Let's hear it for gaming's two current unsung heroes

• 57 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
Member since 2006 • 82724 Posts

Both of these systems are usually shat on by the rest of the industry, or just outright ignored. Both are the victims of some poor naming, shitty branding, terrible advertising, and general apathy. The world at large will tell you that these systems 'have no games' but as anyone who actually owns the damn things will attest to, they do have games, a lot of them, and they're wonderful games too. Neither will ever win in its market- the Wii U will never manage to beat out the PS4 (and it will not be a better console than the PS4 in the long run either), while the Vita will never beat out the 3DS (and similarly, it won't be a better handheld than 3DS).

But you don't have to be the best to be awesome. And the Wii U and Vita are both awesome. Both have some neat ideas, some great functionality, tons of social features, and some excellent games. In terms of market, both sell pretty badly (although both sell very well in Japan), both have some great indie game support, and both have extremely high attach rates.

I have both- a PlayStation Vita that I bought on October 12, 2013. It was a 3G/Wifi PlayStation Vita OLED model, and since I got it, it's seen a ton of se (mostly for Persona 4, but recently, it's seen a renaissance led by indie games). Here it is:

My favorite games on this thing are Ys: Memories of Celceta, Stealth Inc., and Persona 4 Golden (currently my favorite game of all time).

Here's my Wii U. I've had it since December 7, 2013. it's a special Wind Waker Zelda Limited edition 32GB premium model, and while it pretty much lay wasting away for a while, once I actually got games for the thing- 3D World and Mario Kart among them- I fell in love with it. Here it is:

My favorite games on it are The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker, New Super Mario Bros. U, and Mario Kart 8 (my current Game of the Year).

They're some pretty damn good systems.

Do you have one or both of them? Share your experiences here! Feel free to share pictures, and if you don't have any, will you be buying them? The market will tell you both these systems suck. The market will be wrong. As said above, they may not be the best in their class, but they're like nothing else in the market, really.

MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 MonsieurX
Member since 2008 • 39858 Posts

Bought a 32gb WWHD edition Wii U back in last September with a gift card + 20% off,came to like 240$.

Had a great time with WWHD but couldn't complete it(stupid sail time).

Had a blast with NSMBU and NSLU.

Super Mario 3D World is the best Mario since Super Mario World,imo.

Got Zombie U as a gift but couldn't get into it.

Bought Wonderful 101 recently but didn't have time yet.

Waiting on Bayonnetta 2 and SSB for the rest of the year,got X,Yoshi's Yarn and Captain Toad(amazing levels in SM3D) pre-ordered as well.

If you don't care about 3rd party(I don't),the Wii U is an amazing console to get right now and will be even better

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#3 jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64037 Posts

They are unsung for justified reasons. One is a gaming console with out you know much in the way of video games. The other is a handheld with largely no upside or justifiable reason to purchase it. At the least that system can hang it's hat on the fact that even though it doesn't have exclusives, it gets a health library of games thanks to Sony's work with the indie scene.

Prawephet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#4 Prawephet
Member since 2014 • 385 Posts

@charizard1605: How could you possibly call Mario Kart 8 a game of the year? It lacks features and games modes found in the Super Nintendo version of the game. The game is a giant step backwards for the series. The girlfriend and I still play it quite a bit but I can't call a game goty if it's worse than it's own predecessors.

zassimick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 142

User Lists: 2

#5 zassimick  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 10470 Posts

I definitely love both the console and the handheld.

So much fun party nights with the Wii U through Nintendo Land, only made greater by Mario Kart 8 and soon we'll have fun with Smash Bros. Wind Waker HD was fantastic going back to. Absolutely stunning to look at and fun to play. New Super Mario Bros U was the best in the NSMB series. Super Mario 3D World = just so much fun. There's a lot more there, but I lastly wanted to add that the Gamepad is fantastic to have and I've used it quite a bit for off-screen play.

