Let's do this: what is the best Metroid Prime game?

• 64 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Edited 7 months, 28 days ago

Poll: Let's do this: what is the best Metroid Prime game? (60 votes)

Metroid Prime 78%
Metroid Prime 2: Echoes 18%
Metroid Prime 3: Corruption 3%

Since we don't know when (if) Nintendo will ever release another fucking Metroid Prime, let's look at what we already have, which might just be the most consistently high quality trilogy of all time in gaming. The first Metroid Prime can make a case for being genuinely the greatest game ever made, the second one takes everything the first one did and kicks it up several notches, and the third one, while weaker than the first two, was still a revelation when it comes to the controls.

Three games, that against all odds, were incredible.

Which one was your favorite? And who would buy a fourth one on Wii U in glorious HD?

#1 Posted by drekula2 (1898 posts) -

1 > 3 > 2

but 1 is not god and 2 is not satan

#2 Edited by mems_1224 (46137 posts) -

I've only played the first one and I didnt even finish it because I thought the controls were just awful. I heard the trilogy on wii has better controls so Im gonna get around to playing that some day.

#3 Posted by charizard1605 (55278 posts) -

@drekula2 said:

1 > 3 > 2

2 is not Satan, 2 is the greatest Metroid game ever made

I've only played the first one and I didnt even finish it because I thought the controls were just awful. I heard the trilogy on wii has better controls so Im gonna get around to playing that some day.

Dude, I wish you'd stuck with it (especially since the controls add so much to the atmosphere, IMO)

#4 Edited by turtlethetaffer (16608 posts) -

The only one I've beaten is 1... I really, really, REALLY need to get on that, beating the trilogy. 3 has the best controls, though. 1 is a great game, but I don't quite get why some people say it's so damn amazing. Sure, the fact that they took Metroid and successfully made it 3D is awesome, but I'd say Super Metroid is still the best one.

#5 Posted by Xaero_Gravity (8694 posts) -

Trilogy. :cool:

#6 Posted by PhazonBlazer (11460 posts) -

1 is objectively the best, but I somehow enjoyed 2 more.

#7 Edited by Stevo_the_gamer (42577 posts) -
#8 Edited by charizard1605 (55278 posts) -

Trilogy. :cool:

Laaaaaame

1 is objectively the best, but I somehow enjoyed 2 more.

That's because 2 is objectively the best

#9 Edited by mems_1224 (46137 posts) -

@mems_1224 said:

Dude, I wish you'd stuck with it (especially since the controls add so much to the atmosphere, IMO)

I dont remember how far I got but the last thing I remember is that really dark area with all the metroids and that giant boss that you have to keep switching your gun to kill.

#10 Edited by Gue1 (9339 posts) -

1>>2>>>>3

Prime 3 was by far the worst, Prime 2 the most tedious (very reminiscent to Zelda MM's un-fun gameplay and design) and the first one was the best. The problem with Prime 3 is that Nintendo dumbed it down way too much for the casual crowd. But yeah, the series only got worse with each new iteration.

#11 Posted by FireEmblem_Man (8558 posts) -

Other than the tacked on Multiplayer on Echoes, Prime 2 is my guilty pleasure.

#12 Posted by Stringerboy (6921 posts) -

Only beat the first so I'll go with that.

#13 Posted by nitronik7 (13 posts) -

Prime 3 was terrible, didn't even finish it. 1 was the best.

#14 Posted by trugs26 (5206 posts) -

This is too easy. The first way is so good.

#15 Edited by ReadingRainbow4 (13024 posts) -

Super Metroid.

Fuck that scrubcore prime shit.

Corruption of course.

#16 Edited by bbkkristian (14886 posts) -

The first one. It would be 2, but I got stuck and never finished it.

#17 Edited by Renegade_Fury (17002 posts) -

Echoes>Prime>Corruption

#18 Posted by sonic_spark (4588 posts) -

@drekula2 said:

1 > 3 > 2

This, exactly this.

I will say, the games play drastically better with the Motion controls. And the original gamecube controls for 1&2 were already fantastic.

