Lawdy. New info about PS4 controller. Break-Apart, No thumnstics, Built in move

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by StrongDeadlift (5181 posts) -

http://www.vgrevolution.com/2013/02/rumored-playstation-4-controller-information-with-images-and-details/

The controller will break apart, have built in move, and will have no thumbsticks, but a PSVita esque touchpad.  It is going to be marketed as the "SplitShock".

Renders:

2ze9mdi.jpg.gif

We just received a tip from a person within the advertising and brand marketing industry, with some BIG information about what might be a brand new controller...

We just received a tip from a person within the advertising and brand marketing industry, with some BIG information about what might be a brand new controller for the Playstation 4. The information allegedly comes from advertising agency Bartle, Bogle, Hegarty New York who recently acquired the SCEA account. The controller renders and description also lines up with recent patent information for a new controller.

The controller is being called SplitShock. It incorporates PS Move technology and PS Vita touch technology into the PS4 controller. The biggest change is the removal of the thumbsticks we have been so accustomed to over the years. Gamers will instead use a Vita like touchpad to control their games. The new controller is also rumored to have 4gb of built-in memory allowing the controller to double as a memory unit as well.

If this is truly the design route Sony is taking this could be BIG in changing the way we play games or it might be a BIG disaster moving away from tried and true controller design. My feeling is this might be the new PS Move controller doing away with the wand and nun-chuck, we highly doubt thumbsticks will be going away as touchpad technology just doesnt offer the control you need in FPS games. This can also be total BS. Leave us some thoughts below, do you think this is the new PS Move controller or is Sony going to kill thumbsticks?? Either way we are waiting for comment from SCEA, until then check out the controller renders and the advertising information we were provided.

The following info is what Sony is passing down so they can work on their PS4 advertising campaign. The attached images are from early renders but have been assured its the final design of what the PS4 controller is going to be. The text Ive copied below is the basis of what they are using to generate the print and social media areas for the campaign, Enjoy

Welcome to the Sony Computer Entertainment America LLC family. The following information is for your employees to initiate your print and web advertising campaign.

With the upcoming release of the PlayStation 4 console, we have redesigned the DualShock 3 controller to remain on the forefront of innovation. With this in mind we have created the SplitShock controller. There are three major changes from the DualShock 3 controller that will give our consumers an edge over our competition.

The first and most immediate change when a consumer looks at the SplitShock is the removal of the analogue sticks and the inclusion of touchpads in their place. The touchpads serve the same function as the analogue sticks.

When a consumer is not playing a game, the SplitShock touchpads function as a track pad with both halves making a larger area to swipe and select items. The touchpads are also fully programmable by developers. This gives them the freedom to use the touchpads as they see fit. For example, if the game doesnt require analogue controls, the touchpads can be used as an alternate input device. This allows games ported from IOS or Android the ability to retain their original control scheme.

Because of the need to have a comfortable experience when using the track pad function or a dual touchpad controls, the width of the SplitShock is one inch wider when compared to the DualShock 3.

The second innovation on the SplitShock is the SHARE button. The SplitShock contains an internal 4 GB memory chip. This allows consumers to store any pictures, music, or movies on their SplitShock controller. It will also synch with their PSN account and stay updated with their profile.

When a consumer presses the SHARE button, any files on the SplitShock can be used on another PlayStation 4. If they are a PlayStation Plus subscriber, they can also share full games that are registered to their PSN account. The limit to this is that the files can only be shared within 15 meters of a Playstation 4 console.

For the time being, this function is only enabled between a SplitShock controller and aPlayStation 4 console. In the future this function will be enabled across all of Sonys product line.

The final innovation is how we came up with the SplitShock name. Because of the improvements made to the Sony Duel Eye, the PlayStation Move sensors have reduced in size and have been integrated into the SplitShock controller.

With a press of a button, the SplitShock separates into two halves. This opens up yet another way for developers to customize whatever control system they desire. While the SplitShock is in split mode users can experience a full motion control setup that consumers have become accustomed to with the Move and Navigation controller combination. Another benefit is that since both halves of the SplitShock are Mirrored, even left handed players will have no issues.

With these innovations for the SplitShock controller, we are giving our loyal consumers a chance to interact with the PlayStation brand in ways they have never imagined before.

SplitShock08.jpg?zoom=2&resize=411%2C273

SplitShock07.jpg?zoom=2&resize=194%2C156

SplitShock04.jpg?zoom=2&resize=194%2C113

SplitShock03.jpg?zoom=2&resize=302%2C177

SplitShock01.jpg?zoom=2&resize=302%2C177

2ze9mdi.jpg.gif

Inb4 cows suspiciously dont have a problem with motion controls anymore :|

#2 Posted by themajormayor (25918 posts) -
I don't have a problem with motion controls anymore
#3 Posted by ReadingRainbow4 (14695 posts) -

credible source?

well damn I expected too much.