The Vita? Persona 4 Golden has become one of my top 10 favorite games and was definitely worth the purchase of the system. Golden Abyss was a ton of fun, even if it was the worst Uncharted. I've also used it for a lot of great PSone titles, and because I already had PS+ I was able to get a ton of free games for the system. Aside from a couple of PS Classics (which I purchased on sale) I have only purchased one game for the system: P4G! A great investment, and remote play worked really well. That said, I won't be purchasing a successor to the Vita if Sony produces one; how they've handled this handheld leaves me disappointed because of what could have been.

Avatar image for deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
Member since 2012 • 12449 Posts

@prawephet said:

@charizard1605: How could you possibly call Mario Kart 8 a game of the year? It lacks features and games modes found in the Super Nintendo version of the game. The game is a giant step backwards for the series. The girlfriend and I still play it quite a bit but I can't call a game goty if it's worse than it's own predecessors.

er... what is it missing exactly? battle mode? OH NO.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@prawephet said:

I don't think it's worse than any predecessor in the series, nor do I think it's actually lacking in any modes that were in any other game outside of Mario Kart DS. it has Grand Prix, Time Trial, Versus, Battle Mode, plus then it has a full suite of local and online multiplayer modes too. I also want to point out that mechanically, it's perfect. There has never actually been a better kart racer than Mario Kart 8.

@Zassimick said:

I have only purchased one game for the system: P4G!

Amusingly enough, that is also the only game I have purchased for my Vita. I have over 30 Vita games (I think counting Classics and PSP games, the number might be over 50), but Persona 4 Golden is the only one I have ever actually spent money on.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8 lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

@charizard1605 said:

@Zassimick said:

I have only purchased one game for the system: P4G!

Amusingly enough, that is also the only game I have purchased for my Vita. I have over 30 Vita games (I think counting Classics and PSP games, the number might be over 50), but Persona 4 Golden is the only one I have ever actually spent money on.

Same here

Though I wish sony would make all PS1 classics available on vita in NA

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 TheEroica  Moderator
Member since 2009 • 22660 Posts

The Vita is awesome... made more awesome from things like cross buy and remote play. Playing PG4 now... Yup my only purchase on the system thus far as well, other than cross buy rogue legacy.

I have only spent a little time with WiiU, but I root for its rebound.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

So is there anyone who's bought something other than Persona 4 Golden for their Vita?

Avatar image for Midnightshade29
Midnightshade29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 301

#11 Midnightshade29
Member since 2008 • 6003 Posts

@charizard1605 said:

So is there anyone who's bought something other than Persona 4 Golden for their Vita?

Do you want me to list my 80+ games i own for the system (not counting ps1 and psp games)? It's my system of choice...followed by PC, PS4, PS3, and 3DS...

I own it all even an ipad, but you will see one brand I lack and that is intentional. I would also love to own a wii-u someday if only for monster hunter, Hyrule warriors, and the X series of rpgs. Of course monster hunter is on my 3ds.. i do wish that series was on the vita too. The system was made for monster hunter...then nintendo bought off the rights and made it for the system that is missing an analog stick. I had to go and buy some monstrous accessory just to play it.

Right now (and the last few months) I am playing:

Rogue Legacy,
Counter Spy
Ratchet and Clank Collection
Sly Cooper Collection
Soul Sacrifice Delta
Muramasa Rebirth
New Little Kings Story
Borderlands 2
Ragnorok Odyessy Ace
Dynasty Warriors 8 complete
Terraria
Velocity ultra
oli oli
Bit Trip Runner 2
Fez
Starlight Inception

And I just picked up Disgaea 4, and will be getting Naturaul Doctrine next month, along with Minecraft, and any other indies that come out.

I was interested in Sword Art Online, and WO3 and samuri warriors 4, freedom wars and tales of hearts , but the lack of English Dubbing, really turns me off. I returned decetpion 4 because it was all in Japanese. I don't speak Japanese, I speak English (and a little German) but that is it. I don't like namco releasing all it's games without English Dubbing. They aren't broke..If a small pub like NISA and X-Seed can dub all their rpgs, why can't a large company like Namco?

Pikminmaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Pikminmaniac
Member since 2006 • 11513 Posts

I own a Wii U and love the system completely. The Miiverse is a great idea and it has some truly stellar games right now, but none better than Pikmin 3 or Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze. those two games are just incredible.

DarkLink77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#13 DarkLink77
Member since 2004 • 32731 Posts

But the Vita is a garbage platform with no games. :|

Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 SolidGame_basic
Member since 2003 • 45090 Posts

No wonder you guys think the Vita sucks. You bought only one game lol. That really explain a lot. I've had my Vita since launch and have played a ton of games. Can't say the same for my 3DS. 3DS is good if you like Nintendo games. Vita has a ton more variety and functionality. Also, Vita is by far a better pick up and play device than the 3DS will ever be.

I do have a Wii U which I bought last year and it's alright. Should've waited for next gen Zelda bundle. Am looking forward to Smash though.

Mr_Huggles_dog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Mr_Huggles_dog
Member since 2014 • 7805 Posts

After buying my litte one a WiiU...but then returning it, I want one.

I thought it was pretty neat. But it needs some games. There isn't much I want regarding games right now. The new Zelda looks cool, but I haven't liked 1 3D Zelda game yet.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@SolidGame_basic said:

No wonder you guys think the Vita sucks. You bought only one game lol. That really explain a lot. I've had my Vita since launch and have played a ton of games. Can't say the same for my 3DS. 3DS is good if you like Nintendo games. Vita has a ton more variety and functionality. Also, Vita is by far a better pick up and play device than the 3DS will ever be.

I do have a Wii U which I bought last year and it's alright. Should've waited for next gen Zelda bundle. Am looking forward to Smash though.

I have over 30 games on it. Most games I get for free. I only had to buy one game, that's what I mean when I say I bought one.

mikhail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 mikhail
Member since 2003 • 2697 Posts

What about all those hot upcoming Vita games that were announced at E3 and Gamescom!?

*crickets*

wolverine4262

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By wolverine4262
Member since 2004 • 20832 Posts

Nice blog

mikhail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 mikhail

@charizard1605 said:

I have over 30 games on it. Most games I get for free. I only had to buy one game, that's what I mean when I say I bought one.

How do you get free games for Vita?

MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 MonsieurX
Member since 2008 • 39858 Posts

@mikhail said:

@charizard1605 said:

PSN+ is my guess

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

@SolidGame_basic said:

The rest are from PS+

Avatar image for speedfreak48t5p
speedfreak48t5p

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 62

#24 speedfreak48t5p
Member since 2009 • 14416 Posts

LOL Systems with no games.

mikhail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 mikhail

@MonsieurX said:

@mikhail said:

@charizard1605 said:

PSN+ is my guess

But those aren't really free, and you don't get to keep them if you stop paying for PlayStation Plus, do you?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@MonsieurX said:

@mikhail said:

@charizard1605 said:

PSN+ is my guess

And review copies.

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

User Lists: 1

#27 cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 38032 Posts

@charizard1605 said:

Uncharted at launch, NGS, Resistance Burning Skies, The Show, KZ Mercenary.

funsohng

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 funsohng
Member since 2005 • 29976 Posts

Vita is cool, I like it. It just needs games.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8
deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#29 deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8
Member since 2007 • 22399 Posts

Oh, cool. you like these systems again.

Manic depressive charizard is currently manic.

yokofox33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#30  Edited By yokofox33
Member since 2004 • 30775 Posts

I have both, and I love both. Vita houses some of the quirky games I like and desire, and Nintendo just pumps out the 1st party titles I've grown to love over the years. A shame both systems aren't very popular, but oh well.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#31  Edited By lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44556 Posts

Persona 4 is the only thing I'd really really want a Vita for, and that desire doesn't go far since I'm plenty satisfied of having the PS2 version.

