LittleBigPlanet can be the most rewarding game ever.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by IcyFlamez96 (1355 posts) -

If you put work into it at least. If you're creative and get halfway decent at the level editor. Just seeing the things you make and playing them just gives you such a great feeling of accomplishment. Posting your level and seeing that 50+ people are playing at once and netting 50000 plays in the long run, that's just amazing. No feeling in a game has ever come close to topping that for me.

#2 Edited by Demonjoe93 (9627 posts) -

I could never get into it; the platforming was too awkward and floaty for me.

#3 Edited by IcyFlamez96 (1355 posts) -

I think the platforming mechanics were mediocre as well. I played a lot of other levels, but it wasn't exactly because I found them "fun" to play in the traditional sense. (Don't get me wrong, some were genuinely fun, and there were MANY fun multiplayer levels). Most of my enjoyment in playing user levels were just seeing what people can do with the mechanics, and they helped me get my own inspiration for my levels. I always loved to create levels, even on the simplest flash games. So this was like the perfect game for me lol

#4 Posted by NYrockinlegend (2025 posts) -

@IcyFlamez96:

I agree that it's an effective toolkit for aspiring game designers or level editors. It's got a steep learning curve and will take up several long hours to create at least a decent level, but it's got a lot of neat tools to use for customization, building, and designing levels. It's a pretty good level editor and it's fully featured. If you have the time and patience for it, it can really be worthwhile to experiment with.

#5 Edited by RVCA823 (2839 posts) -

I was never able to get into it, despite trying. I'm encountering the same frustrations with Tearaway. I can't seem to spot what objectively makes them so critically acclaimed, either--maybe it's the sandbox aspect? The forced charm and storybook narration get irritating very quickly.

#6 Posted by GreySeal9 (24428 posts) -

The gameplay left a hell of lot to be desired but I liked the game's style and the level editor was cool, even if it should have been easier to use.

#7 Posted by mems_1224 (47254 posts) -

Its a shame the gameplay was never really good in those games.

#8 Posted by Renegade311 (334 posts) -

Got bored of it, never understood the appeal of these creation games, didn't like Spore either. Will probably try Project Spark and get bored of that in five minutes too.

#9 Edited by seanmcloughlin (38216 posts) -

@mems_1224 said:

Its a shame the gameplay was never really good in those games.

Yeah it was really clumsy platforming

#10 Posted by treedoor (7648 posts) -

The platforming was so bad that I never wanted to create anything for it.

#11 Posted by IcyFlamez96 (1355 posts) -

@GreySeal9:

If simple means the editor should be simpler overall, then heck no. It's easy once you figure out what everything does.

#12 Posted by John_Matherson (2031 posts) -

Little big planet 3d please and thank you.

#13 Posted by uninspiredcup (8938 posts) -

Poor mans Mario.

#14 Posted by IcyFlamez96 (1355 posts) -

@uninspiredcup:

More like smart man's Mario.

#15 Posted by uninspiredcup (8938 posts) -

@IcyFlamez96 said:

@uninspiredcup:

My friend, pc games come with proper game making tools. We are highly unimpressed by this title due to dramatically higher, standardized, standards.

#16 Posted by hippiesanta (9890 posts) -

@Demonjoe93 said:

I could never get into it; the platforming was too awkward and floaty for me.

It's floaty for a reason ....... and the game level was fantastic

#17 Edited by bbkkristian (14955 posts) -

@John_Matherson said:

Little big planet 3d please and thank you.

Would that be Tearaway?

#18 Posted by Jankarcop (9618 posts) -

pc has better stuff,

#19 Edited by IcyFlamez96 (1355 posts) -

@uninspiredcup:

Hey, I was only comparing this to Mario. Not PC stuff.

#20 Edited by GreySeal9 (24428 posts) -

@IcyFlamez96 said:

@GreySeal9:

If simple means the editor should be simpler overall, then heck no. It's easy once you figure out what everything does.

Accessibility/=/dumbing something down.

#21 Edited by John_Matherson (2031 posts) -
@uninspiredcup said:

@IcyFlamez96 said:

@uninspiredcup:

My friend, pc games come with proper game making tools. We are highly unimpressed by this title due to dramatically higher, standardized, standards.

