, but that world is basically dead (except for games with cheap development budgets). But if devs want to make a cheap game, they might be better served making a smartphone, XBLA or PSN game. If devs want to make a proper game in a series, they'll probably go all out and make a 360/PS3/PC game.

I also think hardcore gamers are served by so many platforms now -- the 360, the PS3, the PC, the DS, the PSP, the 3DS, soon the Vita and the Wii U -- the 3DS is going to have a hard time getting a software library that makes people should out "I need that one" when looking at all these console options out there. It's confusing, and a bit over-saturated.

It seems you aren't familiar to handheld gaming. There are certain games that feel at home in handhelds and there's a certain charm on playing a handheld game over a console or PC game. After all, i play my handhelds mostly at my house. It's hard to explain it in words. Just to inform you, handhelds are big in Japan so handhelds are here to stay.

Shinobi120

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#106 Shinobi120
Member since 2004 • 5728 Posts

This just in: publishers refuse to "risk" green-lighting high budget mainline franchise entries on Nintendo systems based on the sales of C-team efforts, spin offs, ports and rhythm games.

Well to be fair this was always an issue on the home console side, looks like it just reached Nintendo handhelds too.

SuperFlakeman

From what I heard, it's more expensive to make a game for the 3DS than it is for the DS, PSP, or even Vita (in which Sony made development incredibly easy for it).

Another hole in the "it's not Nintendo's fault that no-one makes good games for their system" apologists: was it the third parties' fault that Nintendo wouldn't put a CD-drive on the N64, which lost them the support of Square and many other top-shelf publishers in the mid 1990s? Instead of lashing out at the world like an emo kid, I think Nintendo fanboys need to take a look at what Nintendo is doing wrong.Timstuff

Exactly. Nintendo fanboys always likes to think that Nintendo never does anything wrong.

SakusEnvoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#107 SakusEnvoy
Member since 2009 • 4764 Posts

[QUOTE="SakusEnvoy"]

[QUOTE="lordlors"] It seems you can't comprehend. I'm simply saying devs will make games on smartphones but not like the games you play on handhelds no matter how strong the hardware of smartphones will get. If anything, smartphones are doing a favor to 3DS/Vita because casual games and trashy games will appear less on the two platforms and migrate to smartphones while core games will remain on the handhelds.lordlors

It seems you aren't familiar in handheld gaming. There are certain games that feels at home in handhelds and there's a certain charm on playing a handheld game over a console or PC game. After all, i play my handhelds mostly at my house. It's hard to explain it in words. Just to inform you, handhelds are big in Japan so handhelds are here to stay.

Well, the lines are certainly blurring. Just look at the Wii U -- you can have all the living room-portable charm you want via its controller tablet, while still tapping into home console levels of power. Honestly, I think the decision to put a game like Luigi's Mansion 2 on a handheld rather than a home console seems completely arbitrary, and I'm curious to see how Nintendo is going to split up their game development between the Wii U and 3DS in the future. Just about every game coming to the 3DS this fall I could easily imagine on a home console.

I do agree though; the future fate of handhelds will be decided by Japan. Even as the PSP and 3DS scrape the bottom of the hardware ladder in the West, those same two consoles dominate the top of the ladder in Japan. But will handhelds just end up becoming home to a bunch of obscure Japanese games that never arrive in the West? (I feel the word "PSP" coming to mind...)

bbkkristian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 1

#108 bbkkristian
Member since 2008 • 14971 Posts

Not to mention that Zelda OoT failed to sell 3 million 3DS units :lol:

EggHeadMan
Here we go... :x
ShyGuy0504

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#109 ShyGuy0504
Member since 2009 • 1138 Posts

Mega Man Legends 3 being cancelled had nothing to do with the 3DS. Capcom should never have announced the game. The whole thing was basically a cruel joke. Feels bad man.

oldkingallant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#110 oldkingallant
Member since 2010 • 4958 Posts
[QUOTE="oldkingallant"][QUOTE="finalstar2007"]

Good, finally people getting tired of a nintendo system :twisted:.. Vita destory it please :oops:

:P

1stPlaceWinner
Yeah because a few devs canceling bad games shows that people are getting tired of a Nintendo system.... :roll: Vita will flop. I have no reason to be against it, I'm a fan of all the systems, but I know a flop when I see one. Nintendo has pretty much a monopoly on handheld gaming.