#19 Posted by dobzilian (2490 posts) -

Number 2 then followed by 1 and then in past number 3.

I dont want no more primes, its over, its gone. I want a sequel to Other M made by PG.

#20 Posted by g0ddyX (3883 posts) -

Halo ;)

#21 Edited by darkspineslayer (19439 posts) -

The Wii version of the original.

No Chaz, shut up.

#22 Posted by dobzilian (2490 posts) -

@g0ddyX: Lmao @ Halo, that was some good Trolling.

#23 Posted by PrincessGomez92 (3323 posts) -

1. I really need the Wii Trilogy.

#24 Edited by Demonjoe93 (9504 posts) -

I liked 1 the most. I'm not exactly sure what was wrong with 3, but I just never liked it and, thus, never finished it. I think I only got about eight hours into it too. 2 was really good, but I liked the level design in 1 better, and the Dark Aerith stuff where you would sometimes just spend a long time having to regenerate your health in the light spheres sometimes made the game a little tedious.

#25 Posted by Big_Pecks (5224 posts) -
#26 Posted by gamefan67 (9840 posts) -

One was the best seeing as how it was the most balanced of the three (gameplay, graphics, audio wise).

Prime Two took a lot of things that were great about Prime One and made them better i.e. the atmosphere / exploration / challenge, but I was not a fan of the ammo system (for the dark and light beam), and some of the upgrades felt useless imo.

Prime Three was definitely the most action packed. The gameplay excelled thanks to the controls but the atmosphere and exploration took a hit (save for the GFS Valhalla) because of it imo.

If I were to put them in order it would be 1 > 3 > 2. Not to say that two is bad though.

#27 Posted by cfisher2833 (1540 posts) -

The original Metroid Prime was the best. Also, why not include Hunters into the poll? Granted, nobody would probably bother voting for it.

#28 Posted by charizard1605 (55278 posts) -

The original Metroid Prime was the best. Also, why not include Hunters into the poll? Granted, nobody would probably bother voting for it.

Only including the main trilogy (but not Trilogy. Har har har)

#29 Posted by AmayaPapaya (9011 posts) -

I liked the second one. I fear we will never see a game like the first two primes again, though :(

#30 Posted by wiifan001 (18340 posts) -

1 > 2 > 3

#31 Posted by NaveedLife (17172 posts) -

I say 1, but I will say that the difficulty, puzzles, and bosses are better in 2. Basically if you can handle the annoying light to dark world transitioning and the constant dreariness, Prime 2 is the best, but due to the awesome variety of environments and enemies in 1, combined with the supreme presentation, it makes 1 the winner in my opinion. As for 3...do we even really consider that a Prime game...or a Metroid game for that matter?

#32 Posted by millerlight89 (18338 posts) -

I love 2 on the Wii. Such a great game. Surprised at how much better it is on the WII

#33 Edited by NaveedLife (17172 posts) -

I love 2 on the Wii. Such a great game. Surprised at how much better it is on the WII

Yeah, the Prime games were the best use of the Wiimote, no doubt. honestly, if the next Metroid game is a first person game like the prime games, or even a third person game but stil like the prime games with a lot of aiming, it NEEDS to be wiimote controlled. I really hope they make it like prime, but in third person with more emphasis (and new features) focused on platforming.

#34 Posted by millerlight89 (18338 posts) -

@millerlight89 said:

Yeah, the Prime games were the best use of the Wiimote, no doubt. honestly, if the next Metroid game is a first person game like the prime games, or even a third person game but stil like the prime games with a lot of aiming, it NEEDS to be wiimote controlled. I really hope they make it like prime, but in third person with more emphasis (and new features) focused on platforming.

Yea I didn't enjoy the games when they were on the Gamecube. I saw the Prime Trilogy on ebay that had 10 minutes left and was at $20.00. I figured I'd just give it a shot since those usually go for around $100. I got it thinking it would just be a nice collectible, but like I said, I am really liking these games with the wii mote.

