Let's settle this. Did Sony screw up the PS4 launch? Give reasons.

• 90 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Edited 1 year, 5 months ago

Poll: Let's settle this. Did Sony screw up the PS4 launch? Give reasons. (135 votes)

Yes 45%
No 55%

While I believe they did not, this board is looking like what it was on page 4765. But I want to know the actual opnions.

DID Sony screw up the PS4 LAUNCH?

IF YOU VOTE YES:

List you reasons for how.

IF YOU VOTE NO:

List your reasons for why.

Because this board is exploding.

#51 Edited by k2theswiss (16599 posts) -

The system wobbles... hell of a design flaw

system breaking

the 2 titles sony attempted to push failed

#52 Posted by Nonstop-Madness (9491 posts) -

Yes and No. They've positioned themselves far better than MS but the launch lineup could have been better. What people fail to realize is that 3/4 of the selling a console to a consumer at launch is about selling them on a vision and at this point, more gamers are siding with Son's vision of a next gen gaming platform. The PS4's hype will probably last well into next year.

#53 Edited by Jakandsigz (6341 posts) -

Huh, so far over half believe it or not, have decided the PS4 was a flop at launch (never minding there had not technically been a lunch yet but huh.)

#54 Posted by lx_theo (6211 posts) -

Nah. Its what I expected. If all you care about are scores rather than the games themselves, then I suppose it might be. Otherwise, its quite an average launch.

#55 Posted by hiphops_savior (8038 posts) -

I didn't think that the ps4 is worth buying at launch. I was sold on New Super Mario Bros. U and Rayman Legends for the Wii U at launch.

#56 Edited by Maddie_Larkin (6749 posts) -

No, they did not, I would call it a safe launch, and with average content. Somehow most of the net comes across as kids WHO never whitnessed a launch before, look lets be honest most Console launch games have sucked through the ages, with Nintendo being the ones WHO tended to have the best launch games.

I mean, Perfect dark zero anyone? Can not remember if Lair was a launch game, but year along those lines.

So no, they did not mess it up, it was just as average and uneventful as they have been for the last 3 launches.

Now if the rumors of hardware issues ARE true then they will have messed up the launch and post launch, but heres to hoping that they were NOT!

#57 Edited by Douevenlift_bro (5736 posts) -

@Heil68 said:

@lundy86_4 said:

No. A couple of average scoring games is hardly the sign of a failed launch. Overall, the system seems pretty good. It's head and shoulders above the PS3's.

Well said. I'm looking forward to getting mine Thursday night.

Yass.

#58 Edited by vincent380 (2243 posts) -

Some of you guys are doing the most lol. Its not that serious.

Sony will be fine in the long run.

#59 Edited by -RPGamer- (34283 posts) -

No.

I'm getting 5 games at launch and I've never been able to say that about a previous launch. Are they all great games? No, so are merely good (which apparently means they suck), and one is average (but free).

I already pulled the day one update so even if the launch servers suck, I'm covered.

#60 Posted by kinectthedots (2649 posts) -

@princessgomez92 said:

I'm not seeing any system sellers.

lol, because you think the scores people put up here on GS really mean anything...

#61 Posted by urbansys (232 posts) -

All the articles about the wobble and hardware failures should be a big concern for ps4 pre-order folks.

#62 Edited by Truth_Hurts_U (9425 posts) -

There is a lot of MS fan boy damage control right now. Almost the whole front page is full of repeat threads.

They are trying to shake people off record setting launch for Sony. The 11th hour is nearing.

As for the poll... Yes and no.

They got the best HW, but lack games and certain features.

It feels rushed. Just as much as the Xbox One.

#63 Edited by -RPGamer- (34283 posts) -

@urbansys said:

All the articles about the wobble and hardware failures should be a big concern for ps4 pre-order folks.

Why should people care about the ":wobble"?

#64 Posted by Gaming-Planet (14288 posts) -

Yes.

Delayed games

Flop Killzone

Hardware failure

Console is a brick at this point.

#65 Posted by sailor232 (5034 posts) -

I think both launches are going to be a repeat of the wiiU launch, average games at the start while there is a big wait for more than one great game to come along. I think this is how launches will be from now on, games take a very very long time to make, maybe Microsoft will beat this pattern but only because it abandoned the 360 years ago. By the looks of the ps4 it seems to be made of pretty cheap materials, but we will see what happens to stability once it has officially launched and more people have it in their hands,

#66 Posted by Zassimick (7054 posts) -

This may be a question better asked this weekend after the actual launch. May be able to see how widespread the hardware problems are.

But there are plenty of games I want to play from the line-up. So that part of the launch is good for me, but we'll see if my PS4 crashes once I pick it up tomorrow evening.

#67 Posted by Mystery_Writer (8093 posts) -

I guess, as I'm kind of confused right now about what game would be nice to have with my launch PS4.

For example, nothing from the launch lineup I would buy if it where on Steam (for the sake of argument). Except perhaps KZ if it were on sale for $9.

The PS4 launch is really underwhelming.

#68 Posted by sailor232 (5034 posts) -

@-RPGamer- said:

@urbansys said:

Because I pay Sony a lot of money for a console that should be perfectly made, it's one of those things that would always be on my mind, that the console has a flaw out of the box.

#69 Posted by Truth_Hurts_U (9425 posts) -

@sailor232: Just peal the feet off or use some electrical tape. Problem solved if it bothers people so much.

#70 Edited by AznbkdX (3543 posts) -

Nah. Even with a few average scored games it seems like its decent. I'm also guessing the bricking and such of systems isn't a common occurrence so it's no biggie.

#71 Posted by sailor232 (5034 posts) -

@Truth_Hurts_U said:

@sailor232: Just peal the feet off or use some electrical tape. Problem solved if it bothers people so much.

