Lightning Returns looks better than I thought.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By GreySeal9
Member since 2010 • 28247 Posts

There are still aspects of the game that don't seem particularly appealing: the story still seems really corny (though I realize I can't judge it properly right now); I don't like that you don't have a party; the time idea still sounds like a forced Majora's Mask rip; and the graphics don't look as good as FF13. That being said, after getting caught up on some of the footage I missed, I'm actually really digging the art design (some of the environments are extremely imaginative-looking) and combat itself looks pretty good, even though I'd prefer a full party. Also, the freedom of movement looks like a welcome change.

What do you guys think?

JangoWuzHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 JangoWuzHere
Member since 2007 • 19032 Posts

All the previews for this game have been largely positive. I also think it looks pretty good.

fend_oblivion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#3 fend_oblivion
Member since 2006 • 6760 Posts

Have they fixed that awful framerate? One of the early gameplay vids was like a slide show.

Avatar image for princessgomez92
PrincessGomez92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 201

User Lists: 5

#4 PrincessGomez92
Member since 2013 • 5747 Posts

Looks like it's going to be the 2014 GOTY. Masterpiece.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5 Lulu_Lulu
Member since 2013 • 19564 Posts

in before "The player can control the protagonists movement in combat now ? They dumbed it down for casuals ! Hardcore gamers don't need to move !"

LMAO ! :D I swear one of these days you're gona hear someone say that.

finalfantasy94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By finalfantasy94
Member since 2004 • 27442 Posts

@fend_oblivion said:

Have they fixed that awful framerate? One of the early gameplay vids was like a slide show.

IGN has a video of the JPN copy so you can check there.On topic I cant wait to play it. I enjoyed both 13 games and this one from the looks of it will be another I enjoy.

Gue1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#7 Gue1
Member since 2004 • 12171 Posts

Sorry guys, the game's a piece of shit.

5/10

finalfantasy94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By finalfantasy94

@Gue1 said:

Sorry guys, the game's a piece of shit.

5/10

Meh ill wait to see more opinions.To be honest though I can see the time restraint being a bother for me.The sidequest thing I dont think will be a problem for me. I mean I got through xenoblade and those sidequest were just crap. Though its not surprising you call shit once 1 review was shown seeing how you despise the 13 games.

jer_1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#9  Edited By jer_1
Member since 2003 • 7451 Posts

It's made by square so it's probably going to suck as usual.

rosko123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 rosko123
Member since 2006 • 556 Posts

I didn't really enjoy XIII so I haven't played any of the spin off games since. I hope this is good even though I won't get it as i'm really not invested in that story but if it just means future FF games will be better then i'm all for it.

Jakandsigz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Jakandsigz
Member since 2013 • 6341 Posts

@GreySeal9 said:

: the story still seems really corny (though I realize I can't judge it properly right now);

It's a sequel to XIII and XIII=2, so basically continuing to have no real story and a bunch of people saying things and doing things without any of it being connected together. It's not possible logically and objectively for this series to have even a "passable" story.

finalfantasy94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By finalfantasy94

@Jakandsigz said:

@GreySeal9 said:

: the story still seems really corny (though I realize I can't judge it properly right now);

It's a sequel to XIII and XIII=2, so basically continuing to have no real story and a bunch of people saying things and doing things without any of it being connected together. It's not possible logically and objectively for this series to have even a "passable" story.

There was a story in 13 from what iv played though some parts I remember being hard to follow. It even had a nice concret conclusion. Then it went all time travel with 13-2 with a cliff hanger. Now I hope lighting returns can give us a nice concret conclusion.

kemar7856

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#13 kemar7856
Member since 2004 • 11783 Posts

who cares about this when FF15 is out next year

2mrw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#14 2mrw
Member since 2008 • 6205 Posts

For some reason, FF for me is a great gameplay and a great plot that is centered around a love stroy .... FFxiii had a great gameplay but the plot and the love story in it sucked hard, overall FFXIII universe isn't appealing to me to revisit it.

nini200

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By nini200
Member since 2005 • 11484 Posts

I'm so glad they are finishing this saga with this entry. Lightning is possibly one of the worst protagonists Square Enix has ever made.

resevl4rlz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By resevl4rlz
Member since 2005 • 3848 Posts

ill wait till it hits the clearance bin for a crappy series

Sagem28

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Sagem28
Member since 2010 • 10498 Posts

I played it at Gamescom this year.
It really isn't that good. Framerate is questionable and the battle system is mind numbingly dull.

mooooo99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#18 mooooo99
Member since 2008 • 1252 Posts

game looks really good, however i was always going to be buying myself a copy.. hoping to get myself a collectors edition! im excited!

ohgeez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By ohgeez
Member since 2011 • 919 Posts

@GreySeal9 said:

the story still seems really corny (though I realize I can't judge it properly right now)

Basic designing principles suggest that if you build a structure on top of a pile of shit, the structure won't hold up because of the shaky ground it was built in. I see no possible way the story for this game can be good, given the past two.

ohgeez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By ohgeez
Member since 2011 • 919 Posts

@finalfantasy94 said:

@Jakandsigz said:

@GreySeal9 said:

There was a story in 13 from what iv played though some parts I remember being hard to follow. It even had a nice concret conclusion. Then it went all time travel with 13-2 with a cliff hanger. Now I hope lighting returns can give us a nice concret conclusion.