PSP didnt flop and neither will vita

Oh I know, the PSP was successful in taking away some market share. The fact that it broke into the market at all makes it a success. The Vita will do well too, perhaps my wording was poor. What I meant was if you're expecting the Vita to crush the 3DS and steal away the market, then it will inevitably be a flop compared to those expectations.
oldkingallant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#111 oldkingallant
Member since 2010 • 4958 Posts

[QUOTE="SuperFlakeman"]

This just in: publishers refuse to "risk" green-lighting high budget mainline franchise entries on Nintendo systems based on the sales of C-team efforts, spin offs, ports and rhythm games.

Well to be fair this was always an issue on the home console side, looks like it just reached Nintendo handhelds too.

garland51

From what I heard, it's more expensive to make a game for the 3DS than it is for the DS, PSP, or even Vita (in which Sony made development incredibly easy for it).

Another hole in the "it's not Nintendo's fault that no-one makes good games for their system" apologists: was it the third parties' fault that Nintendo wouldn't put a CD-drive on the N64, which lost them the support of Square and many other top-shelf publishers in the mid 1990s? Instead of lashing out at the world like an emo kid, I think Nintendo fanboys need to take a look at what Nintendo is doing wrong.Timstuff

Exactly. Nintendo fanboys always likes to think that Nintendo never does anything wrong.

They can certainly do wrong, I think what irks Nintendo fanboys (me included, although I'm more of a big fan than a fanboy) is when people try to imply they can do no right and there's absolutely nothing positive about the Wii or 3DS. There's very much positive about both of them and Nintendo still produces more high quality games than any other dev. They produce some crap here and there, but not nearly as much as people like to say. The sheer number of high quality games they push out can be mostly attributed to the size of the company, but regardless you can't fault them for that and they deserve some credit.
cowgriller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#112 cowgriller
Member since 2008 • 3153 Posts

JESUS CHRIST!!! BloodRayne was making a come back?!?! why wasn't i told about this before?!?!!? there'd better be a pc/console version.

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#113 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60705 Posts
Does seem strange, but maybe it's al for the best. Nintendo's first party games should revive the struggling platform this fall.
Wanderer5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#114 Wanderer5
Member since 2006 • 25727 Posts

JESUS CHRIST!!! BloodRayne was making a come back?!?! why wasn't i told about this before?!?!!? there'd better be a pc/console version.

cowgriller

There a 2D game coming to PSN/XBLA.

Elitro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#115 Elitro
Member since 2009 • 578 Posts

Most of them might be rythm games or just overall random stuff but who knows, maybe 3ds lost a sleeper hit :P.

It's true that eventually big titles will come out, but those are mostly first party which once again doesn't really encourage 3rd party to jump along.

I do however should mention that it's kind of a bad luck streak since some of those titles are canceled due to outside reasons and not particularly because 3ds is unprofitable, hope the Vita releases in a better time.

xYamatox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#116 xYamatox
Member since 2005 • 5180 Posts

[QUOTE="Shinobishyguy"][QUOTE="Timstuff"]Ah yes, the old "it's everyone's fault but Nintendo's" mantra that the hardcore use to justify never blaming Nintendo for their failures. While we're at it, why don't we blame Microsoft and Sony for making their systems too competitive for Nintendo to keep up with?Timstuff
Lets see, system isn't doing to good because it doesn't have an impressive library of games..yet third parties are refusing to release said games that could boost it's library leaving nintendo as the only developer putting in any effort. How is nintendo at fault with this?

Because it's their system and it's their responsibility to make sure that third party developers want to make games for it. That's like saying it was the customers' faults that the PS3 wasn't selling well earlier this generation.

Arguement winning responds, right there.