#4 Posted by mems_1224 (47452 posts) -
I don't have a problem with motion controls anymorethemajormayor
:lol:
#5 Posted by musicalmac (23147 posts) -
I can't express how happy this would make me.
#6 Posted by hummer700 (10211 posts) -
I call BS mostly because I hope this isn't real.
#7 Posted by Riverwolf007 (23914 posts) -

man, i wish the official reveals  would finally take place.

i'm so sick of half baked rumors that i want to puke.

#8 Posted by JMR09 (504 posts) -
Lol yeah no, won't happen.
#9 Posted by LustForSoul (5901 posts) -
Lol if it's really that. That's the Vita's backtouch on front.
#10 Posted by jimmypsn (4425 posts) -

this looks like the blueprint for the detachable dual shock controllers with move orbs.

#11 Posted by lundy86_4 (43754 posts) -

I... Doubt it.

#12 Posted by StrongDeadlift (5181 posts) -

credible source?

ReadingRainbow4

http://www.vgrevolution.com/2013/02/rumored-playstation-4-controller-information-with-images-and-details/

The source is just as credible as any of the PS4/720 rumors that have been going around.  

The guy who they got this from apparently works for the new advertizing agency that Sony just hired, after replacing their old guys.  

However, this "splittshock" controller falls in line with patents Sony has made several years ago.  This isnt the first time we've heard about Sony patenting a "break away" controller with move attachments.  

They submitted this in 2008:

http://www.1up.com/news/sony-patents-break-apart-controller

This just got approved in 2012:

http://www.gamingexaminer.com/sony-patent-dualshock-motion-controller/19123/#.UR02EKVZXng

Have to hand it to them.....at least they arent copying Nintendo/MS this time :lol:

#13 Posted by HaRmLeSS_RaGe (1270 posts) -

I like it :D

#14 Posted by Heil68 (45787 posts) -
Me either, it seems Sony is being the leader in innovation once again. Thank you Sony.
#15 Posted by clyde46 (46803 posts) -
Looks like something from an 90's animated TV show.
#16 Posted by APiranhaAteMyVa (2922 posts) -

No, Sony will just release Dualshock again, maybe add a Vita touch pad on the back. I doubt they want to drive the price up too much, especially as adding needless stuff that devs won't support will end up like the six axis in the Dualshock 3 barely used.

Atleast the six axis could be ignored, this awful design would be a complete disaster.

#17 Posted by musicalmac (23147 posts) -
Looks like something from an 90's animated TV show.clyde46

Indeed.
#18 Posted by ReadingRainbow4 (14695 posts) -

[QUOTE="ReadingRainbow4"]

credible source?

StrongDeadlift

The source is just as credible as any of the PS4/720 rumors that have been going around.

The guy who they got this from apparently works for the new advertizing agency that Sony just hired, after replacing their old guys.

However, this "splittshock" controller falls in line with patents Sony has made several years ago. This isnt the first time we've heard about Sony patenting a "break away" controller with move attachments.

They submitted this in 2008:

http://www.1up.com/news/sony-patents-break-apart-controller

This just got approved in 2012:

http://www.gamingexaminer.com/sony-patent-dualshock-motion-controller/19123/#.UR02EKVZXng

Have to hand it to them.....at least they arent copying Nintendo/MS this time :lol:

Like i said.

credible source, lol.

#19 Posted by emgesp (2372 posts) -

If true then.......

puking.gif 

#20 Posted by Speedzilla (1756 posts) -

Neither do I. This is looking way better than Kinect already.

#21 Posted by Renegade_Fury (17293 posts) -

If true, worst gamepad of all time here we come.

#22 Posted by StrongDeadlift (5181 posts) -

[QUOTE="themajormayor"]I don't have a problem with motion controls anymoreSpeedzilla

#23 Posted by brennanhuff (990 posts) -

This isn't real. If so, wow. Horrible.

#24 Posted by TheEroica (13829 posts) -

Riverwolf007
Reason one why im only grazing system wars for the next few weeks. Its one thing to hear a rumor, quite another thing to claim ownage on them. Since system wars uses very ittle logic id rather not attempt to fight those idiotic battles.
#25 Posted by WreckEm711 (6922 posts) -

I'd wager that's 100% fake, but I think it'd be a perfect controller otherwise if it had thumbsticks instead of touchpads (which are the dead giveaway that this is fake...) I can imagine a RedSteel-ish game where you run and gun using the regular controller, guy runs up with sword, pop the controller apart, unsheathing swords in the game, and starting an epic sword fight. Win. Wont happen though :(

#26 Posted by APiranhaAteMyVa (2922 posts) -
[QUOTE="Speedzilla"]

[QUOTE="themajormayor"]I don't have a problem with motion controls anymoreStrongDeadlift

Would be funny if most of these rumours are true; no used games, "new ways to play" input devices being the focus. Would be interesting to see three factions defend three awful consoles.
#27 Posted by Heil68 (45787 posts) -
[QUOTE="kuraimen"][QUOTE="StrongDeadlift"]

God dammit this forum needs to make "Butthurt" and "Jelly" suspendable offence for spamming.  

Its not even used in any kind of context anymore.  :roll:

Ispeakfact ruined the forum with this nonsense. 