If I had a more expendable income I'd surely give the Vita a shot, but given that I don't I've had to make choices that don't include consideration of the Vita.

PapaTrop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 PapaTrop
Member since 2014 • 1792 Posts

Neither system is an "unsung hero" of gaming given that neither really provides a whole lot as far as gaming is concerned, and what they do offer isn't always of high quality.

Kenny789

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 29

#33 Kenny789
Member since 2006 • 10434 Posts

I've had a lot of fun on the Wii U although I'm a tad worried about it's future. The Vita on the other hand just wasn't worth it at all. Although to be fair I should get games like Final Fantasy X and X-2 HD and actually give it a chance. I mostly used it as a portable Technika machine.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@papatrop said:

Neither system is an "unsung hero" of gaming given that neither really provides a whole lot as far as gaming is concerned, and what they do offer isn't always of high quality.

I will say you are very wrong here.

voljin1987

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#35  Edited By voljin1987
Member since 2012 • 1135 Posts

The problem is not with the devices themselves. Both the Wii U and the Vita are awesome, no doubt about it. The problem is that the competition just blows it out of the water especially with the 3ds and the Vita.

Most people will not be able to afford both a 3ds and a Vita and would ultimately settle for the one with the most games.

PapaTrop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 PapaTrop
Member since 2014 • 1792 Posts

@charizard1605 said:

@papatrop said:

I will say you are very wrong here.

Providing maybe one good exclusive every 6-12 months is a lot to you?

commonfate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 commonfate
Member since 2010 • 13320 Posts

@charizard1605 said:

Superior version of Virtue's Last Reward brah

that and just a bunch of ports (UMVC3, MGS2/3 and FFX)

Avatar image for deactivated-5ac102a4472fe
deactivated-5ac102a4472fe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 deactivated-5ac102a4472fe
Member since 2007 • 7431 Posts

Yeh I have both, and I quite like them, and yes I will proudly stand by my liking them over the PS4 (in the time of writing).

Experiences with the Wii U, lemme see.

Bought the Wii U ZombiU Bundle due to the two controllers and a fairly low cost. Almost certain that I would be disapointed, but man was I in for s surprise.

ZombiU was far better then expected, I really liked that game, and almost made me feel bad for stealing another players supplies when they were Down. It showed a good way of using the gamepad.

Had a depression not long ago, where me and one of my friends spend pretty much every day for 4 days playing Mario Kart 8 (she is not really into alot of games) but that was so fun, and almost "Disney" in the way it felt.

Last but not least, I found more then a few good gems on the virtual platform, old games I nolonger have, and others I never got to buy.

Games I own:

Wind Waker HD

New Super Mario Bros. U

Mario Kart 8

Super Mario 3D World

Zombi U

Megaman 2

Megaman 3

A link to the past

The Legend of Zelda

(Preordered; Bayonetta 2, Xenoblade Chronicles X)

The Vita is a different beast. I will admit it, I did not like my 3DS as much as I would have liked, and I was hesitant to buy the Vita, thinking that I simply did not like Handheld games as much anymore. That may be true in some extent, but I found this wonderful platform filled with good Playstation memories from years past, and the best place to find quirky Japanese games or simply different games. It is also the handheld which has the best control input Ive ever seen (still a bit annoyied with the relatively short batterylife).

Games I own:

Dragons Crown

Sword Art Online: Hollow Fragment

Tearaway

Persona 3 Portable

Persona 4 Golden

Valkyria Chronicles 2

Mind Zero (that could have been a mistake)

Doki-Doki Universe

Terreria

Metal Gear Solid HD collection

Mortal Kombat

Rayman Origins

Rayman Legends

Silent Hill: Book of memories (that was a mistake)

Spelunky

Final Fantasy 9

(PSN Games)

Lego Batman 2

Fez

Muramasa Rebirth

Gravity Rush

Metrico

Proteus

Uncharted: Golden Abyss

Soul Sacrifice

Proteus

Pixeljunk Monsters

Hotline Miami

Modnation Racers: Road Trip

Dynasty Warriors Next

BlazBlue Continuum Shift

Guacamelee!