GD1551

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#117 GD1551
Member since 2011 • 9645 Posts

The 3DS was just overhyped and rushed, I feel sorry for the early adopters because there isn't much on it to play right now.

Zen_Light

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#118 Zen_Light
Member since 2010 • 2143 Posts

Are people here actually suggesting that Nintendo make lower quality first party titles just so the inferior third party games can have a chance to compete?Handicapping great developmentis an incredibly stupid view point to have.

GD1551

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#119 GD1551
Member since 2011 • 9645 Posts

Are people here actually suggesting that Nintendo make lower quality first person titles just so the inferior third party games can have a chance to compete?Handicapping great developmentis an incredibly stupid view point to have.

Zen_Light
I think most people just ask nintendo to be more considerate when releasing their titles or so that's the main concern I heard publishers having with nintendo.
xYamatox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#120 xYamatox

[QUOTE="DerekLoffin"]

[QUOTE="Shinobishyguy"] so what exactly did Nintendo do that got third parties to develop their games on the DS?Shinobishyguy

Be the cheap development option of the time. Most smart-phone-esk devices at the time did not have well developed proven markets yet (iPhone didn't release till 3 years later). Now they do which greatly cuts into that option for 3DS.

If thats the case then the vita must be in trouble as well

Actually no, because like the DS loving PSP haters have been saying for years, the PSP specializes in "console" games on the go.

Funny how that used to be seen as a negative thing, and just might be the main reason the Vita beats out the 3DS. :lol:

LovePotionNo9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#121 LovePotionNo9
Member since 2010 • 4751 Posts

They should make lower budget, less risky games, and if it's successful enough, port it to other systems later. More Cubic Ninja, Dream Trigger 3D, and Bit. Trip Saga. Try something a little bit different.

Zen_Light

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#122 Zen_Light

[QUOTE="Zen_Light"]

Are people here actually suggesting that Nintendo make lower quality first party titles just so the inferior third party games can have a chance to compete?Handicapping great developmentis an incredibly stupid view point to have.

GD1551

I think most people just ask nintendo to be more considerate when releasing their titles or so that's the main concern I heard publishers having with nintendo.

More considerate how exactly? Isn't the onus on the developers to actually make better games instead of QQing about Nintendo and their superior products?

Zen_Light

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#123 Zen_Light

[QUOTE="Shinobishyguy"][QUOTE="DerekLoffin"] Be the cheap development option of the time. Most smart-phone-esk devices at the time did not have well developed proven markets yet (iPhone didn't release till 3 years later). Now they do which greatly cuts into that option for 3DS.

xYamatox

Actually no, because like the DS loving PSP haters have been saying for years, the PSP specializes in "console" games on the go.

Funny how that used to be seen as a negative thing, and just might be the main reason the Vita beats out the 3DS. :lol:

aka "the general public"? At least these "DS loving PSP haters" as you put it, have a previous business model to support their theory, yours is nothing more than a wild rambling personal assumption.

NVIDIATI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#124 NVIDIATI
Member since 2010 • 8463 Posts

Good, finally people getting tired of a nintendo system :twisted:.. Vita destory it please :oops:

finalstar2007

I never really cared about the handheld war as much between the DS and PSP as they both had their advantages, but for once I agree. The 3DS isn't looking that appealing.

Shinobishyguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#125 Shinobishyguy
Member since 2006 • 22928 Posts

[QUOTE="Shinobishyguy"][QUOTE="DerekLoffin"] Be the cheap development option of the time. Most smart-phone-esk devices at the time did not have well developed proven markets yet (iPhone didn't release till 3 years later). Now they do which greatly cuts into that option for 3DS.

xYamatox

if thats the case then the psvita is redundant for those who already have a ps3
tomarlyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#126 tomarlyn
Member since 2005 • 20148 Posts

Problem: 3DS games getting canceled in quick succession

Ying/Yang reaction: Said games didn't matter anyway/3DS is doomedzor

Such is the System Wars.