Heil68
Why you so butthurt though? you jelly? ispeak made this forum better, too bad they go him :cry:

Indeed, his butt hurt seems strong yes...I bet its because of his jelly towards Feb 20th when god station 4 is announced. Poor lem, destined for butt hurt and jelly for the rest of his life. :(

An ode to Strong Butthurt: http://vocaroo.com/i/s0xLAOGfpzhf  all credit goes to psymon100 for the voices.
#28 Posted by el3m2tigre (4232 posts) -

Is that like the 3rd PS4 MoveDS controller?

#29 Posted by LadyBlue (3929 posts) -
Lol no! :lol: No way Sony releases a controller without sticks... unless they offer a "pro" controller as an alternative... but still lol at anyone who thinks that. :lol:
#30 Posted by ninjapirate2000 (3104 posts) -

Day 1 baby!

#31 Posted by Eddie-Vedder (7800 posts) -
[QUOTE="Heil68"][QUOTE="Heil68"][QUOTE="kuraimen"] Why you so butthurt though? you jelly? ispeak made this forum better, too bad they go him :cry:

Indeed, his butt hurt seems strong yes...I bet its because of his jelly towards Feb 20th when god station 4 is announced. Poor lem, destined for butt hurt and jelly for the rest of his life. :(

An ode to Strong Butthurt: http://vocaroo.com/i/s0xLAOGfpzhf  all credit goes to psymon100 for the voices.

#32 Posted by Ghost120x (3984 posts) -
No..... Just no.
#33 Posted by -Patrick_92- (2168 posts) -

If this rumor is true, I'm going to assume that this would just replace Move as their next motion controller.  Not the Duelshock.

If I'm wrong, and this is the only control methold for the PS4 (which I doubt) then that is horrible news and I would not buy a PS4.

Still looks better than Kinect though ;) :P

#34 Posted by clone01 (24947 posts) -

Riverwolf007
You got to put up with it for awhile longer. At least until E3, most likely.
#35 Posted by seanmcloughlin (38217 posts) -

Honestly, that's actually pretty cool. And would be a smart idea, if they're going more with move then it would make sense to have it built in. The thumbstick thing though is a bit of a try first sort of thing. Don't know how that would feel

but it's likely not true

#36 Posted by ShadowriverUB (5515 posts) -
This explains 3D camera rumors, they need it for move thing :> they doing same thing as MS, making motion controller not optional allowing devlopers to use it more fequintly without any investment risks. This is not suppricing since this gen (and last gen) Sony was dominating in agmented reality stuff
#37 Posted by ShadowriverUB (5515 posts) -

If true, worst gamepad of all time here we come.

Renegade_Fury
We yet to see it: :> it might be good even with spleating and move balls (or whatever they use for camera detection)
#38 Posted by Gregoroth (2552 posts) -

This explains 3D camera rumors, they need it for move thing :> they doing same thing as MS, making motion controller not optional allowing devlopers to use it more fequintly without any investment risks.ShadowriverUB

Worst spelling of "frequently", ever.

#39 Posted by AmazonTreeBoa (16745 posts) -
Silly rumors and :lol: at the idiots stupid enough to believe them.
#40 Posted by Fizzman (9883 posts) -

LMAO.  That controller looks like trash.

#41 Posted by ShadowriverUB (5515 posts) -
Silly rumors and :lol: at the idiots stupid enough to believe them.AmazonTreeBoa
It's not first time of split controller rumor to show up
#42 Posted by MrJack3690 (2227 posts) -

I'd actually be really interested to try this. I mean I think it would suck, but it would be neat to see how it works, especially if it actually worked well. I'm gonna guess fake, however.

#43 Posted by Gue1 (10429 posts) -

I don't get it... How are you even gonna play 3D games without the analog sticks?

#44 Posted by Mrmedia01 (1917 posts) -

WTF is this. It better have Thumbsticks. The built in move is fine, but this beoootich better have thumb STICKS!!!

#45 Posted by Wasdie (50277 posts) -

Let's hope that this gets shot down like the boomerang did. 

#46 Posted by GarGx1 (2874 posts) -

Not sure what to make of the splitting apart or motion controls.

The digital touch pads could be good though (if they work). They should be more acurate and faster than analogue thumb sticks. Getting used to them may take a bit of practice to get used to, especially finding the center point.

#47 Posted by DragonfireXZ95 (19818 posts) -

[QUOTE="themajormayor"]I don't have a problem with motion controls anymoreSpeedzilla

And you guys shouldn't. Casual gaming is going to flood the market even more so next gen.
#48 Posted by Vari3ty (11111 posts) -

Yeah, I'm going to call BS on this right now.

#49 Posted by ReadingRainbow4 (14695 posts) -

[QUOTE="OP"]

The new controller is also rumored to have 4gb of built-in memory allowing the controller to double as a memory unit as well.

Vari3ty

Yeah, I'm going to call BS on this right now.

well that would certify the rumor of sony getting 8gb of ddr5.

But I certainly don't believe this, it's just way too weird.

#50 Posted by Frostbite24 (4534 posts) -

It's only a rumor if it shows Sony in a negative light. If this was info on the 720 it would be hard evidence of its future failure. :lol: