Let's talk PSP2

This topic is locked from further discussion.

caseypayne69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 0

#1 caseypayne69
Member since 2002 • 5395 Posts
We all know Sony has showed it off behind closed doors. It will probably be introduced E3 2011. Rumores I've read. Both sliding and solid frame models being thought out. Aka psp 3000 and psp go type cases. May have net book and iBook reader capability. 3G friendly Maybe have cell phone capability to run against IPhone directly. Things it will have. Touch screen, dual analogue, inch bigger screen, HD resolution. Also rumores to be a 4 core cell processor. Looks like this will cost us $400 easy. But be amazing. I have not read this, but expect 3D with glasses. Also heard it's in developer hands and is having battery and overheating issues.
RavenLoud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 RavenLoud
Member since 2009 • 2874 Posts

If you are right, PSP2 will be a miserable failure.

It really should have been a slight upgrade to the PSP1, with full BC and the size of PSP-GO.

Ragnarok1051

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Ragnarok1051
Member since 2007 • 20238 Posts

All we know is rumors. Nothing more nothing less.

Cherokee_Jack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 2

#4 Cherokee_Jack
Member since 2008 • 32198 Posts
That whole touchpad thing? Really weird. Not sure that's going to work out. Otherwise, I guess they're doing the portable PS3 thing and doing it properly this time. It's a valid approach, certainly better than trying to ape the DS which they might have been tempted to do.
caseypayne69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 caseypayne69
Well IF they give it phone features. And partner with AT&T to sell it. People will be able to purchase it for $200 with 2 year contracts. Win win.
Avatar image for Nintendo_Ownes7
Nintendo_Ownes7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#6 Nintendo_Ownes7
Member since 2005 • 30973 Posts

It doesn't have a Touch screen it has a Touch Pad which is similar to what is on Laptops.

caseypayne69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 caseypayne69

It doesn't have a Touch screen it has a Touch Pad which is similar to what is on Laptops.

Nintendo_Ownes7
Thank you, my mistake on that.
Zurrur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Zurrur
Member since 2009 • 1701 Posts

definitely gonna buy it if it plays PS2 games and doesn't have stupid touch screen

Cherokee_Jack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Cherokee_Jack
Well IF they give it phone features. And partner with AT&T to sell it. People will be able to purchase it with $200 with 2 year contracts. Win win.caseypayne69
If they try to make some half-assed smartphone/handheld hybrid it is guaranteed to fail. They would need all the features of an iPhone/Android as well as gaming capabilities beyond that of the PSP, while still maintaining a low enough price point to please both people looking for a smartphone and people looking for a PSP. It's impossible.
amigo767

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#10 amigo767
Member since 2005 • 122 Posts

Is the PSP2 supposed to have a touch screen or a touch pad (like the touch pads on laptops)? I heard that there was a touchpad on the back of the PSP2, rather than an actual touch screen. If it is in fact a touch pad, then I can see a ton of possibilities. For example, while the 2 thumbs are using the controls on the front, the 2 middle fingers can be using the touch pad on the back (and the index fingers could use the shoulder buttons).

Either way, I'm willing to bet that it will be better than the 3DS. Does the 3DS even have 3D?? I saw a video of it an it just looked like a better looking DS

Cherokee_Jack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Cherokee_Jack
Does the 3DS even have 3D??amigo767
What do you mean? It has polygonal games and autostereoscopic 3D. So yes.
coolkid93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

#12 coolkid93
Member since 2007 • 6749 Posts
I want a console, not a cellphone and a somewhat copy of an Iphone.
Nintendo_Ownes7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Nintendo_Ownes7

Either way, I'm willing to bet that it will be better than the 3DS. Does the 3DS even have 3D?? I saw a video of it an it just looked like a better looking DS

amigo767

You can't see 3D on a 2D screen the 3DS is 3D but it is impossible to see it on videos because the camera that filmed the gameplay was not built to record in 3D and if they did use one to record in 3D you would have to use 3D glasses when you watched the video on your PC.

