Let's Discuss Tomb Raider Fraud Edition

• 72 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

DarthRamms

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By DarthRamms
Member since 2013 • 1128 Posts

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yk5tyVKBt1k

This guy seems to some it all up because it seems like SE trying grab some extra cash the wrong way.

SE said something about outputting 4k texture yet the ps4 can not do 4k resolution. Not only that they said it was going have better physics yet uses the same engine as the PC version but lacks something like PhysX. Seems to me nothing but SE PR talk to convince the masses it somehow worth 60 dollars. Great Laura looks different and oddly that's probably the biggest change we can easily notice.

Could they have a least redid the MP into something better lol

mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 mems_1224
Member since 2004 • 56919 Posts

Dont buy it then. Problem solved. Stop crying.

Avatar image for stereointegrity
stereointegrity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By stereointegrity
Member since 2007 • 12151 Posts

@DarthRamms said:

This guy seems to some it all up because it seems like SE trying grab some extra cash the wrong way.

SE said something about outputting 4k texture yet the ps4 can not do 4k resolution. Not only that they said it was going have better physics yet uses the same engine as the PC version but lacks PhysX. Seems to me nothing but SE PR talk to convince the masses it somehow worth 60 dollars. Great Laura looks different and oddly that's probably the biggest change we can easily notice.

4 k textures have nothing to do with 4k resolution output on screen

*insert my brain is full of **** meme here*

CroidX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By CroidX
Member since 2013 • 1561 Posts

What a rip off why pay 60 dollars when you can get the pc version for a cheaper price but perhaps Square thinks the slight changes were worth it and now they think they can PR talk people into buying the definitive version.

Avatar image for CrownKingArthur
CrownKingArthur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By CrownKingArthur
Member since 2013 • 5262 Posts

damn. square enix are ruthless.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6 lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

4K textures aren't the same as 4k resolution. And I am pretty sure that tomb raider does not use physx on PC

Rage010101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Rage010101
Member since 2006 • 5470 Posts

Also runs only at 30 fps. All those console kids (you scrubs know who you are) who opened the champagne too early a few months ago are in bitter tears now. FAIL! LMFAO

DarthRamms

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By DarthRamms

@stereointegrity:

perhaps I worded it wrong

"Every texture has been boosted to the maximum 4K resolution"

DarthRamms

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By DarthRamms

@lostrib: My wording was off

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By lostrib

@DarthRamms said:

@lostrib: My wording was off

Yes, the textures are supposedly 4k, the game resolution is not. What exactly is the issue?

applefan1991

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 applefan1991  Moderator
Member since 2009 • 3397 Posts

I'm pretty disappointed tbh. I was really planning on getting it, but I think the $60 is a little steep. I played the game at a friends house and it was a lot of fun, so much so that I was going to get it if it was around $39.99 or so. It's not that I can't afford it, it's that I don't really want to give them a sale and basically vote with my wallet that an upgraded version of a game thats a year old is somehow worth another $60.

treedoor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 treedoor
Member since 2004 • 7648 Posts

SE Just wants to promote their product.

They just secretly like the PC the most because they publish some good stuff on PC. Just Cause, batman, tomb raider, hitman, deus ex... All noticeably better on PC in terms of graphical effects and controls in some cases. They don't just simply port games to PC. They put extra time and money into it.

Rage010101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Rage010101
Member since 2006 • 5470 Posts

@WadeFan:

Upgrade? The pc version remains the best version. Just get the pc version for $10 or less, it goes on sale very often.

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 freedomfreak
Member since 2004 • 52426 Posts

Ever since they've announced this, articles kept popping of the CD trying to justify their price tag.

It's pathetic. I get that developers are pulling this stuff. It's a money grab. Nothing more, nothing less. There's no heart put into it.

They talk about these graphical upgrades, which are meh at best, especially considering there's a PC version floating about. They whine about how it totally changes the game.

It doesn't. It will not change a thing. This version also includes the DLC.

Thank you, CD, for including DLC for a multiplayer mode which is terrible, and just a straight D-grade rip-off from Uncharted 2.
I would've SOMEWHAT accepted your whole justification if you added SP DLC. You know, like tombs that weren't designed for 5 year olds. But you stated before that you weren't gonna make SP DLC. God knows why. Perhaps because the MP is a vital part of the game according to them.

