Kratos in Norse Mythology!

• 94 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by Coolyfett (5079 posts) -

Since so many Gods have been killed off in the Greek Realm, Sony should work Norse Myth into the series.. I was just reading about the Norse World on wiki and there are some many cool places, monsters, Gods & races that would be great in the god of war series. Portals, portals portals....thats how they could connect the two realms. Think of the possibilities and the God fights you could have in Norse Mythology....is anyone familiar with NorSe Myth?

#2 Posted by akbar13 (2186 posts) -

They should do Christian Mythology next.

#3 Posted by DraugenCP (8469 posts) -

Yeah, now that the God of War trilogy has come to an end, the obvious choice is to explore other mythical settings, such as Northern Europe or Classical Egypt, and I think that's what they'll do eventually.

#4 Posted by Half-Way (5001 posts) -

akbar13

to late, bayonetta allready killed too many angels

#5 Posted by BioDogshock (550 posts) -

What the hell is a norse? A noob horse?

#6 Posted by akbar13 (2186 posts) -

BioDogshock

Wow.

#8 Posted by CajunShooter (5272 posts) -
This was David Jaffe's original plan with the God of War Series. He wanted to take it through other mythologies that are now dead. He was looking at Norse mythology as the next stepping stone after Kratos got rid of all the Greek gods.
#9 Posted by 110million (14910 posts) -

[QUOTE="BioDogshock"]

akbar13

Wow.

Its impossible to be that ignorant, therefore I assume he was trying to make a joke, an embarrassingly awful one, like, better start a new account level of embarrassing.

#10 Posted by KittenWishes (1165 posts) -
Too Human has already done it and it was actually one of the games only redeeming qualities.
#11 Posted by Half-Way (5001 posts) -

This was David Jaffe's original plan with the God of War Series. He wanted to take it through other mythologies that are now dead. He was looking at Norse mythology as the next stepping stone after Kratos got rid of all the Greek gods.CajunShooter

kinda dull to start at greek mythology then, egyptianhas waaay more interesting gods

#12 Posted by CajunShooter (5272 posts) -

I found the article

"What David Jaffe talked about doing was — and I'm not sure how it would happen — basically, you destroy Greek mythology and then Norse mythology is right around the corner. That's the next thing that Kratos would go after. It becomes clear at the end that he's going to become this harbinger of death across different mythologies in the world and maybe carry the series on from there.

Cory Barlog talked about Kratos becoming Death. He pretty much becomes the Grim Reaper at the end of the game and his blades become sickles. They're both incredibly good ideas, but you need a director to be passionate about the story and understand it intimately. If I had used Dave or Cory's idea, I wouldn't have been as passionate about it."

http://playstationlife****net/2010/04/29/god-of-war-iiis-previous-directors-wanted-alternative-endings/

#13 Posted by tehHaste (258 posts) -

[QUOTE="akbar13"]

[QUOTE="BioDogshock"]

110million

Wow.

Its impossible to be that ignorant, therefore I assume he was trying to make a joke, an embarrassingly awful one, like, better start a new account level of embarrassing.

I died laughing LOL!!!

#14 Posted by Espada12 (23248 posts) -

Eh I'd like to see it especially since norse gods are pretty brutal! Would be fun, however I think Egyptian mythology is a much better setting, more gods and a great locale.

#15 Posted by rogerjak (14702 posts) -

BioDogshock

Really?

#16 Posted by xWoW_Rougex (2750 posts) -

Since so many Gods have been killed off in the Greek Realm, Sony should work Norse Myth into the series.. I was just reading about the Norse World on wiki and there are some many cool places, monsters, Gods & races that would be great in the god of war series. Portals, portals portals....thats how they could connect the two realms. Think of the possibilities and the God fights you could have in Norse Mythology....is anyone familiar with NorSe Myth?

Coolyfett

Yes yes! Norse mythology is my favorite and I woud LOVE to see a GoW styled game but with different environment since I've never been too interested in the greek mythology and environment. The norse mythology is just so awesome and I LOVE the names such as Jörmungandr!

