Lords of the Fallen - Where is the hype?

• 53 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

ironcreed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 46

User Lists: 0

#1 ironcreed
Member since 2005 • 14195 Posts

You would think that a game that is heavily inspired by the Souls series would be generating a bit more interest. Especially when you weigh in that it is one of the few games this year that is not cross-gen, and not to mention that the former producer of The Witcher is involved. I mean, it's not like the market is saturated in Souls clones. It's a good thing that we have someone taking inspiration from such an amazing formula and are trying their hand at something similar. The game looks amazing.

ironcreed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 ironcreed

@scottpsfan14: LOL, I know. That is kind of why I created the topic. Everyone is complaining about all of the cross-gen games, yet we have this full next-gen title sliding right under the radar, despite the fact that it is offering a next-gen Souls-like experience and even has the former producer of The Witcher involved. It just baffles me that more are not interested.

ironcreed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 ironcreed

@scottpsfan14: Naturally, it is from the creators of the series. That is the one game that will probably make me get a PS4 as well. But I still am happy to see someone take inspiration from such an amazing formula and make a pretty badass looking next-gen new IP with it. One that we will be able to play in October of this year.

New trailer for those interested:

Loading Video...

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#6  Edited By SolidTy
Member since 2005 • 49991 Posts

I follow developers more than concepts or franchises and I believe this game is being made by Deck13 Interactive? That's not a developer I follow. The last game I remember from them was 69/100 Jack Keane.

Deck13 is teaming up with developer CI Games who did the lame Sniper Warrior games. Sniper Warrior 1 55/100 and Sniper Warrior 2 52/10.

Two mediocre devs teaming up to make a new game won't excite me, regardless of concept. A producer is one thing, but I respect the director role of games and development studios. In fact, I give the producer credit very little attention as over the decades it meant very little to who was producing it since it's all about the director.

Nothing about this screams HYPE to me. This also why I follow developers. It leaves room for studios that have a poor track record to surprise me, but in the meantime based on track record I'm not interested in all. If it's great, I'll pick it up, but in the meantime they get no HYPE from me. I'll just take an actual Souls game or even better, a game made by Hidetaka Miyazaki. Miyazaki, who gave us Demon's Souls, the first Dark Souls 1, and the upcoming next gen only Bloodborne.

Bloodborne should be the next gen souls game that people want considering the genius who's crafting it, Mr. Miyazaki-san himself is DIRECTING Bloodborne. Bloodborne is also a next gen only title, not going to be a lame PS360 cross gen game. Good luck to Lords, I hope it's good, but in the meantime my HYPE is behind Bloodborne based on pedigree.

ironcreed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By ironcreed

@SolidTy: Yes, Bloodborne is the next actual Souls game and I'm sure it will be great. But I am still glad to see someone else take on a formula I love. Despite the developers track record, everything thing I have seen of this game looks great and I will definitely be giving it a fair shake. Developers that have made bad games can go on to do something better. Besides, it's got the old producer of The Witcher on it and hands-on previews have been really positive.

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By SolidTy

@ironcreed said:

@SolidTy: Yes, Bloodborne is the next actual Souls game and I'm sure it will be great. But I am still glad to see someone else take on a formula I love. Despite the developers track record, everything thing I have seen of this game looks great and I will definitely be giving it a fair shake. Developers that have made bad games can go on to do something better. Besides, it's got the old producer of The Witcher on it and hands-on previews have been really positive.

As I said, I leave room for poor devs to change course and I don't give the producer role any respect (based on decades of personal experience). When I say I track developers, I mean it. It's been like this for generations of gaming and it's done me no wrong. I follow select game directors. I follow select game studios, more than I do franchises and brands. It's all about the director for my system to work. I've been burned in the past with the producer role. I rarely if ever got burned by a director credit. I know what I like, I guess. Also, I wasn't the biggest fan of The Witcher, but it's a solid series. If CD Projekt RED was developing Lords, I would be on board, again due to the developer, but alas they aren't. They have Witcher 3 on the horizon though, also not a cross gen game. I own both Witcher's on PC. I love new IPs so I would love for Lords to be amazing, but I'm just a skeptic as of now.