The story in FFXIII and its characters seemed to be written by a 12 year old.

Plot summary: One dimensional stereotype characters go on a quest because "Fate". Said characters contemplate what to do for 40 hours while their one dimensional personalities interact. To add to the mystery, none of our heroes know whats going on so what's supposed to happen next is literally spelled out for everyone, often times by nefarious villains. In the end, fate happens and everyone is saved by a deus ex machina.

insanegame377

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 insanegame377
Member since 2013 • 392 Posts

Why Square are persisting with milking FFXIII for what its worth is beyond me. Its the worst game in the series, and Lightning is not only one of the worst FF protagonists, but also one of the most boring in RPG history. I for one wont be buying, I lost faith in the FF franchise years ago.

silversix_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By silversix_
Member since 2010 • 26347 Posts

I heard japanese players aren't buying it because you can't look at her panties so no fapping is included in the box

finalfantasy94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 finalfantasy94

@insanegame377 said:

Why Square are persisting with milking FFXIII for what its worth is beyond me. Its the worst game in the series, and Lightning is not only one of the worst FF protagonists, but also one of the most boring in RPG history. I for one wont be buying, I lost faith in the FF franchise years ago.

Shes actually one of my favorite female characters in FF with tifa being number 1. None of the other females iv interacted with in previous games made any real impact on me.Unless vivi is a female cant remember if it is.

Avatar image for deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
Member since 2012 • 12449 Posts

Stopped reading at "majoras mask rip" one game uses a timescale limit (even though its not the same mechanic) and suddenly "rip" is coined.

nini200

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By nini200

@insanegame377 said:

I agree wholeheartedly with this. I enjoyed 13 a bit but Lightning was a HUGE fail as a protagonist. I do not like her dull, "I can beat anything", non emotions attitude. She is an emotionless failure.

@finalfantasy94 said:

@insanegame377 said:

Shes actually one of my favorite female characters in FF with tifa being number 1. None of the other females iv interacted with in previous games made any real impact on me.Unless vivi is a female cant remember if it is.

Don't EVER put the great Tifa in the same sentence with such trash as Lightning.

PrincessGomez92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By PrincessGomez92

Lightning, the greatest female character in gaming. Thank you Square Enix.

finalfantasy94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By finalfantasy94

@nini200 said:

@insanegame377 said:

I agree wholeheartedly with this. I enjoyed 13 a bit but Lightning was a HUGE fail as a protagonist. I do not like her dull, "I can beat anything", non emotions attitude. She is an emotionless failure.

@finalfantasy94 said:

@insanegame377 said:

Don't EVER put the great Tifa in the same sentence with such trash as Lightning.

I just did deal with it.I find both to be great characters that stand side by side with on another.I dont get the hate of lighting. I dont see nothing wrong with her and she comes off as a strong female lead.

nini200

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 nini200

Lightning's saga is over after this! Thank You Square Enix :D

finalfantasy94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By finalfantasy94

@nini200 said:

Lightning's saga is over after this! Thank You Square Enix :D

to be honest im more surprised they kept going since 13 had a nice wrap up to the story.Still enjoyed 13-2 and cant wait for LR.Still there wasint a need for another really.

PrincessGomez92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 PrincessGomez92

Lightning's Saga, the first great FF games.

nini200

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By nini200

@finalfantasy94 said:

@nini200 said:

@finalfantasy94 said:

@insanegame377 said:

I just did deal with it.I dont get the hate of lighting. I dont see nothing wrong with her and she comes off as a strong female lead.

I'm all for character creativity and originality but Lightning just doesn't have much of either. She acts like she doesn't have any emotions. She is very dull as a character. Very unoriginal and uncreative character outside of her weapon. Fang was much better than Lightning by a LONG shot and she isn't even my favorite character from that game either. But at least Fang had some kind of emotion. Lightning was just Meh at best.

Notice how her face is the exact same in every one of those photos minus the last one. That last one is probably the most emotion you'll see from Lightning and that's not saying much. She is a pitiful lead. I'm soooo glad this saga is ending and we'll never see Lightning again after this. Unfortunately other good characters from this saga will be gone too.

Thank You Square Enix. :D

finalfantasy94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 finalfantasy94

@nini200 said:

@finalfantasy94 said:

@nini200 said:

@finalfantasy94 said:

@insanegame377 said:

I just did deal with it.I dont get the hate of lighting. I dont see nothing wrong with her and she comes off as a strong female lead.

I'm all for character creativity and originality but Lightning just doesn't have much of either. She acts like she doesn't have any emotions. She is very dull as a character. Very unoriginal and uncreative character outside of her weapon. Fang was much better than Lightning by a LONG shot and she isn't even my favorite character from that game either. But at least Fang had some kind of emotion. Lightning was just Meh at best.

Notice how her face is the exact same in every one of those photos minus the last one. That last one is probably the most emotion you'll see from Lightning and that's not saying much. She is a pitiful lead. I'm soooo glad this saga is ending and we'll never see Lightning again after this. Unfortunately other good characters from this saga will be gone too.

Thank You Square Enix. :D

eh just dont agree. I didint find her lacking emotion. I admit shes a quite character in tone but I dont find that a negative. She came off as a determined strong female character from my POV.

nini200

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 nini200

@finalfantasy94 said:

eh just dont agree. I didint find her lacking emotion. I admit shes a quite character in tone but I dont find that a negative. She came off as a determined strong female character from my POV.

Lack of emotion doesn't make a strong lead in my opinion but you're entitled to yours and that's fine.

finalstar2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#35  Edited By finalstar2007
Member since 2008 • 27952 Posts

Couldnt care less about the graphics, the framerates or anything else.. give it a 0/10 and i'll still go out and buy it.. cant wait to get the LE

Jakandsigz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Jakandsigz

@finalfantasy94 said:

@Jakandsigz said:

@GreySeal9 said:

No there wasn't The whole first several many hours of the games meaning, point, plot and execution was cut and changed into something else at the half-way point. The whole game is full of unconnected threads of BS.

Jakandsigz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Jakandsigz

@ohgeez said:

@finalfantasy94 said:

@Jakandsigz said:

@GreySeal9 said:

The story in FFXIII and its characters seemed to be written by a 12 year old.

Plot summary: One dimensional stereotype characters go on a quest because "Fate". Said characters contemplate what to do for 40 hours while their one dimensional personalities interact. To add to the mystery, none of our heroes know whats going on so what's supposed to happen next is literally spelled out for everyone, often times by nefarious villains. In the end, fate happens and everyone is saved by a deus ex machina.

You can't summarize the plot because there's no connection in many parts of the game. Because your very first sentence is cut at the halfway point. The whole reason for most of the game is literally throw in the trash later. At that point you are playing for no reason unless you want to beat the game because you wasted enough time, like the battle system, or want to see more hellghast rip-offs.

GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 GreySeal9

@finalfantasy94 said:

@insanegame377 said:

Vivi is male.

GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By GreySeal9
@MBirdy88 said:

Stopped reading at "majoras mask rip" one game uses a timescale limit (even though its not the same mechanic) and suddenly "rip" is coined.

It's too bad you stopped reading. The rest of my post would have blown your mind with its brilliance and beauty.

Kid_Black_Star

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#40 Kid_Black_Star
Member since 2009 • 506 Posts

Honestly we will just have to wait and see. There is something about Lighting Returns that rubs me all wrong.

GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By GreySeal9

@nini200 said:

@insanegame377 said:

@finalfantasy94 said:

@insanegame377 said:

I'll go one step further and say Lightning>Tifa. Tifa is such a bland character if you ignore her tits and sexy outfit. I don't think she ever said anything remotely interesting.

Honestly, the FFVII cast in general doesn't do much for me. While I like some of the characters, the only one that made any real lasting impression on me was Red XIII.

nini200

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 nini200

@GreySeal9 said:

@nini200 said:

@insanegame377 said:

@finalfantasy94 said:

@insanegame377 said:

I'll go one step further and say Lightning>Tifa. Tifa is such a bland character if you ignore her tits and sexy outfit. I don't think she ever said anything remotely interesting.

Honestly, the FFVII cast in general doesn't do much for me. While I like some of the characters, the only one that made any real lasting impression on me was Red XIII.

LOL

finalfantasy94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By finalfantasy94

@GreySeal9 said:

@nini200 said:

@insanegame377 said:

@finalfantasy94 said:

@insanegame377 said:

If I had to pick the character I liked the least for FF7 I think that would go to aireth. I dont know she just didint jive with me and she only hung out with cloud cause he reminded her of her dead BF and I cant remember if she knew he was dead.

nini200

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By nini200

@finalfantasy94 said:

@GreySeal9 said:

@nini200 said:

@insanegame377 said:

@finalfantasy94 said:

@insanegame377 said:

If I had to pick the character I liked the least for FF7 I think that would go to aireth. I dont know she just didint jive with me and she only hung out with cloud cause he reminded her of her dead BF and I cant remember if she knew he was dead.

I agree. Aerith was a useless douche-bag.