Kotaku: You Can No Longer Ignore The Wii U

#151 Posted by dobzilian (2490 posts) -

@osan0: Id say W101 out of all the games which I have played on the WiiU uses the Touch Screen I the Gamepad best. It has its flaws but its really awesome game.

#152 Edited by LegatoSkyheart (24605 posts) -

@Renegade_Fury said:

@LegatoSkyheart:

Better than the Saturn? I hope you're referring to sales, because otherwise that comes off to me as either a joke, or the thoughts of someone that knows nothing of the Saturn's library...

I was talking about Sales wise.

That sucker was such a flop back in the day. Who wanted it? I was more looking forward to the N64 or PS1. Sure it had the superior Fighting games, but that didn't matter in the end.

Nights or Star Fox? That was the real question there.

WiiU about a year ago was in that same boat. All these Promos and such to entice people to get a WiiU and it was all down to Mario or Knack? and People chose Knack.

Difference here is that WiiU found something that gathered people's attention, Mario Kart 8 and is bring compelling software later this year and onward in 2015. Saturn was just smothered by the competition.

#153 Posted by M8ingSeezun (1973 posts) -

STILL no thanks.

I'm primarily a 3rd party gamer, with some exclusives thrown in, and since Nintendo is not known to have a decent amount of 3rd party support, then no thanks. Despite having a decent E3 of the three, Nintendo exclusives can only do so much, after that, what else is there to play?

I'll probably give in (unlikely) when the console is at least $150....but even by then, PS4 will likely have a shit load of 3rd party games/indie games to keep me occupied.

Someone once said: "there was a time when gamers actually got away with having just an NES/SNES as their primary console." Sad to say, that's NEVER going to happen.

#154 Edited by Speak_Low (864 posts) -

Katuko asking us to drop $400-$500+ to play a handful of games (that 'vast' Wii U library) is still asking a lot.

It's not just $200/$250 or $300 just to "jump in" the Wii U pool. You'll need to add a few other retail games on top of that price, just like with any other console. Unless one plans to just buy Mario Kart 8 and play that and Nintendo Land and call it a generation.

No one is ignoring what has been very easy to see these past twenty months. It's not like they lifted a veil from our eyes. We all knew what Wii U games were coming out. And telling us to ignore the fact that third-party ain't the greatest (that's an understatement) and that it has the weakest future (and hardware) of the three next-gen consoles is also asking millions of consumers to surrender quite a lot. For them, a console's future, third-party support, number of multiplayer games, upgraded visuals and simple hourly usage vs. value have always been high on the list of importance.

I'm sure most people here could take a little money out from their vacation savings and buy a Wii U now, but they also could've done that a long time ago too. I don't even think that people are resistant because of the price anyways. I know those Nintendo games seem to be the greatest things to many Nintendo fans but they'll have to accept the fact that millions just aren't that excited for them (Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze, Wonderful 101, SM3DW and ZombiU have been out a long while now and they still don't get people moving).

$300-$500+ not spent is also $300-$500+ judiciously saved for more next-gen games like Arkham Knight, Dragon Age 3, Evolve, Rainbow Six, AC Unity and even GTA V/TLOU Remastered

#155 Posted by CleanPlayer (9775 posts) -

As someone who owns a Wii U, wait till Monolith's game or SSB comes out. Then IT WILL BE WORTH IT

#156 Posted by Renegade_Fury (17026 posts) -

@Renegade_Fury said:

@LegatoSkyheart:

Better than the Saturn? I hope you're referring to sales, because otherwise that comes off to me as either a joke, or the thoughts of someone that knows nothing of the Saturn's library...

I was talking about Sales wise.

That sucker was such a flop back in the day. Who wanted it? I was more looking forward to the N64 or PS1. Sure it had the superior Fighting games, but that didn't matter in the end.

Nights or Star Fox? That was the real question there.

WiiU about a year ago was in that same boat. All these Promos and such to entice people to get a WiiU and it was all down to Mario or Knack? and People chose Knack.

Difference here is that WiiU found something that gathered people's attention, Mario Kart 8 and is bring compelling software later this year and onward in 2015. Saturn was just smothered by the competition.

