Kinect Sports Rivals Not Doing Well Critically

• 65 results
#1 Edited by IMAHAPYHIPPO (2604 posts) -

Our own Gamespot slapped it with a 5, and it's sitting at 64 on Metacritic. I never had much hope for this -- nor would I have ever purchased it if it got 10's -- but it's seems this is even more reason why Kinect wasn't necessary for the Xbox One.

I, for one, would have much preferred to buy mine at 400$ and not bothered with the Kinect. My center speaker of my surround sound renders it almost obsolete if I try communicating with the system while anything's playing.

Bummer...

#2 Edited by KBFloYd (13808 posts) -

a kinect game with bad reviews?

#3 Posted by Vatusus (4691 posts) -

lol

whats funny though, is that Sony was the 1st to do somthin good with its camera with The Playroom. And its free

#4 Posted by xhawk27 (7345 posts) -

And yet Sony made it's controller compatible with it's Camera, I guess that was money wasted.

#5 Edited by xhawk27 (7345 posts) -

@Vatusus said:

lol

whats funny though, is that Sony was the 1st to do somthin good with its camera with The Playroom. And its free

You can't compare a demo with a full game. I bet the Playroom if rated would get a 3. lol

#6 Posted by Vatusus (4691 posts) -

@xhawk27 said:

@Vatusus said:

lol

You can't compare a demo with a full game. I bet the Playroom if rated would get a 3. lol

"I bet"

If you have nothing more to add other than speculation, then dont add anything

#7 Edited by Shewgenja (9619 posts) -

KILL IT WITH FIRE!

#8 Posted by Salt_The_Fries (8991 posts) -

Rare deserve a lot better :(

#9 Posted by chikenfriedrice (10526 posts) -

Lock this cow circle jerk....we already have a thread

#10 Edited by getyeryayasout (7599 posts) -

@Shewgenja said:

KILL IT WITH FIRE!

Don't bother, they'll just put it out.

#11 Edited by Nengo_Flow (9830 posts) -

@KBFloYd said:

a kinect game with bad reviews?

some lems around here where saying it was looking good and that it was going to be the definitive Kinect game that would solidify Kinects 2.0s functionality as a true gaming device.

But yeah there was a couple lems here saying that the game look promising.

#12 Edited by IMAHAPYHIPPO (2604 posts) -

@chikenfriedrice said:

So quick with assumptions on these boards. I have an Xbox One, which I like very much. I'm allowed to not like Kinect without having an agenda to praise Sony's console at the same time.

#13 Edited by highking_kallor (524 posts) -

@chikenfriedrice said:

Jealous cause you don’t have anything to bring to the party?

#14 Edited by chikenfriedrice (10526 posts) -

@IMAHAPYHIPPO said:

@chikenfriedrice said:

So quick with assumptions on these boards. I have an Xbox One, which I like very much. I'm allowed to not like Kinect without having an agenda to praise Sony's console at the same time.

Talking about all the cows that already made comments in the other thread rehashing their nonsense in this one.

Also I am happy they included Kinect because I enjoy it's non gaming functions....the way they integrated the Kinect with the Xbox One is great. Using for gaming purposes ( other than voice commands ) is another story.

#15 Posted by chikenfriedrice (10526 posts) -

@highking_kallor said:

@chikenfriedrice said:

What am I supposed to bring? Chips, salsa?

#16 Posted by highking_kallor (524 posts) -

@chikenfriedrice said:

@highking_kallor said:

@chikenfriedrice said:

How about a brain?

#17 Posted by chikenfriedrice (10526 posts) -

@highking_kallor said:

@chikenfriedrice said:

@highking_kallor said:

@chikenfriedrice said:

How about a brain?

Oh that was brilliant....really showing off yours right now lol

#18 Edited by TigerSuperman (2383 posts) -

Like how everyone ignores the fact that the actual things the reviewers praise are the controls, scanning, and accuracy. The games does show Kinect works, it's the game that's actually not very good. Killzone proves the PS4 controller is crap because half the features don't work and a half-assed touch pad implementation. But nobody would agree with that, yet they would for Kinect? Hmm.

Now whether or not they make a good game with Kinect is another story.

#19 Posted by highking_kallor (524 posts) -

@chikenfriedrice said:

@highking_kallor said:

@chikenfriedrice said:

@highking_kallor said:

@chikenfriedrice said:

How about a brain?

Oh that was brilliant....really showing off yours right now lol

Thanks

#20 Posted by juarbles (801 posts) -

In lemmings' standards that's an amazing score. I'm sure 4 year olds and soccer moms will be thrilled by the game. Unfortunately for real gaming standards games like this are less entertaining than a bad case of gonorrhea. But we shouldn't juge lems too harsh since that's all they have and that's all they know about.