However, as I also said, I also leave room to be surprised, it almost never happens, but it can and has happened like with Rocksteady. I can't use an exception to the rule for this Lords game, but I wish I could. It's alright though, if it's a fantastic game, I'll pick it up after the reviews and friends tell me how great it is. Good luck to Lords, I hope it's great, I would love to add it to my collection if it's good, but nothing about the developers or a producer credit elevates my HYPE. Hopefully it's amazing and puts these two devs on the map though, I want more great games on the market, for sure.

ironcreed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 ironcreed

@SolidTy: That's respectable and I completely get where you are coming from. It's a new IP from developers that have yet to prove themselves. Being compared to the Souls series leaves some pretty big shoes to fill as well. I just really like what I see and think it might end up being a rather solid attempt. But that is just me observing from the standpoint of knowing what I like.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#10  Edited By R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46201 Posts

Game doesn't have a billion dollar budget like Destiny, that explains why there is little hype

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 SolidTy

@ironcreed said:

@SolidTy: That's respectable and I completely get where you are coming from. It's a new IP from developers that have yet to prove themselves. Being compared to the Souls series leaves some pretty big shoes to fill as well. I just really like what I see and think it might end up being a rather solid attempt. But that is just me observing from the standpoint of knowing what I like.

Yeah, let's both hope it's great.

In the meantime, thanks for the thread. :)

ironcreed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By ironcreed

Here is IGN playing the PS4 version and getting decimated at Comic Con. Off screen footage.

Loading Video...

Krelian-co

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Krelian-co
Member since 2006 • 13274 Posts

Being inspired doesn't mean they will get the formula right, i am interested in the game but i will wait post release to buy it when more info about it is available.

Ballroompirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#14  Edited By Ballroompirate
Member since 2005 • 26695 Posts

Why dose it have to come out in Oct!?!?!

ironcreed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By ironcreed

@Krelian-co: I am actually kind of hoping that they do more of their own thing with it, while trying to strive for similar gameplay and challenge. Based on what they have said, that seems to be their plan.

They basically wanted to make it less grindy, but with all of the challenge and reward. They also took the recovering souls mechanic and turned it into an experience pool which depletes over time as you make your way back to where you lost it. The longer you take, the more experience you lose. However, you can bank your points at various save points if you fear that you might lose too many.

Beyond that, it will feature going back to earlier areas and unlocking new paths in a Metroidvania fashion. That should prove interesting as well. At any rate, everyone who has played it says that it controls pretty much the same and that it plays and looks great. They also say that it can really kick your ass, lol. I'm looking forward to seeing for myself.

Avatar image for ReadingRainbow4
ReadingRainbow4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By ReadingRainbow4
Member since 2012 • 18733 Posts

I'm excited for it but at the same time I'm not.

I'm honestly expecting a situation similar to bound by flame. Hopefully it's better than that however. I'd prefer the elder scrolls series to start using deeper combat systems unfortunately I fear that may never happen because the fans are holding the series back. Bethesda has taken the approach of if it's not broken why fix it? unfortunately that doesn't mean it's remotely good however.

Avatar image for CrownKingArthur
CrownKingArthur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#17 CrownKingArthur
Member since 2013 • 5262 Posts

I am not hyped, but I never get hyped.

“Hype is the path to the dark side. Hype leads to anticipation. Anticipation leads to disappointment. Disappointment leads to fanboyism.” - Yoda (Loosely quoted)

I think the game looks like it could be really excellent, however that's definitely not a hard prediction. I'll just let it release, read the buzz of a variety of normal humans (eg: non-reviewers), and make a decision at that time. it might be my decision is 'I need this now', or 'eh, i'll wait for a sale', or 'haha, they'll never get my money' - and of course anything inbetween upon the spectrum.

Avatar image for ReadingRainbow4
ReadingRainbow4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 ReadingRainbow4
Member since 2012 • 18733 Posts

@CrownKingArthur said:

I am not hyped, but I never get hyped.

“Hype is the path to the dark side. Hype leads to anticipation. Anticipation leads to disappointment. Disappointment leads to fanboyism.” - Yoda (Loosely quoted)

I think the game looks like it could be really excellent, however that's definitely not a hard prediction. I'll just let it release, read the buzz of a variety of normal humans (eg: non-reviewers), and make a decision at that time. it might be my decision is 'I need this now', or 'eh, i'll wait for a sale', or 'haha, they'll never get my money' - and of course anything inbetween upon the spectrum.

