Last Gaurdian will not be AAA.

• 133 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for Banjo_Kongfooie
Banjo_Kongfooie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Banjo_Kongfooie
Member since 2007 • 3838 Posts

Am I the only one unimpressed by Last Gaurdian's "art dirrection" It looks very similar to SOTC imo climate wise. The whole premise doesn't sound very exciting either... Why not just give everyone the SOTC2 they want ... Oh they are artists :p

Seriously though I cannot be the only one disappointed by the art dirrection...

I guess now you want evidence that is not subjective well... Team Ico has never made an AAA game and this just looks to similar to their old work to stray from this.

NaveedLife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 NaveedLife
Member since 2010 • 17179 Posts

I think your reasoning is very flawed and opinion based.

Ragnarok1051

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Ragnarok1051
Member since 2007 • 20238 Posts

I doubt anyone will really care. SOTC got AA and its loved by almost everyone.

killa4lyfe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#5 killa4lyfe
Member since 2008 • 3849 Posts
Hmm I don't know....but maybe the fact that Shadow of the Colossus is known to be one of the best games ever created might be factor into why there is so much hype for the game :|
Anastasia1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Anastasia1997
Member since 2010 • 641 Posts

ON GS? IDK, but on metacritic, SOTC and ICO scored AAA

RyanShazam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 RyanShazam
Member since 2006 • 6498 Posts

Because its not like IGN gave Shadow of the Colossus best PS2 game or anything.

Plus i think the art style looks excellent and i believe the game will get AAA scores across the board.

FatCatPatRat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 FatCatPatRat
Member since 2010 • 550 Posts

i hear a herd of cows coming

johny300

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 johny300
Member since 2010 • 12496 Posts
First we have only seen 2 trailers and what's wrong with the art direction the game looks beautiful, and there is a first time for everything meaning it can achieve AAAE score.
Avatar image for Raymundo_Manuel
Raymundo_Manuel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Raymundo_Manuel
Member since 2010 • 4641 Posts

Ragnarok1051

Yah, it's one of those games that seem to be immune to criticism.

In fact the only other game similar to it I can think of with that same immunity would be Portal.

inb4 critics come in, and bash Portal or SotC

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#11 Bigboi500
Member since 2007 • 35550 Posts

So because you don't like the art direction, GameSpot won't give it a AAA score? :?

JustPlainLucas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 226

#12 JustPlainLucas
Member since 2002 • 80441 Posts
I loved ICO and Shadow of Colossus.... so why would I be disappointed that this resembles the previous two games? :? Seriously, I'm entirely missing your point...
Banjo_Kongfooie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Banjo_Kongfooie

Plus i think the art style looks excellent and i believe the game will get AAA scores across the board.

RyanShazam

Of course its excellent but its treading familiar ground and Team Ico doesn't seem to be taking strides as a developer but steps. I mean are you going to deny the setting is familiar?

Oh and this isn't IGN and you do know IGN is owned by Newscorp right?

Riverwolf007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Riverwolf007
Member since 2005 • 26023 Posts

so?

i have liked a pile of poor scoring games this gen and have thought another pile of high scoring games were crap.

Ragnarok1051

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Ragnarok1051
Member since 2007 • 20238 Posts

i hear a herd of cows coming

FatCatPatRat
PS3 fans aren't the only ones who like Team Ico.
mrmusicman247

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 mrmusicman247
Member since 2008 • 17601 Posts
Well in my opinion SOTC should have gotten AAA so i don't care what GS gives The Last Guardian :)
Banjo_Kongfooie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Banjo_Kongfooie

so?

i have liked a pile of poor scoring games this gen and have thought another pile of high scoring games were crap.

Riverwolf007

And... I enjoyed Too Human but that does not make it AAAE, This is system wars and objective data has more credential here.

shinrabanshou

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 shinrabanshou
Member since 2009 • 8458 Posts

Review scores aren't "objective data." :/

And what on earth has IGN being apparently owned by NewsCorp have to do with anything? :?

johny300

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 johny300
So what if it's not AAAE, i played ico and SOTC and loved them, waiting for the collection btw :).
LiftedHeadshot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 LiftedHeadshot
Member since 2009 • 2460 Posts
Such irrefutable evidence you present to us....Purely objective...
Blabadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 1

#22 Blabadon
Member since 2008 • 33030 Posts

Am I the only one unimpressed by Last Gaurdian's "art dirrection" It looks very similar to SOTC imo climate wise. The whole premise doesn't sound very exciting either... Why not just give everyone the SOTC2 they want ... Oh they are artists :p

I guess now you want evidence that is not subjective well... Team Ico has never made an AAA game and this just looks to similar to their old work to stray from this.