Well it was more like 3D gaming becoming mainstream, it being a difficult console to develop for, SEGA pissing off EA, and all while carrying a crazy price tag of $400 that did the system in. Anyway, yeah, I'll agree that the Wii U's image has improved and that will save it from being a total dud. As far as software quality and quantity goes, however, I still don't see any improvement in the immediate future. Their conference, like everyone else's, was about 2015 and beyond, with only Super Smash being their AAA seller this fall.

#157 Posted by Solid_Link22 (5593 posts) -

I've ignored it pretty good so far

#158 Edited by edwardecl (1998 posts) -

It's hard to ignore its sales...

#159 Edited by locopatho (20131 posts) -

Such a pile of words for such a simple point:

It's just another Nintendo console. It has some great exclusive Nintendo games. If you want to play these games, get one. Otherwise, forget it.

All the mealy mouthed waffle about "can't ignore it!" is silly. Of course you can. You'll only miss a fraction of the great games out there if you do. I didn't want to miss them, so I got one. But all my gamer friends either don't care for, or can do without Ninty exclusives, and are easily ignoring it.

(Some friends will probably borrow my WiiU and games at some point. I'll have plenty of months out of the year when it's suffering droughts and I'm playing other systems)

#160 Posted by m_machine024 (14852 posts) -

Yeah personally I think it has a good library and good looking upcoming games but if you're not into Nintendo games at all, it's a tough sell.

#161 Posted by no-scope-AK47 (2683 posts) -

Obviously unless you can't live without a couple of nintendo exclusives you can ignore it or it would sell much better. It is even the cheapest next gen console. It has BC and even free online gaming but obviously the market does not find the wii u hard to ignore.

#162 Posted by superbuuman (2607 posts) -

You can if you're not into Nintendo games..heck even if you're into some Nintendo games you can still ignore it & wait till the end of its life when price drop - all the games will be out & you can get the ones you like instead of waiting - game droughts. Face its a system that's gonna have long period game droughts. :P

#163 Posted by hiphops_savior (7827 posts) -

@Desmonic said:

@bbkkristian said:

ITT: people trying to defend their PS4/X1 purchases by finding excuses to put down the Wii U.

More like the other way around really lol

Spending 500 bucks on Wii U+games is a big investment. Then again, so is spending 500 plus on the PS4 and games.

One other thing, you are not going to just buy one console and be done with it, especially on this forum. I assume you have a PC you can use for Steam, right?

#164 Posted by ohgeez (910 posts) -

Meh, even though it has a slightly more interesting library than the ps4 and xbone, that will change pretty quickly.

I tire of the same old IPs over and over again. I've played every super mario, mario kart, smash, and zelda game. These games are no longer must-buys to me. They just feel like really expensive dlc. If they get something new and interesting, maybe i'll start paying attention to nintendo again.

#165 Posted by nintendoboy16 (26118 posts) -

I wouldn't even touch the Wii U until late 2015. Wii U looks like it will have 5-7 big titles next year and Nintendo will blow their gaming load followed by a massive drought for a year or two. It seems very similar to the Wii's 2010 great line-up and then there was nothing to play after that. Right now the console only has about 5 games worth playing if that.

Well, considering you're one of those who beg for their games to be third party, why bother getting one at all?

#166 Posted by santoron (7636 posts) -

@super600 said:

Every single time nintendo has been successful they created a console or handheld that was simple, easy to understand and appealing to a wider audience.Every single time they tried to create a console that tried to appeal to a more core audience they failed miserably and alienated the causals and the audience that bought that console shrunk. There were other issues with the N64,the Gamecube, the SNES(to an extent) and now the WiiU that prevented them from being successful. The only way for nintendo to be successful again is re use there blue ocean strategy from the Wii/DS days,. They shouldn't have to create another Wii to do this, but they should use the same general ideas that propelled the Wii,DS and the NES to success.The biggest obstacle with nintendo going third party is the amount of profits they will make and the amount of software that can be produced.Licensing fees will increase the amount of software they will have to sell to break even.Nintendo may also take less risk and all you will see is nintendo releasing games like Mario, Zelda and some of there bigger sellers only.Also, nintendo's company structure is mostly built for software development especially now since there hardware and software teams are working together.