I shouldn't have to do that. It should come level out of the box, I guess that will be the big innovation for the remodel.

#72 Posted by Truth_Hurts_U (9425 posts) -

@sailor232: I have no idea why they even added feet. Since there are no vents on the bottom.

While I do think it was stupid to only have 3 feet. I can see why they did it. To hide them for people who wanted to stand the system up.

#73 Posted by -RPGamer- (34283 posts) -

@sailor232 said:

@-RPGamer- said:

@urbansys said:

Because I pay Sony a lot of money for a console that should be perfectly made, it's one of those things that would always be on my mind, that the console has a flaw out of the box.

Nothing is perfect for one thing. I'm not sure what it says about your life if you waste time worrying about how a console "wobbles" when you randomly push down on one side of the system.

I know when I play a console, I'm always pushing parts of it down to see if I get it to tilt. Turns out you can apply enough force to almost any console and get it to tilt.

#74 Posted by TheEroica (14380 posts) -

I don't think they "screwed" up anything, but I don't think they're giving consumers outside the hype any real compelling reason to buy in... It gives Microsoft a little more time to improve their perception in the early going... especially if the xone launch has a couple notable stand outs... Ultimately a launch doesnt define a generation, but it does set an early tone. I think the PS4 will be fine, but so will MS.

#75 Posted by AK_the_Twilight (285 posts) -

Yeah, Sony screwed up something that hasn't happened yet. Jesus, folks, at least wait until the actual launch day before passing judgments on this.

#76 Edited by Shmiity (5288 posts) -

Not a flopped console, but definitely a rough launch. Nothing to play.

#77 Posted by edidili (3449 posts) -

It might end up being a woobly launch

#78 Posted by thedork_knight (876 posts) -

YES

As there is no real reason to go out and buy one, no games that actually make the purchase worth it Killzone SF no better then the ps3 killzones, Knack lol, the rest of the launch games are either indie or multiplat with the PS3. Reports of system and handset failures, wobble wobble, no mp3/CD/3D Blu ray playback at launch features that are already available on PS3.

Like the PS3 launch after some decent games are released then it'll be worth the purchase, but until then there are no reason to buy one unless you must have the latest technology.

#79 Posted by withe1982 (450 posts) -

Personally votes yes. I'm not saying that it's bad for everyone but even if I was going to get one at launch there's absolutely nothing on offer that interests me. Not a single game I'd think of playing.

I am getting a PS4 late next year when the kinks are ironed out and the line-up is much better. No denying the hardware is superb but to be honest Sony have done little or nothing to show off it's capabilities.

Come on Naughty Dog. Let's be having you.

#80 Posted by speedfog (3337 posts) -

WooblyStation.

#81 Posted by bezza2011 (2700 posts) -

fact is it hasn't launched yet so anyone who is stating it has or hasn't failed is lying becuase it hasn't happened. plus how a launch fails with all pre orders being sold out. it's ashame this hardware failure is happening something isn't right there so we'll have to see.

#82 Posted by Miketheman83 (3156 posts) -

1. It wobbles

2. Exclusives are horrible

3. Hardware failures

#83 Edited by XxR3m1xInHDn3D (2365 posts) -

Yes and no. They did great work at circle jerking with their fanbase and letting Microsoft get all the negative press whilst avoiding it themselves which everyone was fine about because everyone just loves to hate Microsoft. Lucky for them all this happened in the last 24 hours so most of their pre-orders are fine and people will just ebay them if they have a problem with anything. If all the hardware problems are true though Sony are completely screwed because this is gonna be way bigger than the RRoD because of social media

#84 Posted by ccagracing (819 posts) -

I voted yes but I dont believe its a terrible launch. It just should have been so much better. Sony have a multitude of gaming studios and yet only one triple AAA potential title at release is not good enough. Knack was never going to draw a user-base to the system, its not like it was cute and colourful to draw the casuals or the kids to it. The PS4 has a great launch price but its clear corners have been cut, we are being told by them how great it is, being shown spec sheets telling us all about it. Where is the games to show it off? Microsoft have been better at this after the unveiling fiasco by getting the console out early, demonstrating features with video uploads and letting gamers get hands on. If this is close this Holiday season, Sony can only blame themselves.

#85 Posted by j2zon2591 (2342 posts) -

No real big hitters. Even the VITA got an Uncharted.

Voice commands seem sub par.

I prefer to say a mediocre launch.

#86 Posted by yokofox33 (30254 posts) -

The launch is fine. Not any amazing games it seems, but I know in a couple months there will be some great games.

#87 Posted by withe1982 (450 posts) -

A shame that the delay in Watch Dogs and Drive Club have really left Sony with a bit of a damp squib. Add a top racing game and an eagerly anticipated IP to the launch and it wouldn't have looked half bad. As it is it just looks very bare bones. By late next year we should be swimming in exclusives.

#88 Edited by urbansys (232 posts) -

@-RPGamer- said:

@urbansys said:

Ever see what happens to a hard drive and disc drive (blu-ray in this case) if the case its in moves around enough? The wobble is a bigger concern for the hardware inside then you want to admit to or you just dont know any better.

#89 Edited by urbansys (232 posts) -

@bezza2011:

@bezza2011 said:

fact is it hasn't launched yet so anyone who is stating it has or hasn't failed is lying becuase it hasn't happened. plus how a launch fails with all pre orders being sold out. it's ashame this hardware failure is happening something isn't right there so we'll have to see.

The Taco bell winners and many of the big gaming websites have one and that is where these reports are coming from. Try to do a little bit of reading before you post somthing that makes you look like a fool.

#90 Posted by shawn30 (4367 posts) -

I originally said no, but if this system bricking issue is hardware related then yes they have completely fucked this launch. Hopefully for PS4 fans I'm wrong.