Looks like Naughty Dog is dying

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Edited by lostrib (44000 posts) -

The Last of Us Lead Character Artist Leaves Naughty Dog

http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/04/28/the-last-of-us-lead-character-artist-leaves-naughty-dog

Yet another employee leaves naughty dog. Obviously they must be in trouble. TLOU 2 is going to suck, confirmed!

He's the latest in a number of high profile departure from the studio. Uncharted creative director Amy Hennig left Naughty Dog earlier this year, though has since joined Visceral Games to work on its unannounced Star Wars project. This was followed by the news Justin Richmond, who was working on Uncharted PS4 as game director, also left the studio, in his case to take up a position at League of Legends dev Riot. Art director Nate Wells announced his departure to join Unfinished Swan studio Giant Sparrow last week.

Have at it, fanboys

#2 Posted by speedfreak48t5p (9903 posts) -

Looks like it might be "The Last of them"

#3 Edited by PonchoTaco (2771 posts) -

#4 Posted by foxhound_fox (91118 posts) -

This seems like an oddly large number of people to be departing the studio in such rapid succession. Administrative disagreements maybe?

#5 Edited by BattleSpectre (7564 posts) -

Someone farted in that studio, and used a permanent lasting Jutsu.

#6 Posted by StrongDeadlift (5332 posts) -

http://www.gamespot.com/forums/system-wars-314159282/dew-dew-dew-dew-dew-another-one-bites-the-dust-31233634

#7 Posted by Suppaman100 (4454 posts) -

Even when Naughty Dog is decimated, it will still be a better dev than any Xbone dev.

#8 Edited by sHaDyCuBe321 (4355 posts) -

I'm not one for doom and gloom, but this amount of people leaving a studio can't be good for the end product that they deliver...

#9 Posted by lbjkurono23 (12544 posts) -

Hate to be that person, but there's a thread on it.

#10 Posted by tormentos (20526 posts) -
@StrongDeadlift said:

http://www.gamespot.com/forums/system-wars-314159282/dew-dew-dew-dew-dew-another-one-bites-the-dust-31233634

Yeah because that title implies that a Naughty Dog employee quit...

My god..

#11 Posted by GarGx1 (3873 posts) -

Guess they want to go work somewhere else, where their creativity and ability are not stifled by restrictive publisher. Then we have the problem of only being allowed to work on tech that was out dated before even getting their hands on it.

#12 Posted by Sushiglutton (5603 posts) -

It's because Druckman reinstated prima nocte and a lot of the employees refused to accept it.

#13 Edited by misterpmedia (4610 posts) -

inb4 lock. Already a thread. Lems couldn't keep it in their pants for long :P

#14 Posted by lostrib (44000 posts) -

@StrongDeadlift said:

Yes, with a title like that I am surprised I missed it

#15 Edited by Gue1 (11598 posts) -

already a thread on this and he has only worked on 1 game which was TLOU, so he hasn't been there for long anyway just like the guy that returned to Epic after working at ND for 3 months. Now if we were talking about Amy Hennig then that's another matter because she's been there for years, and she was the main writer for Uncharted 4 but Druckmann is better anyway.

Another thing is, why no one talks about Corrinne Yu that now works for ND and she's one of the best graphic programmer in the industry instead of these bunch of nobody's that have only been there for a few months? They probably didn't make the cut to work at such a prestigious studio and were left out.

http://www.gamespot.com/forums/system-wars-314159282/dew-dew-dew-dew-dew-another-one-bites-the-dust-31233634/#74.

#16 Posted by GrenadeLauncher (6256 posts) -

Old.

Also trollbait, in b4 lock.

#17 Edited by lostrib (44000 posts) -

@Gue1 said:

already a thread on this on this and he has only worked on 1 game which was TLOU, so he hasn't been there for long anyway.

http://www.gamespot.com/forums/system-wars-314159282/dew-dew-dew-dew-dew-another-one-bites-the-dust-31233634/#74.

Over 3 years, it's a decent amount of time

Yeah, he only worked on TLOU, you know that game that people have been heralding as the best game of the gen/GOAT and mentioning how it's won so many awards. No big deal

#18 Posted by lostrib (44000 posts) -

@misterpmedia said:

excuse me?

#19 Posted by Heil68 (48307 posts) -

When you are a top 5 GOAT game maker, the stakes are high and some people crack under making world class games. SONY wishes Michael well on his future endeavors with Amy.

#20 Edited by lostrib (44000 posts) -

@Heil68 said:

When you are a top 5 GOAT game maker, the stakes are high and some people crack under making world class games. SONY wishes Michael well on his future endeavors with Amy.

...that doesn't sound right

#21 Posted by clyde46 (47819 posts) -

People leave companies all the time, unless he was fired then this is not news.

#22 Edited by misterpmedia (4610 posts) -

@lostrib said:

@misterpmedia said:

excuse me?

If you would have read that correctly you would know I was referring to the lem that made the thread before you. It's 'bad' Sony news. C'mon.

#23 Posted by lbjkurono23 (12544 posts) -

@lostrib said:

@Gue1 said:

already a thread on this on this and he has only worked on 1 game which was TLOU, so he hasn't been there for long anyway.

Yeah, he only worked on TLOU, you know that game that people have been heralding as the best game of the gen/GOAT and mentioning how it's won so many awards. No big deal

It would be really silly to attribute the amazing success of TLOU solely(or majority) to one person.