The Sith are easily the coolest tho.

enzyme36

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 enzyme36
Member since 2007 • 5557 Posts

I am currently playing DLC for the good version of Lords of the Fallen... just came out this week!

Avatar image for CrownKingArthur
CrownKingArthur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By CrownKingArthur
Member since 2013 • 5262 Posts

@ReadingRainbow4:

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#21 jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64037 Posts

@ironcreed said:

You would think that a game that is heavily inspired by the Souls series would be generating a bit more interest.

That. The market being saturated with that type of game doesn't necessarily stop fatigue (for those burn out on how the Souls games do business) nor does it overrule genuine lack of care for imitation. Why get the poor man's version, when you can get the genuine article? Noting that the game might actually turn out fantastic, and dare I say progressive in ways the Souls games aren't. The game also just suffers from limited exposure. We haven't really seen that much of it. Kind of like that Shadows of Mordor game.

Star0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Star0
Member since 2012 • 451 Posts

I'm hyped. I tend to ignore talking about games I'm really excited about to avoid any spoilers.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

@ironcreed said:

@scottpsfan14: Naturally, it is from the creators of the series. That is the one game that will probably make me get a PS4 as well. But I still am happy to see someone take inspiration from such an amazing formula and make a pretty badass looking next-gen new IP with it. One that we will be able to play in October of this year.

Loading Video...

That's a really weird music choice

ironcreed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By ironcreed

@jg4xchamp: Yeah, Shadow of Mordor is another one I am interested in. The Nemesis system looks pretty neat, as does the gameplay in an open world Mordor.

Regarding this being the poor man's version of Dark Souls, I guess that remains to be seen. Personally, I don't require it to be better. I just want it to be a fun game with a similar formula and I think it stands a decent chance of being able to pull that off for me based on what I have seen. *shrugs* Guess I'll find out in October.

Wolv25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#25 Wolv25
Member since 2014 • 39 Posts

Honestly I hope this game not will be similar too much to Dark Souls but we will see in October (I hope). Trailer and gameplay look very interesting but there it is PS4 version and I want to play in this game on my PC. I hope it not will be too much differences between platforms.

santoron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 santoron
Member since 2006 • 8584 Posts

As has been mentioned, this game is coming out in a Very crowded month and has done little to advertise itself broadly. @SolidTy's quick peek at the devs involved does little to encourage me to buy blindly.

As a fan of the Souls games I'll try to follow reviews with an open mind. It'll have to be pretty good to get a purchase this year.

ironcreed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By ironcreed
@lostrib said:

@ironcreed said:

Loading Video...

That's a really weird music choice

I actually prefer this trailer:

Loading Video...

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 61473 Posts

It definitely looks interesting. I still need to finish DSII, but this looks like a great next-gen homage.

dommeus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 dommeus
Member since 2004 • 9433 Posts

@ironcreed said:

Here is IGN playing the PS4 version and getting decimated at Comic Con. Off screen footage.

Loading Video...

That looks kinda balls and not much fun at all.

ironcreed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By ironcreed

@dommeus: Because they are absolutely horrible at playing and it is shitty off-screen footage. There are much better looks at the game.

Here:

Loading Video...

dommeus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 dommeus
Member since 2004 • 9433 Posts

@ironcreed:

Yeah fair play it does look better there, but those sections look a lot less hectic that the IGN one. I think the problem is the player character takes up so much of the screen it's sometimes hard to see whats in his periphery. The screen felt very congested, and since the gameplay is quicker than Dark Souls, it's hard to tell if it will be frustrating

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60705 Posts

It looks good to me and I'm following it.

edwardecl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 edwardecl
Member since 2005 • 2240 Posts

The game play looks like it might be average at best, and the other trailers music sounds like it would fit in a Silent Hill game better.

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 SolidTy

@edwardecl said:

The game play looks like it might be average at best, and the other trailers music sounds like it would fit in a Silent Hill game better.

I was thinking that too, plus add in a nice Burnout or Need For Speed level. Get a perfect vibe for me. Silent Hill, Need For Speed, and Pac-Man. Oh, yeah, add in Pac-man too.

