Kotaku: What Nintendo is doing right.

• 85 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 14

#1 nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41527 Posts

Link

TL; DR list (read why in the link):

1. They're making some new characters

2. They're making fun original games

3. They are working with bright (Japanese) Indie developers

4. They are running an interesting online service

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#4 freedomfreak
Member since 2004 • 52426 Posts

Miiverse?

Miiverse is the worst.

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#5  Edited By SolidTy
Member since 2005 • 49991 Posts

I don't agree with point 4 at all, in any form. I dislike this kotaku writer though, I usually don't agree with him because he doesn't do a lot of research in his pieces. He failed even in this article claiming and then revising the online portion of his article. Nintendo's online approach is ass backwards from Digital distribution to online gaming to hardware microphone support to Miiverse. Their notion to keep DD games linked to hardware instead of an account keep me and legions of other Nintendo fans from ever buying DD games with Nintendo.

I do support their physical games in a big way though.

As a launch owner of two Wii Us, I can back the first three options.

Blabadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By Blabadon
Member since 2008 • 33030 Posts

@freedomfreak: The Wii U version of it? I know I felt stupid being excited about the 3DS version.

It seemed perfect, a system that's handheld, can connect online, has a stylus, and over 40 million users, but Nintendo complete half-assed it there.

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 freedomfreak
@Blabadon said:

The Wii U version of it? I know I felt stupid being excited about the 3DS version.

It seemed perfect, a system that's handheld, can connect online, has a stylus, and over 40 million users, but Nintendo complete half-assed it there.

Both. It's pretty much the same on 3DS and WiiU. The concept is great, but it's completely messed up due to Nintendo's incompetence.

Boddicker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#8 Boddicker
Member since 2012 • 4458 Posts

@scottpsfan14 said:

Sphensen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Sphensen
Member since 2012 • 1176 Posts

@scottpsfan14 said:

Haha. Nah, to be fair, it's really a shame Nintendo are what they are now. I wish they just went the Gamecube route by making a console with power. Yes, the Gamecube failed, but that was because they decided to go with non standard discs and many developers didn't what to waste time cutting down game assets to fit the 1.4GB discs. As PS2 and Xbox discs were 4.5GB. The 'Nintendo Revolution' is what should be released already. With better specs than the PS4 and a redesign of the Gamecube controller. And a memorable console boot up animation like the PS1, PS2 and Gamecube had. A massive Mario game called 'Super Mario Revolution'. The true successor to Mario 64. An epic adventure. Not just a 3D version of Super Mario Bros like Super Mario 3D World is. 3rd party support. SNES days Nintendo essentially. You Nintendo fanboys know this is what Nintendo should have done. It's what you all wanted deep down. Wii U kills me as a Nintendo fan. Even Wii did. But Wii had something going for it with motion controls being a new thing at least.

this guy gets it

Blabadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Blabadon

@freedomfreak said:
@Blabadon said:

The Wii U version of it? I know I felt stupid being excited about the 3DS version.

Both. It's pretty much the same on 3DS and WiiU. The concept is great, but it's completely messed up due to Nintendo's incompetence.

Goddamn den mother mentality.

How's the multitasking on the Wii U and the general speed on getting to Miiverse from a game? I nearly made a cup of tea in the time it takes accessing the 3DS' version.

Ballroompirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#11  Edited By Ballroompirate
Member since 2005 • 26695 Posts

I disagree on all accounts, the only thing that Nintendo has done right at least in my eyes in the last 14 years is the LoZ games and their Hand Helds (DS and 3DS).

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By freedomfreak
@Blabadon said:

How's the multitasking on the Wii U and the general speed on getting to Miiverse from a game? I nearly made a cup of tea in the time it takes accessing the 3DS' version.

It's slow. At least last time I checked. It's not smooth in any way, and it needs to load in properly.

I stopped using Miiverse for that reason. You really have to go out of your way for it.
And yeah, it's slow as hell on the 3DS.

Blabadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Blabadon

@freedomfreak said:

@Blabadon said:

It's slow. At least last time I checked. It's not smooth in any way, and it needs to load in properly.

I stopped using Miiverse for that reason. You really have to go out of your way for it.

And yeah, it's slow as hell on the 3DS.

Bummer. Alright, thanks for the info. It's a complete stupid how the one console with potentially great ideas as being something other than a watered-down PC (and you know I'm not part of the insulting consoles crowds, but let's be honest) is handled by such a stupid company.

Blabadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Blabadon

@scottpsfan14: Why thank you, I'd like to think most people agree with you on their general opinion of me.

And yes, The Police are awesome. God only knows if a few egos didn't boil over here or there and they might have lasted past seven years.

aroxx_ab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#17 aroxx_ab
Member since 2005 • 13236 Posts

@nintendoboy16 said:

Whaaaat?

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60712 Posts

But Nintendo is racist and homophobic.

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By freedomfreak
@Blabadon said:

Bummer. Alright, thanks for the info. It's a complete stupid how the one console with potentially great ideas as being something other than a watered-down PC (and you know I'm not part of the insulting consoles crowds, but let's be honest) is handled by such a stupid company.

Yeah, you're not wrong. It is a cool console, but with Nintendo at the helm... Well, speaks for itself.

GamingGod999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 GamingGod999
Member since 2011 • 3135 Posts

@scottpsfan14 said:

no-scope-AK47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By no-scope-AK47
Member since 2012 • 3755 Posts

You could give the wii u to Sony and the ps4 to Nintendo and Sony would make the wii u work and nintendo would destroy they ps4. We have seen that Sony rarely has the best hardware but they always bring the games and exclusives. Now Sony even has equal online gaming and has MS emulating them.

So it's great to say if nintendo had better hardware but the truth is they seem to invent ways to **** up. The major problem is nintendo is very slow to react to changes in the market place. They have plan A and no plan B. If plan A does not work they make excuses not changes.

FireEmblem_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#23  Edited By FireEmblem_Man
Member since 2004 • 20248 Posts

@scottpsfan14 said:

Haha. Nah, to be fair, it's really a shame Nintendo are what they are now. I wish they just went the Gamecube route by making a console with power. Yes, the Gamecube failed, but that was because they decided to go with non standard discs and many developers didn't what to waste time cutting down game assets to fit the 1.4GB discs. As PS2 and Xbox discs were 4.5GB. The 'Nintendo Revolution' is what should be released already. With better specs than the PS4 and a redesign of the Gamecube controller. And a memorable console boot up animation like the PS1, PS2 and Gamecube had. A massive Mario game called 'Super Mario Revolution'. The true successor to Mario 64. An epic adventure. Not just a 3D version of Super Mario Bros like Super Mario 3D World is. 3rd party support. SNES days Nintendo essentially. You Nintendo fanboys know this is what Nintendo should have done. It's what you all wanted deep down. Wii U kills me as a Nintendo fan. Even Wii did. But Wii had something going for it with motion controls being a new thing at least.

The Wii U is a Gamecube

finalfantasy94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By finalfantasy94
Member since 2004 • 27442 Posts

They made new characters?

Kaze_no_Mirai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Kaze_no_Mirai
Member since 2004 • 11763 Posts

@finalfantasy94: Not many but yes. Denpa Men, Dillon, Malo, Rusty. I'm sure there are a few others.

no-scope-AK47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 no-scope-AK47
Member since 2012 • 3755 Posts

@scottpsfan14 said:
@FireEmblem_Man said:

The Wii U is a Gamecube

Nope, No it isn't. The only similarity it had was.. ehh ....ermm... nothing. Gamecube had the best GPU and nearly the best processor of the 6th gen. I described in my post what would have been a winner for nintendo. Do you disagree? Or are you a sheep that blindly just accepts Nintendo as a second rate console developer? They should have made 'The Nintendo Revolution'. Would have brought all faith back to nintendo.

The problem is not the hardware it's Nintendo and their frankly moronic choices. They seem to do things just to be the odd man out. They historically have issues with storage and using standard features. They also change controllers almost every gen. The biggest problems are they don't go out of their way to get 3rd party support and their online is frankly horrible. You don't have to have the best hardware to get 3rd party support and have a decent online gaming network.

super600

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#28 super600  Moderator
Member since 2007 • 33103 Posts

@scottpsfan14 said:
@FireEmblem_Man said:

The Wii U is a Gamecube

Nope, No it isn't. The only similarity it had was.. ehh ....ermm... nothing. Gamecube had the best GPU and nearly the best processor of the 6th gen. I described in my post what would have been a winner for nintendo. Do you disagree? Or are you a sheep that blindly just accepts Nintendo as a second rate console developer? They should have made 'The Nintendo Revolution'. Would have brought all faith back to nintendo.

To an extent the WiiU is actually like the gamecube. Both consoles have targeted older audiences(AKA the older hardcore nintendo fans), but the WiiU attempted to target the casuals to, but that has failed so far.

Gue1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#29 Gue1
Member since 2004 • 12171 Posts

@scottpsfan14 said:

lol

Blabadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Blabadon

@scottpsfan14 said:

@Blabadon said:

@scottpsfan14: Why thank you, I'd like to think most people agree with you on their general opinion of me.

And yes, The Police are awesome. God only knows if a few egos didn't boil over here or there and they might have lasted past seven years.

They are actually the coolest people in the world. While Sting gets on my nerves at times, he is one talented MF. Stewart Copeland is just amazing. Too good. He made the music for Spyro games on PS1. And Big Andy of course is a genious. Message in a bottle being their absolute top imo. Perfect drum beat, guitar riff, vocal melody, just perfect.

I think, per capita, they were the greatest band ever. Out of the 54 songs they released (to my knowledge), a huge amount of them are classics.

Message in a Bottle is just so, so good. Classic Sting going full English on us is so nice in that song. I'd say their absolute best song usually depends on my mood, but King of Pain is the one I'd go to most often if I had a gun to my head.

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#32  Edited By MirkoS77
Member since 2011 • 17657 Posts

@nintendoboy16 said:

Link

TL; DR list (read why in the link):

1. They're making some new characters

2. They're making fun original games

3. They are working with bright (Japanese) Indie developers

I love it.

You made an "interesting" dinner.

This is always a nice way to say something sucks.

david61983

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By david61983
Member since 2013 • 288 Posts

Nintendo really screwed the pooch with the Wii and Wii U. What they had to do was quite simple as Scottpsfan said. Simply make a true next gen console, call it the Wii 2, and price it accordingly. It wouldn't have to be quite as powerful as the PS4. Xbone specs would probably be enough. Get rid of the stupid tablet, make a real controller, and price it around $350. Then do whatever you have to do to get back in the good graces of 3rd party developers. They should have done all of this and released at the same time as the PS4 and Xbone and never made the stupid Wii U in the first place.

At that point the Nintendo console would be the default choice of most gamers. Most people only buy one console and the Nintendo one would make the most sense as it's the only place you can get Mario, Zelda, Metroid, Donkey Kong, Pikmin, etc. Imagine if you could play all the Nintendo exclusives with true next gen graphics while also getting true next versions of GTA, Red Dead, Assassins Creed, Batman Arkham Knight, Call of Duty, Bioshock, Tomb Raider, Watch Dogs, the Witcher 3, Destiny, etc. If you're only getting one next gen console wouldn't the Nintendo one make the most sense for most people under my scenario? I truly don't understand why Nintendo is so incompetent.

DJ-Lafleur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#34 DJ-Lafleur
Member since 2007 • 35604 Posts

Miiverse is interesting in theory.

Too bad a good chuck of posts that come from it make me lose brain cells...

Avatar image for FreedomFreeLife
FreedomFreeLife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 FreedomFreeLife
Member since 2013 • 3948 Posts

No online, no buy. Simple as that.

Avatar image for LegendaryBadass
LegendaryBadass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By LegendaryBadass
Member since 2005 • 379 Posts

@nintendoboy16:

I admire how Nintendo has stayed alive by not directly competing against these huge companies. It's hard to be at the top when a whale enters your swimming pool.

I don't have a Wii U, Xbox One, or PS4 yet, but to tell you the truth the Wii U sounds like fun. It just should be cheaper, with a higher res screen on the gamepad, and better online integration.

PS4hasNOgames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#38  Edited By PS4hasNOgames
Member since 2014 • 2620 Posts

@FreedomFreeLife said:

um, they have online...its just dead lol. I think some kids don't know how to set it up or their parents won't let.

KungfuKitten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#39  Edited By KungfuKitten
Member since 2006 • 27389 Posts

@david61983 said:

Nintendo really screwed the pooch with the Wii and Wii U. What they had to do was quite simple as Scottpsfan said. Simply make a true next gen console, call it the Wii 2, and price it accordingly. It wouldn't have to be quite as powerful as the PS4. Xbone specs would probably be enough. Get rid of the stupid tablet, make a real controller, and price it around $350. Then do whatever you have to do to get back in the good graces of 3rd party developers. They should have done all of this and released at the same time as the PS4 and Xbone and never made the stupid Wii U in the first place.

At that point the Nintendo console would be the default choice of most gamers. Most people only buy one console and the Nintendo one would make the most sense as it's the only place you can get Mario, Zelda, Metroid, Donkey Kong, Pikmin, etc. Imagine if you could play all the Nintendo exclusives with true next gen graphics while also getting true next versions of GTA, Red Dead, Assassins Creed, Batman Arkham Knight, Call of Duty, Bioshock, Tomb Raider, Watch Dogs, the Witcher 3, Destiny, etc. If you're only getting one next gen console wouldn't the Nintendo one make the most sense for most people under my scenario? I truly don't understand why Nintendo is so incompetent.

I doubt that people are waiting for Nintendo to take several steps back with a normal controller, and make a more expensive console that is more powerful, while still not attracting 3rd party devs. Only Nintendo games sell on Nintendo platforms, with some exceptional Nintendo-esque 3rd party games. What you are describing would be worse in pretty much every way except for visuals. And I think the Nintendo exclusive visuals look fantastic as they are. There's no upsides. only downsides if they went that route.

The Wii U gamepad is a definite upgrade from the gamecube controller and Wii controller. It's more comfy, offers wayyy more versatility. The gyroscopes work well, the screen is a nice addition and it has a mic. The triggers and buttons work better. It's better in pretty much every way. I don't get this idea of going back to a 'normal' controller. It's like riding a horse when everyone else is driving a car. Maybe it's what you're used to but that doesn't make it better.

Pffrbt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Pffrbt
Member since 2010 • 6612 Posts

@scottpsfan14 said:

A massive Mario game called 'Super Mario Revolution'. The true successor to Mario 64. An epic adventure. Not just a 3D version of Super Mario Bros like Super Mario 3D World is.

But you already got Sunshine and 3D World isn't just a 3D version of Super Mario Bros since it's actually fun to play and it's better than Mario 64 ever was.

Avatar image for FreedomFreeLife
FreedomFreeLife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 FreedomFreeLife
Member since 2013 • 3948 Posts

@ps4hasnogames said:

@FreedomFreeLife said:

um, they have online...its just dead lol. I think some kids don't know how to set it up or their parents won't let.

dead and most games dont support online. games that support online has no cloud, no stats, no rank, no dlc, no trophies/achivements, NOTHING. Wii U online is like PS2 online back in 2002.

AznbkdX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#42  Edited By AznbkdX
Member since 2012 • 4284 Posts

I can agree with most of those points. The online system is iffy though so not so much that one. Browser, Miiverse, and game captures is nice at least but that's as far as it goes. Otherwise the only point that is right but also pointless imo is the new character one. It's true that there are new characters, but as he says literally right after that (and even in the portion) very few of those new characters are characters that most "core" gamers give a crap about. Dillon? Who the hell is he? Mallo? He's wearing a diaper! Rosalina? Hey, it's Peach but taller! (honestly this one is a stretch gamer wise). Mii? wtf Nintendo casual crap! I can go on and on and on...

I know... he made a good point about new characters. Too bad it doesn't matter to a good amount of the people who actually read Kotaku.

david61983

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By david61983
Member since 2013 • 288 Posts

@KungfuKitten: I meant make a controller like that on the PS4 or Xbone. Of course don't make one like the Wii or Gamecube. Maybe I'm the only one, but I'd love a true next gen system by Nintendo comparable to the PS4 where you could play Nintendo exclusives but also play all the good 3rd party titles in true next gen form.

Avatar image for NathanDrakeSwag
NathanDrakeSwag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 NathanDrakeSwag
Member since 2013 • 17392 Posts

They aren't doing anything right. Wiiu is the biggest flop of a console in decades and handhelds are dead outside japan. Nintendo won't be making hardware much longer and sheeps need to face that reality.

LegatoSkyheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#46  Edited By LegatoSkyheart
Member since 2009 • 29733 Posts

There's only one thing Nintendo is doing right and that's Delivering on the Games.

While Sony and Microsoft duke it out on Resolution Gate or Whatever BS PR that Fanboys are eating these days.

Nintendo is Funding and Providing Amazing Games like The Wonderful 101, Pikmin 3, Super Mario 3D World, Mario Kart 8, Kid Icarus Uprising, and 2013's GOTY Zelda A Link Between Worlds.

They Also seem to be giving a lot more crap on Localizations as well, Heck Who thought Tomodachi Life was going to be coming to North America? Anyone? Also The Fact Nintendo has been Hyping up Xenoblade 2 (Project X for you all) for the past 2 years and giving North America AND Europe Earthbound just shows Nintendo is doing more on the Localization Process more than ever before, wouldn't be surprised if we see Mother 1 and 3 on WiiU thanks to Nintendo starting releasing GBA Games on the WiiU Virtual Console.

And Last Nintendo is hosting a SMASH BROS INVATIONAL TOURNAMENT at E3. That's a COMPLETE 180 from last year where they tried to take down Melee off the EVO Rosters.

Nintendo is not doing good on their console space, but they're taking MASSIVE steps towards a better future. To many these look like baby steps, but to me as a long time Nintendo fan, I can see that Nintendo is changing and it might be for the better.

Optical_Order

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Optical_Order
Member since 2008 • 5100 Posts

You know, maybe this Wii U suck fest will be good for them.

They've learned they can't rely on casual gamers to buy their systems, however they also learned over the years that innovation really does pay off. Nintendo has always seemed willing to try new things. Maybe now they can limit their margin of error by focusing on the people who will actually look to buy their console every generation while maintaining interesting approaches on their games and tech.

PurpleMan5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By PurpleMan5000
Member since 2011 • 10531 Posts

@scottpsfan14 said:
@Pffrbt said:

@scottpsfan14 said:

A massive Mario game called 'Super Mario Revolution'. The true successor to Mario 64. An epic adventure. Not just a 3D version of Super Mario Bros like Super Mario 3D World is.

But you already got Sunshine and 3D World isn't just a 3D version of Super Mario Bros since it's actually fun to play and it's better than Mario 64 ever was.

No. No just no. Nintensheep have got to learn that what Nintendo are doing is bad. They are squandering their money they made with the Wii and DS and for what? The Wii U? Mario 64 is a better game than any mario game on Wii U. Fact.

Mario 64 is the 4th best 3D Mario game. From best to worst, they are

1. 3D World
  2. Galaxy 2
  3. Galaxy
  4. 64
  5. Sunshine
  6. 3D Land
PurpleMan5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By PurpleMan5000
Member since 2011 • 10531 Posts

@scottpsfan14 said:
@PurpleMan5000 said:

@scottpsfan14 said:

No. No just no. Nintensheep have got to learn that what Nintendo are doing is bad. They are squandering their money they made with the Wii and DS and for what? The Wii U? Mario 64 is a better game than any mario game on Wii U. Fact.

Mario 64 is the 4th best 3D Mario game. From best to worst, they are

1. 3D World
  2. Galaxy 2
  3. Galaxy
  4. 64
  5. Sunshine
  6. 3D Land

Thats your opinion.

Nope. Mario 64 is worse than every Mario game on Wii U. Fact.