Bleh. I'm not wasting money on this.

applefan1991

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 applefan1991  Moderator
Member since 2009 • 3397 Posts

@Rage010101 said:

@WadeFan:

Upgrade? The pc version remains the best version. Just get the pc version for $10 or less, it goes on sale very often.

I mean they did "upgrade" the graphics. That's what I was referring to.

TheFadeForever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 TheFadeForever
Member since 2013 • 2655 Posts

This article sums it up nicely

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/443915/previews/hands-on-tomb-raiders-definitive-edition-offers-cosmetic-improvements-and-not-much-else/

Avatar image for endlessinfinity
EndlessInfinity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#18  Edited By EndlessInfinity
Member since 2013 • 231 Posts

It is a slightly redid pc version already have Tome Raider Non-Fraud Edition anyways lol I'm sure people will enjoy a slightly better texture laura

TheFadeForever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 TheFadeForever
Member since 2013 • 2655 Posts

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/443915/previews/hands-on-tomb-raiders-definitive-edition-offers-cosmetic-improvements-and-not-much-else/

"The additional power of the PS4 and Xbox One has also benefited the game's draw distance. Environmental objects such as trees and details in architecture are discernible much further than in the original release. Tomb Raider has some very impressive landscapes and environments, so we found ourselves taking brief breaks from clambering up walls and shimmying along cliffs to stare out into the jungle, or look down into an enemy encampment.

Those are the main visual upgrades, but there's also some incidental tweaks and touch-ups such as clearer linework on letters, notes, books and maps; water that ripples more convincingly as Lara wades through, she'll develop a thin film of glossy sweat on her skin when under stress, and there has been a general upgrades to sharpness of textures. But, as previously mentioned, these are all touches that are easy to miss."

Um a mod could do better than this lol

bobbetybob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#20 bobbetybob
Member since 2005 • 19370 Posts
@DarthRamms said:

@stereointegrity:

perhaps I worded it wrong

4K = 4096 x 4096 pixels. It's the size of the texture used.

And this guy is an idiot, he doesn't even known what fraud is. Fraud is deceiving people for monetary gains, they aren't deceiving anybody. Is it a rip off? Yes; the extra content definitely doesn't warrant to the huge price bump and like he says the game is very new, but it's no different to GOTY editions we've seen in the past, just with a crappy price.

Sushiglutton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Sushiglutton
Member since 2009 • 9853 Posts

I think it's a pretty big misstake to sell it for $60 as it's such an obvious rip-off that It just makes people angry. Think they would have made more money if they sold it for $30.

Joedgabe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Joedgabe
Member since 2006 • 5134 Posts

@speak_low said:

I don't like the high price ($39.99 or even $49.99 should be the starting price) but to correct two things

- 4K resolution (already addressed by others)

- Physx doesn't run on the Tomb Raider PC version. You may be thinking of TressFX, which is in this new Definitive Edition

- People who have played Tomb Raider PC can play 60fps, but once TressFX is activated, framerate fall to 40-30fps, which is exactly what we're getting on this Definitive Edition.

So this is fairly normal, not staggeringly below PC.

Both PC and X1/PS4, with TressFX turned on (huge power hog) cuts down framerates by almost half.

Someone said AMD has a new TressFX 2.0 and that should've been used and much more streamlined and still maintaining 60fps, but I haven't seen confirmation the Definitive Edition uses TressFX 2.0

I understand people want the newest version of Tomb Raider called the "Definitive Edition" to do everything better than all previous versions, but I'm convinced the combination of launch window inexperience and TressFX is holding them back from 60fps.

It looks slightly better, maintains similar framerate, and has TressFX not possible on 360/PS3. I agree the price is high but they're not trying to peddle a vastly inferior product from the PC version

Is that because of the programming of the game or does it depend on your set up? I was surprised too i was running on everything on max ultra w/e had 0 lag or anything at all no frame rate issues nothing but once i turned that on the only thing it did was like change her hair and all of the sudden my game starts skipping frames.. i was so confused ._.

Gue1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Gue1
Member since 2004 • 12171 Posts

and the gen only started....