Banjo_Kongfooie
Lemme start off saying Shadow of the Colossus is the best game of all time. Sure, add the IMO in there because it's true, but look at other scores from sites like IGN. 9.7. Best PS2 game of all time? SoTC. 4th best, by the way? ICO. 2nd best game of the past decade? SoTC. All according to IGN. You OBVIOUSLY have not played SoTC (enough) to know the masterpiece it is, and how it doesn't need a sequel. That being said, GOTY 2011 is The Last Guardian.
orion_52

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 orion_52
Member since 2008 • 595 Posts

Personally I think it looks amazing. Seriously, this is made by the studio that created Ico and SOTC, widely recognized as two of the greatest games of all time. These are some of the first games mentioned when the 'are video games art? discussion comes up, and they provoke emotion on a variety of levels that not many games do.

If TLC doesn't receive critical acclaim, it will be because it couldn't meet justifiably massive expectations.

karasill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 karasill
Member since 2007 • 3155 Posts
I like Team ICO's art style. Regardless if The Last Guardian gets an AAA score or an AA score, I'm sure I will find the gameplay quite refreshing, enjoyable, and a change of pace from the shooters, racers, and casual party games that I have been surrounded by lately. If I'm not mistaken I'm pretty sure all of Team ICO's games are connected to each other in some fashion, even if just loosely hence the same "climate" or as I would say, setting...
iloverikku11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 iloverikku11
Member since 2005 • 11039 Posts

when SotC was coming out I didn't think it looked that great (story/gameplay wise, art has always been stunning.) but then I played it and cried. I have faith in team ico

RyanShazam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 RyanShazam
Member since 2006 • 6498 Posts

[QUOTE="RyanShazam"]

Banjo_Kongfooie

Of course its excellent but its treading familiar ground and Team Ico doesn't seem to be taking strides as a developer but steps. I mean are you going to deny the setting is familiar?

So just because they are using a similar setting the game cant be good? I for one like that setting and as long as the game complements it and uses the setting correctly i don't see a problem. Its like you are completely ignoring the fact that the game could have different game play mechanics or anything else that makes a game.

Super Mario Galaxy 2 had the same exact setting as the first game but scored a 10/10. What Changed? Mostly the gameplay and they fixed some flaws.

Plus i know this isn't IGN, but its still a fact that they gave Shadow of the Colossus the Best PS2 Game Award... and WTF is Newscorp?

dercoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 dercoo
Member since 2006 • 12555 Posts

I agree...

It will be AAAA 8)

FIipMode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#28 FIipMode
Member since 2009 • 10850 Posts
My hype is AA.
Riverwolf007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Riverwolf007
Member since 2005 • 26023 Posts

[QUOTE="Riverwolf007"]

so?

Banjo_Kongfooie

And... I enjoyed Too Human but that does not make it AAAE, This is system wars and objective data has more credential here.

lulz, well in that case i probably agree with you it probaby won't be AAA.

johny300

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 johny300
My hype is AAAE 8).
Avatar image for danthegardner99
danthegardner99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 danthegardner99
Member since 2006 • 799 Posts

[QUOTE="RyanShazam"]

Banjo_Kongfooie

This comment makes no sense because in the OP you stated they should make SoTC2. But would that not be treading on familiar ground? Also, being able to make games with similar settings with totally different game mechanics is better than a sequel in my eyes.

SpinoRaptor24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 143

#32 SpinoRaptor24
Member since 2008 • 10316 Posts

Some of my favourite games ever played didn't even score AAA here.

Swift_Boss_A

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Swift_Boss_A
Member since 2007 • 14579 Posts
Love the art direction, don't care what it scores I will get the game no matter what.

U mad?
hexashadow13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 hexashadow13
Member since 2010 • 5157 Posts
I think its relatively impossible for it to get AAA here. AAAE guaranteed GotY
madsnakehhh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#35 madsnakehhh
Member since 2007 • 18249 Posts

Maybe you are right, maybe it won't be AAA, Team ICO is not known for well polished games, however i couldn't care less, i'm interested in Last Guardian because of the experience it may offer.

Banjo_Kongfooie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Banjo_Kongfooie

[QUOTE="Banjo_Kongfooie"]

Blabadon

Lemme start off saying Shadow of the Colossus is the best game of all time. Sure, add the IMO in there because it's true, but look at other scores from sites like IGN. 9.7. Best PS2 game of all time? SoTC. 4th best, by the way? ICO. 2nd best game of the past decade? SoTC. All according to IGN. You OBVIOUSLY have not played SoTC (enough) to know the masterpiece it is, and how it doesn't need a sequel. That being said, GOTY 2011 is The Last Guardian.

Ummm I obviously have like 4-5 months after it was released and played it without a guide and I loved it but the replay value was scarce. I mean I got RE4 for ps2 that christmas and I consider that a far better game then SOTC ( I played RE4 on GC too and it looked like it could be in this gen). SOTC is nowhere near the top Ps2 games on this site and IGN has less merit in system wars than the site your posting on.

I am not saying SOTC isn't a masterpiece its one of my favorite games but I wouldn't call it the best PS2 game and thankfully Gamespot backs up it not being the best Ps2 game.... I cant speak for ICO because I haven't played it yet but I heard it had similarities with SOTC's visuals.

I just find it funny that the great "artists" are recycling the art style for Last Gaurdian rather than exploring new vistas and I really don't think the game will be very replayable.

