Last retro game you beat?

• 50 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by mrintro (1354 posts) -

I beat Vagrant Story this past summer, took me 10 years. If only square could make games like that again.

#2 Posted by Renegade_Fury (17352 posts) -

Panzer Dragoon Saga.

Brilliant game, and all the hype I have ever heard about it was 100% warranted. The only thing that sucks is that probably only a few of us will ever get to play it.

#3 Posted by MonsieurX (31194 posts) -

On my way for Seiken Densetsu III.

But officialy,it'd be Tony Hawk Pro Skater

#4 Posted by charizard1605 (59695 posts) -

How old qualifies as retro?

I'd say my answer is God of War, but if that does not qualify, The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time.

#5 Posted by TheEroica (14160 posts) -

Actraiser

#6 Edited by psymon100 (6138 posts) -

Quake 1. Beat it the other day on Normal, probably could have handled Hard but I behaved like a softie. I couldn't remember beating Q1 before, but man ... I remember backing up that game

To floppy disc

Really enjoyed it. Super fast gameplay. No story. Just killing things and they die. Some of the levels were really cool and well designed, particularly in episodes 3 and 4.

#7 Posted by CleanPlayer (9822 posts) -

I got around to beating Earthbound on the Wii U virtual console and it was incredibly epic. I just got Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles IV for the SNES, so I got to make time to play that

#8 Posted by Ghost120x (4057 posts) -

I beat megaman 2 a few months ago. I have slowly been working on playing ninja gaiden (nes) and Zelda 2. Both games are kicking my butt right now.

#9 Posted by danygo1996 (372 posts) -

Devil May Cry 1

#10 Posted by mems_1224 (47838 posts) -

Man, no idea. I have an itch to replay LTTP though. Haven't played it in a few years.

#11 Posted by Michael0134567 (28651 posts) -

Uh, Devil May Cry 3.

#12 Posted by LJS9502_basic (151888 posts) -

Final Fantasy Origins....both games.

#13 Edited by Some-Mist (5630 posts) -

I actually beat donkey kong country last weekend in one sitting..just a little over an hour. kinda sucks that, that is technically my last "retro" game beaten since I still have some real gems to beat (like moon: remix rpg adventure).

#14 Posted by treedoor (7648 posts) -

Half Life, and Donkey Kong Country

Those games are masterpieces.

#15 Posted by GhoX (5168 posts) -

Uplink: Hacker Elite. Such a good game.

#16 Posted by barrybarryk (436 posts) -

Turok: Dinosaur Hunter and Turok 2: Seeds of evil on PC last week, after finding them second hand. Both great games completely overlooked these days by most

#17 Posted by CTR360 (7259 posts) -

shenmue 2 and max payne 2 on xbox

#18 Posted by dobzilian (2490 posts) -

Metroid Prime 2: Echoes.

#19 Posted by mrintro (1354 posts) -

@charizard1605 said:

How old qualifies as retro?

I'd say my answer is God of War, but if that does not qualify, The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time.

[God of War] I would say so

#20 Posted by freedomfreak (41937 posts) -

Call of Duty: Black Ops 2.

#21 Posted by dobzilian (2490 posts) -

@freedomfreak said:

Call of Duty: Black Ops 2.

The only games older than that are Pong and Tetris.

#22 Edited by Seabas989 (10689 posts) -

NiGHTS: Into Dreams (PC).

Right now I'm playing through System Shock 2.

#23 Posted by Lucianu (9525 posts) -
@Seabas989 said:

NiGHTS: Into Dreams (PC).

Right now I'm playing through System Shock 2.

Nice one, more people should play Nights into Dreams HD on the PC. It's a beautiful game with a fantastic charm and great, unique gameplay. I picked it up as soon as i got the chance, finished it a couple of days later.

#24 Posted by soolkiki (1776 posts) -

Mario Bros for the Original Gameboy. At least, that's what I remember.

#25 Edited by bulby_g (1262 posts) -

Flashback. Not the remake (although I'm playing that now).

#26 Posted by soapman72 (2714 posts) -

I always come around to beat Spiderman on the N64

#27 Edited by Lucianu (9525 posts) -

@Renegade_Fury said:

Panzer Dragoon Saga.

Brilliant game, and all the hype I have ever heard about it was 100% warranted. The only thing that sucks is that probably only a few of us will ever get to play it.

Finished that baby a wile ago aswell, man, and i agree.

It blew my mind how ahead of the curve it was. Unique as fuck. I'd kill for a Panzer Dragoon collection of Panzer Dragoon I, Zwei, Saga and Orta all on one Bluray disc.

I'd buy the system on which it would release in a heat beat.

#28 Edited by cainetao11 (18353 posts) -

Started another playthrough of Deus EX, Half Life recently. I guess MGS is the last I played all the way. Don't care how old it gets, the first MGS is the bomb

#29 Posted by Renegade_Fury (17352 posts) -

@Lucianu said:

@Renegade_Fury said:

Panzer Dragoon Saga.

Finished that baby a wile ago aswell, man, and i agree.

It blew my mind how ahead of the curve it was. Unique as fuck. I'd kill for a Panzer Dragoon collection of Panzer Dragoon I, Zwei, Saga and Orta all on one Bluray disc.

I'd buy the system on which it would release in a heat beat.

Yeah, I would too. It seems kind of odd how none of these games have ever been re-released aside from the original Panzer Dragoon. Saga probably wouldn't be included in an HD collection, but seeing Zwei and Orta getting a facelift would be awesome. If any series deserves some more exposure, it's definitely Panzer Dragoon.