Ragnarok1051

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Ragnarok1051

Is the PSP2 supposed to have a touch screen or a touch pad (like the touch pads on laptops)? I heard that there was a touchpad on the back of the PSP2, rather than an actual touch screen. If it is in fact a touch pad, then I can see a ton of possibilities. For example, while the 2 thumbs are using the controls on the front, the 2 middle fingers can be using the touch pad on the back (and the index fingers could use the shoulder buttons).

amigo767
What do you think 3DS stands for? 3 DSs put together? You're willing to bet that a devise that is made of nothing but rumors will be better than a device that we've seen?
Avatar image for carlisledavid79
carlisledavid79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 carlisledavid79
Member since 2006 • 10522 Posts
I'll probably end up buying it at launch, same with the 3DS
Ragnarok1051

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Ragnarok1051
I'll probably end up buying it at launch, same with the 3DScarlisledavid79
I'm pretty sure I'm buying the 3DS at launch. I'll have to wait and see if I'll do the same with the PSP2.
Nintendo_Ownes7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Nintendo_Ownes7

[QUOTE="carlisledavid79"]I'll probably end up buying it at launch, same with the 3DSRagnarok1051
I'm pretty sure I'm buying the 3DS at launch. I'll have to wait and see if I'll do the same with the PSP2.

I will buy a 3DS close to launch but I have to see if the PSP2 is reasonably priced and have games I'm interested in.

SakusEnvoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 SakusEnvoy
Member since 2009 • 4764 Posts

[QUOTE="caseypayne69"]Well IF they give it phone features. And partner with AT&T to sell it. People will be able to purchase it with $200 with 2 year contracts. Win win.Cherokee_Jack
If they try to make some half-assed smartphone/handheld hybrid it is guaranteed to fail. They would need all the features of an iPhone/Android as well as gaming capabilities beyond that of the PSP, while still maintaining a low enough price point to please both people looking for a smartphone and people looking for a PSP. It's impossible.

Sony already owns a full-featured Android smartphone... they already have a close partnership with Google... they've already designed a slim PSP with great slide-out controls. I don't think it would be that hard.

lbjkurono23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#19 lbjkurono23
Member since 2007 • 12544 Posts
First day purchase. Looks like they're going after a different market.
Ragnarok1051

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Ragnarok1051

[QUOTE="Ragnarok1051"][QUOTE="carlisledavid79"]I'll probably end up buying it at launch, same with the 3DSNintendo_Ownes7

I will buy a 3DS close to launch but I have to see if the PSP2 is reasonably priced and have games I'm interested in.

Yeah the price is an important factor. If the 3DS launches at a $300 price then I'll probably wait a while for it.
Blake135

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Blake135
Member since 2008 • 3994 Posts

Touch pad doesnt interest me, really only wanted a bigger and better screen dual stick and better hardware with better battery life. Im sure it could bring up many interesting ideas however i personaly dont think a touch pad is needed its just gonna drive up the cost which the price is essential if they want to beat Nintendo.

caseypayne69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 caseypayne69

[QUOTE="Cherokee_Jack"][QUOTE="caseypayne69"]Well IF they give it phone features. And partner with AT&T to sell it. People will be able to purchase it with $200 with 2 year contracts. Win win.SakusEnvoy

Sony already owns a full-featured Android smartphone... they already have a close partnership with Google... they've already designed a slim PSP with great slide-out controls. I don't think it would be that hard.

Thank you on that info. So android ap store and psn store on one phone? That would be epic.
amigo767

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 amigo767

[QUOTE="amigo767"]You can't see 3D on a 2D screen the 3DS is 3D but it is impossible to see it on videos because the camera that filmed the gameplay was not built to record in 3D and if they did use one to record in 3D you would have to use 3D glasses when you watched the video on your PC.

Nintendo_Ownes7
Huh, I thought 3D images were the result of separate images on the same screen of the same thing (like without 3D glasses a 3D movie would not look clear). So on the video I saw, shouldn't I have seen an unclear image on the 3DS screen? All I saw were regular looking graphics.
[QUOTE="amigo767"]

Ragnarok1051
What do you think 3DS stands for? 3 DSs put together? You're willing to bet that a devise that is made of nothing but rumors will be better than a device that we've seen?

Well, my bet is coming off of past nintendo and playstation games. The DS has relatively bad games compared to the PSP. The Wii has relatively bad games compared to the PS3. Gamecube had relatively bad games compared to the PS2. In terms of hardware, i'm sure that the PSP2 will be of a higher caliber than the 3DS. Sony tends to make high quality (in terms of build looks and components). Being cheap with a huge selection of mostly lackluster, simplistic, and often times childish games (wii, DS) makes it worse than something that costs a bit more but has bigger, deeper, and overall higher quality games (PSP, Xbox 360, and PS3).
Ragnarok1051

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Ragnarok1051

Well, my bet is coming off of past nintendo and playstation games. The DS has relatively bad games compared to the PSP. The Wii has relatively bad games compared to the PS3. Gamecube had relatively bad games compared to the PS2. In terms of hardware, i'm sure that the PSP2 will be of a higher caliber than the 3DS. Sony tends to make high quality (in terms of build looks and components). Being cheap with a huge selection of mostly lackluster, simplistic, and often times childish games (wii, DS) makes it worse than something that costs a bit more but has bigger, deeper, and overall higher quality games (PSP, Xbox 360, and PS3).amigo767

The PSP didn't blow the DS out of the water game wise. In fact you'll hear the contrary very often around here. You're just making assumptions now and none of them are grounded at all in any factual manner.

amigo767

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 amigo767

[QUOTE="amigo767"] Well, my bet is coming off of past nintendo and playstation games. The DS has relatively bad games compared to the PSP. The Wii has relatively bad games compared to the PS3. Gamecube had relatively bad games compared to the PS2. In terms of hardware, i'm sure that the PSP2 will be of a higher caliber than the 3DS. Sony tends to make high quality (in terms of build looks and components). Being cheap with a huge selection of mostly lackluster, simplistic, and often times childish games (wii, DS) makes it worse than something that costs a bit more but has bigger, deeper, and overall higher quality games (PSP, Xbox 360, and PS3).Ragnarok1051

The PSP didn't blow the DS out of the water game wise. In fact you'll hear the contrary very often around here. You're just making assumptions now and none of them are grounded at all in any factual manner.

Lol actually i'm not making assumptions. I am simply stating my opinion. There is no concrete way to determine if one game is better than another, regardless of what a majority may believe. Your assertion that "the psp did not blow the DS out of the water game wise" is not grounded in any factual matter (and do not say sales, since sales do not correlate to game quality). Basically, I personally think nintendos games generally suck. You are the one making assumptions if you think I was describing anything as fact. I merely stated that I am willing to bet that the PSP2 will be better than the 3DS. I never proclaimed anything to be an objective fact.
Ragnarok1051

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Ragnarok1051
[QUOTE="Ragnarok1051"]

[QUOTE="amigo767"] Well, my bet is coming off of past nintendo and playstation games. The DS has relatively bad games compared to the PSP. The Wii has relatively bad games compared to the PS3. Gamecube had relatively bad games compared to the PS2. In terms of hardware, i'm sure that the PSP2 will be of a higher caliber than the 3DS. Sony tends to make high quality (in terms of build looks and components). Being cheap with a huge selection of mostly lackluster, simplistic, and often times childish games (wii, DS) makes it worse than something that costs a bit more but has bigger, deeper, and overall higher quality games (PSP, Xbox 360, and PS3).amigo767

Lol actually i'm not making assumptions. I am simply stating my opinion. There is no concrete way to determine if one game is better than another, regardless of what a majority may believe. Your assertion that "the psp did not blow the DS out of the water game wise" is not grounded in any factual matter (and do not say sales, since sales do not correlate to game quality). Basically, I personally think nintendos games generally suck. You are the one making assumptions if you think I was describing anything as fact. I merely stated that I am willing to bet that the PSP2 will be better than the 3DS. I never proclaimed anything to be an objective fact.