It will NEVER happen though.

#17 Posted by Nonstop-Madness (9466 posts) -
David Jaffe said that originally GOW3 was suppose to lead to Norse Mythology.
#18 Posted by dragonfly110 (27058 posts) -

akbar13

but we only have 1 god, he has 3 different forms but still just one guy.

Unles kratos went after satan and the fallen angels instead, but dante's inferno kidna already went down into that realm

I personally would like to see an egyptian GOW just imagining Kratos vs. Anubis sounds epic

#19 Posted by AdobeArtist (22789 posts) -

Coolyfett

Kratos taking on Jormungandr, The World Serpent, would be one hell of a battle :D

Also if you like Norse mythology, you should play Tomb Raider Underworld, real cheap now too. Lara quests for Thor's hammer, Mjolnir. But the game takes its own twist, following up on Legend, that there's an ancient civilization predating all kown ones on earth, the source of a monomyth underlying the ones we know of, including Norse and the lore of Camelot. There's a common foundation which forged both Excalibur and Mjolnir. I won't get into any more details to avoid spoilers.

#20 Posted by BioDogshock (550 posts) -

[QUOTE="akbar13"]

dragonfly110

Unles kratos went after satan and the fallen angels instead, but dante's inferno kidna already went down into that realm

I personally would like to see an egyptian GOW just imagining Kratos vs. Anubis sounds epic

Christian mythology? It is only mythology from a perspective point of view. Since christianity is a widely accepted truth *unlike greek mythology* to use it from a "myth" perspective would cause riots (da vinco code) among the masses. Thus leading to worldwide bans on the game. Really, really stupid business move

Honestly. Would YOU sell a game that has you beating the **** out of jesus?

#21 Posted by Chemical_Viking (2145 posts) -

The problem with Christian mythology (or indeed, Jewish muslim hindu et al) is that it is such a charged and walking on eggshells environment. You simply can't have Kratos speaking or acting to the Christian god with the same disrespect or contempt he did the Greek gods. It would cause too much offence to too many. As an atheist this isn't a problem to me but to the publishers it will be.

You have to look to dead mythology. Like Roman, Norse, Egyptian. Roman gods were often just the same as their Grecian counterparts and Egyptian Gods should have been further back and so Norse is the best idea. Maybe with the assurgence of these new gods being witnessed by Kratos and his quiet discontent.

#22 Posted by dragonfly110 (27058 posts) -

[QUOTE="dragonfly110"]

[QUOTE="akbar13"]

BioDogshock

Christian mythology? It is only mythology from a perspective point of view. Since christianity is a widely accepted truth *unlike greek mythology* to use it from a "myth" perspective would cause riots (da vinco code) among the masses. Thus leading to worldwide bans on the game. Really, really stupid business move

simple, have Kratos lose. It'd be an interesting twist.

#23 Posted by BioDogshock (550 posts) -

[QUOTE="BioDogshock"]

[QUOTE="dragonfly110"]

dragonfly110

simple, have Kratos lose. It'd be an interesting twist.

Brilliant
#24 Posted by SenatorSpacer (26 posts) -

I rather they not bring back Kratos and instead introduce a new main character, I'm kinda' done with the whole I'm-angry-all-the-time teenager angst I-hate-my-daddy crap. Let's move on.

#25 Posted by akbar13 (2186 posts) -

[QUOTE="BioDogshock"]

rogerjak

Really?

Someone has been to the site that shall not be named and has the name posted up all over the forum for everybody to read.

#26 Posted by Rocky32189 (8996 posts) -

[QUOTE="dragonfly110"]

[QUOTE="akbar13"]

BioDogshock

Greek mythology was also a widely accepted truth at one point.
#27 Posted by Chemical_Viking (2145 posts) -

[QUOTE="BioDogshock"]

[QUOTE="dragonfly110"]

Rocky32189

Irrelevant. It isn't now. So you are unlikely to cause an international incident by having a character kick the living hell out of the most sacred characters in it, unlike Christianity.

