Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII IGN Review

• 111 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Edited by charizard1605 (58856 posts) -

7/10

Flop confirmed

'Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII is a strange end to Square's trilogy. Its fresh combat system is a great success, and the well-designed world provides more than enough reason to play through the end of Lightning's journey. At the same time, the incredibly inconsistent tone and underwhelming plot caused any story-based satisfaction to completely elude me. Lightning Returns is a good game, but one that forgets that a big part of what make the Final Fantasy games so memorable is how they created characters we could care about.'

#2 Edited by ninjapirate2000 (3097 posts) -

Idk what square was thinking with this trilogy. Complete garbage.

#3 Edited by RadioGooGoo (210 posts) -

7 from Game Informer, 7 from IGN. Sounds like a good game for people that were looking forward to it. People that weren't should avoid as originally planned.

#4 Posted by Pray_to_me (2920 posts) -

FF13 was complete trash but the graphics were beautiful.

#5 Posted by no-scope-AK47 (2819 posts) -

I will get it I liked the demo.

#6 Posted by Joedgabe (5129 posts) -

7 from IGN ? god damn.. O_O I wonder how much square paid them for that 7.

#7 Posted by finalfantasy94 (26659 posts) -
@charizard1605 said:

7/10

Flop confirmed

'Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII is a strange end to Square's trilogy. Its fresh combat system is a great success, and the well-designed world provides more than enough reason to play through the end of Lightning's journey. At the same time, the incredibly inconsistent tone and underwhelming plot caused any story-based satisfaction to completely elude me. Lightning Returns is a good game, but one that forgets that a big part of what make the Final Fantasy games so memorable is how they created characters we could care about.'

Flop...how? Anywho cant wait to play the game.

#8 Posted by no-scope-AK47 (2819 posts) -

Sounds like they didn't like the story's ending hence the 7.

#9 Posted by Bigboi500 (30295 posts) -

Already paid for. Solid combat is what I wanted to hear.

#10 Posted by finalfantasy94 (26659 posts) -

@no-scope-AK47 said:

That does seem to be the main grip they had.

#11 Edited by PrincessGomez92 (3650 posts) -

Lightning Returns is a good game.

Duh.

#12 Posted by no-scope-AK47 (2819 posts) -

@finalfantasy94 said:

@no-scope-AK47 said:

That does seem to be the main grip they had.

I just hope they have some insane boss fights like the last game hunts.

#13 Edited by silversix_ (14982 posts) -

Anyone had expectation from this clothing simulator?

#14 Posted by chessmaster1989 (29503 posts) -

Expected the story to be garbage. Am glad to hear it's got a good battle system though. Might make it worth playing.

#15 Posted by AmazonAngry (945 posts) -

I downloaded the demo. The combat was surprisingly fun and a very pretty game. But just never connected with the Lightning character.

#16 Posted by da_illest101 (7550 posts) -

I can't wait for it to come out, after that the crap that was the FF XIII series can finally be flushed down the toilet and we can move on to better things

#17 Edited by ConanTheStoner (5937 posts) -

Can't really flop a game with no hype though... unless you're just joking on the fact that so many gamers treat anything below a 9 as unplayable garbage.

Good to hear that the game apparently has some degree of redeeming value though. Still wouldn't play it for free.

#18 Posted by finalstar2007 (25334 posts) -

Day 1 purchase PSN version!

couldnt care less about random people reviewing a game i want to play.. i just wish i had the money to buy the Limited Edition i mean $140 after shipping? da fuq!?

#19 Posted by Kaze_no_Mirai (11489 posts) -

I'll still get it. But I need to get XIII-2 first. The demo for LR was pretty fun though.

#20 Posted by edwardecl (2239 posts) -

Have they gone back to the original FF style turn based combat like we saw in FF7 - 10 (the only ones I've played), or is it still that almost automatic battle system?

#21 Edited by joel_c17 (2867 posts) -

@ninjapirate2000 said:

Idk what square was thinking with this trilogy. Complete garbage.

#22 Posted by lamprey263 (24415 posts) -

weren't great games but I enjoyed them, and hell might even give this a shot

#23 Posted by finalfantasy94 (26659 posts) -

@edwardecl said:

Have they gone back to the original FF style turn based combat like we saw in FF7 - 10 (the only ones I've played), or is it still that almost automatic battle system?

Theres a demo for lighting returns if you wanna check out the gameplay.It more action like though you still have a bar and such.

#24 Posted by Gue1 (10409 posts) -

crash and burn!

#25 Posted by Gue1 (10409 posts) -

@da_illest101 said:

I can't wait for it to come out, after that the crap that was the FF XIII series can finally be flushed down the toilet and we can move on to better things

I would say that it can't get worse than this but it can always get worse....

