Last of Us Graphics Comparison of PS3 vs PS4 Not Very Major

#151 Posted by CrownKingArthur (4895 posts) -

haha, poly count. you want a clean mesh, an efficient toplogy.

#152 Posted by scottpsfan14 (5588 posts) -
@faizan_faizan said:

@scottpsfan14 said:
@melonfarmerz said:

@Gue1 said:

@Chutebox said:
@b4x said:

@Chutebox said:

@b4x: Well no shit. All remasters are. Least they are putting effort into it though and it's more than worth it for those who havne't played the game.

You're 100% right about the value to gamers that have not played it. I have zero argument.

Accept for the effort part. My eyes are lying? You saw UC4 right? If that is true release code?

You call this effort? I call it a dirty money grab.

Pretty sure they'd have to redo the whole game to get it to look like Uncharted. I don't know shit about developing games though.

yeah, assets are on a whole new level even compared to PC games and this make herms mad.

Do you try to sound stupid or something?

How is it stupid? The character models are using 80,000 polys. That's beyond any PC game out there today. Who is to say they are not? I doubt that lighting and stuff will be far beyond, but assets very well could be. Those assets were originally created for the Cell and RSX together. Most PC games are 360 ports that have assets created for the 360 GPU first, then ported the same assets to PC then add effects on top. And they have improved some of the assets (like characters) for TLOU R. I have no doubt that it has some of the highest quality assets in games today. Minus Ryse, and other 8th gen games. Lighting will most likely be beaten by some PC games today thou. And textures.

Do you have a source for that polygon figure? Plus there's no need to brag about that if they're using LODs with half or even quarter the amount of polygons in the main mesh.

If you ever find something to really add, then please do. But as of now, all you seem to do is question what I say just because you're bored and perhaps think I'm having a dig at 'teh master race'.

Okay so I have found that Joel from TLOU PS3 used over 30,000 polygons during gameplay. In TLOU R, they use the cutscene models during gameplay which are double the polys of gameplay PS3. So it turns out that it will be just over 60,000 polygons. I'm not sure of the total amount.

http://gearnuke.com/last-us-cutscene-vs-gameplay-graphics-tease-graphical-jump-expect-uncharted-ps4/

As for the other assets. Naughty Dog made frequent use of the Cells SPE's to add more polygons to screen without stressing the GPU. This means there is more assets than a normal 7th gen multiplat or a 360 game because of the Cell. And because PS3 has a weaker GPU than 360, and multiplat devs never made full use of the SPE's, the 360 outperformed it in multiplats. Cell helped PS3 exclusives look better than 360 games on average because Cell helped render higher quality assets and other graphics.

TLOU Remastered was a nightmare to port to PS4 because there was so much PS3 specific code in the game that a straight port to x86 was completely broken when they first test ran it. So they basically had to recode the game specifically for PS4 hardware. All the assets and effects that were off-loaded to Cells SPE's on PS3 are all simply handled by the PS4's GPU alone because, well, it's more than powerful enough to do so, in 1080p 60fps, and higher draw distance, lighting, textures, character models, etc.

In essence, what I'm saying is, a multiplat last gen was designed to run first and formost on a PS3/360 GPU from 2005. The development pipeline is created for last gen, and PC games use the same pipeline. Of course PC's do get extra effects and the resolution advantage etc. Any way, my point is, that TLOU pipeline on PS3 was not designed for PS3's GPU alone, but was designed to be distributed across the Cells SPE's to save the weak GPU in the PS3 from handling the extra polygons. That same rendering pipeline was used for TLOU R on PS4. And it's all done on the GPU alone as the PS4 doesn't have or need the Cell to do so even with improved effects and draw distance.

Andddd.. I'm done.

#153 Posted by faizan_faizan (7866 posts) -

@scottpsfan14 said:

If you ever find something to really add, then please do. But as of now, all you seem to do is question what I say just because you're bored and perhaps think I'm having a dig at 'teh master race'.