#28 Posted by lettuceman44 (7971 posts) -
[QUOTE="BioDogshock"]

[QUOTE="dragonfly110"]

Rocky32189

Except its dead......... you seriously have to have to be dumb to make a game about killing any religion thats relevant to the world today. So no Buddhism, Hinduism, Jewish, Islam, Christianity, and then the smaller religions around. Really, I wouldn't even think its appropriate. Being a devoted christian myself, I can't see a game beating the heck outta the buddha, or attacking some Hindu god. It just wouldn't be right.
#29 Posted by sSubZerOo (43018 posts) -
I honestly thought the story of Kratos should have ended after the first game.. All it turned into is revenge part 1 and part 2 with the sequels..
#30 Posted by Sully28 (5097 posts) -

I found the article

"What David Jaffe talked about doing was — and I'm not sure how it would happen — basically, you destroy Greek mythology and then Norse mythology is right around the corner. That's the next thing that Kratos would go after. It becomes clear at the end that he's going to become this harbinger of death across different mythologies in the world and maybe carry the series on from there.

Cory Barlog talked about Kratos becoming Death. He pretty much becomes the Grim Reaper at the end of the game and his blades become sickles. They're both incredibly good ideas, but you need a director to be passionate about the story and understand it intimately. If I had used Dave or Cory's idea, I wouldn't have been as passionate about it."

http://playstationlife****net/2010/04/29/god-of-war-iiis-previous-directors-wanted-alternative-endings/

CajunShooter

Thats how they would have gone if they went with david jaffe's ending. If you remember at the end of God of War 1 it ended with a flash forward of kratoes being in all of these major battles throughout history. If they would have stuck with Jaffe's ending instead of disregarding it in GOW 2 the series could have went through different mythologies and historical events.

Either way i was happy with the direction GOW2 and 3 went, but it could have been a little cooler if they stuck with what Jaffe originally set up.

#31 Posted by WilliamRLBaker (28344 posts) -

Id not mind, Though they would have to think of something unique to run it.
Say something like when he kills the greek gods off the norse gods and people try moving in on things.

#32 Posted by IronBass (21208 posts) -
It's actually a good idea. Not that Kratos fights Norse gods, but that the next God of War takes place in the North nations dominated by the violent Norse Gods. Imagine what awesome environments + enemies SSM could create :o
#33 Posted by LegatoSkyheart (24632 posts) -

akbar13

I'm annoyed at people like you that think that Christainity is a Myth when it's been around longer than any other religion.

#34 Posted by RadecSupreme (4633 posts) -

[QUOTE="Rocky32189"][QUOTE="BioDogshock"] Christian mythology? It is only mythology from a perspective point of view. Since christianity is a widely accepted truth *unlike greek mythology* to use it from a "myth" perspective would cause riots (da vinco code) among the masses. Thus leading to worldwide bans on the game. Really, really stupid business move

Chemical_Viking

Irrelevant. It isn't now. So you are unlikely to cause an international incident by having a character kick the living hell out of the most sacred characters in it, unlike Christianity.

Whatever Kratos does, I am sure the romans did worse.

#35 Posted by IronBass (21208 posts) -
it's been around longer than any other religion.LegatoSkyheart
That, sir, is not true.
#36 Posted by tagyhag (15867 posts) -
Please don't let them butcher Norse Mythology. :(
#37 Posted by WilliamRLBaker (28344 posts) -

[QUOTE="akbar13"]

LegatoSkyheart

I'm annoyed at people like you that think that Christainity is a Myth when it's been around longer than any other religion.

thats completely false...Christian religion was created after christ died, it was based on the hebrew faith which is older but still not the oldest. if one goes from a scientific point of view the egyptian religion and such are far older, babalonian...ect

#38 Posted by sSubZerOo (43018 posts) -

[QUOTE="akbar13"]

LegatoSkyheart

man the ignorance.. And furthermore Christianity has some mythological stories in it.. Or do you think that Noah's Ark is truth?

