Kinect Sports Rivals Hype Thread

Posted by chikenfriedrice (10624 posts) 11 months, 1 day ago

Poll: Kinect Sports Rivals Hype Thread (85 votes)

AAAA 19%
AAA 19%
AA 33%
A 22%
B 19%

With the upcoming release of Kinect Sports Rivals on April 8th, it's time to predict the score.

I am going with a solid 7.5....I can't wait to check out the Avatar Creator.

IGN Preview

#201 Edited by Antwan3K (2363 posts) -

@Dire_Weasel: I would have to agree, "waggle" is dead.. Kinect 2.0 doesn't typically provide "waggle" though in my opinion.. Sure the Fighter Within is a horrible example of what a Kinect game can be but that isn't necessarily the bar by which the usefulness of the device should be judged..

As it stands (in my personal experience), full-body motion tracking, facial recognition/scanning, hands-free voice commands, and 1080p video output are the true reasons why the Kinect 2.0 is useful and there are already justifiable examples of these uses on Xbox One:

* Xbox Fitness is a fitness game that truly WORKS thanks to Kinect 2.0.. Real fitness videos like P90X, Insanity, and more are greatly enhanced by motion tracking to give you real-time feedback.. it really serves to ensure you can get a visual indication of whether you are doing the movements correctly and also a rating of how much effort you are putting in.. being able to show your heart rate is also a cool feature.. regardless of your feelings about Kinect, this type of motion tracking and instant feedback isn't possible on the PS4 or the Wii U.. Also, Battlefield 4 does an amazing job of tracking your head so that you can look around while driving vehicles.. Xbox Fitness' usage of the Kinect camera is huge and Battlefield 4's is slight.. BOTH serve as good examples of motion control (not "waggle") done correctly..

* facial recognition is used so that multiple users can instantly get to their content without having to pick up a controller.. "Xbox, show my stuff" is all that needs to be said and a different user is logged in.. again, something that can only be done on Xbox One thanks to the included Kinect.. plus facial scanning is simply amazing for character creation and Kinect Sports Rivals already showcases this.. Hopefully games like Skyrim and Mass Effect take advantage of this tech..

* hands-free voice commands are extremely useful for situations when you want to make a quick command and you don't have the controller in front of you.. While watching Netflix or Hulu, your controller is usually powered down after awhile.. instead of reaching for the controller and trying to power it back up, it really nice to be able to simply say "Xbox, pause" while on the way to the restroom or kitchen.. many people try to point to the PS4's usage of a microphone headset for voice commands as a reason why you don't "need" a camera for that purpose.. but if you have to power up your controller and plug in a microphone, you might as well just use the controller you already have in your hands to make the command you were intending to make.. being able to make voice commands WITHOUT a controller is a big differentiator..

* HD video for Skype and Twitch are another couple reasons to own the Kinect camera.. As someone who uses both services regularly, I really appreciate that Kinect is packed in..

* And a party game like Kinect Sports Rival is useful for that one particular purpose: doing some virtual bowling at the house with friends and family (hopefully over drinks).. Does the game have a deep single player offering, engaging story mode, and tons of content to justify the $60 price tag?.. nope and THATS why it is receiving some rather harsh review scores.. as a free pack-in for the Xbox One a few years down the road or a $20 discounted game down the line, the value of what it is trying to do exponentially increases.. I agree, KSR isn't a good showing as a standalone game for $60, no arguments there.. but in this post-Wii era of "waggle is dead", alot of people still would like a party game to play with friends/family and KSR fills that niche.. again, if Microsoft packs this game in as a free download in the future, it will be a great showcase for new Xbox One owners just like Wii Sports was for the original Wii.. but yea, it's just not going to do that for $60.. (full disclosure: I plan on getting the game for drunken bowling with friends even at $60. I can certainly understand why I'm a small minority on the matter though)