Sly Cooper: Thieves in Time

So yeah, my Vita has a fair share of Usage, Only downside? I do have most of the games on memory Cards, those buggers be expensive QQ

millerlight89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#39 millerlight89
Member since 2007 • 18658 Posts

WiiU is hardly a hero. It's an okay system, but nothing great.

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 freedomfreak
Member since 2004 • 52425 Posts
@jg4xchamp said:

They are unsung for justified reasons. One is a gaming console with out you know much in the way of video games. The other is a handheld with largely no upside or justifiable reason to purchase it. At the least that system can hang it's hat on the fact that even though it doesn't have exclusives, it gets a health library of games thanks to Sony's work with the indie scene.

This.

locopatho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 locopatho
Member since 2003 • 24259 Posts

@darkspineslayer said:

Manic depressive charizard is currently manic. best charizard!

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 122

#42 The_Last_Ride
Member since 2004 • 76371 Posts

i feel Vita is so underrated and an awesome system

hiphops_savior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#43 hiphops_savior
Member since 2007 • 8535 Posts

One system actually has support from their maker, the other...doesn't.

happyduds77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 happyduds77
Member since 2012 • 1688 Posts

The vita should have been less powerful for it's own good.

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 44049 Posts

Entering the thread I was certain it had something to do with me. :o

Anyway, not too sure I agree they're hero's but w/e :P

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#46 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

That WWHD controller is awesome.

The Mario Kart bundle is the better deal (coming with an extra Wiimote and newer game) but it's hard to decide.

Likely I'll be buying one in a couple weeks.

crazypal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By crazypal
Member since 2005 • 535 Posts

Well yes I'm proud owner of a Vita and I think it's one of the greatest platforms that doesn't deserve the fate it's been dealt. I thought it was a gamers dream come true with dual sticks on the go but I think we gaming community let it down and we won't have a successor. I played so many games on it , it gave me the chance to finish some ps1 gems like legend of dragoon and xenogears.

I bought persona4, mortal kombat, ragnarok odyssey, soul sacrifice not to mention so many other games through ps plus.

and I think uncharted was one of the best uncharteds, they gave that Lil journal a meaning.

As for Wii U? Fanboys be damned I'm getting one next month , there's just so many great games on it I can't pass it up especially since I didn't own a Nintendo system since NES days :)

hiphops_savior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#48 hiphops_savior
Member since 2007 • 8535 Posts

@happyduds77: The Vita should've had reasonable valued memory cards. The PS4 should not require 50 GB of installation storage (lack of embedded memory might have something to do with that).

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64037 Posts

@freedomfreak said:
@jg4xchamp said:

This.

We're apparently insane LTO for having a standard.

osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 osan0
Member since 2004 • 17812 Posts

@charizard1605: i have 16 vita games (though not persona 4). im currently switching between Ys celceta and child of light.

the vita has everything in place to be a cracking handheld. its slightly puzzleing why the market has outright rejected it. it has some great games (at this stage the current library certainly make it worth at least serious consideration). the hardware is fantastic. its not at a crazy price (the memory cards are mind but still...thats just a once off). it really must be just phones and tablets taking a lump out of it. or maybe many were left with a bad taste in their mouth after the PSP. its a shame sony have pretty much dropped it. in the end i think there focused on making the wrong games and getting the wrong games onto the vita and that stung.

the wiiu is nintendos worst console since the N64. its a very badly thought out, very badly designed and poorly optimised console. everything about it is slow and sluggish to use. the tablet, so far, has also proven to be pointless. it does have some great games but its far easier to see why that is struggeling compared to the Vita. i honestly have no idea what nintendo were thinking (and i loved the wii..so this is not a lack of horsepower rant).