Okay so I have found that Joel from TLOU PS3 used over 30,000 polygons during gameplay. In TLOU R, they use the cutscene models during gameplay which are double the polys of gameplay PS3. So it turns out that it will be just over 60,000 polygons. I'm not sure of the total amount.

http://gearnuke.com/last-us-cutscene-vs-gameplay-graphics-tease-graphical-jump-expect-uncharted-ps4/

As for the other assets. Naughty Dog made frequent use of the Cells SPE's to add more polygons to screen without stressing the GPU. This means there is more assets than a normal 7th gen multiplat or a 360 game because of the Cell. And because PS3 has a weaker GPU than 360, and multiplat devs never made full use of the SPE's, the 360 outperformed it in multiplats. Cell helped PS3 exclusives look better than 360 games on average because Cell helped render higher quality assets and other graphics.

TLOU Remastered was a nightmare to port to PS4 because there was so much PS3 specific code in the game that a straight port to x86 was completely broken when they first test ran it. So they basically had to recode the game specifically for PS4 hardware. All the assets and effects that were off-loaded to Cells SPE's on PS3 are all simply handled by the PS4's GPU alone because, well, it's more than powerful enough to do so, in 1080p 60fps, and higher draw distance, lighting, textures, character models, etc.

In essence, what I'm saying is, a multiplat last gen was designed to run first and formost on a PS3/360 GPU from 2005. The development pipeline is created for last gen, and PC games use the same pipeline. Of course PC's do get extra effects and the resolution advantage etc. Any way, my point is, that TLOU pipeline on PS3 was not designed for PS3's GPU alone, but was designed to be distributed across the Cells SPE's to save the weak GPU in the PS3 from handling the extra polygons. That same rendering pipeline was used for TLOU R on PS4. And it's all done on the GPU alone as the PS4 doesn't have or need the Cell to do so even with improved effects and draw distance.

Andddd.. I'm done.

So it's not 80,000 polygons? Got it.

#154 Posted by Heil68 (45197 posts) -

Dont care, I'm more concerned about the DLC, but I am goign to wait for a price drop. The advantages of having a backlog.

#155 Posted by scottpsfan14 (5588 posts) -
@faizan_faizan said:

@scottpsfan14 said:

Andddd.. I'm done.

So you didn't read and just scanned for anything that benefited your own 'argument'? Got it. Like all you clueless people on this forum. That was a mistake on my part. I heard that Joel on PS3 used 40,000 polygons somewhere, and that TLOU Remastered used the cutscene models in gameplay. And the cutscene models are double the gameplay models in polys. Uncharted 2 Drake is 37,000 polygons in game so I found it feasible that it would be 40,000 for Joel in TLOU. My bad.

#156 Posted by Slimmin360 (1485 posts) -

@foxhound_fox said:

Well, no shit.

A top-of-the-line PS3 game gets ported to the PS4 and people expect this vast improvement? You are basically getting an up-res from ~720p to 1080p. That doesn't make it appear vastly different to the average set of eyes.

Tomb Raider Definitive Edition looked VASTLY better why not the last of us?

#157 Posted by B4X (5232 posts) -

"Shill can also be used pejoratively to describe a critic who appears either all-too-eager to heap glowing praise upon mediocre offerings, or who acts as an apologist for glaring flaws."

#158 Posted by StormyJoe (5497 posts) -

@Slimmin360: I didn't expect there to be that big of a difference. But, TLOU for PS4 is probably going to make me pick up a PS4.

#159 Posted by faizan_faizan (7866 posts) -

@scottpsfan14 said:

So you didn't read and just scanned for anything that benefited your own 'argument'? Got it. Like all you clueless people on this forum. That was a mistake on my part. I heard that Joel on PS3 used 40,000 polygons somewhere, and that TLOU Remastered used the cutscene models in gameplay. And the cutscene models are double the gameplay models in polys. Uncharted 2 Drake is 37,000 polygons in game so I found it feasible that it would be 40,000 for Joel in TLOU. My bad.