Ultimately its not the fact that those particular titles were canceled but the fact games are being canceled for it already, if publishers had faith in it they'd probably still get the go ahead. We all know how much half-assed junk appears on the Wii because of its hype and the size of its casual user base. Why isn't the same happening with the 3DS? Is the casual crowd content with the DS? Are publishers too seduced by Vita? I don't know

Maybe what we're going to see here is a Nintendo system for the hardcore again and a smaller but awesome library in the future :D

xYamatox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#127 xYamatox

[QUOTE="xYamatox"]

[QUOTE="Shinobishyguy"] If thats the case then the vita must be in trouble as wellShinobishyguy

Exclusive titles say otherwise. Just look at how many people want MGS: Peace Walker as a PS3 port, and you'll see that it isn't redundant at all.

tomarlyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#128 tomarlyn
[QUOTE="xYamatox"]

[QUOTE="Shinobishyguy"] If thats the case then the vita must be in trouble as wellShinobishyguy

I'm an Uncharted fan, I'm a Killzone fan, I'm a Bioshock fan. If Vita gets exclusive games from those franchises how does owning a PS3 make me not want them? Personally I'm not of the opinion that one is more of a console experience than the other because both get ''console ports'' and travel friendly games. So Vita has dual analogue, the 3DS would be even better with DA too.
Shinobishyguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#129 Shinobishyguy

Such is the System Wars.

Ultimately its not the fact that those particular titles were canceled but the fact games are being canceled for it already, if publishers had faith in it they'd probably still get the go ahead. We all know how much half-assed junk appears on the Wii because of its hype and the size of its casual user base. Why isn't the same happening with the 3DS? Is the casual crowd content with the DS? Are publishers too seduced by Vita? I don't know

Maybe what we're going to see here is a Nintendo system for the hardcore again and a smaller but awesome library in the future :D

tomarlyn
so...the original DS wasn't hardcore enough?
soulitane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#130 soulitane
Member since 2010 • 15091 Posts
Oh no, some games I didn't care about got cancelled :cry:
ChubbyGuy40

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#131 ChubbyGuy40
Member since 2007 • 26442 Posts

[QUOTE="finalstar2007"]

NVIDIATI

I never really cared about the handheld war as much between the DS and PSP as they both had their advantages, but for once I agree. The 3DS isn't looking that appealing.

In another thread I listed almost 15 games worth owning for the 3DS that are all comming out this year and next. Too lazy to go grab it them all again :P

Shinobishyguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#132 Shinobishyguy

[QUOTE="Shinobishyguy"][QUOTE="xYamatox"]

xYamatox

Exclusive titles say otherwise. Just look at how many people want MGS: Peace Walker as a PS3 port, and you'll see that it isn't redundant at all.

And the 3ds is getting exclusives of it's own as well. Some are pick up and play and some offer a bigger experience Your point?
xYamatox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#133 xYamatox

[QUOTE="xYamatox"]

[QUOTE="Shinobishyguy"] If thats the case then the vita must be in trouble as wellZen_Light

aka "the general public"? At least these "DS loving PSP haters" as you put it, have a previous business model to support their theory, yours is nothing more than a wild rambling personal assumption.

1) The general public had no problems with the PSP, just some hardcore Nintendo fanboys had beef with it because Sony tried treading on Nintendo's turf.

2) The previous business model (that you speak of) doesn't really mean much, because the 3DS currently has very little going for it as far as games are concerned, which is 150% the reason people play handhelds.

3) Of course it's an assumption, I said the Vita MIGHT beat out the 3DS, not that it was set in stone. For all we know, Sony might drop the ball completely. However, with the 3DS in the state that it's currently in, Sony has a very nice oppurtunity to take the lead for handheld gaming (much like how the 360 overtook the PS3 this gen, despite the PS2 being a much bigger success than the original Xbox).

tomarlyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#134 tomarlyn
[QUOTE="tomarlyn"]

Such is the System Wars.

Shinobishyguy
so...the original DS wasn't hardcore enough?

