Layoffs hit Rare following Kinect Sports Rivals flop

#1 Edited by misterpmedia (3362 posts) -

Sky is falling at MS.

Multiple, separate sources indicated to Eurogamer that the studio, which has focused on the Kinect Sports series in recent years, had recently suffered layoffs.

A Microsoft spokesperson issued Eurogamer the following statement this afternoon:

"At Xbox, our goal is to constantly create new fun, social and interactive entertainment experiences. As part of Rare's commitment to this goal, we have made a decision to change our development process and methodology at Rare to best support our future projects, this has led to us reviewing the skills and the makeup of our development teams in our business.

"Rare continues to invest in our people and future projects."

While Microsoft did not confirm how many people had been let go, Eurogamer understands the number is around 16, a figure one source said was made up of some software staff, but mainly design and project managers. Kinect Sports Rivals was a 150 person project.

Microsoft also declined to explain why the changes were made, but the sales performance of the recently-released Kinect Sports Rivals may have played a part. It had been intended as an Xbox One launch title, but was delayed to April. When it did release, it entered the UK all-formats chart in 14th place. One source indicated to Eurogamer Rare suffered a significant loss on the project.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/20...ts-rivals-flop

@FreedomFreeLife Obligatory user tag.

Discuss. Xbone, better with kinect?

UPDATE:

Sources close to the Microsoft-owned studio indicated that just under 20 employees are set to depart, including veteran programmer Chris Sutherland, who has worked on Rare games for more than 20-years.

During his distinguished career Sutherland acted as lead programmer on Battletoads, as well as all three Donkey Kong Country and Banjo-Kazooie games. He's also known as the 'voice' of the latter's bear and bird protagonists.

CVG sources indicate that designer Gavin Price will also leave Rare, after a 15-year career which saw him work on Viva Pinata, Grabbed by the Ghoulies, Banjo-Kazooie: Nuts & Bolts and a number of unannounced, cancelled projects.

http://www.computerandvideogames.com...dology-change/

#2 Edited by Heil68 (42663 posts) -

bu bu bu MS must be in dire circumstances, right @shawn30, with all these people leaving MS studios.

#3 Posted by Animal-Mother (26205 posts) -

I'm willing to bet the recent Phil Spencer statement is PR BS. I mean why on god's green earth would rare make kinect titles?

Rare is dead and I doubt they can make a decent game ever again.

#4 Posted by finalstar2007 (24873 posts) -

but MS only hires people!

Hope those affected find another job quickly

#5 Edited by misterpmedia (3362 posts) -

I'm willing to bet the recent Phil Spencer statement is PR BS. I mean why on god's green earth would rare make kinect titles?

Or so Phil has gone on record saying(before the piece recently about Rare mulling over ideas)that Rare has had no restrictions on which direction they take on game making and therefore have been content in being a solely Kinect game making studio. Rare be dead, son.

#6 Posted by Animal-Mother (26205 posts) -

@Animal-Mother said:

Or so Phil has gone on record saying(before the piece recently about Rare mulling over ideas)that Rare has had no restrictions on which direction they take on game making and therefore have been content in being a solely Kinect game making studio. Rare be dead, son.

Rare totally fell on their swords.

I dunno do you think rare had restrictions or did they really just wanna screw themselves up THIS badly?

#7 Edited by Suppaman100 (3590 posts) -

Damn MS, destroying a once great developer.

Inb4 lemmings trying to spin/defend this

#8 Posted by JangoWuzHere (15928 posts) -

Were they somehow expecting not to be laid off by pushing out another bland and generic mini game collection?

#9 Posted by shawn30 (4291 posts) -

@Heil68 said:

bu bu bu MS must be in dire circumstances, right @shawn30, with all these people leaving MS studios.

MS is dire straights does not exist, lol. The difference in reference to the PS4 deb layoffs came from devs with successful games, and taking into account Sony's sad financial state. This sucks for those who lost their job at Rare, but the reality is the game flopped, hence the layoffs. Never anything funny about layoffs no matter where it comes from, but maybe the silver lining for gamers is Rare returning to core projects.

#10 Edited by B4X (2629 posts) -

From my understanding, the layoffs were lead designers and Kinect engineers. Not just filler staff for the final push.

Here's to hoping Microsoft floods Rare with new talent and goes back to core. Those IP's sitting there rotting is disgusting.

Are those dumb basterds at Microsoft finally getting it? We don't want Kinect shovel Rare ware.

#11 Posted by freedomfreak (38221 posts) -

Yup. This happens.

I hope they'll find a job quick enough.