#35 Edited by Sword-Demon (6920 posts) -
#36 Posted by Minishdriveby (10114 posts) -

I think I'm the only one who didn't enjoy the controls of 3. I thought 1 was the best. 3 had some cool art direction - outside of the Samus model. All were amazing games.

#37 Edited by madsnakehhh (14043 posts) -

3 was really good...but that's about it, i mean it has some really cool momments, and the controls were amazing, but it felt meh in a lot of areas .

2 has an incredible atmosphere, great boss battles, good difficulty and the best power ups, but it had some really annoying momments, frustrating puzzles, boring final quest, and there was a boss battle so ridiculously hard, i almost didn't play 2 again on Trilogy because i didn't want to have that battle all over again.

1 is almost perfect in every way, and it is just barely better than 2, so while maybe Echoes is the better game, i still consider Prime 1 one of the best games ever made.

#38 Edited by Sword-Demon (6920 posts) -

and there was a boss battle so ridiculously hard, i almost didn't play 2 again on Trilogy because i didn't want to have that battle all over again.

Let me guess.. Boost Guardian?

He always gave me so much trouble

#39 Posted by madsnakehhh (14043 posts) -

@madsnakehhh said:

and there was a boss battle so ridiculously hard, i almost didn't play 2 again on Trilogy because i didn't want to have that battle all over again.

Let me guess.. Boost Guardian?

He always gave me so much trouble

Yep, is really not hard to guess, that boss was so hard and so frustrating for all the wrong reasons.

#40 Edited by jg4xchamp (46971 posts) -

Love one more as I think it is the more perfect game in terms of pace overall. But the 2nd game has a lot of meat to it. Very satisfying game. Not against anyone liking that game.

Metroid Prime 3 is Godfather 3 territory. Shit has no business being a part of the trilogy. Pootie Tang is a more appropriate part 3 to both the Metroid Prime and Godfather Trilogy, than either MP3 or Godfather 3 are.

So yeah as far as prime games go for me. 1>2>Pootie Tang

#41 Posted by inb4uall (5226 posts) -

Hunters.

#42 Posted by finalfantasy94 (26225 posts) -

The first one. It would be 2, but I got stuck and never finished it.

I got stuck for a while in 2 as well till the game finally gave me some sort of a hint. MP1 did it better. It didint wait hours upon hours to give you a small hint.For me MP1,MP3 then MP2. Going in and out the dark world constally wasint fun it just felt like padding.

#43 Edited by AtariKidX (6198 posts) -

They are all awesome........i like them all but Metroid Prime 1 is the best.I will buy a WiiU if they make a new metroid Prime game on the WiiU.

#44 Edited by dobzilian (2490 posts) -

@AtariKidX: Did you ever purchase Bravely default?

#45 Edited by AtariKidX (6198 posts) -

@dobzilian said:

@AtariKidX: Did you ever purchase Bravely default?

No.....but what have this to do with the Metroid games.....??

#46 Edited by dobzilian (2490 posts) -

@AtariKidX: Nothing what so ever obviously. Just not heard anyone speak abiut it and remembered you hypjng it so was curious to know is it worth a purchase for 30 pound.

#47 Posted by LegatoSkyheart (24520 posts) -

The First game is magical.

If I wasn't hooked on Monster Hunter right now I would be playing it.

#48 Posted by enzyme36 (1450 posts) -

2 is not only the best Prime but it is the best Metroid game ever made.

It has the best suit in the entire series... the light suit.

The dark/light world meta game of trying to stay near an active beacon adds a nice mechanic to the gameplay.

Having to keep your guns full through opposite polarity kept you actively swapping weapons.

And you get to actually use your skills once your fully buffed during the endgame scavenger hunt.

MP2: Echos is a true masterpiece!

#49 Posted by foxhound_fox (87318 posts) -

Factually it is Echoes.

I personally preferred Prime though. Was better for speed running and reminded me more of Super Metroid.

#50 Posted by TheGuardian03 (21417 posts) -

I regret not playing the trilogy, wtf was i doing in 2002, i mean i had the cube so i don't know, but i will get the collection someday or hope Nintindo does HD remaster for it.