The DS was awesome and had plenty of everything, I don't see the same happening again. I'm not sure average Joe is going to pick up the 3DS like he did the DS, he's happy with his DS. Therefore less crap and more win sprinkled around like fairy dust. Its an odd analogy I know but it works in my perception of reality :P
biggest_loser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 60

#135 biggest_loser
Member since 2007 • 24508 Posts
That picture is hilarious lol :D
SuperFlakeman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#136 SuperFlakeman
Member since 2011 • 7411 Posts

We all know how much half-assed junk appears on the Wii because of its hype and the size of its casual user base. Why isn't the same happening with the 3DS?

tomarlyn

Well for one Nintendo stated that they where aiming for the 20 y/o adult male with 3DS, initially. That is totally being reflected by the upcoming games.

Nintendogs+Cats is there for the casuals yes, but Brain Age, NSMB, Picross, Pokemon, Art Academy and that type of software is for the future.

For now, they cater to this particular audience and especially the Nintendo fan (Kid Icarus!!!) as this is the crowd that is willing to shell out $250 outside of holidays.

Additionally this is free marekting for them. As you know it's difficult to market 3DS' main selling point, the best way is to get enough systems out there as people pass them around family & friends which will create awareness and hype, especially since they all loved their DS's, they'd be willing to join once it drops to $200.

The 3rd parties? Dunno they seem pretty clueless. I get the impression that they are basing future projects on the sales of spinoffs, C-team efforts and so on. Japan is in a state of fail on the home consoles so idk why they aren't going full force Vita/3DS. I can't see western devs abandoning PS3/360/Wii U development anytime soon, Ubisoft being one who already cancelled a 3DS AC game.

SuperFlakeman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#137 SuperFlakeman
Member since 2011 • 7411 Posts

The DS was awesome and had plenty of everything, I don't see the same happening again. I'm not sure average Joe is going to pick up the 3DS like he did the DS, he's happy with his DS. Therefore less crap and more win sprinkled around like fairy dust. Its an odd analogy I know but it works in my perception of reality :Ptomarlyn

3DS is gonna last at least 6 years (4-5 if it fails). By that time Joe has moved on from DS.

Timstuff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#138 Timstuff
Member since 2002 • 26840 Posts

[QUOTE="Shinobishyguy"][QUOTE="hakanakumono"]

Because maybe Nintendo systems should be more than that one you want to buy when you want to play Mario, Zelda, or Pokemon?

hakanakumono

And it's up to third parties to supply the system with those type of games, BUT it seems that they're not even bothering to try this time

It's up to Nintendo to maintain 3rd party relations and ensure support for their platform. If 3rd parties take their business elsewhere, then it's Nintendo's fault for not creating a viable platform.

Bubububu teh conspiracy! :cry:

Seriously, Nintendo's fans are as bad for Nintendo as anything else since they refuse to admit Nintendo needs to change their ways. Nintendo's own incompetence is always the last thing ever to get blamed when there's something wrong with one of Nintendo's system, and the fanboys always project it onto some external tormentor. Whenever a Nintendo system's library is drying up, the fanboy narrative is always that Nintendo's third parties betrayed them and never that Nintendo failed to maintain good relations with their third parties. It happened with the N64 and Gamecube, and it's happening again with the Wii and 3DS.

tomarlyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#139 tomarlyn

[QUOTE="tomarlyn"]

We all know how much half-assed junk appears on the Wii because of its hype and the size of its casual user base. Why isn't the same happening with the 3DS?

SuperFlakeman

Well for one Nintendo stated that they where aiming for the 20 y/o adult male with 3DS, initially. That is totally being reflected by the upcoming games.

Nintendogs+Cats is there for the casuals yes, but Brain Age, NSMB, Picross, Pokemon, Art Academy and that type of software is for the future.

For now, they cater to this particular audience and especially the Nintendo fan (Kid Icarus!!!) as this is the crowd that is willing to shell out $250 outside of holidays.

Additionally this is free marekting for them. As you know it's difficult to market 3DS' main selling point, the best way is to get enough systems out there as people pass them around family & friends which will create awareness and hype, especially since they all loved their DS's, they'd be willing to join once it drops to $200.

