Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 103

User Lists: 8

#1  Edited By Cloud_imperium
Member since 2013 • 15146 Posts

Eurogamer Reports :

Divinity: Original Sin developer Larian Studios is making two new RPGs, it's confirmed.

"Both RPGs are being built on top of the D:OS engine," Larian boss Swen Vincke revealed in a new blog post.

The developer is using its existing engine so all fixes it makes for Divinity: Original Sin automatically benefit the new games.

"It also means that we can spend most of our resources on developing new cool stuff without having to reinvent things that worked well already," he added.

"And it immediately gives us a rationale for putting unreasonable amounts of effort in fixing the things we didn't do that well in D:OS, meaning our existing players will continue to get improved gameplay for as long as we can maintain compatibility.

"Furthermore, it also means that the toolset is going to be improved for a long time to come and so eventually we'll get more and better mods. We'll even have a Linux version."

Vincke said the developer was currently working on a raft of updates for Original Sin, including fixing parts of the story, improving the user interface, revisiting encounters and rebalancing loot.

It will also rewrite certain sections of dialogue, add extra feedback and tackle character progression.

In order to cope with the extra work and the creation of two new RPGs, Larian is hiring. The company was 42 people when it finished Original Sin. It's 53 now. As part of the expansion drive, the company has set up an office in Quebec City

The growth is fuelled by the success of Original Sin, which had sold over half a million copies as of September 2014 - an impressive figure that caused Vincke to comment: "So much for turn-based fantasy RPGs not selling."

Vincke stopped short of saying anything further about Larian's new games, but given how well Original Sin turned out, the pressure is on.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014-12-18-divinity-original-sin-dev-reveals-its-making-two-new-rpgs

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#2 uninspiredcup  Online
Member since 2013 • 58893 Posts

Now they have success: I expect it to be built with consoles and pads in mind and thus: ruined.

Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#3 SolidGame_basic
Member since 2003 • 45088 Posts

I will gladly buy another game of theirs.

Cloud_imperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Cloud_imperium
@uninspiredcup said:

Now they have success: I expect it to be built with consoles and pads in mind and thus: ruined.

Didn't you say the same thing about Total War: Attila? They are already experimenting with controller support for Divinity: Original Sin. I think they plan to release it for Steam OS and Big screens.

MlauTheDaft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 MlauTheDaft
Member since 2011 • 5189 Posts
@SolidGame_basic said:

I will gladly buy another game of theirs.

+1 * 2^127

L0ngshot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#6  Edited By L0ngshot
Member since 2014 • 516 Posts

Happy happy happy! I'll pre-order just to support them.

pyro1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#7 pyro1245
Member since 2003 • 9397 Posts

****. yes. stay the course.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#8  Edited By uninspiredcup  Online
Member since 2013 • 58893 Posts

@Cloud_imperium said:
@uninspiredcup said:

Didn't you say the same thing about Total War: Attila?

Nope. Total War in general. It will happen. They are already trying to design it for steam controller.

Unless they are completely silly billy the next logical step is to port it to consoles.

Regardless: Even in Rome II you can see attempts at streamlining. Shogun 2 (which is excellent) was sensibly streamlined. Rome II was just made for console gamers. Waste of time.

The Divinity men (as mentioned) aspire for console sales. Aspiring for console sales practically always results in a stupid person game press X to win humanity sucking cancerous tumor. A sad fact of life.

DEadliNE-Zero0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By DEadliNE-Zero0
Member since 2014 • 6607 Posts

Yes. Loved Divinity.

Can't wait to see what they put out next. Would actually love to see a futuristic sci-fi crpg from them.

Postosuchus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Postosuchus
Member since 2005 • 907 Posts

I'm glad to hear they're still working on that big balance patch they spoke of months ago, and are aware of the inventory flaws. Been waiting on that patch to start a second playthrough, and the inventory was my biggest complaint with the game, even though some of it is due to the dual protagonist system.

I hope they take a look at wasteland 2's inventory. That "give to preferred party member" looting option was pretty great.

Cloud_imperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Cloud_imperium

I'd love a new Divinity title and a new game set in futuristic world.

Avatar image for speedfreak48t5p
speedfreak48t5p

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 62

#12 speedfreak48t5p
Member since 2009 • 14416 Posts

They should make something that's not an RPG. That would be awesome.

Cloud_imperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Cloud_imperium

Entire blog post is well written and very inspiring and it seems like one of these games will be a new IP but here is best part:

You’re not going to see huge animated movies with barely interactive worlds from us in which millions of dollars go to cutscenes. Instead, you’ll see dense, highly interactive worlds where the amount of possible interactions continuously increases and your freedom to do as you want approaches that of a pen & paper RPG. That too costs a lot, but it yields gameplay which is much more up my alley and thankfully, there are a lot of you who enjoy it. As long as that is the case, we’ll keep on making games like this.

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Maroxad
Member since 2007 • 23901 Posts

This is great.

Instead of having money invested in building a new engine, said budget can be used to design content, and improve mechanics. Perhaps even a few engine improvements here and there.

So much more efficient.

Avatar image for deactivated-660c2894dc19c
deactivated-660c2894dc19c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#16 deactivated-660c2894dc19c
Member since 2004 • 2190 Posts

I've played all Divinity games starting from Divine Divinity and I've enjoyed them all. Glad that they're finally getting the success they deserve.

Avatar image for ShepardCommandr
ShepardCommandr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#17 ShepardCommandr
Member since 2013 • 4939 Posts

great more outdated 90s trash

Avatar image for deactivated-5ebea105efb64
deactivated-5ebea105efb64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#18 deactivated-5ebea105efb64
Member since 2013 • 7262 Posts

@ShepardCommandr said:

more outdated trash comments from you.

naz99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 naz99
Member since 2002 • 2941 Posts

@uninspiredcup said:

For Crying out loud,SHUT UP,here is a ball of string go outside an play with it in traffic.

naz99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By naz99
Member since 2002 • 2941 Posts

@ShepardCommandr said:

You contribute to these boards about as much as a male rapist contributes to female rights..........

You also lack any decent ammunition against these great games,you have to repeat yourself again and again...lets hope you don't breed there is enough stupid in this world.

Doozie78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#21  Edited By Doozie78
Member since 2014 • 1123 Posts

Best news I've heard all day! I'm more than happy to support a worthwhile non-"AAA" dev that actually gives a shit.