#12 Edited by FastRobby (783 posts) -

The difference here is that Kinect Sport Rivals wasn't a great game, so it's normal you fire people over it. The people being fired from the Sony studios created great games, which means Sony doesn't have the money to keep them on the team.

#13 Posted by misterpmedia (3362 posts) -

too late

#14 Edited by Heil68 (42663 posts) -

@shawn30 said:

@Heil68 said:

MS is dire straights does not exist, lol. The difference in reference to the PS4 deb layoffs came from devs with successful games, and taking into account Sony's sad financial state. This sucks for those who lost their job at Rare, but the reality is the game flopped, hence the layoffs. Never anything funny about layoffs no matter where it comes from, but maybe the silver lining for gamers is Rare returning to core projects.

My only point is people move, get fired, get hired, leave, move to another dev all the time. Even with the most successful games, there is usually layoffs afterwords, since you dont need a full studio after a game is made.

Just another instance of it means dooms and gloom for Sony and bu bu bu it's normal for MS. :D

and LOL at Rare EVER returning to it's former glory.

#15 Edited by kingtito (4732 posts) -

@shawn30 said:

@Heil68 said:

You're asking way to much of cows to discern the difference between the 2 layoffs.

#16 Edited by Animal-Mother (26205 posts) -

@Heil68 said:

@shawn30 said:

@Heil68 said:

My only point is people move, get fired, get hired, leave, move to another dev all the time. Even with the most successful games, there is usually layoffs afterwords, since you dont need a full studio after a game is made.

Just another instance of it means dooms and gloom for Sony and bu bu bu it's normal for MS. :D

#17 Posted by Heil68 (42663 posts) -

@kingtito said:

@shawn30 said:

@Heil68 said:

You're asking way to much of cows to discern the difference between the 2 layoffs.

Yeah, 4 people have left 343 industries, including creative director, art director and interesting enough the lady who made the lighting engine for Halo 4 left for Naughty Dog, guess 343 is in dire needs. Point taken.

Halo 5 pre order -CANCELED.

#18 Edited by B4X (2629 posts) -

@misterpmedia said:

@Suppaman100 said:

too late

That's no shit. Reviving Rare's talent level and utilizing those great IP's. Would that be to smart of a thing for Microsoft to accomplish.

If I ran Microsoft gaming division. I would flood Rare with new talent and start production on all their classic IPs.

I hope Phil realizes this.

#19 Posted by misterpmedia (3362 posts) -

This makes me highly concerned for all of MS first party studio output. Expecting this studio to close before the year is out.

The difference here is that Kinect Sport Rivals wasn't a great game, so it's normal you fire people over it. The people being fired from the Sony studios created great games, which means Sony doesn't have the money to keep them on the team.

lmfao. Please tell us all more about how you know this is true, for a stone cold indisputable fact. The article and PR from said people who have left saying that they were let go because Sony gave the reason that they couldn't afford them. I'll strike this out so you don't cheat because all the studios that let people go are still hiring fancy that aye? top fucking lemmy kek!

#20 Posted by shawn30 (4291 posts) -

@kingtito said:

@shawn30 said:

@Heil68 said:

Yeah. If I worked for a dev, and our recent games reviewed and sold well, and my dev has a number of firings and resignations, and the parent company is doing extremely bad financially, that means there may be (not for certain) may be tied into more than just people changing jobs, taking a break or retiring. Especially when a number of them happen within weeks of each other, all from exclusive devs to the parent company going broke. Doesn't mean all of them are connected. But to think some aren't is naive IMHO.

When a dev has a game flop, in this day and age, that dev will see layoffs. Nature of gaming in 2014.

#21 Edited by PurpleMan5000 (6595 posts) -

Microsoft should just sell Rare back to Nintendo. The IPs are worth enough for Microsoft to go and actually get a studio with talent. A game like Kameo would actually sell to the Nintendo crowd.

#22 Posted by misterpmedia (3362 posts) -

@Heil68 said:

@shawn30 said:

@Heil68 said:

Surprisingly sick ownage there from Heil. *tips stetson.

#23 Posted by Heil68 (42663 posts) -

@shawn30 said:

@kingtito said:

@shawn30 said:

@Heil68 said:

Yeah. If I worked for a dev, and our recent games reviewed and sold well, and my dev has a number of firings and resignations, and the parent company is doing extremely bad financially, that means there may be (not for certain) may be tied into more than just people changing jobs, taking a break or retiring. Especially when a number of them happen within weeks of each other, all from exclusive devs to the parent company going broke. Doesn't mean all of them are connected. But to think some aren't is naive IMHO.

