Let's do this: what is the best 3D Zelda game?

• 80 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Posted by charizard1605 (54099 posts) 6 months, 21 days ago

Poll: Let's do this: what is the best 3D Zelda game? (78 votes)

The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 42%
The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask 17%
The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker 18%
The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess 15%
The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword 8%

Arguably the most divisive series of all time (thanks to its rabid, er, passionate fanbase), The Legend of Zelda games, especially the flagship 3D ones, are all high quality ones that nonetheless provoke a multitude of responses.

From Ocarina of Time, which sets the template for all future games in the series to follow, to Majora's Mask which emphasizes characterization and storytelling, to Wind Waker, which gives you an open world to explore presented in a stunning artstyle and with a beautiful soundtrack, to Twilight Princess, which is the ultimate realization of all things Zelda, to Skyward Sword, which is... well, er- it has great music, and it ties together the series story really well, I guess?

But yeah. Five very different games. Which one is your favorite?

#1 Posted by Demonjoe93 (9377 posts) -

I'm going to go with the classic: Ocarina of Time. I loved both Majora's Mask and Wind Waker, but Ocarina of Time still has my vote as best 3D Zelda. As for Twilight Princess and Skyward: Both games were really good and all, but they're just not on the other three's level.

#2 Posted by bbkkristian (14662 posts) -

I'm going to avoid choosing N64 Zeldas. They hold significance the future Zelda's don't have.

So, out of WindWaker, Twilight Princess, and Skyward Sword.

I have to go with Twilight Princess. Everything about the game was just exemplary. Its only downfall is a slow beginning, but most Japanese games have slow starts. I'd rather have a slow start than to be clichedly thrown into the action not knowing wtf is going on.

#3 Posted by Zassimick (6111 posts) -

My vote is Twilight Princess. I waited so long for that game and had to wait even longer once it was revealed that the game would be releasing on Wii first and Gamecube later (dick move, Nintendo). I theorized heavily what would happen in this game, and at one point thought that the game would be a prequel to The Wind Waker; Link would fail his quest, and in the last moments of the game you would take control of Zelda to bring forth the gods to stop Ganon and flood Hyrule. A darker turn for the series but it would be incredibly epic!

The game didn't take that turn, and I had created some lofty expectations for it, but it was an incredible journey and met those expectations all around. The game looked great, played well, was epic. Everything clicked for me and it became one of my favorite games.

Fun fact is that that same year Final Fantasy XII, my favorite Final Fantasy and one of my other favorite games of all time, released. An absolutely fantastic year. I have never hyped games more than I did those two and have them meet and exceed expectations.

#4 Edited by Gue1 (9006 posts) -

Ocarina of Time because it had the least gimmicks. No tedious navigation like Wind Waker, no silly animal transformation like Twilight Princess, no segmented areas like Skyward Sword and the best of all, no fucking annoying time limits like Majora's Mask. Every single 3D Zelda game has been nothing but a derivation from OOT with a gimmick in hopes of making it feel different in conjunction with the bi-polar art-styles.

Zelda series has so many ways in which it can grow but Nintendo doesn't let it just like Pokemon games. They are stuck in some weird limbo except for Mario. Mario is the only Nintendo franchise that they have truly evolved. Because yeah, both Metroid evolved when they transitioned from 2D to 3D but then that was it (although they did try something truly new with Other M). The games keep getting Triple A scores across the board and I have no idea how. You guys really have no idea how happy I was when Gamespot dared to score Zelda TP with a 8/10 because that game is not worthy of the 95/100 it has on Metacritic. That average is extremely high for a game that does absolutely nothing new. In fact, the game was boring.

#5 Posted by Telekill (4159 posts) -

Twilight Princess on Gamecube gets my vote. I really liked the story and it was the last to not have stupid motion controls.

