Let's Discuss the Benifits of Digital downloads on consoles?

#1 Edited by B4X (4306 posts) -

I'll start with the benefits and negatives that I feel that can be justified.

Benefits

Not having to get up and change this disk.

Hoping from game to game with a button push.

Sales that SOMETIMES are cheaper than retail.

Not having to go out of the house and pick up the game.

Reaching for something positive. Please add if I missed any thing?

Negatives

Price reflecting MSRP prices. When packaging and Retail MSRP should not come into play.

Paying the retail profits for a package of lesser value.

No Physical copy.

The issue of backwards compatibility from gen to gen. Non-existent. This is a major flaw for me.

No option of trading in a game to re-coop any profits.

Possibility of Losing media due to companies collapsing their online structure.

The same game at an online or retail outlet being up to 20 dollars cheaper than the digital console refection. Amazon or other retailers.

No pre-order incentives.

Mining for additional profits with shit DLC. To justify the omission of content. Capcom.

Now we are starting to see online CONSOLE rental services that are trying to continue this scummy tactic. In SONY rental service and whatever shitty Microsoft service that will reveal its ugly head?

Please explain why you justify digital purchases over retail purchases in it current state?

I would like your insight on this structure? Why should we continue to support this practice on consoles?

Thoughts?

#2 Edited by DEadliNE-Zero0 (1973 posts) -

Many of your problems are actually console related. On PC, you can find distribution sites that sell cheaper than physical disc. Also, you can pirate games to keep as backup, just in case something is to happen.

Since Sony and MS are in controll of distribution and prices on consoles, if i'm not mistaken, giving you less options. I'm not 100% sure, but if your games are attached to your LIVE/PLUS accounts, that's problematic.

#3 Posted by BldgIrsh (2221 posts) -

Somehow PC is gonna be brought up in this argument. One way or another.

Anyways, for consoles the prices need to be more competitive, that's basically the only real issue.

#4 Posted by Daious (1253 posts) -

Consoles would = a monopoly in terms of digital distribution. It would either be the xbox store or psn store.

PC has many options and many different resellers.

The only way console digital content would be viable is if they allowed different competitors which would not happen :(

#5 Posted by Basinboy (11090 posts) -

You do get incentives with DD pre-orders - they're just all digital or in-game stuff (which is more or less what you get with a retail pre-order, unless you're shopping for CEs).

DD also offers a master library, zero possibility of malfunctioning games due to physical damage, and no sales tax (in the U.S. anyway, although it's a matter of time before that gets changed).

#6 Edited by gameofthering (10201 posts) -

The reasons that prevented me from buying Digital content on the consoles were price and that you couldn't play them on different systems.

#7 Edited by cainetao11 (17351 posts) -

I received some gift cards for Live when I returned from the Army, and finished my first term in college. Family has been very supportive to me. I bought Ryse when it was on sale. I am lazy. That is the number one reason for me. I spent more money on Beer in 2 hours at a bar is another. Gaming is healthier for this drunk that's for sure. I have limited space where I live and digital takes none of it.

But the negatives, in particular $60 a game are massive. I rarely have paid that price for any digital game. But the idea of going all digital must address this if it is to happen.

#8 Edited by B4X (4306 posts) -

@Basinboy said:

You do get incentives with DD pre-orders - they're just all digital or in-game stuff (which is more or less what you get with a retail pre-order, unless you're shopping for CEs).

DD also offers a master library, zero possibility of malfunctioning games due to physical damage, and no sales tax (in the U.S. anyway, although it's a matter of time before that gets changed).

Microsoft charges me sales tax on retail games purchases in the US. The only time I don't get charged sales tax is if I purchase an online gamer card from amazon or some other retailer.

This may have changed when they switched to currency instead of MS points? I haven't bought digital in a while. Unless it's a huge sale.

#9 Edited by k2theswiss (16599 posts) -

@b4x said:

I'll start with the benefits and negatives that I feel that can be justified.

Benefits

Not having to get up and change this disk.

Hoping from game to game with a button push.

Sales that SOMETIMES are cheaper than retail.

• lol NO You can pretty much always cheaper

Not having to go out of the house and pick up the game.

