Lessons you learned during 7th gen?

• 67 results
#1 Posted by drekula2 (1898 posts) -

I'm going to post mine, but definitely post yours.

1. Anything can happen. The PS3 went from horrible console to the best fun I've had all gen.

2. Don't wait too long to get a console. I waited till 09 to get a 360/PS3 (already had Wii). I was constantly playing a game of catch-up.

3. Any trailer that does not have uninterrupted gameplay footage is misleading.

4. Don't believe the hype. Zelda, GTA and Halo especially.

5. Don't focus so much on graphics. Gameplay and storytelling are more important because they age better.

6. With lots of review websites emerging over the past 7 years, GS's opinion isn't as important anymore.

#2 Edited by -CC- (1889 posts) -

7. Kinect killed the xbox brand

#3 Edited by lostrib (33450 posts) -

you're all obnoxious fanboys

#4 Posted by always_explicit (2666 posts) -

In the seventh gen I learned that Sony fans would NEVER EVER UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCE....pay for online.

In the 8th gen I learned otherwise.

#5 Posted by Maddie_Larkin (6278 posts) -

1 ) Stay as far away from "hype trains" as humanly possible, last gen I was told about so many games that was supposed to be on "a Whole new level of gaming" Can name two games that fits that, and only one of those are a game name that most people will know.

2 ) Never trust trailers. They never shows how gameplay looks ingame, and often not how it really plays, nomatter what its rabid fanbase claims.

3 ) The bigger budget the games got, the more uninspired and boring they became.

4 ) Reboots for IPS you loved when you were younger would most often be a cashgrap with Little or nothing in common. "reinventing" what people loved about the older games often proved a bad move (DmC, Syndicate, Dungeon Keeper) Sucesses did happen ofcourse, but rather far between.

5 ) You think you own the games you buy? Think Again. The time of ownership passed away.

6 ) Fanatical cultists clammered on to every console, which were so bad that the old Nintendo/Sega jabs seemed tame.

7 ) We saw the industry pleagued by (often due to to the fans and gamers themselves) Issues with race, sex and sexuality. Attacked time and time Again due to insecure fan hordes, WHO did not want to go out of thier comfort zones.

8 ) Games became a thing directed by focus Groups rather then developers.

#6 Posted by PrincessGomez92 (3390 posts) -

Motion controls are awesome and are the future.

#7 Edited by Floppy_Jim (25552 posts) -

I never learn my lesson.

#8 Edited by SolidGame_basic (16530 posts) -

@lostrib said:

you too

#9 Edited by freedomfreak (38806 posts) -
@lostrib said:

:(

#10 Edited by lostrib (33450 posts) -
#11 Posted by lostrib (33450 posts) -

@lostrib said:

you consistently have boobs in your sig so that makes it A-OK

#12 Edited by XboxDone74 (2047 posts) -

Learned from gen 7

1. Consoles always win when it comes to games, especially Playstation. (This has been known for generations but..just saying)

2. Ditch that relic called a desktop pc and go tablet pc.

3. Ditch pc gaming.

#13 Posted by lostrib (33450 posts) -

Learned from gen 7

1. Consoles always win when it comes to games, especially Playstation. (This has been known for generations but..just saying)

3. Ditch pc gaming.

You apparently didn't pay very close attention

#14 Edited by SolidGame_basic (16530 posts) -
#15 Edited by drekula2 (1898 posts) -

In the seventh gen I learned that Sony fans would NEVER EVER UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCE....pay for online.

In the 8th gen I learned otherwise.

well yeah, now that there's free game(s)** every month and all.

** = pluralization depends on whether we're talking about Microsoft or Sony.

#16 Posted by lostrib (33450 posts) -
#17 Edited by PrincessGomez92 (3390 posts) -

@lostrib said:

@freedomfreak said:
@lostrib said:

Typical male.

#18 Posted by Roler42 (547 posts) -

1.- Never get hyped again, keep interest if the title looks good but never get caught up in hype or you'll be set up for dissapointment

2.- Gaming companies can't be trusted

3.- Gaming websites can't be trusted

4.- Caveat Emptor and self-research for games will save you from getting burned

5.- Capcom will go out of business :)

6.- Always be a smart buyer

7.- NEVER PREORDER

8.- Kickstarter can't be trusted

#19 Edited by Gue1 (9439 posts) -

most jpn devs are a bigger scum than EA. Sega, Square, Konami and Capcom in particular. They do everything wrong and then want to blame it on the consumer.

#20 Edited by cainetao11 (16620 posts) -

1. I like video games.............still.

2. life is a subjective journey, never needing to be justified to another human being.