#24 Edited by lostrib (44000 posts) -

@misterpmedia said:

@lostrib said:

@misterpmedia said:

excuse me?

If you would have read that correctly you would know I was referring to the lem that made the thread before you. It's 'bad' Sony news. C'mon.

Obviously sony can't afford to pay the people at Naughty Dogs anymore.

#25 Posted by lostrib (44000 posts) -

@lbjkurono23 said:

@lostrib said:

@Gue1 said:

It would be really silly to attribute the amazing success of TLOU solely(or majority) to one person.

Lead Character artist

People loved the characters in TLOU

TLOU 2 will suck are confirmed!

^fanboy logic

#26 Posted by lbjkurono23 (12544 posts) -

@Heil68 said:

Oh looky here. Sony PR guy is right on time.

#27 Posted by Ballroompirate (23864 posts) -

Oh look one of these threads again.

Do we really need to announce every time someone leaves a company and pretend it's all doom and gloom when it's probably just people seeking a different job?

#28 Edited by lglz1337 (4442 posts) -

another TC that has no proper ps4 bash content

and it's lostrib gahahaha

#29 Posted by wolverine4262 (20208 posts) -

Seems to me that these people just got better paying job offers after the success of TLOU.

#30 Edited by PonchoTaco (2771 posts) -

@lglz1337 said:

Too bad he wasn't bashing the PS4.

#31 Posted by EducatingU_PCMR (1176 posts) -

ROFL and just another nail in the ND coffin.

How many more layoffs to accept that the studio is crumbling down?

RIP

#32 Edited by lglz1337 (4442 posts) -

@PonchoTaco: he tried, but like most nerds in this board he failed

#33 Posted by PonchoTaco (2771 posts) -

@lglz1337 said:

@PonchoTaco: he tried, but like most nerds in this board he failed

Naughty Dog =/= PS4.

Looks like you have a PS4 complex going on.

#34 Posted by intotheminx (1026 posts) -

I wonder why so many people are leaving so close together? Unhappy employees aren't a good thing.

#35 Edited by lglz1337 (4442 posts) -

@PonchoTaco: they are a owned by sony those that make playstation exclusive games go figure nerd!

#36 Posted by clyde46 (47819 posts) -

@lglz1337 said:

@PonchoTaco: they are a owned by sony those that make playstation exclusive games go figure nerd!

>Calling someone on SW a nerd

>posting himself on SW.

lel.

#37 Edited by PonchoTaco (2771 posts) -

@lglz1337 said:

TC wasn't bashing PS4, nerd! He linked to an article about someone leaving Naughty Dog, nerd!

Naughty Dog, nerd, isn't a, nerd, PS4, nerd!

#39 Posted by clyde46 (47819 posts) -

@lglz1337 said:

@PonchoTaco: keep smoking that stick nerd!

Does anyone else find this somewhat ironic?

#40 Edited by lglz1337 (4442 posts) -

@clyde46: asking for backup ? nerdo!

someone plz agree with me

#41 Edited by lostrib (44000 posts) -

@lglz1337 said:

and it's lostrib gahahaha

^mad cuz bad

Not bashing the PS4

#42 Posted by clyde46 (47819 posts) -

@lglz1337 said:

Your point being?

#43 Posted by lostrib (44000 posts) -

@lglz1337 said:

someone plz agree with me

No one agrees with you

#44 Edited by misterpmedia (4610 posts) -

@lostrib said:

@misterpmedia said:

@lostrib said:

@misterpmedia said:

excuse me?

Obviously sony can't afford to pay the people at Naughty Dogs anymore.

That's a fantastic opinion I didn't ask for. lol *thumbs up*

#45 Posted by KillzoneSnake (1877 posts) -

Yes they are dying... their games sell so much and get high ratings... wow they should shut down! Now they are blowing millions into their next AAA hit Uncharted 4! Poor ND :(

#46 Edited by finalstar2007 (26142 posts) -

The title and posting stuff like this is as dumb as those who said the new consoles wont sell and wont be big before they even release.. this is the same thing assuming ND is not good anymore before we even see the next game from them

so lulz

#47 Posted by lostrib (44000 posts) -

@KillzoneSnake said:

Yes they are dying... their games sell so much and get high ratings... wow they should shut down! Now they are blowing millions into their next AAA hit Uncharted 4! Poor ND :(

They haven't sold any games this gen

#48 Posted by Animal-Mother (27167 posts) -

@lostrib said:

@KillzoneSnake said:

Well to be fair the gen just started. We all know they're a fall dev.

#49 Edited by Wiimotefan (4145 posts) -

Character artists (game artists in general) move around all the time. Not really a biggie at all and there are literally thousands of others that are just as talented that will want to take his place. Hell, even some of the guys working under him were a bit more talented, he just had seniority over them. I'm guessing Frank Tzeng will probably move up and take his place and they'll bring in someone else to round out the team if they haven't already. I wouldn't be surprised if ND got hit with over a 1000 resumes immediately after this news hit.

Modeling and texturing characters is the same no matter where you go. Only variations are in the desired pipeline which any talented character artist will have down in a week.

#50 Edited by KillzoneSnake (1877 posts) -

@lostrib said:

@KillzoneSnake said:

So? Uncharted 4 comes out 2015 and will sell millions.