Just because the only way Nintendo has ever been successful is doing things one way doesn't mean they can't be successful going another. Maybe Nintendo has had bad luck/a rough go of it/learned life lessons/what have you, I don't know. It's a tough sell that the next one will be better considering the past couple decades, especially hoping for another Wii.

I discussed the sales Nintendo would have to gain from such a move to become a smart one, and that we've seen tremendous potential appetite exists for Nintendo software. A ~20% gain in sales would be easy on the two consoles just released. Already. Because they have twice the audience already and are exploding in relation to the install base Nintendo will reach with its own console.

I don't buy the argument that Nintendo would take less risk as a third party developer because of the license fee at all. If anything I'd say Nintendo would be more likely to play safe on a poor selling system. Why? Because on a machine like the WiiU they have to generate an insane attach rate from their meager base to get even OK sales. MK8 cleared 2 million in a couple days, which means they had to get more than 1/4 of all WiiU owners to buy it immediately. Awesome, but also a huge feat. Consider the same with the combined install bases of the 360 and PS3. At half that attach rate they're selling over 20 million units, and we know from MarioKart's history those numbers aren't beyond reach. If there was ever a market that could scare Nintendo off of smaller titles it's the one they created for themselves. So don't worry about that.

#167 Posted by RossRichard (2330 posts) -

I was going to type in a reply, but this video says it best. As long as Nintendo keeps making the same games we played decades ago, there is no good reason to get a Wii U.

#168 Edited by Jynxzor (9293 posts) -

Sorry what was that? I was gazing at my WiiU in the distance trying to remember the last time I used it for anything other than when I can't find my TV remote.

#169 Posted by Ballroompirate (22269 posts) -

@Desmonic said:

@bbkkristian said:

ITT: people trying to defend their PS4/X1 purchases by finding excuses to put down the Wii U.

Have to agree with Des on that one. There is seriously no reason to buy a Wii-U atm unless you're a die hard Mario fan. Zombiu is alright but it's not a game that I will shell out money for a console, nether Pikmin 3 has that affect ether.

#170 Posted by 93BlackHawk93 (5201 posts) -

I love how many people bash the Wii U for not being different than the Wii yet praise PS4 with its DS4.

#171 Posted by 93BlackHawk93 (5201 posts) -

@Desmonic said:

@bbkkristian said:

Can't see how really, considering the Wii U DOES have great games to play...

#172 Posted by MirkoS77 (7015 posts) -

I've no complaints with my system, even though I've not touched it since Pikmin 3 (though that is the best "next-gen" game I've yet to play). But the fact remains, you're buying a Wii U to play Nintendo games. Even at the price it's at now and even if they dropped it, it's still a lot to ask to be so limited. Assuming of course it's your only system which I doubt people that'd buy one don't own at least one other next-gen console or a gaming PC.

I'm content with the Wii U, but only in terms of the familiar. My expectations don't extend past Nintendo pumping out what we've been playing over and over with the once-in-a-great-while low budget experimental endevour, and I've resigned myself to that fact. A lot of the excitement that I used to gain from supporting Nintendo is gone because so much of what they offer is so predictable, quality though it may be.

#173 Edited by super600 (30143 posts) -

@santoron said:

@super600 said:

Every single time nintendo has been successful they created a console or handheld that was simple, easy to understand and appealing to a wider audience.Every single time they tried to create a console that tried to appeal to a more core audience they failed miserably and alienated the causals and the audience that bought that console shrunk. There were other issues with the N64,the Gamecube, the SNES(to an extent) and now the WiiU that prevented them from being successful. The only way for nintendo to be successful again is re use there blue ocean strategy from the Wii/DS days,. They shouldn't have to create another Wii to do this, but they should use the same general ideas that propelled the Wii,DS and the NES to success.The biggest obstacle with nintendo going third party is the amount of profits they will make and the amount of software that can be produced.Licensing fees will increase the amount of software they will have to sell to break even.Nintendo may also take less risk and all you will see is nintendo releasing games like Mario, Zelda and some of there bigger sellers only.Also, nintendo's company structure is mostly built for software development especially now since there hardware and software teams are working together.