When a dev has a game flop, in this day and age, that dev will see layoffs. Nature of gaming in 2014.

Halo 4 sold how many copies? All those people left 343. I'm concerned for MS and most definitely 343.

Halo 5 pre order CANCELED,.....CONFIRMED.

#24 Edited by Animal-Mother (26205 posts) -

@shawn30 said:

@kingtito said:

@shawn30 said:

@Heil68 said:

Because you have proof these people were laid off because of sonys financials. Please link me to the article or source that says that.

#25 Posted by shawn30 (4291 posts) -

Microsoft should just sell Rare back to Nintendo. The IPs are worth enough for Microsoft to go and actually get a studio with talent. A game like Kameo would actually sell to the Nintendo crowd.

Rare has a number of IP's that would sell well on Xbox One. They need to get back to their core games, which, sad as these layoffs are, I get the feeling is about to happen. Kameo, Perfect Dark, Conker, Battletoads, all of them could be updated. We shall see.

#26 Edited by B4X (2629 posts) -

@PurpleMan5000 said:

They would never get the return on their investment "9 Billion". They need to flood rare with new talent. Make core games.

#27 Edited by shawn30 (4291 posts) -

@Heil68 said:

@shawn30 said:

@kingtito said:

@shawn30 said:

@Heil68 said:

Halo 4 sold how many copies? All those people left 343. I'm concerned for MS and most definitely 343.

Halo 4 sold 8.9 million in 2012. Its 2014 and they have been working on Halo 5 for years. I never said, lol, people don't leave for good or smart reasons. But we will continue to disagree that the mass amount of people that have left Sony in the last 5 months has zero to do with the parent companies issues to some degree. If you need your head in the sand, have at it, lol. But there were to many layoffd, from to many devs, in a short period of time to not be more than just normal reasons for a number of them.

#28 Posted by Animal-Mother (26205 posts) -

@shawn30 said:

@Heil68 said:

@shawn30 said:

@kingtito said:

@shawn30 said:

@Heil68 said:

Halo 4 sold 8.9 million in 2012. Its 2014 and they have been working on Halo 5 for years. I never said, lol, people don't leave for good or smart reasons. But we will continue to disagree that the mass amount of people that have left Sony in the last 5 months has zero to do with the parent companies issues to some degree. If you need your head in the sand, have at it, lol. But there were to many layoffd, from to many devs, in a short period of time to not be more than just normal reasons for a number of them.

Can you please provide proof that these issues were because of the parent company?

#29 Edited by Heil68 (42663 posts) -

@shawn30:

So my original assessment was correct. (like always :D)

Doom and gloom for SONY.

Perfectly normal for MS.

#30 Posted by shawn30 (4291 posts) -

@shawn30 said:

@kingtito said:

@shawn30 said:

@Heil68 said:

Because you have proof these people were laid off because of sonys financials. Please link me to the article or source that says that.

I never made a blank statement that the layoffs were because of that. I am making a case that maybe the amount, coming from all exclusive devs within Sony, and the amount that happened within a few months, to me points to more than just the normal reasons for leaving a job. I never said they were all due to Sony's financial shape. Could never say that about any company, anywhere. But at one point we were getting people leaving devs almost ever other day and that is a bit of a red flag. Hey, we can agree to disagree and that's cool. The Rare layoffs are all due to KSR flopping hard and costing a shiton to develop for. All came in one day, followed by an official statement from the company.

#31 Posted by LadyBlue (3659 posts) -

I wish them the best.

#32 Edited by shawn30 (4291 posts) -

@Heil68 said:

@shawn30:

So my original assessment was correct. (like always :D)

Doom and gloom for SONY.

Perfectly normal for MS.

Well...:)

In 2013 Microsoft as a company made

$21.86 billion profit - MS has posted profit for well over ten years straight.

In 2013 Sony as a company loss $1.25 billion

In 2012 Sony loss $820 million - http://www.joystiq.com/2012/05/10/sonys-fiscal-2012-results-820-million-loss-due-to-floods-ear/

In 2011 Sony posted a record loss

$5.73 billion - http://www.engadget.com/2012/05/10/sony-fy-2011-results/

In 2010 Sony loss $1.03 billion - http://www.nytimes.com/2009/05/15/business/global/15sony.html

In 2009 Sony loss $439 million - http://www.techspot.com/news/38948-sony-posts-439-million-annual-loss-has-high-hopes-for-2010.html

But take heart my friend:

PS4 7+ million

Xbox One 4+ million

You're welcome:)

#33 Edited by Heil68 (42663 posts) -

@shawn30:

Now post how much of that profit/loss was for MS gaming division and not anything to do with Windows/Office software. :)

#34 Edited by Animal-Mother (26205 posts) -

@shawn30 said:

@Animal-Mother said:

@shawn30 said:

@kingtito said:

@shawn30 said:

@Heil68 said:

I never made a blank statement that the layoffs were because of that. I am making a case that maybe the amount, coming from all exclusive devs within Sony, and the amount that happened within a few months, to me points to more than just the normal reasons for leaving a job. I never said they were all due to Sony's financial shape. Could never say that about any company, anywhere. But at one point we were getting people leaving devs almost ever other day and that is a bit of a red flag. Hey, we can agree to disagree and that's cool. The Rare layoffs are all due to KSR flopping hard and costing a shiton to develop for. All came in one day, followed by an official statement from the company.

You still need proof to make accusations and claim certain things.

Assuming makes you look like an ass. Also people from 3 devs.

Seth Killian who was at sony for a year left on great terms to do his own thing https://twitter.com/sethkillian/status/448534312900513792

Drive Club Director Col Rodgers left because of his son- http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=106121033&postcount=1393

And pretty much the rest was big name Amy Henning and some other art and miscellaneous people from ND

It was what around 10-15 people in a sea of hundreds that work in the gaming industry?

#35 Posted by misterpmedia (3362 posts) -

@Heil68 said:

@shawn30:

Now post how much of that profit/loss was for MS gaming division and not anything to do with Windows/Office software. :)

lol shh, you'll spoil their company wars whining :P

#36 Posted by FastRobby (783 posts) -

@FastRobby said:

lmfao. Please tell us all more about how you know this is true, for a stone cold indisputable fact. The article and PR from said people who have left saying that they were let go because Sony gave the reason that they couldn't afford them. I'll strike this out so you don't cheat because all the studios that let people go are still hiring fancy that aye? top fucking lemmy kek!

It's pretty simple. Sonly losing money, Sony needs more money, Sony needs to slow down the burning of money, Sony fires people to still create products but at the same time with fewer people, Sony loses less money. Don't need statements for that...

#37 Edited by shawn30 (4291 posts) -

@Heil68 said:

@shawn30:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/erikkain/2014/04/25/xbox-division-up-45-microsoft-reports/

For instance, Microsoft's MSFT -0.64% Q3 earnings show that revenue for the Xbox platform is up 45% over 2013, with a 17% increase in Xbox Live transactions. You can paint this as good news for Microsoft and its Xbox division.

Xbox1

Or you could point out that gross margin is down by 34% due to the launch of the Xbox One and the slim profit margin attached to new console sales.

That's all that was released. Care to post Sony's :)

#38 Edited by Heil68 (42663 posts) -

@Heil68 said:

@shawn30:

Yup.

The fact is the gaming division hasn't made a profit yet.

"On the consumer side of things, Microsoft continues to weaken. While the Xbox One and Xbox 360 sold 3.9 million and 3.5 million units respectively, gross margins for the Devices & Consumer Hardware division were down 46% to $0.4 billion. On the consumer side of things, Microsoft might eventually make some good money"

Microsoft's Xbox division has lost nearly $3 billion in 10 years

Microsoft: Xbox’s $1B-Plus Loss Makes it a Sale Candidate, Says Nomura

So I guess that's great according to Shawn. *shrug*

#39 Posted by Heil68 (42663 posts) -

@shawn30 said:

@Heil68 said:

@shawn30:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/erikkain/2014/04/25/xbox-division-up-45-microsoft-reports/

For instance, Microsoft's MSFT -0.64% Q3 earnings show that revenue for the Xbox platform is up 45% over 2013, with a 17% increase in Xbox Live transactions. You can paint this as good news for Microsoft and its Xbox division.

Or you could point out that gross margin is down by 34% due to the launch of the Xbox One and the slim profit margin attached to new console sales.

That's all that was released. Care to post Sony's :)

First off where is that $21.86 billion profit you speak of when bring it up in SW's?

#40 Posted by shawn30 (4291 posts) -

@Heil68 said:

@misterpmedia said:

@Heil68 said:

@shawn30:

Yup.

