• 56 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Edited by Blabadon (26640 posts) -

If you've ever used a Vita before, you'd know that not only did Sony make that horrible "only Sony could make something this bad" OS, it's also loaded with glitches. Downloading from the PSN Store was a coin flip on whether the download would work or if the system would freeze up. Games and apps crash randomly time-to-time (R..I.P. WipeOut 2048 record). Saves are randomly lost then occasionally come back.

It's really bad.

In fact, before launch, quite a few people were reasonably alarmed about Sony's decision to make digital saves tied to the game being on the system. Strange if you ask me, but perhaps not as strange as this (stolen from GameFAQs Vita board):

Yes, this poor fella that got that nice, expensive 32GB memory card still has 10GB left over... but can't fill them up due to Sony's incompetence with OS building. orz

Here are some ridiculous things that take up a "bubble"

- Parental Controls

- ATNT Bubble

- PS4 Remote Play

- PS3 Remote (why aren't these two tied?)

- Near (even Sony doesn't know what the hell this is)

- Maps (this app has not once ever worked on my Vita. Always crashes)

Folders you say? They can get around this problem? lolNope. You got Sony'd!

Say what you want to say about the Vita's games/software library, but can we all agree that this is among the worst combination of bad OS + bugs and glitches + stupid choices in gaming?

#2 Posted by V3rciS (2215 posts) -

How do you fill 100 application in a VITA?

#3 Edited by mems_1224 (47271 posts) -

lol sony is incapable of building a competent OS

#4 Posted by R4gn4r0k (16650 posts) -

I have to say. I thought the OS was fugly when I first saw it but I've grown fond of it now that I've used it a lot.

It's quick and easy, and great to customise. Pressing the home button twice to switch between open programs works great.

I haven't encountered any bugs, save losses, freezes or things not downloading. (meanwhile my PS Store on PS3 constantly freezes) But only being able to display 100 apps is stupid yes, especially with all the small indie games Vita is getting...

This can and should be sorted in an update.

#5 Edited by AppleFan1991 (3077 posts) -

Man, I just got my vita. I am in love with the little thing. Being able to play so many good games, and being able to do remote play and screen mirroring from my PS4. I love the games like sly Cooper, Jack and Daxter, uncharted, and even Spiderman (don't judge me Lol)

#6 Edited by Blabadon (26640 posts) -

@V3rciS said:

Minis, physical games leaving a bubble, Sony's bloatware, PS1 games, PSP games, indies, Vita games

It's not hard really

#7 Posted by hummer700 (10197 posts) -

Never had any problems. I love my vita <3

#8 Posted by joel_c17 (2861 posts) -

@WadeFan said:

Man, I just got my vita. I am in love with the little thing. Being able to play so many good games, and being able to do remote play and screen mirroring from my PS4. I love the games like sly Cooper, Jack and Daxter, uncharted, and even Spiderman (don't judge me Lol)

dont say that too loud man - you cant say anything positive about the vita and the wiiu in system wars.

#9 Posted by R4gn4r0k (16650 posts) -

@Blabadon said:

- Parental Controls

Lol, first thing I did when I got my vita was try to remove that. It even told me: pressing and holding a bubble will allow you to go into a mode where you can REMOVE bubbles, so I tried it but it didn't work.

#10 Posted by V3rciS (2215 posts) -
@Blabadon said:

@V3rciS said:

Minis, physical games leaving a bubble, Sony's bloatware, PS1 games, PSP games, indies, Vita games

It's not hard really

btw if you create folders and put the apps in there... is there still a 100 apps limit?

#11 Posted by zarshack (9936 posts) -

That's interesting, the guy must have a lot of mini's or something, i just did a quick count on my system and i only have 61 apps at this point with 4gb left on my memory card.

#12 Posted by Blabadon (26640 posts) -

@R4gn4r0k said:

@Blabadon said:

- Parental Controls

Lol, first thing I did when I got my vita was try to remove that. It even told me: pressing and holding a bubble will allow you to go into a mode where you can REMOVE bubbles, so I tried it but it didn't work.