LustForSoul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By LustForSoul
Member since 2011 • 6404 Posts

So the PC gets the best version of all and sells it for cheaper. Hell, it's now long after release and you can get TR for really cheap on PC. I'd say it's a big rip off. Minus Respect SE.

Avatar image for princessgomez92
PrincessGomez92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 201

#25 PrincessGomez92
Member since 2013 • 5747 Posts

No way would I waste money on this. I can just get the GOTY Edition for half the price. Upgraded visuals and a ruined Lara face aren't worth the extra $30.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 lostrib

@princessgomez92 said:

No way would I waste money on this. I can just get the GOTY Edition for half the price. Upgraded visuals and a ruined Lara face aren't worth the extra $30.

What about the hair? Super realistic hair physics has to be worth at least 30 bucks

CroidX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By CroidX

So um anybody planning to buy this anytime soon lol

CroidX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By CroidX

@TheFadeForever:

Seriously, I do think a bunch of modders could do better than that.

PrincessGomez92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 PrincessGomez92

@lostrib said:

@princessgomez92 said:

What about the hair? Super realistic hair physics has to be worth at least 30 bucks

New hair physics? Oh definitely worth it then.

Avatar image for CrownKingArthur
CrownKingArthur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 CrownKingArthur
Member since 2013 • 5262 Posts
@princessgomez92 said:

@lostrib said:

@princessgomez92 said:

ironically the game probably costs less than a woman's hair cut.

i should break into that business. not to mention running my fingers through the hair of all them fine women. mmhmm.

gain their trust, then berry them repeatedly.

RR360DD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 RR360DD
Member since 2011 • 14099 Posts

Its a pity they're going to all this trouble over this game when it wasn't anything special to begin with. So now we have the standard edition, the GOTY edition and the definitive edition. Overkill really. The game was fun but not good enough to make me want to play through it again.

Would much prefer R* releasing a next gen version of GTAV or Irrational releasing a next gen version of Bioshock Infinite. You know a game that actually deserves a second playthrough.

padaporra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By padaporra
Member since 2005 • 3508 Posts

Surely it would make more sense to actually play the game on a next gen console before judging it? The almost of irrational hate this is getting is absurd.

MeganFocks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 MeganFocks
Member since 2014 • 162 Posts

@treedoor said:

SE Just wants to promote their product.

They just secretly like the PC the most because they publish some good stuff on PC. Just Cause, batman, tomb raider, hitman, deus ex... All noticeably better on PC in terms of graphical effects and controls in some cases. They don't just simply port games to PC. They put extra time and money into it.

Batman? That's Warner Brother's IP.

PrincessGomez92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 PrincessGomez92

@CrownKingArthur said:
@princessgomez92 said:

@lostrib said:

@princessgomez92 said:

ironically the game probably costs less than a woman's hair cut.

i should break into that business. not to mention running my fingers through the hair of all them fine women. mmhmm.

gain their trust, then berry them repeatedly.

Lol, I know how you love to berry.

MeganFocks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 MeganFocks
Member since 2014 • 162 Posts
@padaporra said:

Surely it would make more sense to actually play the game on a next gen console before judging it? The almost of irrational hate this is getting is absurd.

Why? It's a $60 graphics update, AFAIK it doesn't really change gameplay so there's no need for that excuse. You can see graphics on a screenshot/video just fine, no need to waste 60 bucks for a PC port.

Avatar image for deactivated-59b71619573a1
deactivated-59b71619573a1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By deactivated-59b71619573a1
Member since 2007 • 38222 Posts

It's nice for the people who didn't play it and now have a shiny new console to play it for the first time

for the rest of us the move is cold blooded and daylight robbery. The new version isn't nearly different enough to warrant the same price tag.

Doesn't matter, game is still poop anyway

Avatar image for deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
Member since 2012 • 12449 Posts

Ironically this is what modders can do to games free of charge, and probably better, yet consolite will say "mods devalue what the developers make" ... absolutely window licking retarded.

go buy your £50 mod console scrubs.

inggrish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By inggrish
Member since 2005 • 10502 Posts

@lostrib said:

4K textures aren't the same as 4k resolution. And I am pretty sure that tomb raider does not use physx on PC

Yup, this.

@seanmcloughlin said:

It's nice for the people who didn't play it and now have a shiny new console to play it for the first time

for the rest of us the move is cold blooded and daylight robbery. The new version isn't nearly different enough to warrant the same price tag.