The 3rd parties? Dunno they seem pretty clueless. I get the impression that they are basing future projects on the sales of spinoffs, C-team efforts and so on. Japan is in a state of fail on the home consoles so idk why they aren't going full force Vita/3DS. I can't see western devs abandoning PS3/360/Wii U development anytime soon, Ubisoft being one who already cancelled a 3DS AC game.

I don't know the sales figures for europe but think yourself lucky if you're only paying $250, its $290 in the UK. Was $350 at launch though so maybe they got the message.
xYamatox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#140 xYamatox

[QUOTE="xYamatox"]

[QUOTE="Shinobishyguy"] if thats the case then the psvita is redundant for those who already have a ps3Shinobishyguy

And the 3ds is getting exclusives of it's own as well. Some are pick up and play and some offer a bigger experience Your point?

My point is that the PSP brand as already established that it's main goal is a more "console game" style focus. It's going to be very easy to take the gaming experiences we have seen this gen and implement them onto the Vita (2 analog sticks help this quite a bit. No matter how bad someone wants to argue the sylus is a comparible resource, it simply is not).

The DS on the other hand was more about (god save me for using this word) pushing "gimmick" games. As another poster already said, smartphones are good enough to play these gimmick esque games, for cheaper the cost. While the 3DS (and the DS for that matter) does have it's core games, it wasn't really what the system was known for.

Honestly, devs don't decide to NOT develop for the system unless there was a sure reason not to. We might see the same thing happen with the Vita too, but at least with the Vita, devs can focus on a more "console" experience without the hefty dev costs on developing on an actual console. Not to mention the PSP has excellent PStore support that will probably be even better with the Vita (imagine games like Castle Crashers, Braid, and Super Stardust HD getting Vita support).

This is all speculation and assumption on my part. The Vita might fail, and the 3DS may get an influx of great games. What we do know now though, is that the 3DS doesn't currently offer much to be desired other than your run of the mill 1st Party Nintendo games that are to be expected, for the same price as the Vita (which already offers more hardware wise out of the box), and the potential of a more "console handheld experience".

Mercenary848

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#141 Mercenary848
Member since 2007 • 12139 Posts

The only one worth crying mor is mMl3

tomarlyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#142 tomarlyn

[QUOTE="tomarlyn"]The DS was awesome and had plenty of everything, I don't see the same happening again. I'm not sure average Joe is going to pick up the 3DS like he did the DS, he's happy with his DS. Therefore less crap and more win sprinkled around like fairy dust. Its an odd analogy I know but it works in my perception of reality :PSuperFlakeman

3DS is gonna last at least 6 years (4-5 if it fails). By that time Joe has moved on from DS.

I wouldn't like to gamble on what he'll switch to yet though. The 3DS will definitely get the most kids however.

Shinobishyguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#143 Shinobishyguy

[QUOTE="hakanakumono"]

[QUOTE="Shinobishyguy"]And it's up to third parties to supply the system with those type of games, BUT it seems that they're not even bothering to try this timeTimstuff

It's up to Nintendo to maintain 3rd party relations and ensure support for their platform. If 3rd parties take their business elsewhere, then it's Nintendo's fault for not creating a viable platform.

Seriously, Nintendo's fans are as bad for Nintendo as anything else since they refuse to admit Nintendo needs to change their ways. Nintendo's own incompetence is always the last thing ever to get blamed when there's something wrong with one of Nintendo's system, and the fanboys always project it onto some external tormentor. Whenever a Nintendo system's library is drying up, the fanboy narrative is always that Nintendo's third parties betrayed them and never that Nintendo failed to maintain good relations with their third parties. It happened with the N64 and Gamecube, and it's happening again with the Wii and 3DS.

So How should nintendo maintain better relations? Stop making quality games?
Coolyfett

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

#144 Coolyfett
Member since 2008 • 6276 Posts

What's with All the Cancelled 3DS Games?

Maybe it's bad timing or just bad luck. But there's a growing list of cancelled 3DS games. That's not good.

On the list of canned 3DS games, there's My Garden, which was supposed to be a 3DS launch title. There's also Saints Row: Drive-By, also apparently canned.

