Looking back one more time when Sony saved gaming

This topic is locked from further discussion.

BadNewsBarrage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1 BadNewsBarrage
Member since 2013 • 46 Posts

Does anyone still remember E3 like it was yesterday?
It was the day where Sony flipped the bird to Microsoft and saved gaming as we know it.
They proved to the world that Sony is not a company that follows, but that Sony is a company that leads.
All Microsoft could do was apologize to their fans and remove their anti-consumer policies or they would be absolutely done for.

As long as Sony exists, Microsoft will be kept in check.

Anyway, what did this E3 mean to you? Where were you when it happened? Will you tell your grandchildren about this historical event?

Post your comments below

Mercenary848

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2 Mercenary848
Member since 2007 • 12141 Posts

Lol i wont lie that was awesome, but i would not go that far. Also i think i was on SW when it happened

MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 MonsieurX
Member since 2008 • 39858 Posts

lol

Sony saved gaming but keeps dying,sweet irony

Telekill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#4  Edited By Telekill
Member since 2003 • 12061 Posts

Nintendo saved the industry in the 1980's and Sony saved it in 2013. I can go with that.

I was watching the live stream from IGN.com at home. At the announcement, I was extatic. Glad the PS4 was pro consumer and affordable.

I preordered mine the next morning. Hard to believe I've had my new system for a month now.

clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 clyde46
Member since 2005 • 49061 Posts

Saving? I don't see gaming being saved at the moment.

BadNewsBarrage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 BadNewsBarrage

@Telekill said:

Nintendo saved the industry in the 1980's and Sony saved it in 2013. I can go with that.

I was watching the live stream from IGN.com at home. At the announcement, I was extatic. Glad the PS4 was pro consumer and affordable.

I preordered mine the next morning. Hard to believe I've had my new system for a month now.

Time went by so fast didn't it? I was in a chat that was made by a member here on Gamespot, and I remember how all the lems were in hiding for weeks.

MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 MonsieurX
Member since 2008 • 39858 Posts

And cows all left the board after KZ:SF and Knack flopped

@badnewsbarrage said:

@Telekill said:

Time went by so fast didn't it? I was in a chat that was made by a member here on Gamespot, and I remember how all the lems were in hiding for weeks.

Sony saved gaming but keeps dying,sweet irony

Avatar image for k1ngd0m4g3rul3z
K1ngd0m4g3rul3z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By K1ngd0m4g3rul3z
Member since 2013 • 179 Posts

Yeah right.

Sony did that for obvious marketability reasons.

Next gen they'll implement MS-style restrictions too, just like they did for PSN+.

I thought you guys swore it wouldn't be mandatory , ever ? And spent last 6 years bashing and ridiculing Xbox live?

Same will happen for used games and other stuff, Sony just needs some time to sweeten your medicine.

trugs26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By trugs26
Member since 2004 • 7539 Posts

Man Obama is a hero, he didn't do what Hitler did.

I wouldn't say "saved" gaming, they just didn't do something bad. I don't see that as saving. Just being neutral.

In fact, this is one of the main gripes I have with Sony.

BadNewsBarrage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 BadNewsBarrage
@trugs26 said:

I wouldn't say "saved" gaming, they just didn't do something bad. I don't see that as saving. Just being neutral.

Obama didn't prevent Hitler from doing the things he did. However Sony did prevent Microsoft from doing bad things.

trugs26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 trugs26

@badnewsbarrage said:
@trugs26 said:

Obama didn't prevent Hitler from doing the things he did. However Sony did prevent Microsoft from doing bad things.

My point is that they didn't do something they shouldn't have done anyway. Microsoft acted on their own behalf, and great, there was the knock on effect, but I don't see that as something Sony should be praised for. They didn't actually do anything.

BadNewsBarrage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By BadNewsBarrage

@trugs26 said:

@badnewsbarrage said:
@trugs26 said:

My point is that they didn't do something they shouldn't have done anyway. Microsoft acted on their own behalf, and great, there was the knock on effect, but I don't see that as something Sony should be praised for. They didn't actually do anything.

Sony gave Microsoft two options:

1) Keep the anti-consumer policies and compete with a cheaper, more powerful system with no anti-consumer policies and suffer the consequenses

or

2) Remove the garbage policies and hope for the best

If Sony just copied Microsoft, Microsoft would probably have chosen option one instead of two.

LegatoSkyheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

#13  Edited By LegatoSkyheart
Member since 2009 • 29733 Posts

I remember this and all I heard was a bunch of Circle Jerkers riding on Sony's Train because they were fed up with Xbox Live and NIntendo was too kiddy for them.

Gaming didn't need saving, but Sony did know how to stroke the Cow's back.

p3anut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 p3anut
Member since 2005 • 6610 Posts

Nintendo saved gaming with the Wii. They brought a lot of casuals to the gaming industry and gave it a big boost.

trugs26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By trugs26

@badnewsbarrage said:

@trugs26 said:

@badnewsbarrage said:
@trugs26 said:

Sony gave Microsoft two options:

1) Keep the anti-consumer policies and compete with a cheaper, more powerful system with no anti-consumer policies and suffer the consequenses

or

2) Remove the garbage policies and hope for the best

If Sony just copied Microsoft, Microsoft would probably have chosen option one instead of two.

Yes, you're repeating my point. They didn't something they shouldn't have done. Yet, they apparently saved gaming.

Regardless of the knock on effect it had, this is what happened. There should simply be hate for Microsoft, not praise for Sony. There should be appreciation for Sony that they didn't do this, but definitely not praise. As consumers, we should EXPECT these companies not to be anti-consumer, and in return, we shouldn't praise them for it. This should simply be expected. And if this is not met, then they are scrutinised. I definitely don't put this in the "Hero" category at all.

Jakandsigz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Jakandsigz
Member since 2013 • 6341 Posts
@Telekill said:

Nintendo saved the industry in the 1980's

Which NEVER HAPPENED

EVER

AT ALL

Floppy_Jim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#17 Floppy_Jim
Member since 2007 • 25931 Posts

Dunno about that. But I would have liked to be a fly on the wall when the MS execs watched those 5 minutes.

"Don, we're fucked!"

"See you guys, imma Zynga!"

misterpmedia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 misterpmedia
Member since 2013 • 6209 Posts

Heroic. Sony's vision caused MS to shit the bed entirely, although judging by XB1 sales today I have a feeling the drones would have ate up all the DRM anyway trying their best not to get any on their chin.

Telekill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Telekill

@trugs26: Obama vs Hitler. Interesting.

Hitler being responsible for killing thousands over the course of a few years. Obama sends country more than $7 trilllion further in debt in about the same time frame destroying the future of this country and millions of those in future generations.

Hmm...

I hate Obama.

Gue1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#20 Gue1
Member since 2004 • 12171 Posts

#ThankyouSony

Jakandsigz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Jakandsigz
Member since 2013 • 6341 Posts

@Telekill said:

@trugs26: Obama vs Hitler. Interesting.

Hitler being responsible for killing thousands over the course of a few years. Obama sends country more than $7 trilllion further in debt in about the same time frame destroying the future of this country and millions of those in future generations.

Hmm...

I hate Obama.

Right so is that why the economic worth under obama has not gone under since bush and has risen slowly? You do realize thos extra billions where fro BUSH as well right? It takes awhile for the previous presidents efforts to take effect.

Telekill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Telekill

@Jakandsigz: I'm only counting Obama. I can't believe he hasn't been impeached. Enough about politics though... it depesses me.

trugs26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By trugs26

@Jakandsigz: @Telekill: Come on guys. Maybe I shouldn't have used such controversial leaders. But let's try to keep this on topic though eh :)

Pikminmaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#24 Pikminmaniac
Member since 2006 • 11514 Posts

I'll remember that as the day that Sony got a standing ovation because they did absolutely nothing...

razgriz_101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#25 razgriz_101
Member since 2007 • 16875 Posts

@badnewsbarrage said:
@trugs26 said:

no they didnt, consumers did by standing against MS's policy sony took no part and basically adapted their policy to the outcry over certain policies.IF there was no backlash i could easily say Sony would follow suit and once it becomes feasable to go fully digital essetially they will.

Sony did nothing, gamers,journalists and opinions did i that situation ad many others.

Likewise Sony has been influenced by MS this gen for example mandatory PS+ subs for PS4 online gameplay, we all knew it was gonna happen its too big a goldmine to ignore.