Doesn't matter, game is still poop anyway

and this. (Though the game was awesome, how dare thee!)

Avatar image for megaspiderweb09
megaspiderweb09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By megaspiderweb09
Member since 2009 • 3686 Posts

sukraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#40 sukraj
Member since 2008 • 27859 Posts

@CroidX said:

I'm getting it for the Xbox One next week.

tubbyc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 tubbyc
Member since 2005 • 4004 Posts

"Please don't buy Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition" he begs. But I haven't played it yet and I have my PS4 set up with my TV and surround speakers. This game would be ideal for that, and I would much rather get the PS4 version with its improvements over the last gen version. The extra cost is no big deal to me.

Also, his claim starting from 9:40 about the new consoles not changing anything, as if it will be nothing but "rehashes" was complete bullshit. Of course you'll get some remakes or enhanced editions of games, and if you don't think one is worth the price for you for whatever reason, you don't have to buy it. No need to try to force your preference on everyone else.

Ridiculous video.

Avatar image for deactivated-59b71619573a1
deactivated-59b71619573a1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 deactivated-59b71619573a1
Member since 2007 • 38222 Posts

@_Matt_ said:

hey, I'm only telling the truth here

PrincessGomez92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 PrincessGomez92

@sukraj said:

@CroidX said:

Why would you buy it again when you already have it?

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46260 Posts

@DarthRamms said:

SE said something about outputting 4k texture yet the ps4 can not do 4k resolution. Not only that they said it was going have better physics yet uses the same engine as the PC version but lacks something like PhysX. Seems to me nothing but SE PR talk to convince the masses it somehow worth 60 dollars. Great Laura looks different and oddly that's probably the biggest change we can easily notice.

It seems you don't have a clue about what you are talking about. Won't watch the video, but if he says the same thing as you than you just copied the opinion of somebody who doesn't have a clue either.

4K textures have nothing to do 4K resolution.

And you are expecting Physx on a PS4 with an AMD GPU ? lol

@tubbyc said:

"Please don't buy Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition" he begs. But I haven't played it yet and I have my PS4 set up with my TV and surround speakers. This game would be ideal for that, and I would much rather get the PS4 version with its improvements over the last gen version. The extra cost is no big deal to me.

Also, his claim starting from 9:40 about the new consoles not changing anything, as if it will be nothing but "rehashes" was complete bullshit. Of course you'll get some remakes or enhanced editions of games, and if you don't think one is worth the price for you for whatever reason, you don't have to buy it. No need to try to force your preference on everyone else.

Ridiculous video.

People like you, the ones that haven't played tomb raider but own a PS4 or Xbone, are what this version is made for IMO. You are getting a better looking and performing version than on last gen consoles.

I don't think that people that already own it on PS3/360 or PC should get it again. But for the people that haven't played it yet, it's a great version.

Nobody should tell you not to buy it, especially not with fake arguments like TC.

sukraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#45 sukraj
Member since 2008 • 27859 Posts

@princessgomez92 said:

@sukraj said:

@CroidX said:

Why would you buy it again when you already have it?

I want to play something on my brand new console.

silversix_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 silversix_
Member since 2010 • 26347 Posts

What is there to talk about? The original superior version was a shitty QTE linear cutsceen spam fest and this is the same but fuglier. The version was created for dumb people that may buy it because there's nothing else on the market until March.

inggrish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By inggrish
Member since 2005 • 10502 Posts

@seanmcloughlin said:

@_Matt_ said:

hey, I'm only telling the truth here

I'll admit it was overrated, but I did enjoy it :)

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60712 Posts

I'm going to gamefly it.

bezza2011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#49 bezza2011
Member since 2006 • 2729 Posts

what are People problems we normally get a lot of game of the year editions which are pretty much the same game at the same price so what's it matter that there matters ps4/xbox one, wow and half the people were hoping for a GTA 5 and many other games what's the problem

Krelian-co

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Krelian-co
Member since 2006 • 13274 Posts

@DarthRamms said:

i highly doubt the 4k resolution, they would have to downscale it and it would lose the point of making it anyway, as for the physics is a matter of how they encode the game, if they worked on it post release it can have better physics.