• ok, sure but end up spending hours to download a 40gb game. Could gone to the store picked it up and brought it back had some food and installed it and beat the first level

Reaching for something positive. Please add if I missed any thing?

Negatives

Price reflecting MSRP prices. When packaging and Retail MSRP should not come into play.

Paying the retail profits for a package of lesser value.

No Physical copy.

Possibility of Losing media due to companies collapsing their online structure.

The same game at an online or retail outlet being up to 20 dollars cheaper than the digital console refection. Amazon or other retailers.

No pre-order incentives.

Mining for additional profits with shit DLC. To justify the omission of content. Capcom.

Now we are starting to see online CONSOLE rental services that are trying to continue this scummy tactic. In SONY rental service and whatever shitty Microsoft service that will reveal its ugly head?

Please explain why you justify digital purchases over retail purchases in it current state?

I would like your insight on this structure? Why should we continue to support this practice on consoles?

Thoughts?

the pro's for digital on console is nowhere near matching the pros buying hard

#10 Edited by General_Solo76 (198 posts) -

There are no benefits to digital downloads imo. I'm not so pathetically lazy that I can't get up to swap discs.

#11 Edited by finalstar2007 (25092 posts) -

What i think:

Positives:

• Getting games on the spot, no need to go out in the cold or be in huge lines just to get a game on release date
  • pre-loading ( PS4 ) is a pretty cool idea i can now get a game ready to play by midnight since it starts downloading before the official release date
  • No more boxes to take shelf space
  • Digital games dont charge tax

Negatives:

While digital games dont charge you tax they do charge the exact same full price as retail which makes no sense i mean im not receiving a box or a boxart or a manual or anything plus downloading the game takes internet bandwidth so why the f*ck am i being changed full price? online games should be at least $10 cheaper than retail ( like on PC ) ( retailers can be quite i know they are most likely the reason why the same games digitally arent charged less since retailers may complain ).

#13 Posted by Basinboy (11090 posts) -

@b4x: Odd - none of my PSN, Steam, or other DD purchases have charged me sales tax (not Amazon, GoG, GetGames, or GreenManGaming)

#14 Posted by freedomfreak (40026 posts) -

The only good it has done for me was the fact that I was able to get games my store didn't have. And most of them were on sale.

Besides that, physical. Don't care about going outside to buy them, or getting up to change the disc.

#15 Posted by RR360DD (11791 posts) -

You do get pre-order incentives with some digital purchases.

I'd say the biggest downfall right now is price. They're just not competitive enough with retailers and physical copies on consoles.

Having your entire library digitally, and being able to take it wherever and load it on any Xbox was a really cool feature. That and being able to share digital games with family no matter where they are without the need to send a physical disc. Two features I wish MS would've kept on the XOne.

Plus MS had intentions of creating a digital marketplace where you could sell off your digital games. Pretty sure Valve have said the same thing too.

So theres definitely potential there

#16 Posted by AdobeArtist (22845 posts) -

@b4x said:

This is the main tipping point for digital games. Under NO circumstances should they cost the same as retail. They've bypassed any stores markup, and have even skipped packaging material and printing costs, as well as the shipping cost to get it to the store. It's criminal to charge the same for a game that did not have a retail fee in it.

And the idea of paying $50-60 for something you can't recoup the expense on for a future purchase is also absurd. I bought Injustice on PS4 at a sale price of $25, which to me is a fair online price (yeah I know the steam deals can beat that) and which is in a range where the need to resell is no longer a consideration.

#17 Edited by Heil68 (43997 posts) -

The only pro for me would be price and if DD cant be significantly cheaper, I'll buy physical everytime.

#18 Posted by hrt_rulz01 (5978 posts) -

@Heil68 said:

The only pro for me would be price and if DD cant be significantly cheaper, I'll buy physical everytime.

Yep same. Almost always it's cheaper for me to buy the disc version... which is ridiculous since it should be waaaaay cheaper to buy it digitally.

Plus I have slow internet.