Four Hudson games for the 3DS were canned, including Omega Five, Kororinpa: Marble Mania, Bonk, and Bomberman. However, these cancellations could be due to the current situation at Hudson.

BloodRayne: The Shroud wasn't canned outright, but it's development is currently on hold. Also, DJ Hero 3 hasn't been officially cancelled, but it seems like this game is going to fall by the wayside. Blame the flagging popularity of music games for that!

Assassin's Creed: Lost Legacy was officially canned, and as of yesterday, Mega Man Legends 3 bit the dust.

To add insult to injury, it was revealed this week that 3DS game Crush 3D was delayed due to uncertainly over whether or not the 3DS is going to succeed.

The Nintendo 3DS was released in late February in Japan and in late March in the West. It's only been out a few months, and it's already being battered by bad luck and strong headwinds. There are big 3DS games on the horizon, and The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D is currently out.

The issue that plagues Nintendo hardware isn't traditionally a lack of good Nintendo games, but a lack of good games from outside developers—not to say these canned games were amazing. However, if developer after developer jumps ship, what kind of message does it send studios thinking about making a 3DS title?

http://kotaku.com/5822519/whats-with-all-the-cancelled-3ds-games

Timstuff

Very solid thread. Coolyfett will by a PSV, but will not hype it. Hyping systems is becoming so embarrassing. 3DS needs and Episode IV

tomarlyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#147 tomarlyn
[QUOTE="Timstuff"]

[QUOTE="hakanakumono"]

Shinobishyguy

Nintendo should offer to pay marketing cost's, reduce license fee's even further, reduce their cut of the profits and hosts lots of crazy party's. At least for short while. This is exactly what Sony of Europe did with the PS2, GTA 3 as a timed exclusive was haggled over a drink at a bar. There's a great article that goes into detail about all this but I'm on a coffee rush and don't have the patience to find it :P
Timstuff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#148 Timstuff
Member since 2002 • 26840 Posts

[QUOTE="Timstuff"]Bubububu teh conspiracy! :cry:

Shinobishyguy

They can start by putting some faith in a franchise that is not 15-20+ years old. The current thinking in the industry is that the only games that get truly great sales on Nintendo systems are ones that have Mario on the box (or any other classic Nintendo character), and Nintendo has done little to dispel that belief. When they roll out a new franchise the marketing is half-assed at best. Nintendo only puts their best foot forward when it's to promote one of their old franchises, and so third parties can't be expected to put their best foot forward if they believe Mario is the only thing that sells well on Nintendo systems.

Also, Nintendo's royalties are still much higher than they should be, which is something that does not get brought up a lot but it still bears repeating. On the Gamecube it cost more to license a game through Nintendo than it did Sony, even though you stood to make less profit on the Gamecube than the PS2. There is no logic behind that, and yet Nintendo still acts as though it should be seen as a privelege to develop a third party game on one of their systems even though third party games sell better on the other systems.

Shinobishyguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#150 Shinobishyguy

[QUOTE="Shinobishyguy"][QUOTE="Timstuff"]Bubububu teh conspiracy! :cry:

Timstuff

They can start by putting some faith in a franchise that is not 15-20+ years old. The current thinking in the industry is that the only games that get truly great sales on Nintendo systems are ones that have Mario on the box (or any other classic Nintendo character), and Nintendo has done little to dispel that belief. When they roll out a new franchise the marketing is half-assed at best. Nintendo only puts their best foot forward when it's to promote one of their old franchises, and so third parties can't be expected to put their best foot forward if they believe Mario is the only thing that sells well on Nintendo systems.

Also, Nintendo's royalties are still much higher than they should be, which is something that does not get brought up a lot but it still bears repeating. On the Gamecube it cost more to license a game through Nintendo than it did Sony, even though you stood to make less profit on the Gamecube than the PS2. There is no logic behind that, and yet Nintendo still acts as though it should be seen as a privelege to develop a third party game on one of their systems even though third party games sell better on the other systems.

They seemed to be focusing on their old franchises on the DS..but lo and behold the 3rd party developers still found success with title like Pheonix Write and such