Also I am skeptical of the whole premise of battling on a monster with a little boy as this could make the story cheesy and the gameplay shorter.

Funconsole

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#37 Funconsole
Member since 2009 • 3223 Posts
How about we wait till it actually releases before judging? (Or atleast we see some proper gameplay)
funsohng

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 funsohng
Member since 2005 • 29976 Posts

Ragnarok1051
:o new sig alert!! And TC: we do not know a lot of things about to feel not exciting about (but enough to feel exciting about tho).
madsnakehhh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#39 madsnakehhh
Member since 2007 • 18249 Posts

Also I am skeptical of the whole premise of battling on a monster with a little boy as this could make the story cheesy and the gameplay shorter.

Banjo_Kongfooie

How do you know that's the game mechanic?

StealthSting

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 StealthSting
Member since 2006 • 6915 Posts

Another Shadow of the Colossus? Jesus Christ people...

Yes I get it, the game made a very good impression on a lot of people, but why does everyone need to have a sequel on everything they enjoy in this industry?

Let a game be good and let it end as such without turning it into a franchise.

You know what, I would only hope more teams followed that "Oh they are artists" mentality you're talking about TC. It would make the industry a lot more interesting.

They've done great with both ICO and SotC, does that mean that we have an assured hit with Last Guardian? No, not at all. On the other hand, it does mean that they've proved themselves to be talented developers certainly capable of creating an experience just as good, if not better than their last game. So yes, I'll gadly give Team ICO the benefit of the doubt.

Gue1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#41 Gue1
Member since 2004 • 12171 Posts

The Last Guardian will not have an online MP and it'll have a very very very short campaign, that's a given. I bet that it'll be shorter than Heavenly Sword or Vanquish and because of that I'd be surprise if the game gets a score above A but I'm pretty sure that the game will be unique and fun and that's what most of the fans of the series are expecting.

Blabadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Blabadon

[QUOTE="Blabadon"][QUOTE="Banjo_Kongfooie"]

Banjo_Kongfooie

Ummm I obviously have like 4-5 months after it was released and played it without a guide and I loved it but the replay value was scarce. I mean I got RE4 for ps2 that christmas and I consider that a far better game then SOTC ( I played RE4 on GC too and it looked like it could be in this gen). SOTC is nowhere near the top Ps2 games on this site and IGN has less merit in system wars than the site your posting on.

I am not saying SOTC isn't a masterpiece its one of my favorite games but I wouldn't call it the best PS2 game and thankfully Gamespot backs up it not being the best Ps2 game.... I cant speak for ICO because I haven't played it yet but I heard it had similarities with SOTC's visuals.

I just find it funny that the great "artists" are recycling the art style for Last Gaurdian rather than exploring new vistas and I really don't think the game will be very replayable.

Alright then. I believe you and apologize for taking a cheap shot and saying you didn't play it. To each his own, but respectfully, I disagree with you TC.
johny300

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 johny300

The Last Guardian will not have an online MP and it'll have a very very very short campaign, that's a given. I bet that it'll be shorter than Heavenly Sword or Vanquish and because of that I'd be surprise if the game gets a score above A but I'm pretty sure that the game will be unique and fun and that's what most of the fans of the series are expecting.

Gue1
Wait Vanquish is like 4-5 hours, and by saying TLG maybe will be shorter you're saying it's going to be 3 hours? heavenly sword was 7 hours btw.
Meinhard1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Meinhard1
Member since 2010 • 6790 Posts
Although I love the art style I actually agree that the premise doesn't seem very fun in itself.... but at the same time it seems really unique so even that intruges me
Avatar image for deactivated-652663614c5e5
deactivated-652663614c5e5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 deactivated-652663614c5e5
Member since 2005 • 2271 Posts

I think it has a shot at AAA. I like it's art direction. It's similar to SOTC but with noticeable improvements.

Blabadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Blabadon

Gue1
Can I have your time machine? PLEASE???
campzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 campzor
Member since 2004 • 34932 Posts
i think it'll get 8.5-9 wonder how it plays out
GnR-SLaSh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 GnR-SLaSh
Member since 2006 • 3021 Posts
This game could get a 2.5 here and I'd still buy it, like you said, they're artists. Artists who've produce two of my all time favorite video games, (and that's a long list of games, mind you). I hope you're wrong but I could see it getting a 7 just as easily as I could a 9 here. I guess I kinda agree with you...hmm...I didn't expect that.getyeryayasout
I agree, I can see GS screwing it over with a low 8, with AAA status everywhere else on Metacritic...
Phaze-Two

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Phaze-Two
Member since 2009 • 3444 Posts

[QUOTE="RyanShazam"]

Banjo_Kongfooie

and gamespot is owned by National Amusements (who also owns viacom and cbs etc,)... so what?

Avatar image for MetroidPrimePwn
MetroidPrimePwn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#50 MetroidPrimePwn
Member since 2007 • 12399 Posts

I have no doubt that it's not going to be AAA, and I also have no doubt that I'm going to enjoy it several times more than I enjoyed 95% of AAA games this gen.