"On the consumer side of things, Microsoft continues to weaken. While the Xbox One and Xbox 360 sold 3.9 million and 3.5 million units respectively, gross margins for the Devices & Consumer Hardware division were down 46% to $0.4 billion. On the consumer side of things, Microsoft might eventually make some good money"

Xbox gaming division has been operating in the black for the last 5 years, and is steadily paying off RROD. Sony lost every single dollar the PS1 and PS2 made and are far behind MS in debt. You have no leg to stand on here, lol. Come on, man :)

#41 Edited by misterpmedia (3362 posts) -

@FastRobby said:

@misterpmedia said:
@FastRobby said:

It's pretty simple. Sonly losing money, Sony needs more money, Sony needs to slow down the burning of money, Sony fires people to still create products but at the same time with fewer people, Sony loses less money. Don't need statements for that...

right there is where I know you clearly don't know lol. Why would the studios be hiring then? If MS is so rich why are they laying off people at Rare? Surely they can afford every one of their employees for many many years to come no matter how bad their games are? Hmm?

Tales from your ass logic will always be flawed.

#42 Posted by Heil68 (42663 posts) -

@shawn30 said:

@Heil68 said:

@misterpmedia said:

@Heil68 said:

@shawn30:

Yup.

Xbox gaming division has been operating in the black for the last 5 years, and is steadily paying off RROD. Sony lost every single dollar the PS1 and PS2 made and are far behind MS in debt. You have no leg to stand on here, lol. Come on, man :)

Sure I do :D You bring up the $21.86 billion profit, so lets see how much of that was caused by 360/Xbone sales. IF MS was so strong with their Xbone, why did they just drop Kinect(lol) for a $399 price point? lol

#43 Posted by shawn30 (4291 posts) -

@Heil68 said:

@shawn30 said:

@Heil68 said:

@misterpmedia said:

@Heil68 said:

@shawn30:

Yup.

Sure I do :D You bring up the $21.86 billion profit, so lets see how much of that was caused by 360/Xbone sales. IF MS was so strong with their Xbone, why did they just drop Kinect(lol) for a $399 price point? lol

The 21.86 billion was in reference to your Sony and MS claim. You never specified gaming divisions, lol. As for profit, just posted that as well. As for the price drop, Xbox One is struggling in sales in comparison to PS4, despite selling very well in its own right. MS never provided a reason why you need Kinect, and its added cost was dragging down sales. So now by getting it out the box they can sell to gamers based on their games, exclusive apps, exclusive TV shows. Removing Kinect allows then to reach price parity with the PS4 without losing money by lowering the price and keeping the device still inside. It was a smart move:) But sales wise MS sees the writing on the wall early on this gen and is making moves to battle back. Its what you do when things arent going so well. Unlike Sony as a company who have only in the last 2 years begun trying to offset bankruptcy. Sometimes you just have to change course, set a new focus, and go after the damn thing. MS has a uphill battle ahead, no doubt. But desperate MS is best MS.

#44 Posted by GrenadeLauncher (3199 posts) -

Thank you based Phil Spencer

All about the games

Heartbreaking about Sutherland though, DKC2 and 3 were two of my favourite games as a child. :(

#45 Edited by GrenadeLauncher (3199 posts) -

@shawn30 said:

Last I checked the Game division had just a little profit left over the PS1 and PS2 overall after the PS3 debacle. Xbox is still billions behind, and will be for some time.

Considering we never get specific Xbox numbers those percentages are meaningless. Could be 45% of $5.

#46 Edited by shawn30 (4291 posts) -

@shawn30 said:

Last I checked the Game division had just a little profit left over the PS1 and PS2 overall after the PS3 debacle. Xbox is still billions behind, and will be for some time.

R&D for both companies, no doubt. MS has made a profit for 5 years running, but from the original Xbox to RROD its been a uphill climb that will continue.

#47 Edited by misterpmedia (3362 posts) -

Topic updated people. Looks like a lot of heavy hitters are leaving the flop factory. The sky is genuinely falling on MS & Rare right now. Sad times.

#48 Edited by nyzma23 (887 posts) -

@GrenadeLauncher said:

@shawn30 said:

profit for 1 year doesn't cover their loss for 8 year with ps3

#49 Posted by darkangel115 (1403 posts) -

can't say i didn't expect it. its been a while since rare made a good game. Hopefully they can make a reboot of PD

#50 Edited by Senor_Kami (8258 posts) -

Rare made a bunch of good games in the N64 era. MS gave them autonomy to make what they wanted and all they did was put out Grabbed by the Ghoulies, remade Conker into a more neutered than even Nintendo demanded, and then tried their damndest to ruin Perfect Dark and Banjo. Viva Pinata was their one shining light and they didn't have their first N64-level hit until MS told them screw whatever you want to do, you're making Kinect games. Now they can't even get that right.

I'm not happy to see people fired but these folk kinda sucked at making video games. They should not be making video games. It's not something they're good at doing.