#19 Posted by pyro1245 (772 posts) -

Yeah... The consoles will have to change some things up with their distro services if they hope to make the transition to mostly digital. No backwards compatibility is the current deal-breaker IMO; that and the prices/sales; and the fact that you can't back up the games in case it stops being available for download somehow.

Add the pro: It can't be stolen or lost.

I think all digital is a good thing, but it's just not viable on consoles yet.

#20 Posted by Zero5000X (8192 posts) -

@b4x said:

This is the main tipping point for digital games. Under NO circumstances should they cost the same as retail. They've bypassed any stores markup, and have even skipped packaging material and printing costs, as well as the shipping cost to get it to the store. It's criminal to charge the same for a game that did not have a retail fee in it.

And the idea of paying $50-60 for something you can't recoup the expense on for a future purchase is also absurd. I bought Injustice on PS4 at a sale price of $25, which to me is a fair online price (yeah I know the steam deals can beat that) and which is in a range where the need to resell is no longer a consideration.

You so realize the physical materials that come with a game, including shipping costs, amount to less than $1 per unit because it is done in such bulk, right?

#21 Posted by seanmcloughlin (38216 posts) -

@AdobeArtist said:

@b4x said:

You so realize the physical materials that come with a game, including shipping costs, amount to less than $1 per unit because it is done in such bulk, right?

There's far more than raw materials at work at retail. Shops need to hold stock, shelf space needs to be taken up, staff need to be paid. None of this stuff is present digitally so in no way ever should digital games cost the same or even close.

They're only that high because they know people will pay

#22 Posted by CrownKingArthur (4680 posts) -

@AdobeArtist said:

@b4x said:

how did you find that out?

#23 Posted by Zero5000X (8192 posts) -

@Zero5000X said:

@AdobeArtist said:

@b4x said:

There's far more than raw materials at work at retail. Shops need to hold stock, shelf space needs to be taken up, staff need to be paid. None of this stuff is present digitally so in no way ever should digital games cost the same or even close.

Nah. You're paying for the actual game itself. The case, manual, box art, shipping, storage, are all just the costs of doing business. It's like if you buy a car and they throw in an air freshener. They aren't charging you extra for the air freshener. If you say you don't want the air freshener they aren't going to give you some kind of discount for that reason. It's the same with games. You are paying $60 for the content, not the physical materials. If you buy digital you don't deserve a discount for that reason alone just like you don't deserve a discount for not accepting the air freshener.

#24 Posted by commonfate (12273 posts) -

@b4x said:

@Basinboy said:

Microsoft charges me sales tax on retail games purchases in the US. The only time I don't get charged sales tax is if I purchase an online gamer card from amazon or some other retailer.

This may have changed when they switched to currency instead of MS points? I haven't bought digital in a while. Unless it's a huge sale.

IIRC sales tax on digital goods is reflective of the state your billing address is located in.

#25 Edited by SolidTy (42822 posts) -

I don't support DD games on consoles, unless they are break neck prices which is almost never. I prefer physical for my collection as well, so when there is an option, I go physical. Physical games go on sale all the time, all year long at hundreds of various retailers so if I want something I will get it. If I love it, I'll gladly pay top dollar, but if it's more a novelty for my collection, I'll nab the physical copy on sale.

As far as DD only console titles, I will play those, but I get them on sale since they aren't refundable and I can't sell if if I don't like it. In fact, that's what I do with all steam/origin/GOG PC DD games too, I only buy them on sale.

#26 Edited by mbrockway (3462 posts) -

@bldgirsh said:

Somehow PC is gonna be brought up in this argument. One way or another.

Anyways, for consoles the prices need to be more competitive, that's basically the only real issue.

PC digital is the way to go. Prices are cheaper, sales are rampant, and hard drive space is plentiful. Steam is also great for seeing what your friends are playing.

Its also awesome for portables. My 3DS has a 32gb SD card and the convenience of having all my games on the go is just awesome. The price is usually the same as retail, but Nintendo games also seem to never go down in price either. I had to basically break my PSP to get the same functionality. My PSN+ collection is freaking huge right now, but the only full retail digital games (I do have indie titles though) I've bought for my PS3 were ME2 and ME3 for load time reasons. I've got a TV wherever the PS3 is so its not like I'm space deprived.