Just because the only way Nintendo has ever been successful is doing things one way doesn't mean they can't be successful going another. Maybe Nintendo has had bad luck/a rough go of it/learned life lessons/what have you, I don't know. It's a tough sell that the next one will be better considering the past couple decades, especially hoping for another Wii.

I discussed the sales Nintendo would have to gain from such a move to become a smart one, and that we've seen tremendous potential appetite exists for Nintendo software. A ~20% gain in sales would be easy on the two consoles just released. Already. Because they have twice the audience already and are exploding in relation to the install base Nintendo will reach with its own console.

I don't buy the argument that Nintendo would take less risk as a third party developer because of the license fee at all. If anything I'd say Nintendo would be more likely to play safe on a poor selling system. Why? Because on a machine like the WiiU they have to generate an insane attach rate from their meager base to get even OK sales. MK8 cleared 2 million in a couple days, which means they had to get more than 1/4 of all WiiU owners to buy it immediately. Awesome, but also a huge feat. Consider the same with the combined install bases of the 360 and PS3. At half that attach rate they're selling over 20 million units, and we know from MarioKart's history those numbers aren't beyond reach. If there was ever a market that could scare Nintendo off of smaller titles it's the one they created for themselves. So don't worry about that.

I don't think they should create another Wii, but I do think they should use some of the general principles they used when designing the Wii and DS to appeal to a wider audience again. They should try to make there next console and handheld the cool thing to own for these audiences without forgeting to appeal to these audiences after x period of time which happened with the Wii to an extent right around 2010 until the WiiiU released.I don't think they are to worried about the leaving the console industry yet since they know they are not in panic mode yet and they know the mistakes they made with the WiiU.They won;t go third party in the future because they have no need to yet. I don't even think they care a lot about appealing to the core gamer right now because they do have data that shows that they lost a huge chunk of the children/female audiences to platforms like mobile phones so they will have to find a way to get those audiences back. I do think they should make the online and media features better for their consoles, but other then that I don't think they should get into a tech war with sony or ms because it won't really help them appeal to the audiences they want to appeal to with products like there next console and handheld.They are currently trying to find ways to increase their softwarre output and they also merged their hardware and software teams in one building recently because they know that they are struggling to to create software quickly enough and the hardware and nintendo also had trouble creating software that fit the hardware they created recently . We won't see the effects of this until there next console and handheld.

#174 Edited by AdrianWerner (27960 posts) -

Thank you, but no.

I will pick it up once it drops to 100-150 dollars

#176 Edited by HalcyonScarlet (3960 posts) -

I can't disagree. The PC and Wii U is the perfect combo. The X1 and PS4 are a waste right now.

-

@scottpsfan14 said:
@charizard1605 said:
@scottpsfan14 said:

Wii U is a fucking disaster. Deal with it.

Right. When you grow up and can have an actual articulate discussion, come back and talk to me.

Right. An articulate discussion about the Wii U. Hmm, lets see... Well, what do we have here? A weak system that won't be able to handle multiplats in the next year. Games will start being built for the next gen hardware only and the PS3/360/Wii U will not be able to load the content. Just like what happened to the Wii. When PS2/XBOX/GC multiplat games stopped being made, the Wii stopped getting multiplats as it could only handle 6th gen graphics.

That aside, we now have their ever so amazing software. Mario Kart 8 basically doing exactly the same thing as Mario Kart 64 with 'anti gravity'. What makes it inherently superior to Sonic & SEGA All-Stars Racing Transformed? The rest have been rehashes of Super Mario Bros 3 in 3D. The only long awaited sequal being Pikmin 3. Oh and Bayonetta 2. Now this is automatically the best thing ever to Sheep. Just because it's Nintendo.

The Wii U, as a system, is a fucking failure. Just like the Gamecube. Even the N64 when compared to the competition. Sales isn't everything, but wouldn't we all be better off if Nintendo just swallowed their pride and dropped console making, and just made games for PS4/XB1? Logically, that would be the more sensible thing to do as they are more powerful and have more possibilities for graphics and content. We would all win, apart from crying sheep of course. Is Mario unplayable on a Dualshock 4? I imagine not.

Nintendo are irrelevant in the home console buisness. Deal with it.

Multiplats it won't get. 3rd party games it can get. There's a difference there. But since more and more of those multiplats are going to the PC, I care less about them on other consoles. Nintendo do need to repair their relationship with EA though.

Also I can forgive the weaker hardware for two reasons. The first is that Nintendo never made claims as to how powerful it would be so I'm not disappointed, in fact sometimes I'm more pleasantly surprised. The second is that Sony and MS did and they turned out to have shitty hardware themselves with a lot of games looking more 7.5 gen then 8th gen. The inadequacies of the other consoles makes the Wii Us abilities easier to accept for me.

#177 Posted by donalbane (16180 posts) -

Watch me.

#178 Posted by shawn30 (4364 posts) -

I love the Bayonetta games, but can't justify buying a whole console for one game. And by the time Zelda debuts next year I expect another hefty Wii-U price cut and will buy one, beat Zelda, sell it then, lol. This system won't have bigname multiplats and barely looks equal to the 360 I already own. If it werent for Zelda I wouldn't give a look to the Wii-U.

#179 Edited by FlamesOfGrey (7463 posts) -

@nintendoboy16 said:

@FlamesOfGrey said:

I wouldn't even touch the Wii U until late 2015. Wii U looks like it will have 5-7 big titles next year and Nintendo will blow their gaming load followed by a massive drought for a year or two. It seems very similar to the Wii's 2010 great line-up and then there was nothing to play after that. Right now the console only has about 5 games worth playing if that.

Well, considering you're one of those who beg for their games to be third party, why bother getting one at all?

You must have your posters mixed up since I've never asked for Nintendo to go 3rd Party. Only Nintendo franchise I enjoyed was Fire Emblem and after that casual POS Awakening, Nintendo can go out of business and take their milked franchises with them.

#180 Edited by Pikminmaniac (8703 posts) -

@RossRichard said:

I was going to type in a reply, but this video says it best. As long as Nintendo keeps making the same games we played decades ago, there is no good reason to get a Wii U.

There is a monstrous amount of ignorance from you and the person who made that video... You can gloss over any game and make it seem like a rehash.

Let's just simplify every game to its basest components and ignore every change that was made over the past 25 years. A franchise has to retain some level of resemblance to be considered a part of a franchise

-Mario World plays entirely diferent than 64 (completely got rid of linearity and let you explore in every 3D direction), which was completely transformed by sunshine (added a plethora of fludd mechanics that allowed you to interact with the world in a plethora of new ways), which was redefined by Galaxy (using gravity and a plethora of new ideas and mechanics to create a couple of the most creative platformers ever made), which was transformed again by the 3D games (turning things back abit to create one of the purist transitions from 2D mario to 3D mario with new game mechanics and a different level focus.

instead this guy simplifies mario to two elements: stomping on goombas and using power ups... It's a straw man argument and its weak.

And did you see how horribly he glossed over a Link Between worlds? He only mentions what's the same and doesn't mention how it's the biggest shake up to the Zelda formula in over a decade. He doesn't mention anything about the item renting system or the complete freedom in which you can complete the entire game in any order you wish. A completely open Zelda with minimal to no hand holding. Again, he employs a straw man argument.

The fact that you think this video says anything well is a poor reflection on you.

You are not aware of what Nintendo's been doing over the past decade. You're just making conclusions off of the vague form of what Nintendo's been doing over the past decade.

#181 Posted by nintendoboy16 (26118 posts) -

You must have your posters mixed up since I've never asked for Nintendo to go 3rd Party. Only Nintendo franchise I enjoyed was Fire Emblem and after that casual POS Awakening, Nintendo can go out of business and take their milked franchises with them.

I recall you saying months ago saying it was for the best, even using the most typical "so I'd buy less consoles" reason.

Oh and by the way, if you really want Nintendo to go out of business just because FE: Awakening left a bad taste in your mouth, why did you state THIS in that same quote?

"I wouldn't even touch the Wii U until late 2015. Wii U looks like it will have 5-7 big titles next year and Nintendo will blow their gaming load followed by a massive drought for a year or two. It seems very similar to the Wii's 2010 great line-up and then there was nothing to play after that. Right now the console only has about 5 games worth playing if that."

Yeah, something tells me you shouldn't be saying stuff like that if you really want them dead for, at least in YOUR perspective, "ruining" your once favorite Nintendo IP.