You're assuming games on the 3DS will be lackluster, simple, childish games based off of the DS. Have you seen the lineup so far? Its launch lineup is perhaps the strongest we've seen for a launching platform. You said the DS had relatively bad games compared to the PSP. How is that not you passing off your opinion as fact?
Cherokee_Jack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Cherokee_Jack

[QUOTE="Cherokee_Jack"][QUOTE="caseypayne69"]Well IF they give it phone features. And partner with AT&T to sell it. People will be able to purchase it with $200 with 2 year contracts. Win win.SakusEnvoy

Like I said...they're trying to make a gaming device, not a pure smartphone. I have no doubt that they could make a great smartphone/gaming device, but how many people would realistically want that device? How many people in the smartphone market also want a portable gaming device like the PSP? How many people in the handheld market want a smartphone, and aren't satisfied with the option of getting both a 3DS and one of the smartphones already out there? Are those segments combined valuable enough for Sony to base their whole plan for the PSP2 around them, while likely alienating much of the handheld market in the process?

p3anut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 p3anut
Member since 2005 • 6611 Posts

It will be more powerful than the 3DS that's for sure. Im curious to see how the touch controls on the back will work, if it's true. I doubt it will have 3D since Kaz Hirai said 3d on the portable is not what they are looking for. Plus it will be stupid if it does and you need glasses. Im also positive the HH will be expensive just like the 3DS or even more.

p3anut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 p3anut
Member since 2005 • 6611 Posts

[QUOTE="Nintendo_Ownes7"]

[QUOTE="amigo767"] Huh, I thought 3D images were the result of separate images on the same screen of the same thing (like without 3D glasses a 3D movie would not look clear). So on the video I saw, shouldn't I have seen an unclear image on the 3DS screen? All I saw were regular looking graphics. [QUOTE="Ragnarok1051"][QUOTE="amigo767"]

amigo767

Well, my bet is coming off of past nintendo and playstation games. The DS has relatively bad games compared to the PSP. The Wii has relatively bad games compared to the PS3. Gamecube had relatively bad games compared to the PS2. In terms of hardware, i'm sure that the PSP2 will be of a higher caliber than the 3DS. Sony tends to make high quality (in terms of build looks and components). Being cheap with a huge selection of mostly lackluster, simplistic, and often times childish games (wii, DS) makes it worse than something that costs a bit more but has bigger, deeper, and overall higher quality games (PSP, Xbox 360, and PS3).

Just for you amigo, you can see the blury in these off screen videos.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O8BWvgtqDUw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0W68CPInmYc

Nintendo_Ownes7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Nintendo_Ownes7

[QUOTE="amigo767"] Huh, I thought 3D images were the result of separate images on the same screen of the same thing (like without 3D glasses a 3D movie would not look clear). So on the video I saw, shouldn't I have seen an unclear image on the 3DS screen? All I saw were regular looking graphics.p3anut

The image of Ocarina of Time was definitely blurry and in some instances you saw two Links walking around on the screen.

caseypayne69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 caseypayne69

[QUOTE="SakusEnvoy"]

[QUOTE="Cherokee_Jack"] If they try to make some half-assed smartphone/handheld hybrid it is guaranteed to fail. They would need all the features of an iPhone/Android as well as gaming capabilities beyond that of the PSP, while still maintaining a low enough price point to please both people looking for a smartphone and people looking for a PSP. It's impossible.Cherokee_Jack

Like I said...they're trying to make a gaming device, not a pure smartphone. I have no doubt that they could make a great smartphone/gaming device, but how many people would realistically want that device? How many people in the smartphone market also want a portable gaming device like the PSP? How many people in the handheld market want a smartphone, and aren't satisfied with the option of getting both a 3DS and one of the smartphones already out there? Are those segments combined valuable enough for Sony to base their whole plan for the PSP2 around them, while likely alienating much of the handheld market in the process?