#27 Posted by CrownKingArthur (4680 posts) -

@seanmcloughlin said:
@Zero5000X said:

@AdobeArtist said:

@b4x said:

Nah. You're paying for the actual game itself. The case, manual, box art, shipping, storage, are all just the costs of doing business. It's like if you buy a car and they throw in an air freshener. They aren't charging you extra for the air freshener. If you say you don't want the air freshener they aren't going to give you some kind of discount for that reason. It's the same with games. You are paying $60 for the content, not the physical materials. If you buy digital you don't deserve a discount for that reason alone just like you don't deserve a discount for not accepting the air freshener.

weak analogy

case, manual, box art, shipping, storage = all part and parcel of a typical physical game.

air freshener = not a typical component of a car.

what is the equivalent of a digital car vs a physical car? there is no equivalent. weak analogy. go with a better model like books / eBooks, DVDs / streaming.

anyway man i can't wait to hear how they're able to manufacture, ship, and stock all these games around the globe for less than $1 each. Wow that's roughly 2% of the sell price.

I'm surprised freight companies are in business if they're taking a share of less than a dollar per video game. Game publishers must be incredibly hard bargainers.

anyway mate I just can't wait to see your evidence for this: "You so realize the physical materials that come with a game, including shipping costs, amount to less than $1 per unit because it is done in such bulk, right?"

i just can't wait. hurry up and post it. thinking about it's getting me wet.

#28 Edited by SolidTy (42822 posts) -

@Zero5000X said:

@seanmcloughlin said:
@Zero5000X said:

@AdobeArtist said:

@b4x said:

I have some input. When I worked retail, we got a bit over $12 a game for every new game we sold. I worked in a giant chain. That essentially at least $10 that DD games shouldn't have right off the bat. Then you consider that you can't sell the game/trade it, lend it. It goes downhill. Companies have to pay for shipping the game, box, manual, disc, etc. I know this first hand, I managed a dept and handled P&L.

#29 Posted by santoron (7717 posts) -

I still favor discs for consoles on most games, partly so I can lend to friends and partly because I just like seeing my games all lined up on a shelf. Cetain titles, like an MMO for example, I'd probably just grab the digital since I'd never lend it out for the convenience of always having it ready to play. Sales are also becoming better and more common on consoles, and if I feel the discount is worth the perks I'm losing by buying digital I'll snag it up no problem. That's how PC slowly converted me to buying almost all digital now.

The rental streaming stuff really isn't in the same category. It's competition isn't buying physical so much as renting physical, and what we're seeing so far is limited to legacy titles. A rather niche product.

#30 Posted by 360ru13r (207 posts) -

Question how many of you all own a PC and use Steam or Origin? If you said yes then why are you resisting the change over so hard. Granted I can understand the price concern, and wanting a physical copy but come on. If Steam can work for PCs, I can't see why all digital games won't work for console.

#31 Posted by CWEBB04z (4564 posts) -

@360ru13r said:

Question how many of you all own a PC and use Steam or Origin? If you said yes then why are you resisting the change over so hard. Granted I can understand the price concern, and wanting a physical copy but come on. If Steam can work for PCs, I can't see why all digital games won't work for console.

If it was up to me.. I would rather buy my PC games with the physical disk... but most of the games I own on PC are games I can't find in retail.

#32 Posted by commonfate (12273 posts) -

@360ru13r said:

Steam is simply one digital platform amongst many others, not to mention there is always competition for cd keys amongst dozens of sites that keep prices down. Under PSN or Xbox Live there is no such competition to keep prices in check, merely the good will of Sony and Microsoft (lol).

Not to mention the issue of backwards compatibility from gen to gen.

#33 Posted by psx_warrior (1523 posts) -

@360ru13r:

@360ru13r said:

The problem is what happens when you want to download a game off Xbox Marketplace, say, fifteen years from now or so on the 360. Will that game still be available? I guarantee you that you can't download any of the games available for the original Xbox at the time now, but You can download Morrowind still on the PC. In fact, you can still download and play games from the late '90s and play them using Dos Box if you want. My point is how long will Microsoft and Sony make those games available on now past gen systems for download? At least on PC you can find an older game somewhere.