You can't remove Sony's bloatware lol

@V3rciS said:
@Blabadon said:

@V3rciS said:

It's not hard really

btw if you create folders and put the apps in there... is there still a 100 apps limit?

Yep

#13 Posted by mariokart64fan (19522 posts) -

at least you can play your games , if any , ,

my xbox one is a complete brick without functional servers

#14 Posted by DocSanchez (1648 posts) -

Bought a vita purely for it's ps4 connectivity, and I've used it far more for the games so far. I've never had a problem with the OS. It's similar to IOS in the way you customise it. As for downloads, again, the only time I've ever had problems with it is to do with the size of the file and the tiny memory card I initially bought with it.

No idea how you are filling it with over 100 applications though with that size of card, or why you would ever need to.

#15 Edited by AznbkdX (3226 posts) -

lolololVita

I do want one though, but just can't get myself to buy one.

#16 Posted by darkangel115 (1784 posts) -

in all fairness sony doesn't make OS's that's why they just use freeBSD and web apps. basically their whole OS can be made by one decent programmer in his basement

#17 Posted by charizard1605 (58231 posts) -

I cannot imagine ever having a hundred bubbles on my Vita at once. There's not enough games on the Vita for that to happen.

Thank you Nintendo, who don't have any such unreasonable limit on the number of apps that the 3DS can display at a given time.

#18 Posted by Blabadon (26640 posts) -

@charizard1605 said:

I cannot imagine ever having a hundred bubbles on my Vita at once. There's not enough games on the Vita for that to happen.

Poor people problem

#19 Posted by ReadingRainbow4 (14453 posts) -

Surprisingly Vita's the only handheld I want.

I wonder how Snes games look on that OLED screen, hmm,

#20 Posted by charizard1605 (58231 posts) -

@Blabadon said:

@charizard1605 said:

Poor people problem

I literally get every major Vita release for free. Still can't imagine having a hundred bubbles.

#21 Posted by Truth_Hurts_U (9260 posts) -

@ReadingRainbow4:

OLED is awesome, going to be buying a 64GB card from Japan soon.

#22 Edited by DarkLink77 (31697 posts) -

I'll take your word that it sucks, but Sony has never been known for their ability to program awesome software (not games, mind you). They're a hardware company first and foremost, which is why Microsoft has been taking them to school in terms of software for the last ten years.

The upside is that they make better hardware. But this really shouldn't surprise anyone.

#23 Posted by Blabadon (26640 posts) -

@charizard1605 said:

@Blabadon said:

@charizard1605 said:

Poor people problem

I literally get every major Vita release for free. Still can't imagine having a hundred bubbles.

Non-gamer problem

#24 Posted by ReadingRainbow4 (14453 posts) -

@Truth_Hurts_U said:

@ReadingRainbow4:

OLED is awesome, going to be buying a 64GB card from Japan soon.

I bet it is, I can't wait until it becomes more common place.

#25 Posted by Slashkice (13240 posts) -

The bubble limit is really something they need to remove. I have around fifty Vita games, not to mention a collection of PSP, PS1, and PSM games. Don't have anywhere near the amount of memory card space to hold 'em all, but still. :>

#26 Posted by V3rciS (2215 posts) -

Yea but guys let's be serious... it's freaking 100 apps okay? And even if you ever reach that limit... damn, there's PSN so you can always delete apps you don't use and redownload them later. Everything's there attached to your account.

Still let's be real... there's absolutely no way you constantly using all 100 apps so that you can't delete even single one.

#27 Posted by fusionhunter (2009 posts) -

I'm sure you use all 100 of them every day.

#28 Posted by juarbles (801 posts) -

This xboner is desperate for attention. First become a real gamer xboner and then your urge to whine about every little thing will go away.

#29 Posted by LegatoSkyheart (25600 posts) -

@V3rciS said:

It's pretty easy once you find out that the Vita has awesome games

#30 Edited by SolidTy (43825 posts) -

I have no problems with the OS on the Vita at all. I never had an issue...but I do have a major issue with the 100 limitation. I use my handhelds in my travels, but I have no major issues with any OS, and I've never suffered bugs or PS store issues described in the OP.