Fck off. Shut up. PC gamers have mods and tools like Gary's mod and such, but don't try to use those to undermine LBP. PC will never be able to make creation as accessible and user friendly and just overall packaged as LBP. Stop being delusional and trying to hide behind PC mods. PC games are as overrated and annoying as hermits.

#22 Edited by IcyFlamez96 (1355 posts) -

@GreySeal9:

Like how? You couldn't make LBP's level editor more accessible without dumbing it down. All you have to do is know what most of the tools do and you're good.

#23 Posted by ShepardCommandr (2740 posts) -

@renegade311 said:

Got bored of it, never understood the appeal of these creation games, didn't like Spore either. Will probably try Project Spark and get bored of that in five minutes too.

#24 Edited by uninspiredcup (8938 posts) -

@John_Matherson said:
@uninspiredcup said:

@IcyFlamez96 said:

@uninspiredcup:

Fck off. Shut up. PC gamers have mods and tools like Gary's mod and such, but don't try to use those to undermine LBP. PC will never be able to make creation as accessible and user friendly and just overall packaged as LBP. Stop being delusional and trying to hide behind PC mods. PC games are as overrated and annoying as hermits.

But I'm right.

#25 Edited by jg4xchamp (48352 posts) -

It's a fun series to create, share, and play around in user generated levels. Yes a lot of it is amateur hour stuff, and no it's not a truly great platformer. But the cynics tend to miss the point of that game with the constant "herpa derp the platforming mechanics suck'. Which to be fair they do, but the game is delightful and highly entertaining so long as you're willing to meet it half way. And given the nature of that game, it shouldn't be that hard to meet the game half way.

Excellent? great? hell no

Fun? Absolutely.

#26 Edited by GunSmith1_basic (9818 posts) -

I loved the level editor but I never shared anything. I didn't make levels. I made machines and cool little experimental stuff. I once tried to make a level but it glitched out or something. That was a long time ago.

There was one machine I was really proud of. It was a giant wheel that the sackboy was inside of. There were switches on either side of a compartment for direction. The switches powered rockets embedded within the wheel. A gravity based switch controlled stability sensors to keep the compartment that the sackboy was in from spinning. The stability mechanism was a golf ball with switches almost touching it's outside edges. To help stability of the sackboy compartment, I put bearings made of slippery glass touching slippery glass edges on the wheel and the compartment, which had rubber lining the outside.

#27 Edited by PsychoLemons (2111 posts) -

It could've been better. I just wish that the level editor was a lot easier to use and navigate but it's not; plus the physics in this game almost kills it.

#28 Posted by Rage010101 (5470 posts) -

The problem with LBP is that all emphasis is put on creation, but its platforming is too simple and extremely boring.

#29 Posted by TheGuardian03 (21777 posts) -

The platforming needs some work but overall it's a fun game for the family and friends to play with, i know i had alot of fun playing this game with my brother, some levels and some of the deaths made me ROFL, it's pretty good series, they need a 3d one though.

#30 Posted by g0ddyX (3914 posts) -

The most creative console game ever made. Some of the levels made are just pure genious and fun to play.
A clever and gem of a game. Highly underrated.
Customizing your 'sackboy' or 'sackgirl' was pretty cool.
The game got many awards dont forget.

Looking forward to the next gen version, hopefully there is.

#31 Edited by Caseytappy (2147 posts) -

No matter how much effort you put in there you always end up with a sub par platformer .

It looks nice though ,

#32 Posted by VanDammFan (4285 posts) -

LBP is one of the only games from last gen i would even consider missing if I sold my PS3. Simply brilliant in every way.Sure the mechanics could be a lil iffy..but otherwise that game is perfection.Still play it..

#33 Posted by XboxDone74 (2047 posts) -

Little Big Planet pretty much cemented the PS3 as the gaming console with "millions of exclusives." There's practically unending content to download when it comes to LBP games. All the other systems better step their game up. They are dealing with the Playstation, which now, thanks to LBP, has millions of exclusives. PC, specifically, got owned bad.

#34 Posted by IcyFlamez96 (1355 posts) -

@ShepardCommandr:

@ShepardCommandr said:

@renegade311 said:

How could you not see the appeal in creation games? It different if you guys personally don't like them, but is it really that hard to see the appeal? I mean c'mon, it's not rocket science.

#35 Edited by Riverwolf007 (23865 posts) -

no amount of level creation can fix the sloppy controls.