#6 Edited by Demonjoe93 (9377 posts) -

@Gue1 said:

Ocarina of Time because it had the least gimmicks. No tedious navigation like Wind Waker, no silly animal transformation like Twilight Princess, no segmented areas like Skyward Sword and the best of all, no fucking annoying time limits like Majora's Mask. Every single 3D Zelda game has been nothing but a derivation from OOT with a gimmick in hopes of making it feel different in conjunction with the bi-polar art-styles.

Zelda series has so many ways in which it can grow but Nintendo doesn't let it just like Pokemon games. They are stuck in some weird limbo except for Mario. Mario is the only Nintendo franchise that they have truly evolved. Because yeah, both Metroid evolved when they transitioned from 2D to 3D but then that was it. The games keep getting Triple A scores across the board and I have no idea how. You guys really have no idea how happy I was when Gamespot dared to score Zelda TP with a 8/10 because that game is not worthy of the 95/100 it has on Metacritic. That average is extremely high for a game that does absolutely nothing new. In fact, the game was kind of boring...

Never saw the big deal with Twilight Princess either. I mean, I thought it was good and all, but not a 95 average good. I gave it an 8.

#7 Posted by mems_1224 (45652 posts) -

OoT>MM>TP>WW

Haven't played Skyward Sword

#8 Posted by charizard1605 (54099 posts) -

Yes, keep it that way

#9 Posted by mems_1224 (45652 posts) -

@mems_1224 said:

Yes, keep it that way

I hear its good but that it has way too many of those annoying tutorial popups that I just dont have the patience for anymore.

#10 Edited by PrincessGomez92 (3203 posts) -

Right now, it's Ocarina of Time. Still need to beat Twilight Princess, and get Skyward Sword.

#11 Edited by charizard1605 (54099 posts) -

@charizard1605 said:

@mems_1224 said:

Yes, keep it that way

I hear its good but that it has way too many of those annoying tutorial popups that I just dont have the patience for anymore.

It's good like Metroid Other M, Assassin's Creed III, Dragon Age II, or Final Fantasy XIII are good- there's potential there, but it's so totally squandered, it's not worth it.

#12 Edited by turtlethetaffer (16281 posts) -

Majora's Mask, followed by Wind waker. Both of the games one upped OoT. Twilight Princess is also great, especially since Zant is in it. SS has the most obvious flaws, and they make it the worst 3D zelda.

#13 Edited by mrintro (1354 posts) -

Ocarina of Time of course. Btw, just ordered Windwaker HD!

#14 Posted by Big_Pecks (5190 posts) -

Ocarina of Time was a gaming revolution in graphics, gameplay and story. And thanks to OoT3D it's aged decently.

#15 Posted by RealJaysonguy (219 posts) -

I have to argue Skyward Sword. Ocarina will always hold the crown as my favorite game ever, but its significance to 3d gaming often shrouds the fact that it's a game from 1998 and it plays like one. Don't get me wrong, I still blow through the game every couple years, but Skyward Sword currently stands the best in series for me. After waiting so long for Twilight Princess, I found myself disliking the wolf gimmick. Wind Waker felt the same way for me with the sailing, although I liked that a lot more than playing as wolf Link, but the Triforce quest at the end still keeps me from finishing playthrough's to this day.

I will always agree that the overworld felt limited, and there needed to be both synergy in the areas as well as more towns and things to do besides the puzzle-like dungeon world, but when it comes down to it, Skyward Sword felt like the first purely-Zelda adventure since Ocarina. Even if most of the overworld quests in between dungeons were nothing more than fetch quests, the game world was designed to be so much fun to play through, I never noticed. Add that in with great controls (as great as they can be for a motion game), and amazing dungeons that advanced the puzzle design in the game far past pushing cubes and lighting torches, and Skyward Sword stands as the best in series for me.

#16 Posted by turtlethetaffer (16281 posts) -

@Gue1: The time limit is what makes Majora's Mask's atmosphere so good. It is in itself a storytelling device, and the repeated three days helped breathe life into the world in a way that no other game has; each character has a set schedule and routine that they perform at the same time on the same day every cycle.