#34 Edited by MirkoS77 (7336 posts) -

I suspect I'm different from most in my desire for physical. Price and convenience don't really matter. I just enjoy the physicality of things whether it be books, movies, or games. I love going to the store, getting it from behind the counter, driving home, unwrapping it, the smell and art on the disk and manual (if they even bother, some still do like CD Projekt Red). Yea, seems trivial and stupid to some I'm sure but it's always been part of the experience and fun of gaming for as long as I've been playing. I really miss the days of PC gaming when Ultimas came with cloth maps and such.

When a game I'm really looking forward to drops, I go out and get some major fast food, pick up the game, talk to the clerk about it and others if they're there as well. I like sharing in the excitement. It's the whole experience, and this is all absent with digital. Is it more convenient? I suppose. Is it cheaper? Sometimes. But either way, it lacks elements of foreplay, and that's something I value in any enjoyable activity. Tangibility is massive in my book, and the anticipation of gaming almost garners me as much pleasure as gaming itself. Because of this, I hope physical (and CEs) never disappear.

#35 Edited by Bigboi500 (29636 posts) -

I'm becoming accustomed to digital more and more every day. It's just so convenient to purchase things from the system and download it and have it instantly. No having to change discs, no scratches or misplacing them, no driving to the store etc.

#36 Posted by donalbane (16276 posts) -

You didn't mention the environmental benefit. Digital limits waste.

#37 Posted by APiranhaAteMyVa (2878 posts) -

The only thing stopping me from going 100% digital on consoles (I already am on PC) is price. Trading in would be a nice additional feature, but if the prices are right then that wouldn't be a deal breaker.

#38 Edited by B4X (4306 posts) -

@commonfate said:

@360ru13r said:

Steam is simply one digital platform amongst many others, not to mention there is always competition for cd keys amongst dozens of sites that keep prices down. Under PSN or Xbox Live there is no such competition to keep prices in check, merely the good will of Sony and Microsoft (lol).

Not to mention the issue of backwards compatibility from gen to gen.

I cannot believe I forgot that... That is one of my biggest negatives. Adding to op.

#39 Posted by shawn30 (4367 posts) -

@RR360DD said:

You do get pre-order incentives with some digital purchases.

I'd say the biggest downfall right now is price. They're just not competitive enough with retailers and physical copies on consoles.

Having your entire library digitally, and being able to take it wherever and load it on any Xbox was a really cool feature. That and being able to share digital games with family no matter where they are without the need to send a physical disc. Two features I wish MS would've kept on the XOne.

Plus MS had intentions of creating a digital marketplace where you could sell off your digital games. Pretty sure Valve have said the same thing too.

So theres definitely potential there

Agree completely. I want to go fully digital starting this fall, and only the lack of a digital discount and the inability to get credit when I no longer want the game keep me on the physical disc. If MS offered some sort of discount on the digital buy, and then some sort of digital trade in value I'd be all for it full. And to this day I feel if MS had simply offered their full Always Online strategy at the 2013 E3, but then said if you don't want to try it play games exactly the same way you always have ala trade in, gift to a friend, the massive roar of disapproval online wouldn't have happened at all. Choice was the killer.

#40 Posted by gago-gago (9448 posts) -

One benefit we buy digital for the Xbox One because we could play what was purchased on each of our consoles at the same time. We save money by game sharing Xbox One games digitally. I wish PS4 could do that.

#41 Posted by B4X (4306 posts) -

One benefit we buy digital for the Xbox One because we could play what was purchased on each of our consoles at the same time. We save money by game sharing Xbox One games digitally. I wish PS4 could do that.

I traded in my Xbox 360 at Best buy. I downloaded and transferred all my licenses to my sons Xbox 360. He can play all my games on his Gamer tag. I did not know this was even possible on the 360?

#42 Posted by scottpsfan14 (4758 posts) -

Biggest problem with it for me is the download time. I have shit internet, and some of these games are 40GB+. It takes me a few days to get a game. And I could literally get it on Ebay quicker and probably cheaper than PSN. And I have a game store not 2 miles away from my house.