#182 Posted by fabz_95 (15424 posts) -

It has more games that interest me than the other systems but I don't think I could ever buy one as a primary system, makes a great secondary console though.

#183 Edited by hiphops_savior (7827 posts) -

@fabz_95: Do you have a PC? Steam has some excellent games that the PS4 won't even dream of having. Of course, you're out of luck if you want a baseball game.

#184 Edited by FlamesOfGrey (7463 posts) -

@nintendoboy16 said:

@FlamesOfGrey said:

I recall you saying months ago saying it was for the best, even using the most typical "so I'd buy less consoles" reason.

Oh and by the way, if you really want Nintendo to go out of business just because FE: Awakening left a bad taste in your mouth, why did you state THIS in that same quote?

"I wouldn't even touch the Wii U until late 2015. Wii U looks like it will have 5-7 big titles next year and Nintendo will blow their gaming load followed by a massive drought for a year or two. It seems very similar to the Wii's 2010 great line-up and then there was nothing to play after that. Right now the console only has about 5 games worth playing if that."

Yeah, something tells me you shouldn't be saying stuff like that if you really want them dead for, at least in YOUR perspective, "ruining" your once favorite Nintendo IP.

My point was Nintendo could go out of business and I wouldn't care because after FE: Awakening killed my interest in the only Nintendo franchise I liked I have no interest in anything from their IP's or studios. I don't wish they'd go out of business just because they made a crappy game in a series I valued highly.

The part you quoted was my advise to people who are considering buying the Wii U. I already own a Wii U (I also had the system pre-ordered way before it came out so no, I didn't buy it even though I now think it sucks. I was looking forward to it at that point and it failed my expectations).

Also, I don't know how you think my saying Nintendo going 3rd Party would be for the best equals me begging for their games (especially when I own their systems which would null that point.) or asking for it. It would be the best choice for a lot of gamers who won't buy a Nintendo console for one or two games they'd like to play. It might even be better for Nintendo in the long run with how their consoles are going to sell unless they gimmick up another Wii.

#185 Posted by PurpleMan5000 (6874 posts) -

Katuko asking us to drop $400-$500+ to play a handful of games (that 'vast' Wii U library) is still asking a lot.

It's not just $200/$250 or $300 just to "jump in" the Wii U pool. You'll need to add a few other retail games on top of that price, just like with any other console. Unless one plans to just buy Mario Kart 8 and play that and Nintendo Land and call it a generation.

No one is ignoring what has been very easy to see these past twenty months. It's not like they lifted a veil from our eyes. We all knew what Wii U games were coming out. And telling us to ignore the fact that third-party ain't the greatest (that's an understatement) and that it has the weakest future (and hardware) of the three next-gen consoles is also asking millions of consumers to surrender quite a lot. For them, a console's future, third-party support, number of multiplayer games, upgraded visuals and simple hourly usage vs. value have always been high on the list of importance.

I'm sure most people here could take a little money out from their vacation savings and buy a Wii U now, but they also could've done that a long time ago too. I don't even think that people are resistant because of the price anyways. I know those Nintendo games seem to be the greatest things to many Nintendo fans but they'll have to accept the fact that millions just aren't that excited for them (Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze, Wonderful 101, SM3DW and ZombiU have been out a long while now and they still don't get people moving).

$300-$500+ not spent is also $300-$500+ judiciously saved for more next-gen games like Arkham Knight, Dragon Age 3, Evolve, Rainbow Six, AC Unity and even GTA V/TLOU Remastered

How many games are "a few"? You get Nintendo Land with the $200 refurb. If you buy Mario Kart, that also comes with a choice of another game. So $260 gets you a Wii U, 3 games, and online play. I agree that the Wii U is a pretty expensive device if you go get all of the good games for it at full price, but that is only because there are so many good games to buy.

#186 Posted by XenogearsMaster (3099 posts) -

I'll buy it once it's $100 and the games are like $10 each.

#187 Posted by KHAndAnime (13298 posts) -

I can no longer ignore the Wii U because it has more of the same games from the same IP that has been around forever?

Fuck off Kotaku. Get some standards and stop shit-shoveling.

#188 Posted by EducatingU_PCMR (537 posts) -

ROFL who wouldn't ignore that overpriced piece of shit that only plays rehashes.