Plus, Inverted Song of time. Gives you more than enough time to explore in any single play session, unless you play for like ten hours at a time.

#17 Posted by bbkkristian (14662 posts) -

@charizard1605 said:

@mems_1224 said:

Yes, keep it that way

don't listen to Chaz, its a good game. Its worth your time. Don't compare it to other Zelda's and you might actually enjoy it.

#18 Posted by Zassimick (6111 posts) -

@mems_1224 said:

don't listen to Chaz, its a good game. Its worth your time. Don't compare it to other Zelda's and you might actually enjoy it.

It was a great game. There were some problems with it, but if you ignored every game that had its share of problems you wouldn't be gaming for long.

The motion controls are stellar, visuals are beautiful, and the characters (GROOSE!) are great. Gets pretty epic near the end too.

#19 Edited by turtlethetaffer (16281 posts) -

@Zassimick: All those good qualities about the game don't really make up for the fact that it's disappointing in several key aspects. Namely, overworld and pacing. the inbetween dungeon activities felt like blatant filler the majority of the time, and the overworld... well, I think it'd be more apt to say "what overworld?" The sky was such an awesome idea that they did absolutely nothing with. To me, it could have rivaled Majora's Mask or Wind waker as best Zelda world if they actually put more than five worthwhile locations in the sky.

And about the motion controls... I think people who say they suck are wrong, and people who say they're amazing are wrong. In my experience with the game, they're merely "all right." Sometimes they feel terrific, other times they feel shoe horned in and clunky. Depended on the activity they were used for. Sword fighting was solid, but sky diving felt wildly imprecise.

#20 Edited by mems_1224 (45652 posts) -

@mems_1224 said:

@charizard1605 said:

@mems_1224 said:

Yes, keep it that way

Not really possible.

#21 Posted by DarkLink77 (31683 posts) -

Ocarina of Time is probably still the best, but I'll give it to TP for being the most complete.

Wind Waker is easily the weakest of all of them in terms of design, but it excels in the other aspects.

#22 Posted by GreySeal9 (23884 posts) -

Majora's Mask. Ocarina of Time is a close 2nd. I love all the 3D Zeldas but I'm especially a fan of the N64 era Zeldas.

#23 Posted by Zassimick (6111 posts) -

@Zassimick: All those good qualities about the game don't really make up for the fact that it's disappointing in several key aspects. Namely, overworld and pacing. the inbetween dungeon activities felt like blatant filler the majority of the time, and the overworld... well, I think it'd be more apt to say "what overworld?" The sky was such an awesome idea that they did absolutely nothing with. To me, it could have rivaled Majora's Mask or Wind waker as best Zelda world if they actually put more than five worthwhile locations in the sky.

And about the motion controls... I think people who say they suck are wrong, and people who say they're amazing are wrong. In my experience with the game, they're merely "all right." Sometimes they feel terrific, other times they feel shoe horned in and clunky. Depended on the activity they were used for. Sword fighting was solid, but sky diving felt wildly imprecise.

I'd argue that those negative qualities don't keep it from being a good game but I feel we'd just be going around in circles since it is two disagreeing opinions. The overworld, although a little empty (it was the sky) was fine. They should have made the region you can fly around smaller, so that it was less of an overworld and more of a hub. And who knows, putting more areas to explore in the sky may have hurt the pacing of the game even further since a lot of that other 'padding' that you didn't like seemed to do more harm than good.

I was mainly talking about the sword controls. Flight controls were fine, but there were a couple of times that thing seemed off trying to do things in the game. Again, I'll say that there were some problems with the game but if you ignored every title that had its share of problems you wouldn't be gaming for long.

#24 Posted by Kiro0 (1173 posts) -

Definitely Ocarina of Time, glad it's winning. Hoping the next one is impressive after ALBW.