So you never use actual figures or give sources to back your claims?

#160 Posted by SambaLele (5424 posts) -

@faizan_faizan said:

@scottpsfan14 said:

Andddd.. I'm done.

Is that really all you got from that post?

#161 Edited by scottpsfan14 (5588 posts) -
@faizan_faizan said:

@scottpsfan14 said:

I actually do. I'm actually one of the only people on these forums who lists multiple website adresses and quotes from reliable sources. But the one time I don't, I get called out on it by someone who, in reality, is clueless. I actually heard it in a comment somewhere. But I corrected it when I fact checked.

Why don't you actually challange what I'm saying? Is that too much to ask?

#162 Posted by faizan_faizan (7866 posts) -

@scottpsfan14 said:
@faizan_faizan said:

@scottpsfan14 said:

I actually do. I'm actually one of the only people on these forums who lists multiple website adresses and quotes from reliable sources. But the one time I don't, I get called out on it by someone who, in reality, is clueless. I actually heard it in a comment somewhere. But I corrected it when I fact checked.

The rest of the thing you posted was irrelevant.

This is what I initially asked "do you have a source for that polygon figure?" and then you hurl a WOT at me that has nothing to do with this.

#163 Posted by AmazonAngry (945 posts) -

Looking excellent. Seems like the best looking game last gen is about to dominate this one. Shame pc can't pump visuals this good.

#164 Edited by scottpsfan14 (5588 posts) -
@faizan_faizan said:

@scottpsfan14 said:
@faizan_faizan said:

@scottpsfan14 said:

The rest of the thing you posted was irrelevant.

This is what I initially asked "do you have a source for that polygon figure?" and then you hurl a WOT at me that has nothing to do with this.

So what was your intentions? The whole time? If I provided a source, what would you have done? Was that just a random questionare on your behalf?

http://forum.beyond3d.com/showthread.php?t=43975&page=58

"Spoke with one of the character artists from Naughty dog who shared this info on Last Of Us with me-"

"Tri count for in-game Joel was around 30k including hair, excluding his backpack. Joel was using 1024 or 512 textures separated into many maps (head, hair, watch, arms, torso, pants, shoes)."

#165 Posted by lostrib (37708 posts) -

@amazonangry said:

Looking excellent. Seems like the best looking game last gen is about to dominate this one. Shame pc can't pump visuals this good.

#166 Edited by sam890 (1108 posts) -

@amazonangry said:

Your trolling is so zzzzzzzzz

#167 Posted by sSubZerOo (43216 posts) -

Times like this remind me why I am so grateful of the pc platform being backwards compatible with over 15 years worth of games....

#168 Posted by scottpsfan14 (5588 posts) -
@scatteh316 said:

@scottpsfan14 said:
@melonfarmerz said:

@Gue1 said:

@Chutebox said:
@b4x said:

@Chutebox said:

@b4x: Well no shit. All remasters are. Least they are putting effort into it though and it's more than worth it for those who havne't played the game.

You're 100% right about the value to gamers that have not played it. I have zero argument.

Accept for the effort part. My eyes are lying? You saw UC4 right? If that is true release code?

You call this effort? I call it a dirty money grab.

Pretty sure they'd have to redo the whole game to get it to look like Uncharted. I don't know shit about developing games though.

yeah, assets are on a whole new level even compared to PC games and this make herms mad.

Do you try to sound stupid or something?

How is it stupid? The character models are using 80,000 polys. That's beyond any PC game out there today. Who is to say they are not? I doubt that lighting and stuff will be far beyond, but assets very well could be. Those assets were originally created for the Cell and RSX together. Most PC games are 360 ports that have assets created for the 360 GPU first, then ported the same assets to PC then add effects on top. And they have improved some of the assets (like characters) for TLOU R. I have no doubt that it has some of the highest quality assets in games today. Minus Ryse, and other 8th gen games. Lighting will most likely be beaten by some PC games today thou. And textures.