3. entertainment is subjective to individual tastes. Like what you like, for your own reasons.

4. No corporation cares about me. They use PR and ad campaigns to foster feelings from prospective consumers. If that consumer told them "I'm short on cash" the corporation wouldn't give them a break because they care.

#21 Posted by SolidGame_basic (16530 posts) -

I learned that most reviewers suck and that there's a low bar to becoming one. I trust my gut feeling now.

#22 Posted by gameofthering (10097 posts) -

Not to buy an Xbox. Went from PC/DC/PS2/GC(Skipped Xbox) and went PC/360/Wii.

I just got so tired of all the problems with Microsofts console.

#23 Posted by stizzal13 (596 posts) -

@drekula2 said:

I'm going to post mine, but definitely post yours.

1. Anything can happen. The PS3 went from horrible console to the best fun I've had all gen.

2. Don't wait too long to get a console. I waited till 09 to get a 360/PS3 (already had Wii). I was constantly playing a game of catch-up.

3. Any trailer that does not have uninterrupted gameplay footage is misleading.

4. Don't believe the hype. Zelda, GTA and Halo especially.

5. Don't focus so much on graphics. Gameplay and storytelling are more important because they age better.

6. With lots of review websites emerging over the past 7 years, GS's opinion isn't as important anymore.

1. It will be interesting to see how the X1 does over the next decade (or how ever long the cycle is).

2. Playing catch-up is the best way to game (i.e. lower prices and your purchase decisions are less affected by hype).

3. YES!

4. No sure about this one...

5. Depends on the game

6. Their opinion is and will always be as valuable as you want it to be (no matter how many review sites are out there).

#24 Edited by freedomfreak (38806 posts) -
@lostrib said:

#25 Posted by sibu_xgamer (319 posts) -

Never to support Microsoft.

#26 Edited by drekula2 (1898 posts) -

1 ) Stay as far away from "hype trains" as humanly possible, last gen I was told about so many games that was supposed to be on "a Whole new level of gaming" Can name two games that fits that, and only one of those are a game name that most people will know.

yes

2) Never trust trailers. They never shows how gameplay looks ingame, and often not how it really plays, nomatter what its rabid fanbase claims.

yes

3 ) The bigger budget the games got, the more uninspired and boring they became.

true about 60% of the time

4 ) Reboots for IPS you loved when you were younger would most often be a cashgrap with Little or nothing in common. "reinventing" what people loved about the older games often proved a bad move (DmC, Syndicate, Dungeon Keeper) Sucesses did happen ofcourse, but rather far between.

yes. they know the next Hitman isn't going to sell 5-10 million so why bother making it great

5 ) You think you own the games you buy? Think Again. The time of ownership passed away.

not sure what youre referring to

6 ) Fanatical cultists clammered on to every console, which were so bad that the old Nintendo/Sega jabs seemed tame.

not really. internet just makes idiocy more aparrent.

7 ) We saw the industry pleagued by (often due to to the fans and gamers themselves) Issues with race, sex and sexuality. Attacked time and time Again due to insecure fan hordes, WHO did not want to go out of thier comfort zones.

yeah, the "keep your feminism out of my video games" crowd is going to look stupid a few a years from now

#27 Posted by ReadingRainbow4 (13133 posts) -

From Software is a beast.

#28 Posted by drekula2 (1898 posts) -

That's a good point. Well, if you're 1 or 2 years behind, that's a good thing though. The problem was that I was like really really behind.

I got a Wii in 2007 and up until late 2009, all I played were Wii games. So I had to cram all the 07-08-09 releases into my schedule once I got my Xbox 360, on top of the stellar releases of 2010 and 2011. In 2013, I got my PS3 and I'm still catching up.

This gen, I'm still going to hold off PS4, but not for too long.

#29 Posted by OhSnapitz (18032 posts) -
  1. Fanboys will be fanboys. (Sheep, Cows, Lemmings, Hermits)
  2. Gaming Websites/"journalists" have no integrity Gerstmann-gate!
  3. I'm going to have to bite the bullet and upgrade my PC. (puts on pirate hat lol)
#30 Posted by lostrib (33450 posts) -

@drekula2 said:

That's a good point. Well, if you're 1 or 2 years behind, that's a good thing though. The problem was that I was like really really behind.

I got a Wii in 2007 and up until late 2009, all I played were Wii games. So I had to cram all the 07-08-09 releases into my schedule once I got my Xbox 360, on top of the stellar releases of 2010 and 2011. In 2013, I got my PS3 and I'm still catching up.