Sorry, for the mini-rant but more and more people act like a single game is supposed to justify the Kinect 2.0 when in reality, it is a collaborated number of added features and capabilities that make the device useful.. And considering that right now you can get a Titanfall Xbox One bundle for $449, that essentially makes the Kinect 2.0 a FREE pack-in.. as a $100 add-on for early adopters, I can understand many of the complaints.. Everything I mentioned is a nicety, not a necessity.. so asking an extra $100 for niceties is totally subjective and that perceived value isn't guaranteed.. but what if those niceties were FREE?.. wouldn't a free Kinect 2.0 serve to enhance the entire Xbox One package if/when it is priced equally with the competition?.. Eventually, Microsoft is going to continue to drop the price of the Xbox One without removing the Kinect.. it's already happening as a matter of fact.. like I said, anyone who buys the Titanfall or Forza 5 Xbox One bundles is essentially getting a free Kinect in comparison to buying a PS4 + one game.. there's little room for complaint about a FREE piece of hardware as advanced as the Kinect 2.0 that brings the number of little extra features that it does.. at zero cost to the consumer (in comparison to what the competition is offering), the Kinect is immediately justified..

R.I.P to "waggle".. Long live full-body motion tracking, facial recognition/scanning, hands-free voice commands, and 1080p video output..

#202 Posted by _Matt_ (9069 posts) -

@CrownKingArthur said:

i think this will be the best game called 'kinect sports rivals' released this decade

#DealWithIt

Hmm your ideas intrigue me, and I would like to subscribe to your newsletter.

But I feel it will be the worst game titled 'Kinect Sports Rivals' released this decade. Come at me bro :P

#203 Posted by regnaston (261 posts) -

I bought this game today. (played the demo previously).

It is not my normal cup of tea, but it is a fun family/party game (I like more online games)

I would give it somewhere between 7.0 - 7.9 /10

#204 Posted by chikenfriedrice (10624 posts) -

@Antwan3K: Well done

#205 Posted by CrownKingArthur (5085 posts) -

@_Matt_ said:

@CrownKingArthur said:

i think this will be the best game called 'kinect sports rivals' released this decade

#DealWithIt

But I feel it will be the worst game titled 'Kinect Sports Rivals' released this decade. Come at me bro :P

i come at you my bro with a compromise

schrodinger's kinect sports rivals

it's both the best, and the worst game released this gen with the name 'kinect sports rivals'! look at that. we should be diplomats.

anyway, i'm waiting for the sequel. "Erect sports rivals". I hear it's gonna be hard.

#206 Edited by _Matt_ (9069 posts) -

@CrownKingArthur said:

@_Matt_ said:

@CrownKingArthur said:

#DealWithIt

it's both the best, and the worst game released this gen with the name 'kinect sports rivals'! look at that. we should be diplomats.

anyway, i'm waiting for the sequel. "Erect sports rivals". I hear it's gonna be hard.

Haha that was a splendid compromise. I shall agree with that and have a toastie in your honour...

Ahh yes, of course, I've heard a lot of people have been waiting for that to 'come'. :P

#207 Edited by Bigboi500 (30428 posts) -

Floooooop!

#209 Posted by Stevo_the_gamer (43177 posts) -

One of the premier "flagship" Kinect games, and it flops right on its face. Totally shows the worth of Kinect being included and the value of it gamewise...

#210 Edited by getyeryayasout (7972 posts) -

@_Matt_ said:

@CrownKingArthur said:

@_Matt_ said:

@CrownKingArthur said:

#DealWithIt

Haha that was a splendid compromise. I shall agree with that and have a toastie in your honour...

Ahh yes, of course, I've heard a lot of people have been waiting for that to 'come'. :P

I find all this talk of 'ESR' a little...premature (sunglasses/yeaaaaaah!)

#211 Edited by Puggy301 (160 posts) -

@summerparadise said:

@Telekill said:

Hype threads for Titanfall, Dead Rising 3 and Forza, I can at least understand... but Kinect Sports Rivals... hype thread? Really?

Because its AAA game. Also it will sell very well like other Kinect games.

Sony gamers are ANTI-PARTY gamers. PS4 not have party games, Wii U and Xbox One has.

Too bad no one showed up for this particular party. You'd have more fun at a triple funeral, followed by 4 hours of root canal surgery, then you would playing this Kinect-driven party game.

And AAA is right. This game, along with kinect, belongs in the minor leagues.