And yet the characters don't look all that great, even Tomb Raider on PC which is a PORT has better looking character models then TLOU remastered.

Right so the character models of TR PC is better but not the PS3/360 character models? Even though they are the EXACT SAME character models? How they look is prefrence. You're just a clueless hermit. Do me a favor and leave me alone.

#169 Posted by foxhound_fox (88743 posts) -

@Slimmin360 said:

@foxhound_fox said:

Well, no shit.

A top-of-the-line PS3 game gets ported to the PS4 and people expect this vast improvement? You are basically getting an up-res from ~720p to 1080p. That doesn't make it appear vastly different to the average set of eyes.

Tomb Raider Definitive Edition looked VASTLY better why not the last of us?

Vastly?

I recall that the PC version of the original game looked "vastly" better than the "next-gen" "definitive" edition.

#170 Posted by sHaDyCuBe321 (4145 posts) -

@Nengo_Flow said:

@sHaDyCuBe321 said:

@Nengo_Flow: Cow meltdown in full affect. So now GS is purposely faking PS4 scenes?

No meltdown... its a game I love, already own, and will be getting it again for the PS4.

And you clearly didnt read what I said. Its the PS3 version that GS is clearly faking. Its the fact that people could see how obviously altered that footage is in that comparison.

I read exactly what you said. Here are two quotes from the first two posts you had in this thread:

"There havent been and official comparisons yet and no ones has seen the PS4 version for real yet. GS made that shit up."

"You dont get it do you.... that "Ps4 version" IS the PS3 regular version, and the "PS3 version" is just the regular PS3 version turned down to 480p."

In both of those quotes you are claiming that GS is faking the PS4 screenshots/videos.

Also lol @ you for double dipping on this game.

#171 Posted by madsnakehhh (14491 posts) -

I love this game...but really? did we really need this? then again i loved the Windwaker HD, so what do i know :P

#172 Posted by Chutebox (37365 posts) -

@sHaDyCuBe321 said:

@Nengo_Flow said:

@sHaDyCuBe321 said:

@Nengo_Flow: Cow meltdown in full affect. So now GS is purposely faking PS4 scenes?

No meltdown... its a game I love, already own, and will be getting it again for the PS4.

And you clearly didnt read what I said. Its the PS3 version that GS is clearly faking. Its the fact that people could see how obviously altered that footage is in that comparison.

I read exactly what you said. Here are two quotes from the first two posts you had in this thread:

"There havent been and official comparisons yet and no ones has seen the PS4 version for real yet. GS made that shit up."

"You dont get it do you.... that "Ps4 version" IS the PS3 regular version, and the "PS3 version" is just the regular PS3 version turned down to 480p."

In both of those quotes you are claiming that GS is faking the PS4 screenshots/videos.

Also lol @ you for double dipping on this game.

What's there to "meltdown" over, just curious?

#173 Posted by no-scope-AK47 (2806 posts) -

@sSubZerOo said:

Times like this remind me why I am so grateful of the pc platform being backwards compatible with over 15 years worth of games....

and mods for example gta4 modded on pc owns gta5 on console.

#174 Posted by megaspiderweb09 (3686 posts) -

Let's be honest and call a spade a spade, this is not a major upgrade but that said, the company producing it never said it would be, that is why it's called a re master. The upgrade I think most will notice however is the 60fps and cleaner textures which honestly should be enough, that and the added bonus of all dlc included makes it a good deal in comparison to even buying the ps3 version right now (all dlc included). I think ND didn't have the benefit of having to port this game from pc like crystal dynamics did with the tomb raider one, so they had more to do bringing over all those codes from ps3 to the ps4 due to radically different architecture

#175 Edited by megaspiderweb09 (3686 posts) -

@Alucard_Prime: it's not just numbers actually and I do agree with your point. Most people can't see the upgrade yet due to the video nature presented however I encourage patience and perhaps look up some gamersyde videos, the frame rate alone changes a damn lot

#176 Posted by WallofTruth (1746 posts) -
@Wasdie said:

Not very major? Not only is it a slight increase to the assets and the rendering (lighting/shading) it's also rendering at 1080p60.