Nintendo injecting some money to Loltaku I see.

#189 Posted by carljohnson3456 (12349 posts) -

I want a Wii U, but it's the freaking Gamepad. That is the controller. A cheap tablet. I wish they just went with a traditional controller and it would have cut the costs of the system as well as knocked off the gamepad gimmick.

I want a Wii U. I like Nintendo. I just wish they'd get their freaking NETWORK in some sort of shape (hell maybe they've fixed it since last gen).

#190 Posted by carljohnson3456 (12349 posts) -

@charizard1605 said:

@Wasdie said:

Yes I can, and I will continue until the 32 gb version of the WiiU is roughly $200.

Knock yourself out.

So you want people to buy defective equipment that is checked by people who don't even work for Nintendo?

That's what I'm saying. Anything refurbished is cheap. This isnt a "deal" IMO.

#191 Posted by jdog8888888 (504 posts) -

At my house, we have the TV on, and usually 1 person on an iPad and another on their phone. Now the TV is on, the gamepad is out. I definitely lose out on the AAAA titles, but they rarely are as much fun as playing Super Mario with my gf. Online Mario Kart 8 with my friends is pretty awesome too. The virtual console for all the Nintendo games of yesterday is also a nice touch.

I hear a lot about price... I bought a Wii U, 2 Wii motes and had 6 games for the price of a Kinnect'd Xbox. It is a cheaper first or second system than the other two options.

#192 Posted by Gue1 (9418 posts) -

good luck with that because nintendo games hardly ever drop in price. In fact, after a while people start selling them for over a $100. Zelda Twilight Princess now costs like $200 and it never goes down because people are stupid enough to buy it.

#193 Posted by MirkoS77 (7015 posts) -

I want a Wii U, but it's the freaking Gamepad. That is the controller. A cheap tablet. I wish they just went with a traditional controller and it would have cut the costs of the system as well as knocked off the gamepad gimmick.

I want a Wii U. I like Nintendo. I just wish they'd get their freaking NETWORK in some sort of shape (hell maybe they've fixed it since last gen).

Y'know, I was a bit hesitant about the Gamepad and held a similar sentiment before I got my U. Turns out I really like it. I always liked the DS's use of two screens, but was afraid since the U's screen and the TV screen were so removed it'd become a hassle, but it works out really well. And off-TV play is great, though the range is shit. Plus, the battery leaves something to be desired. All in all though, Iwata was right about this: you have to use it to see the appeal.

#194 Posted by tormentos (16785 posts) -

Yes we can i am doing it right now..haha

#195 Posted by santoron (7636 posts) -

@Gue1 said:

@XenogearsMaster said:

good luck with that because nintendo games hardly ever drop in price. In fact, after a while people start selling them for over a $100. Zelda Twilight Princess now costs like $200 and it never goes down because people are stupid enough to buy it.

lol no. You can get it from eBay "Buy it Now" for 14 bucks, or Amazon for less than 40.

You meant the Gamecube version? Grab this one shipped for less than $60, and if you don't need the manual I saw copies on eBay for under $50. These guys even appear to even be selling new copies for $60.

You're right that Nintendo are complete asshats when it comes to pricing their software over time, but once the console and games go legacy, they'll hit the prices he's asking for, just like every other Nintendo system. It's how I replaced my SNES (stolen) and N64 (let brother keep) collections.

#196 Posted by bunchanumbers (291 posts) -

Buy a Wii U. Buy everything Wii U you can find. Buy every official peripheral you can get your hands on. Spend as much as humanly possible on Wii U. And if you have the patience of god don't open them. I guarantee you that 10 years from now that many of those items will become collectors items with incredibly high prices.

#197 Posted by Master_Of_Fools (1306 posts) -
#198 Posted by TrappedInABox91 (490 posts) -

@bunchanumbers: . I guarantee you that 10 years from now, you're still going be a moron. Maybe if it is 25 years old, but I know you're being smart.

#199 Posted by fgjnfgh (2627 posts) -

It's a great system and pad is sick.

#200 Posted by Bigboi500 (29139 posts) -

Yep, people tend to hate the pad until they play it. Playing GBA and NES/SNES games off screen is fantastic.