#39 Posted by Chemical_Viking (2145 posts) -

[QUOTE="akbar13"]

LegatoSkyheart

It hasn't. It hasn't nearly. Judaism has been around a lot longer for starters. Hinduism is also older in it's origin too. And you might not like the term myth but the dividing line between what is myth and what is religion seems to be purely whether the person is a believer. Christianity asks people to believe in magic that happened thousands of years ago. That's mythology. It's not offensive to call it that, it just the way things are. If you were not a christian, and you looked at it objectively, it wouldn't seem like truth to you. That's mythology.

#40 Posted by Chemical_Viking (2145 posts) -

[QUOTE="LegatoSkyheart"]

[QUOTE="akbar13"]

sSubZerOo

man the ignorance.. And furthermore Christianity has some mythological stories in it.. Or do you think that Noah's Ark is truth?

Given that the tale originates in sumerian mythology and predates it's inclusion in the bible and the fact that it is physically impossible it has to be mythology doesn't it?

#41 Posted by Silverbond (16049 posts) -

[QUOTE="akbar13"]

LegatoSkyheart

Hinduism?

I'd be cool with seeing Kratos take on some Norse gods.

#42 Posted by xXDante666Xx (3102 posts) -

[QUOTE="dragonfly110"]

[QUOTE="akbar13"]

BioDogshock

Yes...yes I would. That is a really stupid question to ask when there are more Agnostic, Atheist, Muslim, Hindu, and Buddhist in the world than Christians could ever hope to obtain.

#43 Posted by dragonfly110 (27058 posts) -

[QUOTE="sSubZerOo"]

[QUOTE="LegatoSkyheart"]

Chemical_Viking

Given that the tale originates in sumerian mythology and predates it's inclusion in the bible and the fact that it is physically impossible it has to be mythology doesn't it?

thats the whole basis of the christian religion though (which I am a follower of, although I admit I am a skeptic) it is completely based on faith, the ability to have faithin the fact that god himself can cause physically impossible things to occur. it even states in the bible "if you even had faith the size of a mustard seed you would be able to move mountains"

#44 Posted by WilliamRLBaker (28344 posts) -

Okay guys we are completely off topic here and talking about religion now.

this is system wars.

#45 Posted by dragonfly110 (27058 posts) -

this is system wars.

WilliamRLBaker

well its kinda to be expected when talking about what religion you want Kratos to massacre next :P

#46 Posted by xXDante666Xx (3102 posts) -

[QUOTE="akbar13"]

LegatoSkyheart

Hinduism would REALLY like to have a word with you.

Christianity= Around 2010 years old. Hence the Before Christian Era and such.

Hinduism= Well over 6,000 years old. Because when it was officially established with a written language and such it was already a very old religion. There is no telling how old it actually is.

So this means that Hinduism at the very least is three times older than Christianity.

#47 Posted by Sky- (4632 posts) -

[QUOTE="WilliamRLBaker"]

this is system wars.

dragonfly110

well its kinda to be expected when talking about what religion you want Kratos to massacre next :P

lol =P

Interesting idea, TC. Perhaps they could also do Zoroastrianism. I know the Prince of Persia series takes a lot of influences from that religion and the Persian culture, and I think it turned out pretty well for them. It would be kind of funny to see Kratos ruin all of it. =P

#48 Posted by Shad0ki11 (12576 posts) -

I honestly thought the story of Kratos should have ended after the first game.. All it turned into is revenge part 1 and part 2 with the sequels.. sSubZerOo

I agree 110%.

The first god of war has a great story with a satisfying ending. The last two games are just a ****ed up goose chase.

#49 Posted by BioDogshock (550 posts) -

[QUOTE="LegatoSkyheart"]

[QUOTE="akbar13"]

sSubZerOo

http://www.foxnews.com/scitech/2010/04/27/noahs-ark-found-turkey-ararat/ http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/finding-noahs-ark-filmmaker-found-pieces-biblical-treausure/story?id=10495740
#50 Posted by Shad0ki11 (12576 posts) -

[QUOTE="akbar13"]

LegatoSkyheart

Judaism has been around longer than Christianity.

By the way, every religion has its own mythology. Christianity is no exception.