However, regarding the 100 limit...This sucks and I hope Sony fix it with a patch like they have done in the past for the Vita. I already remember some other limit was in place when the machine launched, and they fixed it, it had to do with bubbles or something. Eh.

It's quite silly to artificially limit how many legit games can be held on a legit memory card. This isn't a problem for me, but it's certainly an issue I can freely say I hope Sony rectifies it for PS+ and Handheld gamers.

Having said my stance, 100 apps sure is a lot. Lordy, I can't imagine what that would be like to deal with...It's pretty excessive, but excessive or not, Sony should fix this because PS+ is going to continue making this issue more apparent for more gamers. More and more games are rolling off, and people may want access to them, plus, the little known 64GB memory card for Vita will eventually come to the West.

#31 Posted by PSP107 (11925 posts) -

@Blabadon:

"- Near (even Sony doesn't know what the hell this is)'

lol

#32 Posted by charizard1605 (58231 posts) -

@SolidTy said:

I have no problems with the OS on the Vita at all. I never had an issue...but I do have a major issue with the 100 limitation. I use my handhelds in my travels, but I have no major issues with any OS, and I've never suffered bugs or PS store issues described in the OP.

However, regarding the 100 limit...This sucks and I hope Sony fix it with a patch like they have done in the past for the Vita. I already remember some other limit was in place when the machine launched, and they fixed it, it had to do with bubbles or something. Eh.

It's quite silly to artificially limit how many legit games can be held on a legit memory card. This isn't a problem for me, but it's certainly an issue I can freely say I hope Sony rectifies it for PS+ and Handheld gamers.

Having said my stance, 100 apps sure is a lot. Lordy, I can't imagine what that would be like to deal with, excessive or not, Sony should fix this because the 64MB memory cards will eventually come to the West.

Initially, they used to allow only 100 bubbles, with no folders.

Now they have folders, but the 100 bubble total limit still applies (what this means is, you can't have, say, 10 folders of 100 bubbles each- the bubbles within the folders counts towards the overall total of 1000).

#33 Posted by Blabadon (26640 posts) -

@juarbles said:

This xboner is desperate for attention. First become a real gamer xboner and then your urge to whine about every little thing will go away.

wut

Eat a Snickers

#34 Edited by SolidTy (43825 posts) -

@charizard1605 said:

@SolidTy said:

Having said my stance, 100 apps sure is a lot. Lordy, I can't imagine what that would be like to deal with...It's pretty excessive, but excessive or not, Sony should fix this because PS+ is going to continue making this issue more apparent for more gamers. More and more games are rolling off, and people may want access to them, plus, the little known 64GB memory card for Vita will eventually come to the West.

Now they have folders, but the 100 bubble total limit still applies (what this means is, you can't have, say, 10 folders of 100 bubbles each- the bubbles within the folders counts towards the overall total of 1000).

Yeah, I remembered it was something bubble-icious I was never going to deal with, but I couldn't remember the details. I just remember Sony patched it and people were happy. I never dealt with the original no folder problem or 100 bubble problems as I had a small Vita library. Leave it to the handheld enthusiasts to specifically remember the details for me.

Thanks for the reminder. No point in buying a 32GB , or even 64GB card if gamers can't use that space.

I wouldn't mind looking at what this guy has on his Vita, I wonder if he has too many minis. In that case, I would put those on the PSP or PS3 as they can be played there, free up bubbles for more Vita games. Obviously, he shouldn't have to do that, but it's what I would do in a pinch.

#35 Posted by ConanTheStoner (5651 posts) -

You know, I've never actually seen a Vita in person. Pretty weird, I can't say that about any other mainstream gaming device.