The PS3 version runs at 720p and 30fps with frequent dips.

1280x720 = 921,600

1920x1080 = 2,073,600

921,600 x 30 = 27,648,000 pixels per second

2,073,600 x 60 = 124,416,000 pixels per second

That's a 450% increase in the amount of pixels rendered within 1 second. Then you have to include noticeably better assets and rendering used.

That's not a "small" increase.

And here's the problem, in the real world no one cares about having 450% more pixels each second. The game costs $60, so for someone who has already bought the game it's a real shitty excuse to re-buy the game just for 450% more pps.

So it might be a big increase technically but other than that it's a pretty small increase. Especially when it a few years we'll have working PS3 emulators who will do that 450% increase for free if you own the PS3 version.

#177 Posted by edwardecl (2239 posts) -

"Especially when it a few years we'll have working PS3 emulators who will do that 450% increase for free if you own the PS3 version."

... trust me you won't be having a PS3 emulator anytime soon, well at least at full speed let alone a 450% performance increase.

#179 Posted by FoxbatAlpha (7422 posts) -

ROFL. Cows bent over again. $60 for version 1.000001.

#180 Edited by SambaLele (5424 posts) -

@FoxbatAlpha said:

ROFL. Cows bent over again. $60 for version 1.000001.

There are many like me that didn't play the game yet. On the PS3, it's currently $45 (dlc already counted). For the PS4 $50. If I'm going to buy this game (and I certainly am), why wouldn't I prefer the better version for $5 more?

#181 Edited by Slimmin360 (1485 posts) -

@sSubZerOo said:

So your telling me that a PC game that ran on Windows 3.1 or XP will run on Windows 8 with no mods or emulators of any kind ?

I don't think so, and if you can get it to run, it's certainly not because of backwards compatibility, but because of a mod someone made to use for those particular games, and any O.S. or hardware can be modded or have an emulator made for it, if someone wanted to take the time to do it.

#182 Posted by LadyBlue (3929 posts) -

I can tell the difference by looking at that terribly compressed video.

#183 Edited by Slimmin360 (1485 posts) -

@StormyJoe said:

@Slimmin360: I didn't expect there to be that big of a difference. But, TLOU for PS4 is probably going to make me pick up a PS4.

If you are being sarcastic, than disregard this reply, but if your not, then you need to take another look at that video, because there is certainly no mind blowing difference in graphics between the PS3 and PS4 version of the game, certainly not nough to shell out another $50.

#184 Posted by StormyJoe (5497 posts) -

@Slimmin360 said:

@StormyJoe said:

If you are being sarcastic, than disregard this reply, but if your not, then you need to take another look at that video, because there is certainly no mind blowing difference in graphics between the PS3 and PS4 version of the game, certainly not nough to shell out another $50.

I honestly did not look. I was not being sarcastic.

#185 Posted by Meinhard1 (6775 posts) -

Were people expecting a graphical overhaul?

The game looks a ton clearer, going by the video. I haven't played the original but the PS4 version is noticeably better.

You'd have to be a hardcore fan to consider the upgrade worth it but this is a huge game so having it available on the PS4 makes sense.

#186 Posted by brimmul777 (1244 posts) -

I wonder if the Halo:MCC will have better visuals then The Last Of Us remake.I did not play TLOU on PS3,but from what I can see from the comparison from PS3 vs PS4 version,there is not that big of a gap.In my opinion.

#187 Edited by sSubZerOo (43216 posts) -

@Slimmin360 said:

@sSubZerOo said:

So your telling me that a PC game that ran on Windows 3.1 or XP will run on Windows 8 with no mods or emulators of any kind ?

I don't think so, and if you can get it to run, it's certainly not because of backwards compatibility, but because of a mod someone made to use for those particular games, and any O.S. or hardware can be modded or have an emulator made for it, if someone wanted to take the time to do it.