Sony probably looks at the iPhone market to gauge such a thought.
Avatar image for GunSmith1_basic
GunSmith1_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#32 GunSmith1_basic
Member since 2002 • 10548 Posts
[QUOTE="Nintendo_Ownes7"]

[QUOTE="p3anut"]

Huh, I thought 3D images were the result of separate images on the same screen of the same thing (like without 3D glasses a 3D movie would not look clear). So on the video I saw, shouldn't I have seen an unclear image on the 3DS screen? All I saw were regular looking graphics.amigo767

The image of Ocarina of Time was definitely blurry and in some instances you saw two Links walking around on the screen.

if you ever see a clear image of a 3DS game it could be because they disabled the 3D for that purpose. Remember that the 3DS has a slider where you can set the amount of 3D you get.
caseypayne69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 caseypayne69
I'm an iPhone guy. I don't have any FPS's or action games due to lack of analogs. However I'd turn my iPhone into a touch (upgrade to new phone) in a heart beat if it had a quick clip on analog controller attachment on a PSP2 phone. Were it was small enough to go in yout pocket. And if you wanted to game you would attach a controller that attached directly to the phone. I forgot to mention it will have two camera's. Front and back.
caseypayne69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 caseypayne69
Turing the PSP2 into a phone would be a smart play. Take the iPhone. It's $500 or $600 bucks at full price. But with a 2 year phone plan and contract with say so many gigs of 3G for the same phone for $200 or $300. Sony could market a $500 PSP2 with a two usar phone plan and sell It for $199. Boom were all happy. And id be First in linee.
Avatar image for BreakTheseLinks
BreakTheseLinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 BreakTheseLinks
Member since 2005 • 2601 Posts

4 core cell processor? 5 inch-HD screen? Hello 3 hour battery life. 1 hour if they go with UMD's again. Unless battery technology suddenly goes out of this world.

BreakTheseLinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 BreakTheseLinks
[QUOTE="amigo767"]

Yuck. That sounds like an awefully mangled control set-up IMO. And yes of course the 3DS has 3D...aside from better graphics, that's the main selling point.
Mr_BillGates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#37 Mr_BillGates
Member since 2005 • 3211 Posts

4 core cell processor? 5 inch-HD screen? Hello 3 hour battery life. 1 hour if they go with UMD's again. Unless battery technology suddenly goes out of this world.

BreakTheseLinks
It's probably a die-shrinked Cell CPU running @ very low clock speed to keep the TDP down.
BreakTheseLinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 BreakTheseLinks
[QUOTE="Mr_BillGates"][QUOTE="BreakTheseLinks"]

It's probably a die-shrinked Cell CPU running @ very low clock speed to keep the TDP down.

Even so that would require a rather beefy battery to sustain the device for an acceptable (in gaming terms) amount of time. And IIRC the rumors also said something about Sony having overheating issues at this stage in development.
Avatar image for deactivated-5b78379493e12
deactivated-5b78379493e12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#39 deactivated-5b78379493e12
Member since 2005 • 15625 Posts

I don't think it's worth talking about in detail until we know that it really exists.

Cherokee_Jack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Cherokee_Jack
[QUOTE="Cherokee_Jack"]

[QUOTE="SakusEnvoy"] Sony already owns a full-featured Android smartphone... they already have a close partnership with Google... they've already designed a slim PSP with great slide-out controls. I don't think it would be that hard.

caseypayne69

Thing is, most of the iPhone market isn't interested enough in a gaming-capable smartphone to chose something like what we're talking about over, you know, an iPhone.
SakusEnvoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 SakusEnvoy
Member since 2009 • 4764 Posts

[QUOTE="caseypayne69"][QUOTE="Cherokee_Jack"]

Cherokee_Jack

Thing is, most of the iPhone market isn't interested enough in a gaming-capable smartphone to chose something like what we're talking about over, you know, an iPhone.

It's a good question. But I think you can flip the question around just the same. How many people who already own a smartphone, or plan to own a smartphone, really want to buy two dedicated gaming portable devices? If Sony creates a pure gaming handheld, they will have to go head to head against the 3DS. They will fight and compete with them over a limited audience and it could very likely be a losing battle. Nintendo has all the momentum going for them right now.