#25 Edited by GreySeal9 (23884 posts) -
@realjaysonguy said:

I have to argue Skyward Sword. Ocarina will always hold the crown as my favorite game ever, but its significance to 3d gaming often shrouds the fact that it's a game from 1998 and it plays like one. Don't get me wrong, I still blow through the game every couple years, but Skyward Sword currently stands the best in series for me. After waiting so long for Twilight Princess, I found myself disliking the wolf gimmick. Wind Waker felt the same way for me with the sailing, although I liked that a lot more than playing as wolf Link, but the Triforce quest at the end still keeps me from finishing playthrough's to this day.

I will always agree that the overworld felt limited, and there needed to be both synergy in the areas as well as more towns and things to do besides the puzzle-like dungeon world, but when it comes down to it, Skyward Sword felt like the first purely-Zelda adventure since Ocarina. Even if most of the overworld quests in between dungeons were nothing more than fetch quests, the game world was designed to be so much fun to play through, I never noticed. Add that in with great controls (as great as they can be for a motion game), and amazing dungeons that advanced the puzzle design in the game far past pushing cubes and lighting torches, and Skyward Sword stands as the best in series for me.

I think you're selling the dungeon design before Skyward Sword short, but I agree that Skyward Sword easily has the best dungeon design in the series.

#26 Posted by NaveedLife (17172 posts) -

Ocarina of Time (10)

Majora's mask (9.5)

Wind Waker (9.5)

Twilight Princess (9)

Skyward Sword (8)

#27 Posted by turtlethetaffer (16281 posts) -

@Zassimick: I'm not saying it's a bad game :P It's still a good one (has awesome level design and boss fights. Kokolos is one of the ebst boss fights in the series IMO) but to me it had more glaring flaws than other 3D Zeldas. Like, it was really, really obvious when they were just doing something to extend the length of the game, whereas in other games they always seemed interesting and fun.

This is all just my take.

#28 Posted by charizard1605 (54099 posts) -

@Kiro0 said:

Definitely Ocarina of Time, glad it's winning. Hoping the next one is impressive after ALBW.

IF A Link Between Worlds is any indication of how they are going to approach the Wii U one, then I think we can count on it being awesome.

#29 Posted by bbkkristian (14662 posts) -

@bbkkristian said:

@mems_1224 said:

It was a great game. There were some problems with it, but if you ignored every game that had its share of problems you wouldn't be gaming for long.

The motion controls are stellar, visuals are beautiful, and the characters (GROOSE!) are great. Gets pretty epic near the end too.

Yup, basically.

#30 Posted by Zassimick (6111 posts) -

@Zassimick: I'm not saying it's a bad game :P It's still a good one (has awesome level design and boss fights. Kokolos is one of the ebst boss fights in the series IMO) but to me it had more glaring flaws than other 3D Zeldas. Like, it was really, really obvious when they were just doing something to extend the length of the game, whereas in other games they always seemed interesting and fun.

Oh yeah, if you ask me it is the weakest of the 3D Zelda games. A couple of times things did just feel like padding (three fights with Demise? c'mon!) but some of the things you had to do before the dungeons were a lot of fun.

#31 Posted by GreySeal9 (23884 posts) -

@turtlethetaffer said:

Oh yeah, if you ask me it is the weakest of the 3D Zelda games. A couple of times things did just feel like padding (three fights with Demise? c'mon!) but some of the things you had to do before the dungeons were a lot of fun.

That part where you have to collect those musical notes underwater was so terrible.

Great game tho.

#32 Posted by turtlethetaffer (16281 posts) -

@GreySeal9: To me, it was the first Zelda game where I was like "okay, let's just get on to the dungeon. Come on. No, I don't want to- goddamnit." The fight against the scorpion was also really redundant, and fighting the Imprisoned three times felt pretty repetitive, even though it was different each time.