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 SolidTy

@santoron said:

As has been mentioned, this game is coming out in a Very crowded month and has done little to advertise itself broadly. @SolidTy's quick peek at the devs involved does little to encourage me to buy blindly.

As a fan of the Souls games I'll try to follow reviews with an open mind. It'll have to be pretty good to get a purchase this year.

Right on! :)

I also hope more people keep quoting multiple gameplay videos. Adds texture to this tasty thread and my fingers were getting weak so I appreciate the extra scrolling exercise.

Krelian-co

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Krelian-co
Member since 2006 • 13274 Posts

@ironcreed said:

@dommeus: Because they are absolutely horrible at playing and it is shitty off-screen footage. There are much better looks at the game.

Here:

Loading Video...

That actually looked very nice, let's hope the game delivers.

OhSnapitz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By OhSnapitz
Member since 2002 • 19282 Posts

@ironcreed said:

Good Gravy! lol

Pffrbt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Pffrbt
Member since 2010 • 6612 Posts

It looks like an easy mode Souls game with shit art, characters, and presentation.

aroxx_ab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 aroxx_ab
Member since 2005 • 13236 Posts

It is my most wanted game this year and i am very hyped for it but i dont care to make threads about it.

mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 mems_1224
Member since 2004 • 56919 Posts

It looks pretty cool. Im not a big Souls fan but Lords of the Fallen looks decent.

Avatar image for Midnightshade29
Midnightshade29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 301

#42  Edited By Midnightshade29
Member since 2008 • 6003 Posts

@Ballroompirate said:

Seriously. All summer long there has been draught, even indies aren't starting til rogue legacy in August... wtf...why are games not released in June and July? People would have the money. Do the publishers think gaming is just for kids in school still? I think not. Only nintendo does that with its singular focus on "holidays". Adults buy games all through the year...enough with this fall deluge.

I am glad bloodborn isn't coming until Q1 2015.

As for this game...the armor and character model is too bulky...looks like gears of war ...and that I don't like. We will see where reviews go for this game.

Ballroompirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Ballroompirate

I think Soul fanboys are just scared a different game could knockdown their favorite game a peg or two.

Avatar image for Midnightshade29
Midnightshade29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 301

#44 Midnightshade29
Member since 2008 • 6003 Posts

@Krelian-co:

Is there actual loot in this game? I didn't buy bound by flame as you had the same weapons all game and you just upgraded them... boring. I want to collect different weapons and armours, and have character classes to choose from. I do not want to have to pick a class and be stuck using the same armor and weapons all game...to me that sounds like an action hero game like DMC not a roleplaying game. I want loot.... no loot no buy.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#45 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

@ironcreed said:

I mean, it's not like the market is saturated in Souls clones.

Give it a year.

We've already got Deep Down and this on the way. Another year, and there will be a few more high budget attempts to cash in, and low budget ripoffs.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#46 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

I just watched that gameplay video. That looks like one of those high budget clones. It's almost approaching ripoff territory.

illmatic87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 564

#47 illmatic87
Member since 2008 • 17935 Posts

Probably because it has a generic ass game title.

Lords of the, Heroes of, Heart of, Blood, Born, Cry, Dark, Fallen, Battle, Craft, Combat should all be banned from game titles starting from this post.

ironcreed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 ironcreed

@Midnightshade29: Yes, there is supposed to be quite a bit. Crafting as well.

Ballroompirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Ballroompirate

@Midnightshade29 said:

@Ballroompirate said:

Seriously. All summer long there has been draught, even indies aren't starting til rogue legacy in August... wtf...why are games not released in June and July? People would have the money. Do the publishers think gaming is just for kids in school still? I think not. Only nintendo does that with its singular focus on "holidays". Adults buy games all through the year...enough with this fall deluge.

I am glad bloodborn isn't coming until Q1 2015.

As for this game...the armor and character model is too bulky...looks like gears of war ...and that I don't like. We will see where reviews go for this game.

It's cause devs/publishers have a hard on for the holiday season

tubbyc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 tubbyc
Member since 2005 • 4004 Posts

After seeing those videos, I am a little hyped for it. I had seen a bit of it during E3 and forgot about it. It looks fantastic. It might not be very good, but I'm very interested. From Software had the low-scoring King's Field 4 (which I actually liked), then did better next time with Demon's Souls.