#21 Posted by bobbetybob (19290 posts) -
@chikenfriedrice said:

@IMAHAPYHIPPO said:

@chikenfriedrice said:

Talking about all the cows that already made comments in the other thread rehashing their nonsense in this one.

Also I am happy they included Kinect because I enjoy it's non gaming functions....the way they integrated the Kinect with the Xbox One is great. Using for gaming purposes ( other than voice commands ) is another story.

You mean the non gaming functions that can be achieved with literally any microphone including the headset they gave you with the Xbone.

Kinect is a great piece of technology but it has absolutely no place in a games console.

#22 Edited by chikenfriedrice (10526 posts) -

@bobbetybob said:
@chikenfriedrice said:

@IMAHAPYHIPPO said:

@chikenfriedrice said:

You mean the non gaming functions that can be achieved with literally any microphone including the headset they gave you with the Xbone.

Kinect is a great piece of technology but it has absolutely no place in a games console.

Yes, I would love to wear my headset all day like I work at a call center.

#23 Posted by Chutebox (37356 posts) -

@chikenfriedrice: Do you use tv speakers or a surround system? Honest question, because for me the voice commands are worthless and I'm guessing it's because of the speakers (which I'd MUCH rather have than voice commands).

#24 Posted by lundy86_4 (43526 posts) -

Was anybody expecting more?

@chikenfriedrice said:

Update your thread, yo.

#25 Posted by bobbetybob (19290 posts) -
@chikenfriedrice said:

@bobbetybob said:
@chikenfriedrice said:

@IMAHAPYHIPPO said:

@chikenfriedrice said:

Ok so you admit that it's shit then, that's one step in the right direction. Microsoft could easily allow for any USB mic to be use and you'd get the same experience as the Kinect is giving you right now without having to wear a headset.

#26 Edited by UnbiasedPoster (875 posts) -

In other news, water is wet.

#27 Posted by SolidTy (43766 posts) -

I feel bad for people that actually thought this would do well critically.

If people know what they are buying for $60 going into it, great, but for those that somehow thought this game was going to be an EPIC return to form and redeem Kinect for RARE, I feel bad. I could do nothing to convince them otherwise until this moment...but that's until RARE announces their next big Kinect game and the cycle repeats.

The problem was RARE's major talent exodus. They are RARE in name only.

#28 Posted by chikenfriedrice (10526 posts) -

@Chutebox said:

@chikenfriedrice: Do you use tv speakers or a surround system? Honest question, because for me the voice commands are worthless and I'm guessing it's because of the speakers (which I'd MUCH rather have than voice commands).

Yeah I have a 5.1 surround sound system with an audio receiver. I moved my center speaker away from the Kinect and I don't have a problem.

#29 Edited by misterpmedia (3468 posts) -

The Fighter Within & Kinect Sports Rivals both AAA in terms of budget/dev time both flopping does not paint the Kinect 2.0 as some necessary gaming implement. Fighter Within is an embarrassing game so you would think the home grown Kinect games would be a solid hit. I guess for the people it has yet to convince can hold off and see if D4 does anything worth while with it. Pretty sure that latency quote from Carmack is going to continually come around and bite them on the ass time and time again.

edit: The move can be seen equally as a motion control joke too, but at least it works better than Kinect thanks to direct input.

#30 Posted by chikenfriedrice (10526 posts) -

@bobbetybob said:
@chikenfriedrice said:

@bobbetybob said:
@chikenfriedrice said:

@IMAHAPYHIPPO said:

@chikenfriedrice said:

Ok so you admit that it's shit then, that's one step in the right direction. Microsoft could easily allow for any USB mic to be use and you'd get the same experience as the Kinect is giving you right now without having to wear a headset.

Shouldn't put words in my mouth....idk how you get it's shit from what I said. Who cares what MS could have done.....I like what they did do and as you stated it's a nice piece of tech.

#31 Posted by IMAHAPYHIPPO (2604 posts) -

@Chutebox said:

I'm on the same page. The voice commands are cool when they work, but I'm not disabling a 500$ surround sound setup so I can talk to my console. The advantage of having those voice commands were implemented so I don't have to use my controller when I want to switch off Netflix, but when I'm watching something, Kinect doesn't like to hear me, kind of relegating one of its main purposes moot.

#32 Edited by I_can_haz (6551 posts) -

Were you expecting a Kinect game to score well?

#33 Edited by chikenfriedrice (10526 posts) -

@IMAHAPYHIPPO said:

@Chutebox said:

I'm on the same page. The voice commands are cool when they work, but I'm not disabling a 500$ surround sound setup so I can talk to my console. The advantage of having those voice commands were implemented so I don't have to use my controller when I want to switch off Netflix, but when I'm watching something, Kinect doesn't like to hear me, kind of relegating one of its main purposes moot.