#33 Edited by NaveedLife (17172 posts) -

@turtlethetaffer said:

Yeah, they pick the least fun and worst looking boss to fight mutliple times. I remember fighting it a third time not long after the second. I was like again?...and ALREADY!? But my big problem was the lack of exploration and such.

PS = Groose is not a great character. Come to think of it, the characters were probably my least favorite yet. The story may have been slightly more fleshed out in a sense, but the characters were boring for the most part.

#34 Edited by GreySeal9 (23884 posts) -

@turtlethetaffer said:

@GreySeal9: To me, it was the first Zelda game where I was like "okay, let's just get on to the dungeon. Come on. No, I don't want to- goddamnit." The fight against the scorpion was also really redundant, and fighting the Imprisoned three times felt pretty repetitive, even though it was different each time.

Yeah, the Imprisoned was a pretty terrible recurring boss fight and admittedly I felt like turning off the game every time I had to fight it. The scale of it was kind of cool tho.

#35 Posted by turtlethetaffer (16281 posts) -

@NaveedLife: I'd say that the first four 3D zeldas had worthwhile stories. SS was solid, but Fi added almost nothing to the story, and Girahim felt underused compared to someone like Zant.

I think the biggest issue with the pacing for me was that the inbetween dungeon activities didn't feel like a part of the world. In Majora's Mask, every scenario before a dungeon was a treat, since it added to the story of the game world and felt organic. Same with Wind Waker. They each have fascinating worlds, and the activities to back them up. SS felt far too empty to me, devoid of any exploration. As a result, many (not all) of the parts outside dungeons felt like little more than filler.

#36 Posted by PhazonBlazer (11345 posts) -

1. Wind Waker

2. Ocarina of Time

3.Twilight Princess

4. Skyward Sword

5. Majora's Mask

#37 Posted by Zassimick (6111 posts) -

PS = Groose is not a great character. Come to think of it, the characters were probably my least favorite yet. The story may have been slightly more fleshed out in a sense, but the characters were boring for the most part.

I really enjoyed the characters. Zelda in particular was terrific in the game. The story being fleshed out more did help and I hope Nintendo continues improving on the stories the way they have been.

#38 Edited by Shinobishyguy (22302 posts) -

Majora's mask. OOT may have more dungeons but the 4 in Majora were really fleshed out, and the side quests more than pick up the slack

#39 Posted by Stringerboy (6874 posts) -

Darksiders.

#40 Posted by NaveedLife (17172 posts) -

@NaveedLife: I'd say that the first four 3D zeldas had worthwhile stories. SS was solid, but Fi added almost nothing to the story, and Girahim felt underused compared to someone like Zant.

I think the biggest issue with the pacing for me was that the inbetween dungeon activities didn't feel like a part of the world. In Majora's Mask, every scenario before a dungeon was a treat, since it added to the story of the game world and felt organic. Same with Wind Waker. They each have fascinating worlds, and the activities to back them up. SS felt far too empty to me, devoid of any exploration. As a result, many (not all) of the parts outside dungeons felt like little more than filler.

Fully Agree with you. SS just focused more on story and since it predates the others, it had more backstory, which made it feel cooler. With that said, I think the others had better characters (Fi is the worst companion to date) and actually were much better all around, it is just that they chose to focus on story more this time...since it IS so damn linear, ya know? ;)

I have not played ALBW yet, but if it is as good as I hear, it will restore my faith in the upcoming Zelda U, which is the one game that could make me buy a WiiU for it and it alone.

#41 Posted by RealJaysonguy (219 posts) -

@realjaysonguy said:

I think you're selling the dungeon design before Skyward Sword short, but I agree that Skyward Sword easily has the best dungeon design in the series.

Don't get me wrong, those dungeons hold up just fine, but still, some of the standard puzzles were becoming tired, and Skyward Sword advanced Zelda dungeons in a way that they can't ever go back from.