Xp? I have gotten games for windows 98 to run easily with minor tampering.. And those go back over 15 years..

#188 Edited by slimdogmilionar (562 posts) -

@amazonangry said:

Tlou of us was an awesome game, but you just negated your whole argument when you said PC can't pump visuals this good. I'd have to put that in the top 3 dumbest post I've ever seen on SW. #toostupidtoinsult

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CYVcad54xWw Shame consoles can't push visuals this good.

#189 Posted by leandrro (903 posts) -

@b4x said:

Yeah that looks like it's worth 50 bones...lmfao.

EDIT: People actually justified this money grab for 10 pages in a thread I made......That shit is weak sauce.

Same exact game....with less blur. The POWER!!!!

That's 50 dollars of power baby!!

Shit should be backwards compatible with that weak ass money grab showing...scums.

so its 90% cutscenes? just like infamous ss

#190 Posted by vashkey (33750 posts) -

I think the main point is 1080P/60fps. Personally, yeah I don't think it's worth it, but the game is so new that it's not like they were going to make it cheap. The PS3 version is still fourty dollars... But yeah, compared to something like The Master Chief Collection this definitely feels like a shitty deal. But Sony know people will pay and I for one and all for porting last gen classics to the current system if only to help the libraries a bit.

#191 Edited by Terrencec06 (3552 posts) -

If I hadn't paid for it on ps3, I'd jump all on this. But I have to wait for a price drop.

#192 Posted by ermacness (7092 posts) -

@bldgirsh said:

Well, duh you need AT LEAST a 60 inch TV to see some difference. /sarcasm

Anyways, cows like it when games have remastered graphics so this one will be a sure hit.

Oh come now!

The lems biggest title this year, is a remaster. Stop being hypocritical.

#193 Posted by darkangel115 (1784 posts) -

@lostrib said:

@b4x said:

Hey I hear you like less blurry with your rehash. Well there you go baby.

This game has ZERO excuse not being a backwards compatible port. Money grubbing industry is..... weak.

...perhaps because the PS4 is not backwards compatible with PS3.

True, but no reason they can't offer an "upgrade" fee of like 10-15 bucks for people who already purchased the game on PS3

#194 Edited by edwardecl (2239 posts) -
@darkangel115 said:

@lostrib said:

@b4x said:

Hey I hear you like less blurry with your rehash. Well there you go baby.

This game has ZERO excuse not being a backwards compatible port. Money grubbing industry is..... weak.

...perhaps because the PS4 is not backwards compatible with PS3.

True, but no reason they can't offer an "upgrade" fee of like 10-15 bucks for people who already purchased the game on PS3

This is what they should have done, offer a PSN version of the game to people who own the PS3 version for a small fee and just require the disc to be in the drive to play like you would normally do with disc games, it would not even require a permanent internet connection if they did it properly. I mean all games do full installs now anyway so it would be no different.

#195 Posted by nutcrackr (12640 posts) -

Quick and easy cash grab for Sony. Don't buy this if you have any passion for the gaming industry.

#196 Posted by lglz1337 (3855 posts) -

soak it up haters!!

http://youtube.com/watch?v=2tAGbnlgPC4

over 200 awards

#197 Posted by Kjranu (1031 posts) -

I think we should remember that it's a remaster and not a TLOU 2.

#198 Posted by lostrib (37708 posts) -

@lglz1337 said:

soak it up haters!!

http://youtube.com/watch?v=2tAGbnlgPC4

over 200 awards

So still no gameplay clips, lame

#199 Edited by ccagracing (813 posts) -

After looking at that video the tc posted it doesn't look a massive upgrade but an upgrade none the less. The PS4 is clearer and this will only become more apparent if direct feed uncompressed footage was used. As for the game being worth the money, probably not if you have alReady played it, personally would rather have seen a sequel announced or even an expansion ala gta4 style.

#200 Edited by sHaDyCuBe321 (4145 posts) -

@slimdogmilionar: don't feed the troll please.