#30 Posted by Lucianu (9525 posts) -

@cainetao11 said:

Started another playthrough of Deus EX, Half Life recently. I guess MGS is the last I played all the way. Don't care how old it gets, the first MGS is the bomb

I recommend adding New Vision, HDTP, GMDX and ENB series.

NV, HDTP & ENB provide a huge graphical facelift, wile GMDX gives the gameplay a huge facelift to almost current standards (an infinite amount of balance issues fixed, far better AI, far better everything).

Such an amazing game with all the issues that come with age fixed.

#31 Posted by Lucianu (9525 posts) -

@Renegade_Fury said:

Yeah, I would too. It seems kind of odd how none of these games have ever been re-released aside from the original Panzer Dragoon. Saga probably wouldn't be included in an HD collection, but seeing Zwei and Orta getting a facelift would be awesome. If any series deserves some more exposure, it's definitely Panzer Dragoon.

Hell, Orta just needs to be rendered in 1080p, the engine holds up.

#32 Posted by DocSanchez (1787 posts) -

Lunar Silver Star the Mega CD version.

#33 Posted by Renegade_Fury (17352 posts) -
@Lucianu said:

@Renegade_Fury said:

Hell, Orta just needs to be rendered in 1080p, the engine holds up.

That is true, lol. I remember when it came out, IGN said if they could, they would give it an 11/10 for graphics.

#34 Posted by CoolSkAGuy (9665 posts) -

i JUST BEAT MEGAMAN X! AND I BEAT MEGAMAN ZERO LAST MONTH!! woot!!

#35 Posted by getyeryayasout (7967 posts) -

I don't know...Gunstar Heroes? I'm going to get my plat for Ico HD probably tomorrow.

#36 Posted by SaltyMeatballs (25158 posts) -

Beat? Super Metroid.

#37 Posted by glez13 (8922 posts) -

I think it was Final Fantasy XII. I tried to play Persona 3 after that but couldn't stand the grinding and repetitive nature so never finished it. Persona 4 is waiting but after the bad experience with 3 lost interest in trying it out.

#38 Edited by trollhunter2 (1214 posts) -

pokemon ruby/sapphire, yugioh world wide edition and zelda minish cap on my smartphone. Still epic stuff to play

#39 Posted by PurpleMan5000 (7611 posts) -

Minish Cap

#40 Edited by Shadow4020 (1989 posts) -

Wizards and Warriors on NES

#41 Posted by arkephonic (6471 posts) -

I just recently completed Batman Returns (Snes), Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island (Snes), Final Fight (Snes), Final Fight Double Impact (360), Castlevania Symphony of the Night on the Konami Classics Collection disc (360), Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles IV: Turtles in Time (Snes), Gradius 3 (Snes), Champions of Norrath (PS2), Resident Evil 2 (N64), Strike Gunner STG (Snes), Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles II: The Arcade Game (NES), Double Dragon 2 (nes), Super C (nes) and a few others.

I play a lot of retro games and own a ton.

#42 Edited by StrongDeadlift (5184 posts) -

The Jak and Daxter collection a few months ago. I only beat the first game, and got partway through the second, though.

#43 Posted by xxgunslingerxx (4079 posts) -

turtles in time!!! woootttt

#44 Posted by Alucard_Prime (3199 posts) -

Nice topic......1989 TMNT a few weeks ago on XBLA.....I like to fire it up it once in a while, I have crystal clear memories of playing it on the NES back in the day.....was so fun at the time.

#45 Posted by NameIess_One (559 posts) -

The Thief series, I guess. Started playing Planescape Torment as well last month, but the game bugged itself badly nearing the end, corrupting all my saves. Had to uninstall it, but will get back to it eventually, in a week or two. Really a shame, had only a few hours left.

Also, I should really replay Deus Ex with all of those mods when I get the time. Will make sure to do a franchise replay before that newly announced Deus Ex game comes out.

#46 Posted by trugs26 (5747 posts) -

Hm. The last game I properly played, where I sat down consistently day after day to finish, and was a retro game, was probably Secret of Evermore. I played it on my SNES in 2007. It was amazing.

#47 Edited by trasherhead (3058 posts) -

Working on Grandia atm.

Last one I finished must be Fallout 1.

#48 Posted by NeonNinja (17318 posts) -

Mmmm, I'm playing Final Fantasy V right now.

Other than that, I've gone through stuff like System Shock 2 and Half-Life 2 earlier in the year.

I'm also going to replay both KotOR and Jade Empire as well as go for games like Final Fantasy VI for the first time.

#49 Posted by Lucianu (9525 posts) -

@NameIess_One said:

The Thief series, I guess. Started playing Planescape Torment as well last month, but the game bugged itself badly nearing the end, corrupting all my saves. Had to uninstall it, but will get back to it eventually, in a week or two. Really a shame, had only a few hours left.

Also, I should really replay Deus Ex with all of those mods when I get the time. Will make sure to do a franchise replay before that newly announced Deus Ex game comes out.

You might as well start your new playthrough of PS:T with the mods listed here.

#50 Posted by Lucianu (9525 posts) -

@NeonNinja said:

Mmmm, I'm playing Final Fantasy V right now.

Other than that, I've gone through stuff like System Shock 2 and Half-Life 2 earlier in the year.

I'm also going to replay both KotOR and Jade Empire as well as go for games like Final Fantasy VI for the first time.

Whatever you do, do not play KOTOR2 without the Restoration Project.

Story goes that the developers didn't have the time to finish the game, but they left the files inside. A wealth of dedicated, passionate gamers found the files and re-added the missing content.

KOTOR2 with the Restoration Project is what the devs intended, and it trully is an amazing experience.