#26 Posted by Netret0120 (2255 posts) -

Will get it. I enjoyed the FF13 games even though they are my least favourite ff games. The combat and graphics have always been good. Might be tough with the story because story is very important to me

#27 Posted by StrongBlackVine (8418 posts) -

A 7 is hardly the end of the world. This game didn't have have much hype any way. I liked the combat so I will pick it up on cheap the later this year.

#28 Edited by Chutebox (37642 posts) -

That last sentence in the OP is exactly why I didn't care for any of the 13 games. Crap story, crap characters and even worse dialogue

#29 Posted by m_machine024 (15026 posts) -

So.... it got a 7 only because of story and characters? Talk about priorities.

#30 Posted by Zidski (11 posts) -

I platinumed the first FFXIII despite its lame story thanks to its solid end-game combat, FFXIII-2 I didn't platinum but the story was actually really interesting and brought some great characters along with more varied gameplay. LR had me with gameplay from the demo, so a long as the combat is great I'll enjoy it, sucks about the story but doubt that anyone was looking forward to the story alone.

#31 Posted by ShepardCommandr (2890 posts) -

I expected less to tell you the truth.Anyways i'll pick despite me hating 13.

I did enjoy 13-2 though

#32 Edited by Ghost120x (3973 posts) -

Played the demo for 20 minutes. Then I cut it off and had a moment of silence for squaresoft.

#33 Posted by Zidski (11 posts) -

This will probably end up like FFXII where story was the sore-spot but combat and exploration go above and beyond.

#34 Posted by Joedgabe (5129 posts) -

@zidski said:

This will probably end up like FFXII where story was the sore-spot but combat and exploration go above and beyond.

I've heard a Lot of good things about 12.... not really anything about 13.

#35 Posted by Zidski (11 posts) -

@Joedgabe said:

@zidski said:

I've heard a Lot of good things about 12.... not really anything about 13.

Well, I just mentioned some good things about 13 in my first comment so now you have :P

#36 Posted by finalstar2007 (25334 posts) -

@zidski said:

I platinumed the first FFXIII despite its lame story thanks to its solid end-game combat, FFXIII-2 I didn't platinum but the story was actually really interesting and brought some great characters along with more varied gameplay. LR had me with gameplay from the demo, so a long as the combat is great I'll enjoy it, sucks about the story but doubt that anyone was looking forward to the story alone.

Yeah the combat in the demo was seriously good and what i've noticed also is that it seems like Lighting Returns has this MMO element to it where i saw a bunch of avatars with random comments on them walking around so if the game will have that it will be really cool.

#37 Posted by Pffrbt (6588 posts) -

@charizard1605 said:

forgets that a big part of what make the Final Fantasy games so memorable is how they created characters we could care about.

This has never been the case for FF13 games though.

#38 Posted by dobzilian (2490 posts) -

I will never make up my mind how arwful the sequels of Ff13 are. The first was enough to put me off playing a FF game again.

#39 Edited by j_assassin (915 posts) -

as long as the battle and leveling system is good then I might pick it up, and I hope its not too easy, this should keep me busy till dark souls 2

#40 Edited by good_sk8er7 (4322 posts) -

Can't wait to play it tomorrow! I thought the demo was great. I got the Cloud and Yuna outfits/weapons. :)

#41 Edited by blamix99 (2233 posts) -

im halfway through the game, it's not that bad im enjoying it..

my rate for the trilogy

FFXIII - 8.5

FFXIII-2 - 7.5

FFXIII LR - 8.0

#42 Edited by 2mrw (5118 posts) -

This is exactly my take on the whole triology ..... The plot isn't interesting.

#43 Edited by Krelian-co (11636 posts) -

They need to hire new writers, the story and dialogue in the trilogy is so incredibly bad is mind numbing. Also half the characters are just painfully annoying.

#44 Edited by jhonMalcovich (4937 posts) -

Well...accept it people, JRPG is almost dead on consoles.

Tales in Xillia is the only good JRPG released in recent years.

#45 Posted by Crossel777 (5622 posts) -

Why the fuck is that idiot Toriyama still writing terrible storylines?

#46 Edited by MBirdy88 (8434 posts) -

@da_illest101 said:

onto emo pop band meets akward version of Kingdom Hearts. oh boy.... such a future :P

#47 Posted by yokofox33 (30020 posts) -

lulz

Game looked awful the moment it was announced. I'll still get it when it hits 20 bucks in a few months.

#48 Edited by Krelian-co (11636 posts) -

i just spoiled myself the ending, i need a bath after watching that crap, from someone who liked most final fantasies i can tell you i can't stand this garbage writing, is THAT BAD.

#49 Posted by freedomfreak (41384 posts) -

Will get it when it's cheaper.

#50 Posted by mooooo99 (1249 posts) -

have the collectors edition on pre order. really liked the xiii series. can not wait until friday! soooo excited.