Like I told Chutebox I also have an expensive surround sound system and I like my movies and games loud.....The Kinect sensor used to be right above my center speaker, I moved the center speaker to the wall away from the Kinect and calibrated it and it works well.....not perfect but about 90% of the time it works.

#34 Posted by getyeryayasout (7599 posts) -

@SolidTy: Yeah Rare had an exodus (let's face it, it was dying once the Stampers moved on), but this is still a major MS first party studio, and they have all the resources in the world to make this game the best it can be. If this is the best that that team could come up with, what are third parties going to be able to do with that POS? They should rename it The Albatross.

#35 Posted by IMAHAPYHIPPO (2604 posts) -

@getyeryayasout said:

@SolidTy: Yeah Rare had an exodus (let's face it, it was dying once the Stampers moved on), but this is still a major MS first party studio, and they have all the resources in the world to make this game the best it can be. If this is the best that that team could come up with, what are third parties going to be able to do with that POS? They should rename it The Albatross.

I loathe Microsoft for what happened to Rare, but the hopes of seeing those franchises coming back is the main reason I keep buying Microsoft consoles.

#36 Edited by SolidTy (43766 posts) -

@getyeryayasout said:

The Stampers. There departure sparked a domino effect that radically changed (I would argue for the worse) RARE. :( Then a Kinect engineer (Scott something) was put in charge of RARE, and since then their hires and direction have been altered.

That's an excellent point regarding 3rd party studios and Kinect...The Albatross. "The Rime of the Ancient Mariner", lmao. Nice reference.

#37 Posted by IMAHAPYHIPPO (2604 posts) -

@chikenfriedrice: It's a nice idea. I'll have to try it out at some point, but sadly my entertainment area centers around a fireplace, so there's not many options to put things, other than raising my TV mount three or four inches, which would cost me about 100$ minimum. But that's good to know for the future, thanks.

#38 Edited by xhawk27 (7345 posts) -

I laugh at all the reviewers that keep saying when they review Kinect games that they all seem to say you are fighting the game. That is their problem. They should let their bodies go limp like if you were drunk. Playing Kinect games like that is very delightful. :D

All you haters better realize that Motion Gaming is the Future. So don't fight it anymore! <_<

Embrace it because it's never going away, Hahahhahahahahahahahahhaahhahahaaaaaaaaahhahahahahahahahahahahhahahahhaha!

>_> sorry got carried away!

#40 Posted by Shewgenja (9619 posts) -

@chikenfriedrice said:

@IMAHAPYHIPPO said:

@chikenfriedrice said:

Just remember, you're on a gaming websites forum.

#42 Posted by jeffmonster (511 posts) -

I'm actually surprised there is a few positive reviews. I'm kinda intrigued. Maybe I'll pick it up when it hits $20

#43 Edited by locopatho (20375 posts) -

"Kinect Sports Rivals Not Doing Well Critically"

Let's just go ahead and remove a couple words to make it even more accurate:

"Kinect Not Doing Well Critically"

There we go :P

Oh Microsoft. Didn't you see motion gaming die on the Wii years ago?

#44 Edited by OhSnapitz (18456 posts) -

@TigerSuperman said:

Like how everyone ignores the fact that the actual things the reviewers praise are the controls, scanning, and accuracy. The games does show Kinect works, it's the game that's actually not very good. Killzone proves the PS4 controller is crap because half the features don't work and a half-assed touch pad implementation. But nobody would agree with that, yet they would for Kinect? Hmm.

Maybe you should return your DS4 there buddy. I NEVER had issues with the TP during KZSF.

#45 Edited by OhSnapitz (18456 posts) -

@TigerSuperman said:

Maybe you should return your DS4 there buddy. I NEVER had issues with the TP during KZSF.

#46 Edited by sailor232 (4819 posts) -

@TigerSuperman said:

This guy gets it, but everyone else seems to ignore it and make up their own points on why Kinect sucks.

#47 Edited by schu (9279 posts) -

@sailor232 said:

@TigerSuperman said:

This guy gets it, but everyone else seems to ignore it and make up their own points on why Kinect sucks.

I'm glad that it works so well for all those great games that don't exist that use it.

Until one arrives, it means nothing.

#48 Posted by PrincessGomez92 (3611 posts) -

No surprise there.

#49 Posted by sailor232 (4819 posts) -

@schu said:

@sailor232 said:

@TigerSuperman said:

I'm glad that it works so well for all those great games that don't exist that use it.

Until one arrives, it means nothing.

Agreed, there needs to be a good game for it, but this proves that Kinect works. No one is saying "the game sucks", everyone is saying "Kinect sucks", which is backwards.

#50 Posted by MonsieurX (30425 posts) -

Still better than Knack :(