#36 Edited by charizard1605 (58231 posts) -

@SolidTy said:

@charizard1605 said:

@SolidTy said:

Yeah, I remembered it was something bubble-icious I was never going to deal with, but I couldn't remember the details. I just remember Sony patched it and people were happy. I never dealt with the original no folder problem or 100 bubble problems as I had a small Vita library. Leave it to the handheld enthusiasts to specifically remember the details for me.

Thanks for the reminder. No point in buying a 32GB , or even 64GB card if gamers can't use that space.

I wouldn't mind looking at what this guy has on his Vita, I wonder if he has too many minis. In that case, I would put those on the PSP or PS3 as they can be played there, free up bubbles for more Vita games. Obviously, he shouldn't have to do that, but it's what I would do in a pinch.

Haha, no problem.

I was actually only kidding about not having enough content to reach a hundred bubbles- it should be fairly easy, with Vita games (especially given PS+), PSOne Classics, and PSP Minis and Mobile. Not to mention the fact that 20 of the 100 spots are taken by pre-installed apps.

#37 Posted by carljohnson3456 (12393 posts) -

I love my Vita.

#38 Edited by Bigboi500 (30056 posts) -

lolol Vita alright, why the fuck can't I delete Welcome Park, Sony? You suck!

#39 Edited by PurpleMan5000 (7323 posts) -

You would think that somebody at Sony would have encountered this problem by now and it would be fixed in a system update. How hard could it be?

#40 Posted by RimacBugatti (1287 posts) -

Is the new version out yet?

#41 Posted by ninjapirate2000 (3056 posts) -

I'm waiting for the Vita 2000 master race. I don't want any of that OLED over saturation ruining my eyes.

#42 Posted by inb4uall (5806 posts) -

@Blabadon said:

@charizard1605 said:

Poor people problem

No, he just chooses to have things like a decent laptop or a smart phone instead of putting ALL of his money into a handheld device.

#43 Posted by charizard1605 (58231 posts) -

@Bigboi500 said:

It's not like you can delete 'Health And Safety Warning' on your 3DS...

#44 Posted by Bigboi500 (30056 posts) -

@charizard1605 said:

@Bigboi500 said:

It's not like you can delete 'Health And Safety Warning' on your 3DS...

Yeah but Welcome Park comes across as an actual game, or at least Sony tries to show it that way.

#45 Edited by iwasgood2u (819 posts) -

I only have about 15 games on my vita. That tells you something. I dont have time to go through 100 games. My ps3 I bought only about 40 games. Found out I have a busy life and can only dedicate to one game beat it sell it and get another game. By the time for me to buy new game .... the good games dropped to 20-30$ . I do save alot of money for gaming this way. Its a good thing financially and when its time to go to bed I had to slap my wrist to put the controller down. Work comes first game later.

The remote play is actually pretty good. You can take it with anywhere in the house even to the restroom lol if you know what I mean. You can even go on twitch with. Suprisingly no lag. Its like watching streaming videos on top of another stream. Suprisingly good. Reason for no latency is because of the way the vita and ps4 is connected to eachother through something like wifi direct. Yes wifi direct is very awesome.

#46 Edited by Blabadon (26640 posts) -

@inb4uall said:

@Blabadon said:

@charizard1605 said:

Poor people problem

No, he just chooses to have things like a decent laptop or a smart phone instead of putting ALL of his money into a handheld device.

You don't know him!

#47 Edited by bbkkristian (14956 posts) -

@V3rciS: mobile games and indies everywhere.

#48 Edited by lild1425 (6757 posts) -

I have both handhelds and end up playing the Vita way more. You can hate on the OS all you want, but at least the hardware isn't 10 years old like the 3DS.

#49 Posted by Nightflash28 (2123 posts) -

I honestly see this as a non-point. Even if you store 100 apps on your Vita, you probably won't use all of those regularly.
Delete the games you don't currently play anymore. If you even feel like playing one of them again, re-download.

Annoying? Possibly, but I seriously have troubles believing that someone with more than 80 games or whatever uses all of those on a regular basis.

I'd file this as a "too much money" / "hoarder" problem. :P

#50 Posted by AtariKidX (6282 posts) -

@Blabadon: lololol WiiU.