That's pretty much where I am

#31 Posted by silversix_ (13924 posts) -

-1 Nintendo went full r*tard

2- MS are more into casuals than anything else

#32 Posted by IgGy621985 (4606 posts) -

Don't buy console at launch.

Didn't.

#33 Posted by Boddicker (2438 posts) -

I'm starting to hate 95% of video games.

#34 Posted by donalbane (16182 posts) -
  1. Shooters are just as viable to play with controllers as they are with keyboard and mouse.
  2. If a game is available on PC and consoles, get the PC version every time.
  3. Don't trade in games, and buy digitally whenever possible.
  4. Playing older PC games in 3D can be amazing, but for more recent games it's almost never worth the halved frame rate.
  5. Call of Duty and other war themed FPS games are stale and not worth buying, and you can't count on a decent single player campaign.
#35 Edited by drekula2 (1898 posts) -

@lostrib said:

@drekula2 said:

#36 Edited by happyduds77 (1443 posts) -

1, Nothing can get better than PC gaming

2, Corporations are shameless, money hungry

3, Don't buy consoles at launch

4, Don't believe the hype

5, Lower your expectations

6, Stay the hell away from game reviews. IGN, GameSpot...ETC

7, People are such jerks in competitive mutliplayer games/modes

8, Graphics don't really mean much

9, Don't trust anybody

10, Naughty Dog are such an awesome studio

#37 Posted by lostrib (33450 posts) -

@drekula2 said:

@lostrib said:

@drekula2 said:

Already beat it

#38 Edited by wis3boi (31019 posts) -

I learned that console manufacturers are no longer making consoles, they are making shitty pcs. So I went PC only. I also put on my waiting game and buy almost every game on sale later on. I've heavily cut back on my total spending and heavily increased my library of games to the point I have a massive backlog

#39 Edited by lostrib (33450 posts) -

@wis3boi said:

I learned that console manufacturers are no longer making consoles, they are making shitty pcs. So I went PC only. I also put on my waiting game and buy almost every game on sale later on. I've heavily cut back on my total spending and heavily increased my library of games to the point I have a massive backlog

Master Race Problems

#40 Edited by drekula2 (1898 posts) -

1, Nothing can get better than PC gaming

2, Corporations are shameless, money hungry

3, Don't buy consoles at launch

4, Don't believe the hype

5, Lower your expectations

6, Stay the hell away from game reviews. IGN, GameSpot...ETC

7, People are such jerks in competitive mutliplayer games/modes

8, Graphics don't really mean much

9, Don't trust anybody

10, Naughty Dog are such an awesome studio

1. except for taco bell, booze, cigarettes, and sex.

2. so are we

3. agree

4. agree

5. agree

6. moderation

7. agree

8. kinda agree

9. agree

10. agree

#41 Posted by LadyBlue (3927 posts) -

Cheat codes are a thing of the past.

#42 Posted by speedfreak48t5p (6663 posts) -

Learned from gen 7

3. Ditch pc gaming.

You continue to disappoint me Caesar.

#43 Edited by happyduds77 (1443 posts) -

@ladyblue said:

So are local multiplayer games. It's pretty sad.

#44 Posted by LadyBlue (3927 posts) -

@ladyblue said:

So are local multiplayer games. It's pretty sad.

Those dropped too. :(

#45 Posted by T3H_1337_N1NJ4 (2077 posts) -

The one true lesson of this gen for me:

All games are sexist. All games are heteronormative. If you disagree, you're a sexist heteronormative pig.

#46 Posted by Animal-Mother (26420 posts) -

That i'm a huge jerk and whenever I state my opinion people call me an idiotic jerk which in turns make everyone here a jerk.

#47 Posted by LadyBlue (3927 posts) -

That i'm a huge jerk and whenever I state my opinion people call me an idiotic jerk which in turns make everyone here a jerk.

hahaha true

#48 Edited by Heil68 (43273 posts) -

That when you drop core like MS did in 2009 to chase the Wii's pot of gold with Kinect(lol) gamers will revolt.

#49 Edited by happyduds77 (1443 posts) -

And one other thing. Most game protagonists are middle aged brown haired white dudes.

#50 Posted by VERTIGO47 (6243 posts) -
  1. I still enjoy video games
  2. Don't believe the hype
  3. $399 is the max I'd pay for a console
  4. Never buy games on impulse that would lead to backlogs
  5. Never buy new games at premium prices
  6. Try to limit clutter by purchasing Digital copies
  7. Multiplayer is overrated and boring
  8. Paying a subscription to play MP is STILL and WILL always be a ripoff
  9. Nintendo is a backwards, regressive thinking company
  10. Nintendo consoles are NEVER worth it