In my opinion, I think it would be smart of them to release two devices: a standalone gaming system and a smartphone/gaming hybrid. Not unlike Apple does for the iPhone and iPod Touch. They would both be capable of running the same games and applications (ie. same basic underlying hardware), but they would have important differences as well. The standalone PSP2 would have no 3G or calling capabilities, lower quality camera, etc., in order to reduce the price down to a level that can compete directly with the 3DS.

caseypayne69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 caseypayne69

I don't think it's worth talking about in detail until we know that it really exists.

jimkabrhel
We know I exists. We just haven't seen it. Sony has even said they have showed two versions of it behind closed doors.
lbjkurono23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#43 lbjkurono23
Member since 2007 • 12544 Posts
[QUOTE="jimkabrhel"]

caseypayne69
We know I exists. We just haven't seen it. Sony has even said they have showed two versions of it behind closed doors.

No news on whats the difference?
caseypayne69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 caseypayne69
[QUOTE="caseypayne69"][QUOTE="jimkabrhel"]

lbjkurono23

No news on whats the difference?

Things eventually leak out, that we are seeing. And at least we know it's coming fairly soon.
sonic_spark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#45 sonic_spark
Member since 2003 • 6195 Posts

The problem with PSP2 is that it's stuck in the middle of the pure gaming giant of handhelds in Nintendo and the mobile leader in Apple with the iphone.

Although Iphone and Nintendo are in direct competition they're distinctly different enough that they don't necessarily cancel each other out.

Now with the PSP2, where does it go? Does it try to adopt characteristics of both devices?

PSP2 is stuck between a rock and a hardplace.

Cherokee_Jack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Cherokee_Jack

[QUOTE="Cherokee_Jack"][QUOTE="caseypayne69"] Sony probably looks at the iPhone market to gauge such a thought. SakusEnvoy

It's a good question. But I think you can flip the question around just the same. How many people who already own a smartphone, or plan to own a smartphone, really want to buy two dedicated gaming portable devices? If Sony creates a pure gaming handheld, they will have to go head to head against the 3DS. They will fight and compete with them over a limited audience and it could very likely be a losing battle. Nintendo has all the momentum going for them right now.

In my opinion, I think it would smart of them to releases two devices: a standalone gaming system and a smartphone/gaming hybrid. Not unlike Apple does for the iPhone and iPod Touch. They would both be capable of running the same games and applications (ie. same basic underlying hardware), but they would have important differences as well. The standalone PSP2 would have no 3G or calling capabilities, lower quality camera, etc., in order to reduce the price down to a level that can compete directly with the 3DS.

Fair point, but I think that it's a much less risky proposition for Sony to put out a pure handheld against the 3DS. The PSP, while obviously not what Sony hoped it would be, still made a pretty impressive stand against Nintendo. It would be unwise to ignore where the PSP's strengths originally lay, even if it means Sony having to make themselves at home in second place again. Stick with what works, in other words.

Whereas going the smartphone route would create a whole new set of problems for them, and whether or not it would win over a new audience from its smartphone features is anyone's guess. In my opinion it's not worth taking a gamble on, even if they were to put out two devices like you said. Better to put all their resources into supporting the PSP2 as a handheld.

One other thing to remember about the smartphone idea is that smartphone hardware gets updated (like, really updated, not slightly revised) a lot more often than handheld hardware. They'll either have to keep the same hardware for the PSP2's entire life cycle, which would make the thing obsolete in comparison to other smartphones very quickly, or try to keep pace with the competitors and release a more powerful PSP2 every year or so (you can see the problem with that)

caseypayne69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 caseypayne69
I don't think putting out a new model every year would be an issue. There is a new iPhone every year. Yet any game is compatible with all models. Games will be built around the first weakest model.
BIOKILLER123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 BIOKILLER123
Member since 2010 • 1084 Posts

[QUOTE="Ragnarok1051"]

[QUOTE="amigo767"] Well, my bet is coming off of past nintendo and playstation games. The DS has relatively bad games compared to the PSP. The Wii has relatively bad games compared to the PS3. Gamecube had relatively bad games compared to the PS2. In terms of hardware, i'm sure that the PSP2 will be of a higher caliber than the 3DS. Sony tends to make high quality (in terms of build looks and components). Being cheap with a huge selection of mostly lackluster, simplistic, and often times childish games (wii, DS) makes it worse than something that costs a bit more but has bigger, deeper, and overall higher quality games (PSP, Xbox 360, and PS3).amigo767

Dude,

just ignore him you didn't state anything as fact.