#42 Posted by charizard1605 (54099 posts) -

@turtlethetaffer said:

Fully Agree with you. SS just focused more on story and since it predates the others, it had more backstory, which made it feel cooler. With that said, I think the others had better characters (Fi is the worst companion to date) and actually were much better all around, it is just that they chose to focus on story more this time...since it IS so damn linear, ya know? ;)

I have not played ALBW yet, but if it is as good as I hear, it will restore my faith in the upcoming Zelda U, which is the one game that could make me buy a WiiU for it and it alone.

Trust me when I say this- it is the best Zelda game released since 1992.

#43 Edited by millerlight89 (18338 posts) -

IDK, I just don't know. I really love Wind Waker, and it's even better on WiiU. I like Twilight Princess, and I like Skyward Sword. I also like Majora's Mask. My least favorite is OoT. Truly the most overrated of the bunch.

#44 Posted by NaveedLife (17172 posts) -

@NaveedLife said:

@turtlethetaffer said:

You are saying it is better than Ocarina of Time (and Majora's Mask and Winder Waker)...which I find VERY hard to believe. But I will certainly keep an open mind. My top 5 is probably...

1. OoT
  2. MM
  3. ALTTP
  4. WW
  5. Oracle of Ages/Seasons

If it can crack the top 5, I will be amazed.

#45 Edited by charizard1605 (54099 posts) -

@charizard1605 said:

@NaveedLife said:

@turtlethetaffer said:

You are saying it is better than Ocarina of Time (and Majora's Mask and Winder Waker)...which I find VERY hard to believe. But I will certainly keep an open mind. My top 5 is probably...

1. OoT
  2. MM
  3. ALTTP
  4. WW

I am saying it is better than any 3D Zelda game ever made, yes.

#46 Edited by Sword-Demon (6853 posts) -

Story: OoT

Gameplay: MM

Atmosphere: WW

Who the hell voted for SS?

#47 Edited by madsnakehhh (13946 posts) -

@realjaysonguy:

Yep, say whatever you want about SS but damn, dat dungeon design!!!

Anyway, i have to go with Ocarina of Time, my favorite game of all time, it was the first game that truly put me on an adventure that felt really Epic, i still get goosebumps when i fight Ganon, which it is my one of my favorite gaming moments of all time. Sure, nostalgia has a lot to do, and at the time i truly felt that Ocarina of Time was the greatest gaming achievement ever made and as years went by, there are very few games that had made me feel the same, so yeah, i have to go with The Legend of Zelda Ocarina of Time.

#48 Posted by madsnakehhh (13946 posts) -

@NaveedLife: Lol, of course is no better than all 3D Zelda games, however it's an extraordinary game that's for sure, top 5 in the franchise, easily. however as great as it is, the boss battles are pretty meh, the plot is as weak as it was in AlttP, and there are a few things that can get annoying, still, is one of the best games in the franchise and arguably the best 3DS game, make no mistake about it...i would probably put it behind OoT, AlttP and Wind Waker HD...and maybe, just maybe, above AlttP

#49 Posted by bbkkristian (14662 posts) -

Story: OoT

Gameplay: MM

Atmosphere: WW

Who the hell voted for SS?

Nice little format you got there, I'm copying it:

Story: Skyward Sword

OST: Twilight Princess

Gameplay: Twilight Princess

Atmosphere/World: WindWaker

Replayability: Majora's mask

Whole Game: Ocarina of Time

Combine all of that, would make Zelda Wii U game of epic proportions.
Well, I wouldn't want a Wind Waker world again. Sorry. I want a Hyrule field with Epona.

#50 Posted by millerlight89 (18338 posts) -

@NaveedLife said:

@charizard1605 said:

@NaveedLife said:

@turtlethetaffer said:

1. OoT
  2. MM
  3. ALTTP
  4. WW

I am saying it is better than any 3D Zelda game ever made, yes.

Fuck yea, that honeymoon period.